UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > Training Black and Tans
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Training Black and Tans

Has anyone ever had a dog to run a track one way then turn around and run it the other way and do this on the same track all night. The gyp will run it to the tree the coon is up and then turn around and run it to the den it came from. I know this because I marked positions on the garmin and one tree had a coon the other was a den. Can this be corrected and how?

Last edited by Ridgerunner1988 on 12-14-2020 at 11:16 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-14-2020 11:12 PM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

Re: Training Black and Tans

quote:
Originally posted by Ridgerunner1988
Has anyone ever had a dog to run a track one way then turn around and run it the other way and do this on the same track all night. The gyp will run it to the tree the coon is up and then turn around and run it to the den it came from. I know this because I marked positions on the garmin and one tree had a coon the other was a den. Can this be corrected and how?

How old is she and whats her breeding?

319-201-8445

Old Post 12-15-2020 03:47 AM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Training Black and Tans

quote:
Originally posted by berger
How old is she and whats her breeding?
Little over 2 and Feeler bred which is basically Myers bred she goes back set um up ace Feelers screaming Beast and hobo hoss. She is bred very good.

Old Post 12-15-2020 04:46 AM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

line bred on ace

Had a female that would track a released coon back to the live trap

Old Post 12-15-2020 10:05 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

shoot coon out

Sounds like she would rather run track than tree. Had hunziker bred hounds that had a little too much tree.

Old Post 12-15-2020 10:07 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

Re: line bred on ace

quote:
Originally posted by Black Ash Bawl
Had a female that would track a released coon back to the live trap

I was just wondering about that if the dog was worked on a live trap and when the run it and tree if they run it backwards looking for it live in a trap.

319-201-8445

Old Post 12-15-2020 10:58 AM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

I never worked with a live trap just took with old dog. Dog started doing this a little while after I started hunting by itself.

Old Post 12-15-2020 04:10 PM
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

training

You can overdo the training part. Once they know what to do , quit the games and just hunt them. I have found that too much training with a coon tied up in the tree will lead to too much slick treeing . All I had to do was stop by a big tree and the dogs would be looking up to find the coon cage to tree on. MY current hound , showed her a caged coon 2 times, first time was not interested. Laid one track with live trapped coon and she found it and treed no problem. Then start hunting her, no more live trapped coon . Worked out much better.

Old Post 12-15-2020 07:38 PM
Boondok Kennels
UKC Forum Member

I had a black dog years ago from a pup. He would go back and forth on the track, basically run it to the tree and go backwards and repeat. At 11 months, I got to thinking I had a dud. Then one night my dad and I hunted with a guy and the dogs treed. I asked who those two dogs were that were treed with my dad’s dog. I didn’t recognize 2 of them. The guy said one was his. We couldn’t figure out the 3rd until we saw that black dog actually blowing the top out of that tree! He was a coondog from that night on. I never knew what clicked that night, but it did. Hopefully your female will click for you too. Good luck.

*Buck Creek Fancy
*Buck Creek Rambler
*Ch Blaster's Big Roller...RIP
*Buck Creek Sugie...RIP
*GrNiteCh Buck Creek Hitler...RIP

Old Post 12-26-2020 11:50 AM
Boondok Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Boondok Kennels Click here to Send Boondok Kennels a Private Message Find more posts by Boondok Kennels Add Boondok Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: Training Black and Tans

quote:
Originally posted by Ridgerunner1988

This was years ago... but when I was a kid a friend of mine was given a four year old Black and Tan female. We were told she was a good coon dog. She would hunt hard, hit a track, run it good... but once at the tree, would start back tracking. I had a male that would tree hard- and she, like clock work, would just take the track away from the tree. Hunter her alone, or with other dogs... same thing. I have no clue what her blood was... but yeah I've seen it. She never came around.

Old Post 01-21-2021 12:04 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Charlie Pride was known for it. I've seen several Bailey breed dogs do it.

Old Post 01-21-2021 01:28 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote