UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Big Game Hunting > Training bear dogs
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
James50
UKC Forum Member

Training bear dogs

What does everyone do to train their bear dogs? I'm just curious if anyone out there does anything different than the norm and has success with it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-12-2016 12:53 AM
James50 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James50 Click here to Send James50 a Private Message Click Here to Email James50 Find more posts by James50 Add James50 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Temple
UKC Forum Member

Training dogs

I start mine on hogs. If he doesn't bay a hog pretty tight he usually won't bay a bear. Then I'll put them in a bigger pen ( 50 acres) and run hogs or fox. This teaches them how to run something. After they learn how to run I 'll put them on a bear with a few old dogs. If they will run and bay I'll continue to hunt them. Treeing usually comes slower. Don't like one too tree happy seems like they slick worse than others. I don't put them on a mean hog in the beginning just one that will just walk. If the dogs are real aggressive I go to steps two.

Old Post 04-13-2016 01:59 AM
Doug Temple is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Temple Click here to Send Doug Temple a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Temple Find more posts by Doug Temple Add Doug Temple to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zallison
UKC Forum Member

When they big enough to get thru woods take them with you best I've ever owned pretty much start themselves when put in the woods. They pick up more from being out and being around grown dogs. A dog that has a true hunt desire will do so you just need to keep them corrected and focused on desired game. Take them to trees and walk bear out let them see and run easy sight races if by the time they are a year old they are not completing races cull them. If more would do this the hound world would be back like it should be. Too many haul around 2 year old dogs call them young dogs these dogs and they don't finish races it's pathetic they should have been culled. A trail dog takes several years to complete but even though they make mistakes young you can tell the ones with the desire to make it.

Old Post 04-14-2016 11:50 AM
zallison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for zallison Click here to Send zallison a Private Message Click Here to Email zallison Find more posts by zallison Add zallison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobbycagle1
UKC Forum Member

Thinking about starting some English and Bluetick pups soon. Bear are getting really thick here in Arkansas.
Do you think you could bait em up and then cut your pups in on them to get em started?

Old Post 04-19-2016 02:34 AM
bobbycagle1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bobbycagle1 Click here to Send bobbycagle1 a Private Message Click Here to Email bobbycagle1 Find more posts by bobbycagle1 Add bobbycagle1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thundervalleyou
UKC Forum Member

Training beardogs

Baiting bear is fine to start your young dogs on, but everything comes to bait here in Maine. The best way to train young dogs on bear to get a good start dog. That way you'll bi-pass all the problems that will come your way. JMO Paul

Old Post 04-19-2016 12:02 PM
thundervalleyou is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thundervalleyou Click here to Send thundervalleyou a Private Message Click Here to Email thundervalleyou Find more posts by thundervalleyou Add thundervalleyou to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobbycagle1
UKC Forum Member

That's the key. Just how we train our coondogs. Just have to find a coondog that'll run bear? Not many people hunt bear with dogs around here will that I know.

Old Post 04-19-2016 06:14 PM
bobbycagle1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bobbycagle1 Click here to Send bobbycagle1 a Private Message Click Here to Email bobbycagle1 Find more posts by bobbycagle1 Add bobbycagle1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bayemup34
UKC Forum Member

If its legal to bait then thats what Id do, if its not then you didnt hear it from me. Also if you know a spot where theres a whole lotta bear and a good amount of food Id go in there and look around at night to see if I could find a hot track. If dogs will run deer that we consider trash without bein deer dogs, then they'll run a bear without bein bear dogs. They may not run it for miles and tree it the first few times but if they run a ways and quit they can only get better over time. You dont necessarily need a bear dog to make a bear dog, everybody has to start somewhere.

If they don't bay, they don't stay

Catch em and stretch em, tree em and free em

'PR' McPherson's Big Mouth Brandy

Old Post 04-19-2016 11:44 PM
Bayemup34 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bayemup34 Click here to Send Bayemup34 a Private Message Find more posts by Bayemup34 Add Bayemup34 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobbycagle1
UKC Forum Member

That's what I was thinking. We coonhunt and our old dogs are not trashiny thanks to the old trashbreaker pro and alpha. But my buddy has a blue gyp that just might run one and tree it. I've got 2 English pups that are ready to start. And we can bait the crap out of em. We couldn't bait the coons for the bears tearing our feeders up. I can't wait! Me and my buddy think bear hunting will be a blast. Y'all let me know all the ins and outs of it. Are there any safety precautions? Going into the tree? Sow and her cubs? Leashing Your dogs? Anything a man might need to know? Thanks

Old Post 04-19-2016 11:56 PM
James50
UKC Forum Member

You always want a one shot kill. An upset wounded bear will go through some dogs. Also be sure to leash your dogs at the tree before you shoot, that's another easy way to get a dog hurt or killed. Bear aren't like coon. What I mean by that is, its not uncommon to run one 7 or 8 miles. It really helps if you have a group to go with. Sure you can get it done with one or two dogs but not always. We hunt with about 10 people and about 10 dogs turned loose at a time.

Old Post 04-20-2016 03:39 AM
James50 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James50 Click here to Send James50 a Private Message Click Here to Email James50 Find more posts by James50 Add James50 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobbycagle1
UKC Forum Member

It'll be a blast! Thanks for the advice.

Old Post 04-29-2016 03:46 AM
sgradyfarms
UKC Forum Member

Training

Run to catch. Sounds simple until you try it.

Old Post 04-30-2016 02:38 AM
sgradyfarms is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sgradyfarms Click here to Send sgradyfarms a Private Message Click Here to Email sgradyfarms Find more posts by sgradyfarms Add sgradyfarms to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kardinalkennels
UKC Forum Member

Re: Training bear dogs

quote:
Originally posted by James50
What does everyone do to train their bear dogs? I'm just curious if anyone out there does anything different than the norm and has success with it.

You could get a million different answers on this. I have said it before yrs ago on her and I will say it again.

Stock means every thing. Two midgets can not make an EBA star. You need something with drive, grit, runs to catch, cold nosed but can move a old track not a boo hooo'er them type will never be able to put the heat on him enough to make him tree, must have feet, however I have seen boo hooers make good start dogs, konw your dog.

Your dog or pup has to have grit, and there is a fine line between grit and a mean dog, and a good prospect can become a mean dog if hunted with the wrong dogs.

MAIN THING !! Be involved with your pup, make it listen, make it understand you are the boss, earn its trust, once that is earned things become simpler if you have the right dog. I sold a pup once and the man said it wasn't any good, a cull it was a yr old and didn't have a name??? You can not take a two yr old dog out that can not load, gets car sick, never been exposed to water, off game, and gun shy and expect it to be a a good dog or know what it is doing regardless of stock.

Know what the right dog is for you, different areas require different dogs.

Not every dog makes a bear dog, it must show grit from 3 months old or you are wasting time and money, cut your losses and move on. The right stock doesn't mean it is the one, there are culls in all breeds, lines, and litters.

EXPOSER TO EVERYTHING!!! A dog that is shy or easyly rattled will not make a bear dog, I have seen few shy or timid dogs make bear dogs.

Right now thru Sept bear move alot, they are easy to find, look for trails, crossings, areas where bear are, again expose them to natural scent, this means lace your boots, get in the woods, and know what you are looking for and the end game, find the mass, and you will find exposure.

Remember it does not take 30 dogs, 10 truck loads of hunters to tree a bear, if you can't tree a bear with a single dog from time to time with a single dog it is time to reassess your goals, and dog.

I have been in the hunting dog business for 38 yrs, I can usually tell if a dog is going to be a good one by the time it is 6 months old or earlier. All dogs have flaws, know them by the time they are 8 months old.

Blood and fur in the mouth does not make that big of a difference with the right dog or dogs.

I have treed thousands of bear, only killed 6 in my life, one for the kill 3 because they were mean, and two from rattled hunters, sometimes you just have to get in there. The dogs that I hunt hard usually have life span of 8 yr tops, and have had no more than 8 bear killed to them. I have good dogs and spent a life time acquiring them.

Bottom line:

Have a harder head, more heart, been tougher, and have more desire than your pup or dog. Never gave up, having good a good bear dog is a constant up hill battle, and as soon as you find or make that special dog, start looking for another, sh!t happens. Go to them when they are treed, and be hard on them when they are wrong. Natural scent and timing Trumps everything, good luck on your training, keep your boots laced, and ALWAYS have a blue dog on the end of a lead.

It's late, been a long day, I think I have got on a rant and rambling and I am out, good luck.

Pups and started dogs available from time to time.

Old Post 05-01-2016 06:16 AM
kardinalkennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kardinalkennels Click here to Send kardinalkennels a Private Message Find more posts by kardinalkennels Add kardinalkennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James50
UKC Forum Member

That was a great post and spot on up until you said keep a blue dog....

Old Post 05-01-2016 11:58 AM
bobbycagle1
UKC Forum Member

Very good post. Enjoyed that.

Old Post 05-02-2016 04:01 AM
ttrusic
UKC Forum Member

pup training

if i did this right these were eight weeks old going 100 yards on scent piece of blue jean

Old Post 05-03-2016 07:01 AM
ttrusic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ttrusic Click here to Send ttrusic a Private Message Click Here to Email ttrusic Find more posts by ttrusic Add ttrusic to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ttrusic
UKC Forum Member

pup training

I agree with Doug I start them young and often on hogs and move them up if the video is right James50 this is the yound dog you helped me with third time seein some youngs hogs these are not pets if remember my crow was cut quick and bad these can help you in the long run just my opinionand the other two are some pups i am working now

two against one is fair

Last edited by ttrusic on 05-03-2016 at 07:49 AM

Old Post 05-03-2016 07:35 AM
ttrusic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ttrusic Click here to Send ttrusic a Private Message Click Here to Email ttrusic Find more posts by ttrusic Add ttrusic to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ttrusic
UKC Forum Member

pup training

my advice if you know you have a sow bear with a cub or two leave her alone she can cost you more than you can her. Find a good animal vet learn how to fix your own dogs and have a good time doing it. I agree with Kardinal the real way to get a great pack is to give them exposure and the hardest part for some seasoned hunters, cull. if he dosen't have it he just doesn't have it no matter the breed or breeding program sometimes they just don't work despite our best efforts. My dad use to say this a serious hunter will have serious dogs,,, I so-so hunter will have so-so dogs,, and a sorry hunter will always have sorry dogs and sorry excuses,,, don't make excuses for the dog or the man hunting him.

Old Post 05-03-2016 08:02 AM
BornAganBeagler
UKC Forum Member

Re: pup training

quote:
Originally posted by ttrusic
if i did this right these were eight weeks old going 100 yards on scent piece of blue jean

how are those black/white hounds bred?

Old Post 05-03-2016 03:41 PM
BornAganBeagler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BornAganBeagler Click here to Send BornAganBeagler a Private Message Click Here to Email BornAganBeagler Find more posts by BornAganBeagler Add BornAganBeagler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ttrusic
UKC Forum Member

training pups

the small ones are off our TJ dog and the dam is Sheba both are pure white clouds the two larger pups are about 12 weeks old and are from TJ and our Fan-c female all pure white clouds

Old Post 05-03-2016 06:21 PM
BornAganBeagler
UKC Forum Member

You sell any pups

Old Post 05-03-2016 06:33 PM
BornAganBeagler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BornAganBeagler Click here to Send BornAganBeagler a Private Message Click Here to Email BornAganBeagler Find more posts by BornAganBeagler Add BornAganBeagler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ttrusic
UKC Forum Member

training pups

some times usually when they are eight weeks old I have a pick of the litter male pup from TJ and Fan-c he is the very large pup but is only 12-13 weeks old right now do not have any female for sale 400.00 for him the the TJ and Sheba cross are all spoken for unless some one backs out one guy bought four

Old Post 05-03-2016 06:47 PM
Doug Temple
UKC Forum Member

Training Bear Dogs

I think ttrusic and KardinalKennels have hit the nail on the head. People spend too much time on a dog . Most of them at a early age you can tell if a pup has got what it takes. If he'll bay a caged coon at a early age he is worth keeping. If not move on to another pup. I bought four pups and at four months old one was really baying good. One a little and the other two none. At nine months old the same on a hog. At a year old only the one is left . He will bay tree and trail a little. Could have saved myself some time but wanted to give them a chance. This has happen often. A lot of the time you can tell at eight weeks old a lot about a pup. They have got to have brains to be a outstanding dog. Watching them around the pen will tell you a lot. To get a good dog go to a good hunter. Work with them early and often. If he has got it in him all you need to do is take him hunting. Just a thought are males or females better. I raise a lot of pups and have got a better percent of females that will work for me. But the best dogs I ever own were males.

Old Post 05-04-2016 12:48 AM
Doug Temple is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Temple Click here to Send Doug Temple a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Temple Find more posts by Doug Temple Add Doug Temple to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chevrolet
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Training bear dogs

quote:
Originally posted by kardinalkennels
You could get a million different answers on this. I have said it before yrs ago on her and I will say it again.

Your dog or pup has to have grit, and there is a fine line between grit and a mean dog, and a good prospect can become a mean dog if hunted with the wrong dogs.

Not every dog makes a bear dog, it must show grit from 3 months old or you are wasting time and money, cut your losses and move on. The right stock doesn't mean it is the one, there are culls in all breeds, lines, and litters.

EXPOSER TO EVERYTHING!!! A dog that is shy or easyly rattled will not make a bear dog, I have seen few shy or timid dogs make bear dogs.

I don't post on here much but...

I agree with a lot of what you say. However, I have a few "shy" dogs here. One is healing up from broken ribs and a punctured chest cavity. There was a day he could only be caught by those that fed him. The other can find a bear as good as any dog I know of. She has a nose that would give the best a run for their money. She is shy on the chain. That line produce a few stand-offish dogs, but they are far from short on grit, nose, brains, or abilities. I am willing to bet you would feed them.

I hear it often the dog growling in the box is gritty. Quite often it is the dog in the corner relaxed that is gritty. I have had many mean dogs hit the road the second they smell one.

I have so many, that the young dogs don't get hunted until around ten months to a year old. They are handled a little, but mostly allowed to mature. I do not fool with a hide, caged coon, or other off game. I have been to far too many coon trees from coon jumping up in front of dogs. . It is honestly simple, turn them loose with the broke dogs a few times. Turn them loose the young dogs on a hot one. The good ones will break themselves. They either make it or they don't. Hunting a natural stock tends to make starting them very easy. Not all will make it

John told me several simple things a few years back that stuck with me, but three in particular-

1) if you find someone that has better dogs than you, try to get some.
2) either the dog is where it should be, or not.
3) a dog is like an athlete, they need to be hunted several times a week.

Old Post 05-04-2016 02:29 AM
chevrolet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chevrolet Click here to Send chevrolet a Private Message Click Here to Email chevrolet Find more posts by chevrolet Add chevrolet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kordog
UKC Forum Member

Re: Training Bear Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Doug Temple
I think ttrusic and KardinalKennels have hit the nail on the head. People spend too much time on a dog . Most of them at a early age you can tell if a pup has got what it takes. If he'll bay a caged coon at a early age he is worth keeping. If not move on to another pup. I bought four pups and at four months old one was really baying good. One a little and the other two none. At nine months old the same on a hog. At a year old only the one is left . He will bay tree and trail a little. Could have saved myself some time but wanted to give them a chance. This has happen often. A lot of the time you can tell at eight weeks old a lot about a pup. They have got to have brains to be a outstanding dog. Watching them around the pen will tell you a lot. To get a good dog go to a good hunter. Work with them early and often. If he has got it in him all you need to do is take him hunting. Just a thought are males or females better. I raise a lot of pups and have got a better percent of females that will work for me. But the best dogs I ever own were males.
i have always found a bigger percentage of males that will stick with a bear,but females seem to be easier to get the brains from,and that is probably why less stick with bear.

Old Post 05-05-2016 12:34 PM
kordog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kordog Click here to Send kordog a Private Message Click Here to Email kordog Find more posts by kordog Add kordog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kirschner
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Training bear dogs

quote:
Originally posted by chevrolet
I don't post on here much but...

I agree with a lot of what you say. However, I have a few "shy" dogs here. One is healing up from broken ribs and a punctured chest cavity. There was a day he could only be caught by those that fed him. The other can find a bear as good as any dog I know of. She has a nose that would give the best a run for their money. She is shy on the chain. That line produce a few stand-offish dogs, but they are far from short on grit, nose, brains, or abilities. I am willing to bet you would feed them.

I hear it often the dog growling in the box is gritty. Quite often it is the dog in the corner relaxed that is gritty. I have had many mean dogs hit the road the second they smell one.

I have so many, that the young dogs don't get hunted until around ten months to a year old. They are handled a little, but mostly allowed to mature. I do not fool with a hide, caged coon, or other off game. I have been to far too many coon trees from coon jumping up in front of dogs. . It is honestly simple, turn them loose with the broke dogs a few times. Turn them loose the young dogs on a hot one. The good ones will break themselves. They either make it or they don't. Hunting a natural stock tends to make starting them very easy. Not all will make it

John told me several simple things a few years back that stuck with me, but three in particular-

1) if you find someone that has better dogs than you, try to get some.
2) either the dog is where it should be, or not.
3) a dog is like an athlete, they need to be hunted several times a week.

Those three lines really some it up. The one thing I hear guys say all the time is there is a fine line between gritty and a mean dog, I believe there's nothing further from the truth. Dogs certainly see well enough to tell a bear from a dog. Females I guess if you have the right stock can be as gritty as males. I lost four in the last year. Anyway all opinions aside, real dogs are in the woods a lot by real hunters.

906-250-0089
Upper MI

Last edited by kirschner on 05-05-2016 at 12:52 PM

Old Post 05-05-2016 12:49 PM
kirschner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kirschner Click here to Send kirschner a Private Message Click Here to Email kirschner Find more posts by kirschner Add kirschner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote