UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > Stephens cur ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jw1984
UKC Forum Member

Stephens cur ?

I have a Stephens cur female pup but she is pretty small just wondering if anybody hunts these little dogs on coons and how they handle it don’t want to get her ate up might just have to make her a squirrel dog.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-17-2018 09:58 AM
jw1984 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jw1984 Click here to Send jw1984 a Private Message Find more posts by jw1984 Add jw1984 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kyblackdogman
UKC Forum Member

I have three all are under 30 lbs I Coon hunt them they have no problem handling themselves. I’ve had these dogs for a long time now and they have more heart and grit than any I’ve found

Psalms 119:89

Old Post 06-17-2018 02:11 PM
kyblackdogman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kyblackdogman Click here to Send kyblackdogman a Private Message Click Here to Email kyblackdogman Find more posts by kyblackdogman Add kyblackdogman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jw1984
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the reply I’ve hunted mostly walker hounds but this little black dog is real smart and easy to handle I think she’ll make a pretty good tree dog

Old Post 06-19-2018 12:58 AM
jw1984 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jw1984 Click here to Send jw1984 a Private Message Find more posts by jw1984 Add jw1984 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nccatfisher
UKC Forum Member

I have one of the better ones I have ever had right now and 30# will get every bit of her. Weight has absolutely no bearing on how they perform. Once the coon goes up the tree she has done her job, it is our job to make sure the coon comes out dead.

https://sites.google.com/site/riverroadkennel/

Old Post 06-20-2018 04:26 PM
nccatfisher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nccatfisher Click here to Send nccatfisher a Private Message Click Here to Email nccatfisher Visit nccatfisher's homepage! Find more posts by nccatfisher Add nccatfisher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Randy Wolfe
UKC Forum Member

X 2 , Hunted A 22# Fyce On IN Coon For Near 10 Yrs & Never Had A Problem!1 1 Shot 1 Kill.

QUOTE]Originally posted by nccatfisher
I have one of the better ones I have ever had right now and 30# will get every bit of her. Weight has absolutely no bearing on how they perform. Once the coon goes up the tree she has done her job, it is our job to make sure the coon comes out dead. [/QUOTE]

Old Post 06-20-2018 04:42 PM
Randy Wolfe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Wolfe Click here to Send Randy Wolfe a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Wolfe Find more posts by Randy Wolfe Add Randy Wolfe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jw1984
UKC Forum Member

Very true any of you have any problems with coyotes getting after your dogs at night I’ve had it happen a couple times here in western Kentucky

Old Post 06-21-2018 01:09 AM
nccatfisher
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jw1984
Very true any of you have any problems with coyotes getting after your dogs at night I’ve had it happen a couple times here in western Kentucky
I have hunted in and around them for years, have had two actual encounters where they made contact with the dog. One in the day while squirrel hunting when I was hunting a smaller T/C years ago and they fully intended to kill her.

Luckily she got backed up into a big cypress stump and held them at bay to I arrived and they were so intent on getting her that they didn't know I was there to I started shotgunning them.

Another time a single jumped a big male cur I had at the tree and I suspect that was because he was close to a den and she had pups. Her mistake was he was the biggest dog I have ever owned and to I got there he was back on the tree and the leaves was all torn up and there was blood spattering here and there but he didn't have a mark on him. I guess she/he decided it was better to leave him alone.

I have had them get close many times and harass the dogs on the tree, a few times I have been able to sneak in without a light or with a red light and and get a shot in them. But many, many more times than not you never can get a light on them.

https://sites.google.com/site/riverroadkennel/

Old Post 06-25-2018 04:21 AM
nccatfisher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nccatfisher Click here to Send nccatfisher a Private Message Click Here to Email nccatfisher Visit nccatfisher's homepage! Find more posts by nccatfisher Add nccatfisher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote