UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > the pride dog food
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lingarcur
UKC Forum Member

the pride dog food

Been feeding sport mix for about 6yrs but seems my dogs aren't doing as good so I was wondering who's feeding pride which formula and how much your feeding to an average size cur dog how's the dogs energy and how's the stool in the kennel thanks guys in advance

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-21-2014 06:11 AM
Lingarcur is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lingarcur Click here to Send Lingarcur a Private Message Click Here to Email Lingarcur Find more posts by Lingarcur Add Lingarcur to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
moleman
UKC Forum Member

Im feeding Sport Mix and my dogs are doing good on it but as for Pride ive tried it all and alot of clean up and the dogs dont hold weight like they should,Showtime is a good feed for the money if you can find it where you live.

Old Post 08-21-2014 06:43 AM
moleman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for moleman Click here to Send moleman a Private Message Find more posts by moleman Add moleman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lingarcur
UKC Forum Member

How long have you been feeding sportmix moleman. Ive mainly feed the black bag year round tried the green last summer and my dogs had alot of stool. Used the blue bag last season and they got to where they wouldn't even eat it. Now ive always had good luck with the black bag dogs always eat it up and very firm stools been feeding most of my dogs about 3 cups aday some less and some a little more but out of my 7 dogs ive got 3 that just can't seem to keep weight on it they will go up and down seems like every couple weeks. They still eat it good but there weight is just so up and down. Theyve been wormed good and vet gave them a clean bill of health he just says its where there such a high active dog. some of these dogs have been raised on sportmix and ive never had this issue thanks again guys.

Old Post 08-21-2014 09:34 PM
Lingarcur is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lingarcur Click here to Send Lingarcur a Private Message Click Here to Email Lingarcur Find more posts by Lingarcur Add Lingarcur to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
moleman
UKC Forum Member

Lingarcur, I have been feeding Sport Mix for 10 or 12 years now and ive tried all of it and the green bag will starve a dog to death but the others are pretty good feeds,i have better luck with any brand of feed if i change to another brand in the off season with less fat and protein and then feed my main feed in fall and winter and my dogs are never still and they hold weight good by doing it this way.

Old Post 08-21-2014 11:03 PM
moleman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for moleman Click here to Send moleman a Private Message Find more posts by moleman Add moleman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Luther's Fiest
UKC Forum Member

Have ya tried the red bag of sextons brothers. I believe ot is made n Kentucky. Best feed I have ever used. I tried the sporadic in several different nag colors and my dogs lost weight and gained it back and lost it again just like you are saying. I have been using sextons brothers for several years now and haven't jad a problem. Not much cleanup and if oversees dogs will get way overweight. I jave feist and only feed about a cup a day and they are all at a good weight with a good looking coat to boot.

Hunt em hard, cull em harder
Luther's Feist Kennels on Facebook

Old Post 08-21-2014 11:03 PM
Luther's Fiest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Luther's Fiest Click here to Send Luther's Fiest a Private Message Click Here to Email Luther's Fiest Find more posts by Luther's Fiest Add Luther's Fiest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sqman
UKC Forum Member

I couldn keep weight on my male dog, he is constantly pacing in the kennel. I tried and automatic feeder and he is looking great now.

Mohawks Whistln Dixie (OMC)
Pine Mtn Crazy Ann

Old Post 08-22-2014 12:02 AM
sqman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sqman Click here to Send sqman a Private Message Find more posts by sqman Add sqman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
horsepuller
UKC Forum Member

Dog food

Hey guys. I have tried a bunch of different foods about the best i ever fed was black gold 26/18. The problem is the dealer that used to sell it around me quit doing it. So i got tired of chasing down different feeds so i decided to just try purina dog chow and i think it works just as good
As black gold and its easy to get. You can get it from walmart, meijers, tsc, and just about any feed store.

Old Post 08-22-2014 01:07 AM
horsepuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for horsepuller Click here to Send horsepuller a Private Message Click Here to Email horsepuller Find more posts by horsepuller Add horsepuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tar12
UKC Forum Member

I tried the Sexton Bros. dog feed.Dogs fell a part fast on this feed. Bought 150 lbs of it and the first bag spoiled before it was half way used. The other 2 bags molded and turned rancid. Most worthless feed i have ever tried bar none! Never again....

Old Post 08-22-2014 02:47 AM
Tar12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tar12 Click here to Send Tar12 a Private Message Click Here to Email Tar12 Find more posts by Tar12 Add Tar12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Luther's Fiest
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tar12
I tried the Sexton Bros. dog feed.Dogs fell a part fast on this feed. Bought 150 lbs of it and the first bag spoiled before it was half way used. The other 2 bags molded and turned rancid. Most worthless feed i have ever tried bar none! Never again....

First complaint in have ever heard on that brand food. I jave tried many feeds and it works best for me. Guess everybody has different results with different feeds.

Hunt em hard, cull em harder
Luther's Feist Kennels on Facebook

Old Post 08-22-2014 03:29 AM
Luther's Fiest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Luther's Fiest Click here to Send Luther's Fiest a Private Message Click Here to Email Luther's Fiest Find more posts by Luther's Fiest Add Luther's Fiest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lynnmtncurs
UKC Forum Member

pride

Pride dog food don't work for me the clean up is a lot

Old Post 08-22-2014 12:36 PM
lynnmtncurs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lynnmtncurs Click here to Send lynnmtncurs a Private Message Find more posts by lynnmtncurs Add lynnmtncurs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danny681
UKC Forum Member

fed dog chow for over 50 years ,dogs have always done well on it .Tried others and have always went back.

Old Post 08-22-2014 06:04 PM
danny681 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for danny681 Click here to Send danny681 a Private Message Click Here to Email danny681 Find more posts by danny681 Add danny681 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldman
UKC Forum Member

never had any problems with the sexton bro's dog food.I'VE FED THE RED BAG IN WINTER BLUE ONE IN SUMMER.

Pound Va

Ph: 276-796-5321

i'm drinking from my saucer
cause my cup has overflowed

Old Post 08-22-2014 08:31 PM
oldman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oldman Click here to Send oldman a Private Message Click Here to Email oldman Find more posts by oldman Add oldman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hopm
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog food

quote:
Originally posted by horsepuller
Hey guys. I have tried a bunch of different foods about the best i ever fed was black gold 26/18. The problem is the dealer that used to sell it around me quit doing it. So i got tired of chasing down different feeds so i decided to just try purina dog chow and i think it works just as good
As black gold and its easy to get. You can get it from walmart, meijers, tsc, and just about any feed store.

Tried a bit of them all ...been Purina for the past 3 years. Fed the top end for awhile and dawgs did well. Then fed Chow...noticed no difference in the dawgs. Weight gain may have been more with the Dog Chow. I get it for $22 for a 55lb bag....hard to beat plus rebate checks. I just recently sent in for my Dad and he got back 49 checks for $7 each!!

Old Post 08-22-2014 11:11 PM
hopm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hopm Click here to Send hopm a Private Message Find more posts by hopm Add hopm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tar12
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JWLuther
First complaint in have ever heard on that brand food. I jave tried many feeds and it works best for me. Guess everybody has different results with different feeds.

I bought it upon a recommendation from a trusted friend. He still feeds it and his dogs look good on it.My BMC female got ill on it and the dogs just flat quit eating it. The bags turned greasy.I have fed a lot of different feeds over the years and never had any go bad until this.Something was wrong with it.

Old Post 08-23-2014 06:09 AM
Tar12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tar12 Click here to Send Tar12 a Private Message Click Here to Email Tar12 Find more posts by Tar12 Add Tar12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
muletownjoe
UKC Forum Member

pride puppy feed

I recently bought a 50# bag of pride puppy feed. A 1/4 way thru the bag found mold. had to throw it away. Every time I think about tryin something different I always go back to Purina. Never any problems with Purina.

Old Post 08-23-2014 03:34 PM
muletownjoe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for muletownjoe Click here to Send muletownjoe a Private Message Click Here to Email muletownjoe Find more posts by muletownjoe Add muletownjoe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nccatfisher
UKC Forum Member

Re: pride

quote:
Originally posted by lynnmtncurs
Pride dog food don't work for me the clean up is a lot

https://sites.google.com/site/riverroadkennel/

Old Post 08-23-2014 11:15 PM
nccatfisher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nccatfisher Click here to Send nccatfisher a Private Message Click Here to Email nccatfisher Visit nccatfisher's homepage! Find more posts by nccatfisher Add nccatfisher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nccatfisher
UKC Forum Member

My guess would be if you feed the bottom of the barrel quality of any brand you will have poor performance. Also if you hunt your dogs more you won't have as many turds in the kennel. I feed the orange bag pride and quite honestly have absolutely no issue with it. If I hunt my dogs as regularly as like they may go several days that they don't crap in the kennel because if I hunt them at night they aren't going to crap in the kennel the next day because they emptied out that night. I feed them the middle of the next day because I am usually going to hunt them again that night.

If you are hunting them during the day, well you got it, they aren't in the kennel to crap. The ones that happen to be standing up not being hunted for some reason on the orange bag crap once a day. Now how much clean up is that? Hit it with the water hose and in the sump and down the pipe it goes.

These dogs look like they are healthy enough for me.

Old Post 08-23-2014 11:26 PM
nccatfisher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nccatfisher Click here to Send nccatfisher a Private Message Click Here to Email nccatfisher Visit nccatfisher's homepage! Find more posts by nccatfisher Add nccatfisher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldman
UKC Forum Member

my female feist ,tiny that has pups now has been on pride in the blk. bag. 24/20 she has all kinds of milk for the pups & is as fat , slick & shiny as ever. can't even tell she has had any pups.they are 4 wks. old & fat lil butterballs.
my start using this pride for all my dogs.

Pound Va

Old Post 08-24-2014 04:16 AM
oldman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oldman Click here to Send oldman a Private Message Click Here to Email oldman Find more posts by oldman Add oldman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nccatfisher
UKC Forum Member

I am not saying Pride is any better than any other as long as you use the better quality. I do know that in the not so distant past after Diamond having problems so many times I switched from it to another well known brand. I had a younger dog that was I mean the absolute picture of health start going downhill. I had him checked for worms etc, everything fine. Vet told me it may be something as simple as needing to switch brands of dog food.

I couldn't see that since my older dogs acted fine. All of a sudden I noticed my older dogs were not wanting to eat their food either. I buy my feed enough to last a month and I just happened to be cleaning out the container that I keep my feed in and when I stuck my head in it I noticed a real strong ammonia smell. I threw the container in the truck and off to my feed dealer I went. Low and behold I was the third person that had complained of the same thing in two days and he had complained to his distributer who in turn had notified the factory.

In 6 days he heard back and the factory said yes, we had an issue with some equipment in March and were aware X amount of feed had gotten out. And it was a large amount, was mixed improperly, resulting in this issue. This was in June. Well I hit the ceiling and went to Pride. The dealer where I bought my feed also quit selling that particular feed and it was his biggest seller at the time.

So the bottom line is no matter what you feed you better keep your eyes open. I came dang close to loosing a real nice young dog because I wasn't paying attention.

Old Post 08-24-2014 04:42 AM
baewright
UKC Forum Member

I've been feeding Pride 24-20 for several years. It has done us well. We hunt very, very hard, day and night, competition and pleasure all over the country. The dogs look slick and fit and go hard every time I cut em'. I've fed about every feed out there over the years including several of the VERY expensive ones. I'll likely not switch unless Pride changes something.
Dean Wright

Old Post 08-24-2014 01:44 PM
baewright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for baewright Click here to Send baewright a Private Message Find more posts by baewright Add baewright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
moonshine man
UKC Forum Member

After reading all these post i see two more reasons to never feed Pride dog food.

Old Post 08-26-2014 07:52 AM
moonshine man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for moonshine man Click here to Send moonshine man a Private Message Find more posts by moonshine man Add moonshine man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TreeLuke
UKC Forum Member

Much difference as night and day between feeds from same company. Feed the cheapest crap you can find and expect to clean up more crap. Pro Series Pride is pretty good feed. Lower level Pride is some of the worst feed I've ever fed.

Old Post 08-27-2014 06:15 PM
TreeLuke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TreeLuke Click here to Send TreeLuke a Private Message Click Here to Email TreeLuke Visit TreeLuke's homepage! Find more posts by TreeLuke Add TreeLuke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nccatfisher
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by moonshine man
After reading all these post i see two more reasons to never feed Pride dog food.
If you are reading Pride was the brand I had trouble with that almost killed the dog it wasn't.

Old Post 08-28-2014 12:18 AM
oldman
UKC Forum Member

reckon he means because of who is feeding it ??????????????

Pound Va

Old Post 08-28-2014 01:30 AM
moonshine man
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by nccatfisher
If you are reading Pride was the brand I had trouble with that almost killed the dog it wasn't.

I no you was not talking about Pride.

Old Post 08-28-2014 08:06 AM
moonshine man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for moonshine man Click here to Send moonshine man a Private Message Find more posts by moonshine man Add moonshine man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote