UKC Forums UKC Front Page :: Hunting Programs :: Dog Events :: Registration :: UKC Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Puppy Strangles ???
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
562clayton
UKC Forum Member

Puppy Strangles ???

Has anyone ever heard of puppy strangles? I got a pup that is recovering from it. Very nasty, painful looking crap. My question is, does anyone know of any long term effects? Ive been told I should have her spayed.

573-795-3880

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-23-2013 03:52 AM
562clayton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 562clayton Click here to Send 562clayton a Private Message Find more posts by 562clayton Add 562clayton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dwils
UKC Forum Member

Don't spay her . That's hogwash . I've seen it before ; painful for a pup ; usually vet gives prednisone I've been told

PKC CH GRNITECH "PR" SKUNA RIVER FRED BEAR(aka Hank)
'PR' Skuna River Faith (Bear X Cranking Good Time)

"LUCK FAVORS THE BOLD"

Old Post 08-23-2013 07:14 AM
Dwils is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dwils Click here to Send Dwils a Private Message Click Here to Email Dwils Find more posts by Dwils Add Dwils to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redbone Chic
UKC Forum Member

I have a male that had it as a pup, he recovered just fine and you can't even tell he ever had it. Never has even gotten sick or anything.

WCH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Auringer's Tree Slammin Brodie
-Qualified for 2013 world hunt

WCH CH 'PR' Tree Slammin MN Tuff

Old Post 08-23-2013 08:45 PM
Redbone Chic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redbone Chic Click here to Send Redbone Chic a Private Message Find more posts by Redbone Chic Add Redbone Chic to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
562clayton
UKC Forum Member

I thought the same thing. She was real sick for a couple weeks, I've been giving predizone and she is doing great. She never lost energy or her appetite. Would it be safe to go ahead and sell her when she is 100% over this?

573-795-3880

Old Post 08-23-2013 09:10 PM
562clayton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 562clayton Click here to Send 562clayton a Private Message Find more posts by 562clayton Add 562clayton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bert52
UKC Forum Member

have a jack russell house dog....had this and took long time for him to get over it w/medication....now 1yr old this coming sept 1 and just now getting over it!

Old Post 08-24-2013 01:45 AM
bert52 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bert52 Click here to Send bert52 a Private Message Click Here to Email bert52 Find more posts by bert52 Add bert52 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
STROKIN
UKC Forum Member

I had a male pup that got it. I never sold the pup even after he got over it. I do think that it affects them in some way. They run a fever and as we all know that will affect them in some way. This dog seemed like he was brain dead. Don't know if it was on the account of straggles or not. Just know he acted mentally challenged.

Old Post 08-24-2013 03:36 AM
STROKIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for STROKIN Click here to Send STROKIN a Private Message Click Here to Email STROKIN Find more posts by STROKIN Add STROKIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
562clayton
UKC Forum Member

Pup was on her way to coming out of this I thought. In the last week we've seen huge improvement, until this today. Pup couldn't get up on her own, high fever. Had to put her down.

573-795-3880

Old Post 08-27-2013 03:49 AM
bobby593
UKC Forum Member

Sorry to here that

Old Post 08-27-2013 03:55 AM
bobby593 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bobby593 Click here to Send bobby593 a Private Message Click Here to Email bobby593 Find more posts by bobby593 Add bobby593 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Danny Glista
UKC Forum Member

Sorry to see this

Prednizone is just part of it! Given twice a day. The vet should have also provided a antibiotic to keep the infection under control from all the open sores that start to develop around the upper and lower muzzle area. Also given twice a day.If this was truly puppy strangles, the pup will always have a stye in either both or at least one of it's eyes. Vet should have also told you to put some type of anti bacterial cream on sores 2 or 3 times a day to keep them soft and aid in keep them from cracking open and getting worse. If vet didn't inform you of all of the above, I would find a new vet !

Gauge x Trick ( Co-owned with Jeremy Ritter )

Ph. 330-584-2193

Last edited by Danny Glista on 08-27-2013 at 11:25 AM

Old Post 08-27-2013 11:20 AM
Danny Glista is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Danny Glista Click here to Send Danny Glista a Private Message Click Here to Email Danny Glista Find more posts by Danny Glista Add Danny Glista to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joshua Hicks
UKC Forum Member

strangles

I have a 4yr old male that had it. Took 3 rounds of antibiotics and prednizone. Nothing wrong with him now. It didn't affect him in anyway

Old Post 08-27-2013 07:18 PM
Joshua Hicks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joshua Hicks Click here to Send Joshua Hicks a Private Message Find more posts by Joshua Hicks Add Joshua Hicks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan J
UKC Forum Member

I have seen I don't if anyones for sure how they get it but it is bad. Long term affect if this helps he never got as big as the rest of the litter and he never turned out either.

Old Post 08-27-2013 07:21 PM
Ryan J is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan J Click here to Send Ryan J a Private Message Click Here to Email Ryan J Find more posts by Ryan J Add Ryan J to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clifton
UKC Forum Member

I had a female come down with a bad case of Strangles. She healed up with some scaring of course. She has made a pretty decent hound.

(PCH Wipeout Zeb Again x Pch Stylish Snag)

Old Post 08-28-2013 04:13 AM
Clifton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clifton Click here to Send Clifton a Private Message Click Here to Email Clifton Find more posts by Clifton Add Clifton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote