UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Full moon hunting
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DMW
UKC Forum Member

Full moon hunting

Just wondering about your thoughts on hunting when the moon is full?

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr., Slow Talking Buzz bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Last edited by DMW on 02-08-2018 at 12:27 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-08-2018 12:02 AM
DMW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMW Click here to Send DMW a Private Message Visit DMW's homepage! Find more posts by DMW Add DMW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Full moon

Agree 100% with your post, find out if you have a "coondog" or just a dog that operates in certain conditions. I do not pay any attention to a full moon, tree just as many as any other time. Treed coons last week during super moon bright as you can get. JS. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 02-08-2018 at 01:35 AM

Old Post 02-08-2018 12:31 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Melblank
UKC Forum Member

Seems coons run further before climbing. Just an observation.

Old Post 02-08-2018 12:51 AM
Melblank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Melblank Click here to Send Melblank a Private Message Find more posts by Melblank Add Melblank to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

What I turn loose usually determines whether I like a full moon night or not. Lol

Old Post 02-08-2018 02:05 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Billy

Your post tells the true story, it sure depends on what a man is hunting. A coondog does not know the difference and you don't have to make excuses! Dave

Old Post 02-08-2018 03:33 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Seems certain times of the year the moon plays more of a role in coon movement. In my experience late nov. Thu first week of jan. the moon knocks coon movement down at least that's been my experience in IN. I also think a well fed coon, which we have here, don't need much of an excuse not to move.

Old Post 02-08-2018 09:41 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Hate to agree with Dave. lol But it has more to do with what is on your leash than the moon. The guys I hunt with 1 set treed 5 the other guys treed 4 I got under 3 the night of the super moon. JS

Old Post 02-08-2018 12:32 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I use to not like full moon hunting. Then I got to see a buddies dog operate on a full moon. That good dog changed my mind.

One thing I do notice down here is they don't want to look as good on a full moon. Especially those in a pine tree. They will be at the very top and looking straight up and not moving their head.

Old Post 02-08-2018 12:39 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsOlMander
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Especially those in a pine tree. They will be at the very top and looking straight up and not moving their head.

i never believed this until i hunted one nite- and where we were hunting had a big drop off near the creek and back up on the trail where the truck was parked you could look back and see the tall magnolia the dogs treed on sticking up above all the other trees... and you could see the coon sitting in the tip top- looking straight up plain as day.

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Old Post 02-08-2018 03:34 PM
ItsOlMander is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsOlMander Click here to Send ItsOlMander a Private Message Find more posts by ItsOlMander Add ItsOlMander to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier
UKC Forum Member

Indiana Full Moon Hunting

Tell them your experience here Hobo! Seeing WAS believing!

Old Post 02-08-2018 06:34 PM
Hoosier is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Click here to Send Hoosier a Private Message Click Here to Email Hoosier Find more posts by Hoosier Add Hoosier to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Melblank
Seems coons run further before climbing. Just an observation.

Yep and don't look very much either.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 02-08-2018 06:45 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wdb91
UKC Forum Member

Seemed like in the summer I don’t better on full moons but now it’s been slow but still treeing some...and like melblank said I think they run further before they climb up

Old Post 02-09-2018 12:34 AM
Wdb91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wdb91 Click here to Send Wdb91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Wdb91 Find more posts by Wdb91 Add Wdb91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wdb91
UKC Forum Member

Seemed like in the summer I don’t better on full moons but now it’s been slow but still treeing some...and like melblank said I think they run further before they climb up

Old Post 02-09-2018 12:34 AM
Wdb91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wdb91 Click here to Send Wdb91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Wdb91 Find more posts by Wdb91 Add Wdb91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

coon not looking

One season years ago hunting with my brother-in-law we decided only to kill coon that wouldn't look. Our season was Dec-Jan. We harvested 21 coon, 19 boars and 2 sows. They sold as x-large and xx-large. This is in Oklahoma.

Old Post 02-09-2018 12:51 AM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

coon not looking

One season years ago hunting with my brother-in-law we decided only to kill coon that wouldn't look. Our season was Dec-Jan. We harvested 21 coon, 19 boars and 2 sows. They sold as x-large and xx-large. This is in Oklahoma.

Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

coon not looking

Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

coon not looking

Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

coon not looking