UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Purina PRO PLAN PERFORMANCE vs Diamond Naturals EA....
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
VA BLACKDAWG
UKC Forum Member

Purina PRO PLAN PERFORMANCE vs Diamond Naturals EA....

Input.........?

HOME OF: MOORE'S THUNDER MTN. LOCKDOWN LEVI (12/04-02/16)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-18-2011 10:46 PM
VA BLACKDAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VA BLACKDAWG Click here to Send VA BLACKDAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email VA BLACKDAWG Find more posts by VA BLACKDAWG Add VA BLACKDAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
intellectualist
Banned

Try a bag of each for a few months each and see which you like best. Whichever bag you try first, if it suits your needs, then you will be good to go!
I prefer Purina lamb and rice but I can't find the large bags anywhere. The 18lb bag is all I can find and it is $20 at Wal Mart. I am not paying that for 18lbs of feed.
I switched to Diamond EA and one dog did fine on it. The other would not eat it hardly at all. Instead of letting him continue to loose weight, I switched to Diamond naturals lamb and rice and both dogs do fine on it. $28 for a 40lb bag sure beats the Purina price!
This dog food stuff is almost like a Ford vs. Chevy debate. You are better off to see which food your dogs respond to the best so you can decide from first hand knowledge. About the only thing most will not disagree about is that if corn is one one of the first three ingredients, or in there at all, that is not a high quality feed!
The Purina lamb and rice had corn at about the 3rd or 4th ingredient but my dogs done very well on it. Your mileage may vary!

Last edited by intellectualist on 07-19-2011 at 01:30 AM

Old Post 07-18-2011 11:18 PM
intellectualist is offline Click Here to See the Profile for intellectualist Click here to Send intellectualist a Private Message Click Here to Email intellectualist Find more posts by intellectualist Add intellectualist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Virgil
UKC Forum Member

I have never fed the EA but I can't imagine it can be any better than the Pro Plan Performance. I have fed many a bag of it and it will muscle a dog up and keep it going night after night like no other feed I have fed. It's the kind of feed you can hunt a dog all night, every night on and they will still stay muscled up and going strong.

Price wise the EA is a little cheaper and a lot of people like it alot so it is probably a good feed as well.

Old Post 07-19-2011 12:45 AM
Virgil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Virgil Click here to Send Virgil a Private Message Click Here to Email Virgil Find more posts by Virgil Add Virgil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VA BLACKDAWG
UKC Forum Member

intellectualist, I agree w/ the Ford vs. Chevy and Dog Feed. I've always said (Feed the best you can and thats all you can do) But that was when you actually got what you paid for. I think we all should all start looking at what FEEDS benefit our dogs OVERALL HEALTH FIRST and PERFORMANCE SECOND. Purina has been doing that for a VERY LONG TIME.

Old Post 07-19-2011 02:16 AM
VA BLACKDAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VA BLACKDAWG Click here to Send VA BLACKDAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email VA BLACKDAWG Find more posts by VA BLACKDAWG Add VA BLACKDAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hunting24/7
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by intellectualist
Try a bag of each for a few months each and see which you like best. Whichever bag you try first, if it suits your needs, then you will be good to go!
I prefer Purina lamb and rice but I can't find the large bags anywhere. The 18lb bag is all I can find and it is $20 at Wal Mart. I am not paying that for 18lbs of feed.
I switched to Diamond EA and one dog did fine on it. The other would not eat it hardly at all. Instead of letting him continue to loose weight, I switched to Diamond naturals lamb and rice and both dogs do fine on it. $28 for a 40lb bag sure beats the Purina price!
This dog food stuff is almost like a Ford vs. Chevy debate. You are better off to see which food your dogs respond to the best so you can decide from first hand knowledge. About the only thing most will not disagree about is that if corn is one one of the first three ingredients, or in there at all, that is not a high quality feed!
The Purina lamb and rice had corn at about the 3rd or 4th ingredient but my dogs done very well on it. Your mileage may vary!

lol ford vs chevy debate neither wins dodge pulls em both.i luvt he diamond feed its good quality feed for a decent price

Wild Style Walkers
Home of:
'PR' Hands Wild Style Tuff

Old Post 07-19-2011 02:23 AM
Hunting24/7 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hunting24/7 Click here to Send Hunting24/7 a Private Message Find more posts by Hunting24/7 Add Hunting24/7 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
intellectualist
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by VA BLACKDAWG
intellectualist, I agree w/ the Ford vs. Chevy and Dog Feed. I've always said (Feed the best you can and thats all you can do) But that was when you actually got what you paid for. I think we all should all start looking at what FEEDS benefit our dogs OVERALL HEALTH FIRST and PERFORMANCE SECOND. Purina has been doing that for a VERY LONG TIME.

That is the thing, we do not always get what we pay for anymore. Seems like there is getting to be more and more tampering with the ingredients to save the manufacturer on cost and it shows up at the consumer end. Dogs not eating the feed as well, inconsistent stools, non typical weight variances, etc. etc.
That tends to send us in a panick to find something different that works well for our dogs.
I also believe you are correct about the overall health. If that is first priority, the performance would have to surely follow.
If a mans dog is acting good, not tiring out too early, looking good, and not creating five pounds of waste every day, for the most part I think one has found a desirable feed for their dog.
But, that feed may not work so well for mine!
That is my non technical take on it but I will go on to say that most will not find a desirable feed by spending $4 on a 15lb bag either. Just is not going to happen. I have seen dogs on this type of diet and they looked like "death eating a boloney sandwich".

Last edited by intellectualist on 07-19-2011 at 03:01 AM

Old Post 07-19-2011 02:58 AM
intellectualist is offline Click Here to See the Profile for intellectualist Click here to Send intellectualist a Private Message Click Here to Email intellectualist Find more posts by intellectualist Add intellectualist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CSnowgren
UKC Forum Member

I fed PP for a good many years and have no complaints. I feed EA now and have no complaints. I supplement both anyway, not enough protein and fat in either one for the hard months.

Old Post 07-19-2011 03:13 AM
CSnowgren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CSnowgren Click here to Send CSnowgren a Private Message Find more posts by CSnowgren Add CSnowgren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Donaldson
UKC Forum Member

dogfoodadvisor.com

Search on each and get a ranking plus a bunch of useful info on each.

Mike Donaldson
donaldsonmb@bellsouth.net

Old Post 07-19-2011 03:45 AM
Mike Donaldson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Donaldson Click here to Send Mike Donaldson a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Donaldson Find more posts by Mike Donaldson Add Mike Donaldson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redwood Hounds
UKC Forum Member

I am a dog food fanatic.... I have tried just about every type of feed available.... I like Purina foods, and I've fed the PP Performance for a long while. I will say this much. NEVER have I ever fed a food which makes dogs eat thier own $h!t so bad. I have dogs that have NEVER done that before or after, but would turn right around and eat it as soon as it came out with the Pro Plan.... I also had a litter of pups I put on it at 5 weeks old. They **** near starved, they had straight water diarrhea for 3 weeks.... I switched them over to Extreme Athlete, and within the week, they were crapping crayons.

I really like the Extreme Athlete, only problem is it just jumped in price to $35.55/40#.... I'd actually feed Purina One over the Pro Plan if I had to again.

REDWOOD'S TREEING WALKER COONHOUNDS
& LOUISIANA CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOGS
http://www.RedwoodCoonhounds.net/

NITECH CGRCH FCH GRCH 'PR' Redwood's All Night Aspen
(2014 #1 UKC Top Ten All-Breed Treeing Walker)
NITECH CCH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH 'PR' Redwood's Wild Gamble

Old Post 07-19-2011 04:46 AM
Redwood Hounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redwood Hounds Click here to Send Redwood Hounds a Private Message Click Here to Email Redwood Hounds Visit Redwood Hounds's homepage! Find more posts by Redwood Hounds Add Redwood Hounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark A. Hauck
UKC Forum Member

Purina supports our sport, don't know when I've seen Diamond at a major event as a sponsor for a major UKC event ??

Kind of like buying American if you ask me support the ones who support your sport !!

GR NIte CH GR CH'PR' Dalton & Haucks BluRidge Lynn

GR Nite CH GR CH'PR' Southland's So Blue Queen

GR NIte Ch Rogers Blue Molly

Nite CH GR CH'PR' Daltons BluRidge Pat (Full liitermate brother to Smokey II)

Nite CH GR CH GR W CH'PR' Hauck's Carlolina Star

Nite CH GR CH'PR' Southland's Blue Queen II (Daughter of Queen)

GR CH'PR' Southland's Blue Nancy Ann

GR CH'PR' Southland's Blue Ebony (Daughter of Ann)

Nite CH'PR' Southland's Blue River Joe (4 wins to Grand & 15 cast wins !!)

Gr Nite CH CH'PR' Blue River Little Sue (Daughter of Lynn)

Old Post 07-19-2011 02:15 PM
Mark A. Hauck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. Hauck Click here to Send Mark A. Hauck a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark A. Hauck Find more posts by Mark A. Hauck Add Mark A. Hauck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blackwater Pete
UKC Forum Member

Why support them when they are trying to screw us over all the time? less feed per bag higher cost junk ingredients higher cost and so on always changing something cost goes up and quality goes down. I have had enough these companies no matter what ones need to realize people are sick of it so if switching to a different feed or whatever to to something more affordable and healthier for my dog I am there. Weather they sponser something or not.

Proud member of PKC
Jason Denzer

Old Post 07-19-2011 02:28 PM
Blackwater Pete is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blackwater Pete Click here to Send Blackwater Pete a Private Message Click Here to Email Blackwater Pete Find more posts by Blackwater Pete Add Blackwater Pete to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Melanie H.
UKC Forum Member

I used to be a HUGE Purina supporter...

But like Redwood said, I have NEVER had dogs eat stool until I fed Pro Plan.. I do like how they looked on it, but figured I needed to change something..

Right now while we have no hunting or pursue season, I moved the dogs to Diamond Beef and Rice.. $22.95 (sale price) for a $40lb bag.. My dogs are so far doing great on it/look good and have quit the stool eating.. We are just exercising, but so far so good..

Once pursue season hits, I'll start mixing the EA in with the Beef & Rice and by cat season they will be on EA..

Even with the Purina coupons, I can't hardly buy Purina One for the cost of Diamond.. and I get 5lbs more with Diamond..

I am going to start going to the Butcher shop and buying scraps for the dogs.. He keeps stuff seperate for people to buy for dog food.. In the winter I'm going to start supplementing the dogs with that also...

You've only got 3 choices in life, give in, give up, or give it all you got.

Old Post 07-19-2011 07:50 PM
Melanie H. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Melanie H. Click here to Send Melanie H. a Private Message Click Here to Email Melanie H. Visit Melanie H.'s homepage! Find more posts by Melanie H. Add Melanie H. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark A. Hauck
UKC Forum Member

M I've watched as all companies raised their prices, must have something to do with the cost of the ingredients ?? Don't know but I've never had a dog eat its own waste and have fed Purina One and Pro Plan for way more years than I'll admitt

Maybe them dogs need to see a doctor or something, I know its great feed but to eat it twice ???? Can anyone say head doctor

And Yes, I might pay a couple of $$ more for a product as long as they support my sport and continue to support a sport that I choose to take part in. Without our supporters from all walks of life our sport would be doomed and over.

Like the old saying goes I support those who support me !!! I think that is about as old as Apple pie and the American flag !!

GR NIte CH GR CH'PR' Dalton & Haucks BluRidge Lynn

GR Nite CH GR CH'PR' Southland's So Blue Queen

GR NIte Ch Rogers Blue Molly

Nite CH GR CH'PR' Daltons BluRidge Pat (Full liitermate brother to Smokey II)

Nite CH GR CH GR W CH'PR' Hauck's Carlolina Star

Nite CH GR CH'PR' Southland's Blue Queen II (Daughter of Queen)

GR CH'PR' Southland's Blue Nancy Ann

GR CH'PR' Southland's Blue Ebony (Daughter of Ann)

Nite CH'PR' Southland's Blue River Joe (4 wins to Grand & 15 cast wins !!)

Gr Nite CH CH'PR' Blue River Little Sue (Daughter of Lynn)

Old Post 07-19-2011 08:02 PM
Mark A. Hauck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. Hauck Click here to Send Mark A. Hauck a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark A. Hauck Find more posts by Mark A. Hauck Add Mark A. Hauck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Virgil
UKC Forum Member

I have fed Purina foods for several years, mostly Pro Plan but also One and Dog Chow at times and I have never had a dog eat it's stool.

Old Post 07-19-2011 09:17 PM
Virgil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Virgil Click here to Send Virgil a Private Message Click Here to Email Virgil Find more posts by Virgil Add Virgil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ohme
UKC Forum Member

ive fed both but pro plan perfomance is way better and i will never buy extreme athlete again it was way over rated.

Old Post 07-19-2011 10:41 PM
ohme is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ohme Click here to Send ohme a Private Message Click Here to Email ohme Find more posts by ohme Add ohme to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VA BLACKDAWG
UKC Forum Member

Great input!

Old Post 07-20-2011 03:22 AM
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Agreed........

quote:
Originally posted by ohme
ive fed both but pro plan perfomance is way better and i will never buy extreme athlete again it was way over rated.

Great post and oh so True.......!!!!

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights
==================================
** Superior Lights
** Cajun Lights
** Brighteyes Coon Lights

Purina Dog Food
**Been around for a long long time **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 10-04-2014 05:54 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

Love pro plan but at 52.99 for 35# just not in my budget anymore. I do feed purina one its still reasonable and isnt that much of a drop off from pp

Never fed ea. Think I may try a bag...

PR B and B's Smokin' Willie

"PR"B and B's Coon Doctor
( Gr.Nite Ch.Bee Creek Dr.Max xGr.Nite Ch. Moonshine Maggie)

Past Home of:

Nite Ch. "PR"B and B's Smokin' Misty (2007-2018)

Nite Ch B&B's Black Hoss (1992-2003)

Nite Ch.Gr.Ch. Shaker Hill Mr. Grubbs (2003-2011)

Old Post 10-04-2014 07:50 PM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mark10
UKC Forum Member

USED to feed hi pro great results. Now I feed puppy chow till they are one, then move to purina one. If im hunting hard id mix it with pro plan but I have one dog id hate to feed a whole kennel, have to get a second job.

Old Post 10-04-2014 09:07 PM
mark10 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mark10 Click here to Send mark10 a Private Message Click Here to Email mark10 Find more posts by mark10 Add mark10 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

there is no comparison in the two. Pro Plan is hands down the best food you can buy for active hound that hunts hard. jmo, but an educated one.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 10-04-2014 11:05 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smoke
UKC Forum Member

Native level 3 and 4 is what I've been feeding. Buy 10 bags get 1 free.

Old Post 10-04-2014 11:19 PM
Smoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smoke Click here to Send Smoke a Private Message Find more posts by Smoke Add Smoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BETHLEHEM BLUES
UKC Forum Member

Pro plan

I have fed purina one for a long time, I decided to try the EA for several months my hounds never did very well on it at all & I gave them plenty of time to adjust, so I switched to the pro plan hands down the best I've ever fed, also I order it off of chewy.com a lot cheaper than the stores

(RIP) Nt Ch HTX Uchtman first class Jack
(RIP) Gr Nite Ch Yeager’s Wild N Wonderful Ginger

Heikki Yeager (304) 905-3585

Old Post 10-04-2014 11:28 PM
BETHLEHEM BLUES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BETHLEHEM BLUES Click here to Send BETHLEHEM BLUES a Private Message Click Here to Email BETHLEHEM BLUES Find more posts by BETHLEHEM BLUES Add BETHLEHEM BLUES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Feed what you want

I fed black gold for years. My coonhounds didn't do so good on it. I switched to Purina Pro Plan Savor. They do great and I run 4 days a week for about 4-5 hours a night and I feed the reccomended amount. . With all the recalls that Diamond has had I wouldn't feed that to my neighbors mutts.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 10-05-2014 12:06 AM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WattsFlatsRedbo
UKC Forum Member

If cost was no concern I'd be feeding Blue Wilderness, but since I'm not a rich man I feed the best food I can get for the best price. When it comes to the best food for the price I think its Diamond Naturals EA. My dogs seem to do well on it.

Home#(814)664-9694
Cell#(716)338-7372
Home of:
(R.I.P.) GRNITECH CH 'PR' WATTS FLATS FATTY PATTY
(2006 Overall Southern Redbone Champion)
(GrNtCh winner and High scoring dog Sat night with 1100+/75-)
(2005 Qualified for UKC World)
(2006 Qualified for UKC World)
(2006 Autumn Oaks GrNtCh cast winner)
(PKC Money Winner)

GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' WATTS FLATS JUMP'EM UP JEB HTX-3 (DNA-P)
( Out of Patty and Lash's Rowdy)
(2008 Qualified for UKC World)
(1st Place GrNt and Overall High-Scoring Dog at the 2009 PA Governers Cup)
(1st place NtCh and Overall High-Scoring Dog at the 2008 NYS Battle of the Breeds Hunt)
(1st place Reg. Ny State Spring Championship)
(3rd place Reg. 2008 National Redbone Days, Fri night)
(2nd place Reg. BBOA Zone hunt)
(PKC Money Winner)

(R.I.P.) GRNITECH 'PR' WATTS FLATS MUDDY CREEK MAGGIE HTX-2 (DNA-P)
(Out of Jeb and Hiedi)
(2013 Qualified for World Championship)
(2015 Qualified for World Championship)
(2013 Ohio Gov Cup- NiteCh winner and Overall opposite sex winner)
(2014 National Redbone Days High-scoring female and 3rd place overall Thurs night)
(PKC Money Winner)

+ Upcoming:
'PR' WATTS FLATS STATELINE SALLY
(Maggie X Moon)

Old Post 10-05-2014 02:11 AM
WattsFlatsRedbo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WattsFlatsRedbo Click here to Send WattsFlatsRedbo a Private Message Click Here to Email WattsFlatsRedbo Find more posts by WattsFlatsRedbo Add WattsFlatsRedbo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

We switched from PP to DN due to cost and runny stools in my older hounds. I saw good changes in everything you all said here as well since then. Except for one pup. He was on DNPuppy. Kept loose bowels. Runny eye. No wt gain. I work for a vet so we did test after test.....my vet suggested to swap in to PP and WALLLAHA! He's better.

I just bought the second bag and could have bought almost 2 bags of DN. Hope he gets straighten out soon.

As for Purina sponcering our sport.....they sponcer all kinds of dog events. Shows hunts ralley bird dog beagle duck retrievers. ... its in the bag for Purina. Its a write off on taxes. They aren't doing it because they love the coonhound world. Diamond companies are family run. They have sponcered some of the Acha World and were very gracious

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;
UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled
'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
BuckEye Valleys Carolina Girl (Claire)
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin Daisy JJ
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Last edited by Cleo on 10-05-2014 at 11:07 AM

Old Post 10-05-2014 11:01 AM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote