UKC Forums
Show all 18 posts from this thread on one page

UKC Forums (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php)
- UKC Coonhounds (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4)
-- Full moon hunting (http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?threadid=928499813)

Posted by DMW on 02-08-2018 12:02 AM:

Full moon hunting

Just wondering about your thoughts on hunting when the moon is full?

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr., Slow Talking Buzz bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Posted by Dave Richards on 02-08-2018 12:31 AM:

Full moon

Agree 100% with your post, find out if you have a "coondog" or just a dog that operates in certain conditions. I do not pay any attention to a full moon, tree just as many as any other time. Treed coons last week during super moon bright as you can get. JS. Dave

Posted by Melblank on 02-08-2018 12:51 AM:

Seems coons run further before climbing. Just an observation.

Posted by high ridge on 02-08-2018 02:05 AM:

What I turn loose usually determines whether I like a full moon night or not. Lol

Posted by Dave Richards on 02-08-2018 03:33 AM:

Billy

Your post tells the true story, it sure depends on what a man is hunting. A coondog does not know the difference and you don't have to make excuses! Dave

Posted by sleepy head on 02-08-2018 09:41 AM:

Seems certain times of the year the moon plays more of a role in coon movement. In my experience late nov. Thu first week of jan. the moon knocks coon movement down at least that's been my experience in IN. I also think a well fed coon, which we have here, don't need much of an excuse not to move.

Posted by Roy Grant on 02-08-2018 12:32 PM:

Hate to agree with Dave. lol But it has more to do with what is on your leash than the moon. The guys I hunt with 1 set treed 5 the other guys treed 4 I got under 3 the night of the super moon. JS

Posted by Bruce m. Conkey on 02-08-2018 12:39 PM:

I use to not like full moon hunting. Then I got to see a buddies dog operate on a full moon. That good dog changed my mind.

One thing I do notice down here is they don't want to look as good on a full moon. Especially those in a pine tree. They will be at the very top and looking straight up and not moving their head.

Posted by ItsOlMander on 02-08-2018 03:34 PM:

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Especially those in a pine tree. They will be at the very top and looking straight up and not moving their head.

i never believed this until i hunted one nite- and where we were hunting had a big drop off near the creek and back up on the trail where the truck was parked you could look back and see the tall magnolia the dogs treed on sticking up above all the other trees... and you could see the coon sitting in the tip top- looking straight up plain as day.

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Posted by Hoosier on 02-08-2018 06:34 PM:

Indiana Full Moon Hunting

Tell them your experience here Hobo! Seeing WAS believing!

Posted by 4play on 02-08-2018 06:45 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Melblank
Seems coons run further before climbing. Just an observation.

Yep and don't look very much either.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Posted by Wdb91 on 02-09-2018 12:34 AM:

Seemed like in the summer I don’t better on full moons but now it’s been slow but still treeing some...and like melblank said I think they run further before they climb up

Posted by Wdb91 on 02-09-2018 12:34 AM:

Seemed like in the summer I don’t better on full moons but now it’s been slow but still treeing some...and like melblank said I think they run further before they climb up

Posted by Richard Edinger on 02-09-2018 12:51 AM:

coon not looking

One season years ago hunting with my brother-in-law we decided only to kill coon that wouldn't look. Our season was Dec-Jan. We harvested 21 coon, 19 boars and 2 sows. They sold as x-large and xx-large. This is in Oklahoma.

coon not looking

One season years ago hunting with my brother-in-law we decided only to kill coon that wouldn't look. Our season was Dec-Jan. We harvested 21 coon, 19 boars and 2 sows. They sold as x-large and xx-large. This is in Oklahoma.

coon not looking

coon not looking

coon not looking