UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > How do u get a dog to bark at the tree?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cripple Creek 1
UKC Forum Member

How do u get a dog to bark at the tree?

Hunts great, timbers great, stays put n tree....no bark....2 yrs old...Any and all thought are appreciated. Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-02-2013 11:03 PM
Cripple Creek 1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cripple Creek 1 Click here to Send Cripple Creek 1 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cripple Creek 1 Find more posts by Cripple Creek 1 Add Cripple Creek 1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BulletC
UKC Forum Member

Re: How do u get a dog to bark at the tree?

quote:
Originally posted by Cripple Creek 1
Hunts great, timbers great, stays put n tree....no bark....2 yrs old...Any and all thought are appreciated. Thanks

Start over , know that ain't what you want to hear . You can see the squirrels yourself if you looking for them , nose an bark is all you need from him and if he don't like to bark at 2 he probably ain't ever .
Sounds like a prick eared Feist or a Jack Russell , just a guess .

Bullet

Last edited by BulletC on 12-03-2013 at 01:29 AM

Old Post 12-03-2013 12:25 AM
BulletC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BulletC Click here to Send BulletC a Private Message Find more posts by BulletC Add BulletC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cripple Creek 1
UKC Forum Member

I don't care what I hear as long as it is an unbias opinion. This dog can wind squirrels easy, trails with no bark and trees, hunts great and has a little cur in him too...so what I need to hear from experienced squirrel dog men is how to get it out of him or move on. The dog only lacks barking....if he barked he would be a great one.....no bark....no good

Last edited by Cripple Creek 1 on 12-03-2013 at 01:09 AM

Old Post 12-03-2013 01:01 AM
Cripple Creek 1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cripple Creek 1 Click here to Send Cripple Creek 1 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cripple Creek 1 Find more posts by Cripple Creek 1 Add Cripple Creek 1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rushcreek
Banned

Might try tying him back and knocking them out without letting him touch them.

Joe LeVan

Old Post 12-03-2013 01:13 AM
rushcreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rushcreek Click here to Send rushcreek a Private Message Click Here to Email rushcreek Find more posts by rushcreek Add rushcreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BulletC
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I don't care what I hear as long as it is an unbias opinion. This dog can wind squirrels easy, trails with no bark and trees, hunts great and has a little cur in him too...so what I need to hear from experienced squirrel dog men is how to get it out of him or move on. The dog only lacks barking....if he barked he would be a great one.....no bark....no good

Sir that was mho or 2 cents , more than likely he will not start barking no mater how bad you want him too . Good luck with him .

Bullet

Old Post 12-03-2013 01:24 AM
BulletC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BulletC Click here to Send BulletC a Private Message Find more posts by BulletC Add BulletC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cripple Creek 1
UKC Forum Member

Thanks guys....any other thoughts

Old Post 12-03-2013 01:27 AM
TREE 'EM
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like its time to move on. I have seen this problem twice before and it did not work out either time.

Old Post 12-03-2013 01:28 AM
TREE 'EM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TREE 'EM Click here to Send TREE 'EM a Private Message Click Here to Email TREE 'EM Visit TREE 'EM's homepage! Find more posts by TREE 'EM Add TREE 'EM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tn russ
UKC Forum Member

Youll see this trait in allot of todays cur dogs , move on

Old Post 12-03-2013 01:43 AM
tn russ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tn russ Click here to Send tn russ a Private Message Click Here to Email tn russ Find more posts by tn russ Add tn russ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cripple Creek 1
UKC Forum Member

He has a little cur thru riverun jd breeding.....but the rest is mt feist?..don't know if that matters but that's what he is

Old Post 12-03-2013 01:49 AM
fycedogs
Banned

Tie him back like Joe Levan said, tease the dog at the tree, rub the sq or your hat on the tree, anything to get him excited. Try different things. I got one to trip the trigger by hanging a dead sq I found about 8 ft up a sapling on a path close to the truck. The pup just looked at it, and when on. When I was loading the pup in the box going home she broke away and ran back to the sq and started treeing. Just luck but it worked for her. I believe you can put (train) some tree in a dog, unlike nose. Most of them have so much tree bred in them anyway once they start treeing you have to be carefull you don't ruin them. I would give the dog until the end of this gun season anyway.

Old Post 12-03-2013 02:06 AM
fycedogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fycedogs Click here to Send fycedogs a Private Message Click Here to Email fycedogs Visit fycedogs's homepage! Find more posts by fycedogs Add fycedogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
plottnation
UKC Forum Member

Silent tree dog could come in handy if you have a garmin..

Old Post 12-03-2013 02:54 AM
plottnation is offline Click Here to See the Profile for plottnation Click here to Send plottnation a Private Message Find more posts by plottnation Add plottnation to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cripple Creek 1
UKC Forum Member

I have a garmin...who could a silent tree dog be handy?

Old Post 12-03-2013 03:32 AM
skeets
UKC Forum Member

if it was me i believe i would be looking for something else.it bred in a dog to bark treed.

Old Post 12-03-2013 04:11 AM
skeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeets Click here to Send skeets a Private Message Click Here to Email skeets Find more posts by skeets Add skeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Luther's Fiest
UKC Forum Member

I would keep fooling with him. Tie him back teasw him and do whay ya van to het him excited. I have a dog that did everything right but bark. It took a while but she came around.
Some of the Taylor bred feist were wanted to quit barking or to throttle back as he approached the tree.

Maybe you could take anorher dog along and let it have the squirrel to make your dog jealous.

Hunt em hard, cull em harder
Luther's Feist Kennels on Facebook

Old Post 12-03-2013 08:57 AM
Luther's Fiest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Luther's Fiest Click here to Send Luther's Fiest a Private Message Click Here to Email Luther's Fiest Find more posts by Luther's Fiest Add Luther's Fiest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
plottnation
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I had a dog when I was a kid he would only whine at the tree didn't hunt far out could kill squirrels with him.....Sometimes squirrel will get wise under dog pressure if they hear one treed they start heading home..

Old Post 12-03-2013 03:06 PM
plottnation is offline Click Here to See the Profile for plottnation Click here to Send plottnation a Private Message Find more posts by plottnation Add plottnation to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GrizzTT
UKC Forum Member

More Info ??

Think you have some good advice here but not sure how. Think we would need to know a lot more about you the dog how many times its been hunted are you hunting alone or with other dogs how long you had the dog. Has it seen a squirl around the house will it bark in the kennel .... really need more info to even come close to helping you with this one.

Old Post 12-03-2013 10:31 PM
GrizzTT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GrizzTT Click here to Send GrizzTT a Private Message Click Here to Email GrizzTT Find more posts by GrizzTT Add GrizzTT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C.D.
UKC Forum Member

I don't think you can really say a dog trees if he don't bark. I had a registered cur that did just as you are saying. Key word is had. I tried every trick in the book and she never did bark treed. I considered it a waste of a year that could have been spent on a more promising dog. I will not fool with anything else that doesn't tree naturally.

Old Post 12-04-2013 12:03 AM
C.D. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for C.D. Click here to Send C.D. a Private Message Click Here to Email C.D. Find more posts by C.D. Add C.D. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tn russ
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by C.D.
I don't think you can really say a dog trees if he don't bark. I had a registered cur that did just as you are saying. Key word is had. I tried every trick in the book and she never did bark treed. I considered it a waste of a year that could have been spent on a more promising dog. I will not fool with anything else that doesn't tree naturally.

Exactly. You cant get that year back.

Old Post 12-04-2013 01:22 AM
tn russ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tn russ Click here to Send tn russ a Private Message Click Here to Email tn russ Find more posts by tn russ Add tn russ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cripple Creek 1
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Rush creek, Fycedogs, jw Luther....I took you alls advice and with a buddy's advice and it worked. Treed barked plenty, on 2 squirrels and we ended on a high note...praise him a lot and the main praise was fur in his mouth when he done it right.....glad I didn't move on....thanks again for your advice....u 3 are good dog men!?

Last edited by Cripple Creek 1 on 12-04-2013 at 01:33 AM

Old Post 12-04-2013 01:29 AM
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Easier to hunt on posted land if you have a silent tree dog.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 12-04-2013 06:06 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
plottnation
UKC Forum Member

My dogs cant read so posted land sometimes is a problem..Around here purple paint means no retrieve with out permission.

Old Post 12-04-2013 07:10 PM
howl
New UKC Forum Member

Got one like that. She gets revved up sometimes and barks, usually tears it up by the house. Generally silent if taken off somewhere. Has made a good yard dog, but only game she gets is what she barks at enough to disturb my rest at night.

I wouldn't't be surprised if you could take more game with a totally silent dog, but durned if I'll waste gas on one. If it doesn't naturally bark enough to find easily it's not a tree dog.

Old Post 12-08-2013 05:06 PM
howl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for howl Click here to Send howl a Private Message Click Here to Email howl Find more posts by howl Add howl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote