UKC Forums UKC Front Page :: Hunting Programs :: Dog Events :: Registration :: UKC Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Beagles > Rabbit Dogs
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jamey Gorman
UKC Forum Member

Like I said, everyone has there own opinion on the matter. I'll tell you a little story, that you may or not believe. Me and my dad one summer took out two of the fastest dogs, I have ever seen, That could hold a track or otherwise. The place we were at you could see for miles with big hills. You could see the dogs the whole time. I seen two dogs run like grey hounds for 2 solid hours, without even one break down or miss in the track. They covered some serious ground. Most people wouldn't even believe a rabbit could run like that. The rabbit finally jump in a lake and swam away. It was the one of the greatest experiences of my life. So your not going to convince me that all fast dogs are rough, because these two could not have run this track any more perfect at full speed. I will however concede that most fast dogs you will see are rough (not all) The key to the question is, fast and hold the track accurately. And yes, "My Dad is Bigger Than Your Dad, So take your ball and your dog and go home" LMAO

P.S Speed is the easiest thing to breed, but it ain't everything.

2009 Ohio State Hunt Grand Cast winner at age 9. 2007 NHBA Days Grand Champion Winner and Top Dog of the Hunt Winner, the only dog out of 80 to circle a rabbit that day. 2003 Ohio State UKC and NKC Best in show Winner, Nationals and Eliminator Best Senior Male. National Cast Winner 8 years in a row.
HBCH GRCH Cherry Hill Blue Ribbon Best in Show Winner of the 1st McVay
2002 Memorial Hunt, Champion of Champions Eliminator Hunt. National Cast winner 3 years in a row.
GRHBCH Gorman's Big Brassy
HBCH CH Gorman's Creek Jewel
CH Gorman's Princess Leia

"The more you think you know, the less you really know".

Last edited by Jamey Gorman on 08-22-2012 at 08:20 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-22-2012 08:01 PM
Jamey Gorman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jamey Gorman Click here to Send Jamey Gorman a Private Message Click Here to Email Jamey Gorman Find more posts by Jamey Gorman Add Jamey Gorman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Seth Shipman
UKC Forum Member

I agree with you Jamey speed is the easiest thing to breed, but it is not everything.

Home of multiple UKC Champions

Standing At Stud: GRPCH GRHBCH GRCH Cedar Grove's Loko Go Cowboy

Standing At Stud: HBCH CH GRPCH Cedar Grove's Briarpatch Nugget

Standing At Stud: HBCH GRPCH Cedar Grove Talkabout Blackjack

Old Post 08-22-2012 08:39 PM
Seth Shipman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Seth Shipman Click here to Send Seth Shipman a Private Message Click Here to Email Seth Shipman Visit Seth Shipman's homepage! Find more posts by Seth Shipman Add Seth Shipman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wvbill
UKC Forum Member

Mitch,

Don't believe we are far off. I would sacrifice a little speed for control but not much. You like that 8 range dog and I like the 7. :-). But I wanna a dog that sticks a little closer and is a little cleaner running. That's just what we like.

You are right... It makes the world go round that's for sure.

If we have a dog that can out run everything in this world including a cheetah and runs every ounce of track then there is a perfect dog in my eyes. We will never see the perfect hound. So we need to run what makes us happy, life is too dang short.

When I critique any of my hounds, I'm tough on them, I am looking for perfection. Will I ever see it... Highly doubt it.

I can say though, as beaglers if we are not careful and get caught up in all this speed stuff we are gonna loose the most important things and that is brains and hunt!!!!

Check us out on the web:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeuq9zn/

Old Post 08-22-2012 08:56 PM
wvbill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wvbill Click here to Send wvbill a Private Message Visit wvbill's homepage! Find more posts by wvbill Add wvbill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick weatherwax
UKC Forum Member

Well said bill

Old Post 08-22-2012 09:54 PM
rick weatherwax is online now Click Here to See the Profile for rick weatherwax Click here to Send rick weatherwax a Private Message Click Here to Email rick weatherwax Find more posts by rick weatherwax Add rick weatherwax to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jackbob42
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by wvbill

When I critique any of my hounds, I'm tough on them, I am looking for perfection. Will I ever see it... Highly doubt it.

I agree.
And , I believe , if I ever quit looking for that perfect dog , the quality of my hounds will start to fall.....

BackWoods River Walkers/Beagles
Just all 'round , meat gettin' hounds.

Old Post 08-22-2012 11:28 PM
jackbob42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jackbob42 Click here to Send jackbob42 a Private Message Find more posts by jackbob42 Add jackbob42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yettez_beagles
UKC Forum Member

Great question/topic Seth! I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts.

PCH Yette's Bunny Bustin Navajo Jo(1st place in illinois, 1st place @ Michigan state hunt and 1st @ 2012 Purina open)
GRPCH Clemens Bunny Bustin Bee(1st in Missouri, 2nd in Illinois, 5th @ Missouri State hunt and 2nd @ Missouri State hunt, 3rd in Indiana)
Yette's Impressive Bow's Candy
PCH Yette's Bunny Bustin Gravy(3rd in Illinois,4th @ Illinois state hunt, 2nd in Illinois, 1st in Missouri)(1 win towards grand)
Yette's Bunny Bustin Honey Bee
GRPCH Yette's Bunny Bustin Thunder (7th @ 2012 PP nationals, 3rd in Indiana, 1st @ 2013 Purina Open,2nd @ Indiana State hunt, 5th in Missouri,2nd in Illinois,1st in Illinois)(3rd @ 2013 PP World Hunt)

Old Post 08-23-2012 12:26 AM
yettez_beagles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yettez_beagles Click here to Send yettez_beagles a Private Message Click Here to Email yettez_beagles Find more posts by yettez_beagles Add yettez_beagles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie_Baker
UKC Forum Member

Mike Ridenhour's Dry Fork Red Man died by the age of 3 but he was a FREAK of nature... Red was wicked fast with great line line controll. Everybody who seen him run when he was healthy was impressed.

I am going to have to say it. Dave Roberrt's DR'S Power Stroke is a fast son of a gun and he has line controll.Oh... He jumps more than his share of rabbits as well. I am not sure of the issues of Dave or this dog but it Stroke was as tough as it gets.

HBCH Bakers Rollin Red Sox ( HBCH in 3-hunts)
HBCH Bakers Rollin Red Lace
RIP HBCH Gus' Loko Lil Red - 2010 Kansas State Champion winner
CH HBCH Loko Red Pepper
RIP HBCH Tipton's Quick Banker
GRCH GRHBCH Red Rock's 30-06 Ackley Improved - 2010 NHBA Best of show 2011 McVay Memorial Total Dog - 2011 NHBA SHOW POINTS WINNER 2012 Eliminator 5th place 2012 Eliminator overall show winner
( NGCH GRCH GRHBCH 'PR' Topnotch PoP A ToP - 2012 Missouri State youth Championship show WINNER Top 5 place at eliminator - Missouri state Show Champion - Missouri state run-off winner) All in 2011 (total dog!) 2013 Missouri Black Gold Run off Winner - 2013 National Show Winner
HBCH Red Rock's Momma Tried Lil Hag (2011MO State youth hunt winner Futurity Gold $1000 winner 2012 Eliminator hunt champion and HBCH in 3 hunts B4 1yr old)
GRCH HBCH Sundown Levi - 2010 Missouri State Show Champion
GRHBCH Halfway Molly's Mr. T - 2010 Eliminator hunt champion

Old Post 08-23-2012 03:16 AM
Donnie_Baker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie_Baker Click here to Send Donnie_Baker a Private Message Click Here to Email Donnie_Baker Find more posts by Donnie_Baker Add Donnie_Baker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mitch gould
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jackbob42
I agree.
And , I believe , if I ever quit looking for that perfect dog , the quality of my hounds will start to fall.....

thats rite!

click on link to visit our website
Heat- Em- Up Kennels

Old Post 08-23-2012 12:38 PM
mitch gould is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mitch gould Click here to Send mitch gould a Private Message Click Here to Email mitch gould Visit mitch gould's homepage! Find more posts by mitch gould Add mitch gould to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mitch gould
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by wvbill
Mitch,

Don't believe we are far off. I would sacrifice a little speed for control but not much. You like that 8 range dog and I like the 7. :-). But I wanna a dog that sticks a little closer and is a little cleaner running. That's just what we like.

You are right... It makes the world go round that's for sure.

If we have a dog that can out run everything in this world including a cheetah and runs every ounce of track then there is a perfect dog in my eyes. We will never see the perfect hound. So we need to run what makes us happy, life is too dang short.

I can say though, as beaglers if we are not careful and get caught up in all this speed stuff we are gonna loose the most important things and that is brains and hunt!!!!

that sounds about rite bill, Another thing also is if the day comes when we are producing hounds that cant win i know somewhere we have screwed up, just another way to look at it. I know guys hunt a dog to death and dog never wins ....kinda a hint ya know

Heat- Em- Up Kennels

Old Post 08-23-2012 12:40 PM
mitch gould is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mitch gould Click here to Send mitch gould a Private Message Click Here to Email mitch gould Visit mitch gould's homepage! Find more posts by mitch gould Add mitch gould to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jamey Gorman
UKC Forum Member

I love threads like this, It keep this site from becoming boring. I enjoyed reading every post. All the best

2009 Ohio State Hunt Grand Cast winner at age 9. 2007 NHBA Days Grand Champion Winner and Top Dog of the Hunt Winner, the only dog out of 80 to circle a rabbit that day. 2003 Ohio State UKC and NKC Best in show Winner, Nationals and Eliminator Best Senior Male. National Cast Winner 8 years in a row.
2002 Memorial Hunt, Champion of Champions Eliminator Hunt. National Cast winner 3 years in a row.

Old Post 08-23-2012 04:18 PM
Jamey Gorman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jamey Gorman Click here to Send Jamey Gorman a Private Message Click Here to Email Jamey Gorman Find more posts by Jamey Gorman Add Jamey Gorman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mitch gould
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jamey Gorman
Like I said, everyone has there own opinion on the matter. I'll tell you a little story, that you may or not believe. Me and my dad one summer took out two of the fastest dogs, I have ever seen, That could hold a track or otherwise. The place we were at you could see for miles with big hills. You could see the dogs the whole time. I seen two dogs run like grey hounds for 2 solid hours, without even one break down or miss in the track. They covered some serious ground. Most people wouldn't even believe a rabbit could run like that. The rabbit finally jump in a lake and swam away. It was the one of the greatest experiences of my life. So your not going to convince me that all fast dogs are rough, because these two could not have run this track any more perfect at full speed. I will however concede that most fast dogs you will see are rough (not all) The key to the question is, fast and hold the track accurately. And yes, "My Dad is Bigger Than Your Dad, So take your ball and your dog and go home" LMAO

P.S Speed is the easiest thing to breed, but it ain't everything.

jamie I agree to a point, but in no way did them dogs if they were as fast as u say had the equivelant control day in and day out as a style of dog like tess or izzy or some of terry suddiths stuff or those style of dogs, its just NOT happening, now can fast dog have good control , sure but 10 speed is not gona hav 10 control, sure thats wat we want and breed for. Put 4 10 speeds down and see if they snap back to point of loss ,not over shoot, race etc... not happening and im not gona sit here and act like there is these perfect dogs out there cause there aint.

Heat- Em- Up Kennels

Old Post 08-23-2012 04:47 PM
Jamey Gorman
UKC Forum Member

There are some disadvantages to having fast dogs, even if they are super glued to the track. I myself, I am a true rabbit hunter. That is why I have rabbit dogs. Competition was always 2ND to me and rarely went to hunts when season was in. The number one disadvantage of having a fast dogs is, They hole rabbits a lot faster. My experience has been, you will shoot more rabbits off a med speed dog, Than you will off a fast dog. Nothing to with tracking, just more pressure. I don't mind a med speed dog what so ever, but I can't stand a dog who blows holes in the ground barking every 4 steps. Some fast dogs are flashy to the untrained eye, But perfect nah, nothings perfect, but like myself, It is as good as it gets, Every Time I look in the mirror LMAO ..."Oh Lord It's hard to be humble, when your perfect in every way" LOL.. Just messing with ya...lol

Old Post 08-23-2012 09:41 PM