UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Water Races ???
Pages (10): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rivers Edge
UKC Forum Member

Water Races ???

JUST WONDERIN WHAT PEOPLE THOUGHT ABOUT IT ? CAN YOU RUN THE SAME DOG YOU COMP HUNT IN THE WATER RACE?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-22-2011 07:25 PM
Rivers Edge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rivers Edge Click here to Send Rivers Edge a Private Message Find more posts by Rivers Edge Add Rivers Edge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stonehill
UKC Forum Member

I have water raced My dogs for over 40 years . I have never seen any bad effects on any of My dogs ever !! I have seen lots of positive effects however. I can honestly say some of My very best water race dogs were also My very best Coon dogs !!! Many people who know Me will tell You about My Lipper ll , I think he is still the only grand water ch sired by ole Houses Lipper, or My Magic dog ,only grand water champion sired by Beaver Lake Magic ! Theese dogs were Coondogs !! I will not be told that I foolishly spent money on entry fees. I loved theese dogs , others like ,Lena,Gracie,Cindy,Repac,Dancer ,Evinrude,Joe,Jewell,Annie,Dove.Crackshot,Dark Abbey, and My current water champ Ole Blue ( yea a bluetick ,sired by Jaggs,and a coondog ). If anyone does not like this sport ,that's fine. But don't bad mouth it or, field trials, or bench shows. Don't say nobody would care about theese titles either because I care and like it or not My opinion is just as valuable as Yours.Anyway back to original question,of course you can water race same dog you comp. hunt. You can also enter field trials and bench shows.When you make multiple grand Ch. You will have something to really be proud of !!!one thing I will say, in case You don't know,its rare but sometimes a very good coondog won't bark at a caged coon ,don't try to force it to !!! In this case the field trials and water races are out.Good Luck !!!

Last edited by stonehill on 05-25-2011 at 07:30 AM

Old Post 05-23-2011 04:41 AM
stonehill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stonehill Click here to Send stonehill a Private Message Click Here to Email stonehill Find more posts by stonehill Add stonehill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Randy Tallon
UKC Forum Member

I have to agree with stonehill. Years ago our club had a set up for water races. Swimming is one of the best exercises for anybody or anything!!! There is no impact on the musculo-skeleton system of the dogs. When the old timers that swam their dogs passed away or could no longer be involved the gates and cable went to ruin. I wish I still had that available, especially for the young dogs and that fact that it was an exercise that you could involve the dogs in hot conditions.

USAF proud!!! 6 Years active 19 Reserves MSgt (ret) Raven 457
Carpe Nocturnum-Seize the night!

Old Post 05-23-2011 01:37 PM
Randy Tallon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Tallon Click here to Send Randy Tallon a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Tallon Find more posts by Randy Tallon Add Randy Tallon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tutone dog
UKC Forum Member

these events also help to keep the clubs alive clubs srtuggle for every dollar to keep the doors open if you want a place to comp hunt you need a club support your local club any way you can

Old Post 05-23-2011 02:09 PM
tutone dog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tutone dog Click here to Send tutone dog a Private Message Click Here to Email tutone dog Find more posts by tutone dog Add tutone dog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

I Like Them !!!

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Old Post 05-23-2011 03:02 PM
Majestic Tree H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majestic Tree H Click here to Send Majestic Tree H a Private Message Click Here to Email Majestic Tree H Visit Majestic Tree H's homepage! Find more posts by Majestic Tree H Add Majestic Tree H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blackwater Pete
UKC Forum Member

I myself never entered a dog in the swim race but do like to watch them and some people do them instead of hunting cause there bodies cant take hunting but still like to go to the clubs to bs and still compete.

Proud member of PKC
Jason Denzer

Old Post 05-23-2011 03:43 PM
Blackwater Pete is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blackwater Pete Click here to Send Blackwater Pete a Private Message Click Here to Email Blackwater Pete Find more posts by Blackwater Pete Add Blackwater Pete to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RED REBELS
UKC Forum Member

i like them, my dog likes them too (i've only messed with one in the water races, so far)

she is good at it too, some people say that is because she is fat and so that makes her buoyant, but i don't care, she likes it and i think it's fun watching dogs to it

Old Post 05-23-2011 05:33 PM
RED REBELS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RED REBELS Click here to Send RED REBELS a Private Message Find more posts by RED REBELS Add RED REBELS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

Very Close Line Win

540-421-2875

French X American Hounds

Old Post 05-23-2011 05:52 PM
Majestic Tree H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majestic Tree H Click here to Send Majestic Tree H a Private Message Click Here to Email Majestic Tree H Visit Majestic Tree H's homepage! Find more posts by Majestic Tree H Add Majestic Tree H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bubbasullivan
UKC Forum Member

wish we had more of them around here.

Old Post 05-23-2011 07:16 PM
bubbasullivan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bubbasullivan Click here to Send bubbasullivan a Private Message Click Here to Email bubbasullivan Find more posts by bubbasullivan Add bubbasullivan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
s/s
UKC Forum Member

LOVE EM!!!!

They are fun, entertaining and competitive. It brings more houndsmen out for fellowship and talking bs about hounds along with making extra money for the clubs

Just another way for folks to enjoy their hounds that either do or don't hunt their dogs for pleasure or competition, for what ever reason. Some folks pleasure hunt and don't comp hunt. Some folks can't get in the woods to hunt at all for health reasons..This by no means is for everyone, but it is out there for us to do with our hounds, and if more would try it, they might find that they like it!!

It's good to see some positive feedback

STEVE!! LOVE YOUR PHOTO'S!!

Home of:

ACHA CH AKC CH CSG UKC GRFCH GRWCH GRCH 'PR' TREE RIZIN' T-REX II
At Stud/Private Treaty
2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 UKC Performance Sire / 2010 AKC Supreme Breeders Sire
2010 #7 UKC Top Ten Redbone Bench Show Dog
2009 Indiana State Youth 1st Line/1st Tree Water Race Champion
2007 Autumn Oaks Champion Redbone Male

WCH GRFCH GRCH 'PR' CRITTER CREEKS ICE ICE BABY
CH 'PR' APPLEBEE'S MAGGIE~Tracker X Ice Baby~owner/handler ZACH WOOD
2012 Missouri Federation Youth Championship Cast winner, 4th Place & Queen of Hunt
2012 Iowa State Youth Best Female of Show
2012 Missouri State Youth High Scoring Redbone
2012 Missouri State Youth Champion Female of Show
2012 Marshall, MO Cast winner, 2nd Place

AKC CSG UKC GRCH 'PR' CRITTER CREEKS SWEET ICE T~Tracker X Ice Baby
2008~Charleston, MS State Championship Champion of Champion Female @ 9 months old
GRCH 'PR' CRITTER CREEKS TRACKER JACK~Tracker X Ice Baby
2008 Mississippi State Over-all Show Champion @ 9 months old
Needed 10 points for WCH @ 14 months old
RIP lil buddy, you were definitely one of a kind and you are truly missed~my heart

AKC CSG UKC FCH GRWCH GRCH 'PR' CRITTER CREEKS BIG RED TRACTOR~Tracker X Ice Baby
AKC CCH UKC CH 'PR' CRITTER CREEKS ROCK STAR~Tracker X Ice Baby
AKC CH UKC CH 'PR' CRITTER CREEKS CRY ME A RIVER~Tracker X Ice Baby
CH'PR' MARVS MULESKINNER ICE BABY RED~Tracker X Ice Baby

AKC CCH ACHA CH UKC GRWCH GRCH 'PR' CRITTER CREEKS SOUTHERN GRACE
CH 'PR' CRITTER CREEKS PHASE II~Tracker X Grace
RIP Hot Dog. I wish I could have a redo with you big guy. Truely sorry you're gone </3

AKC CGW UKC GRWCH 'PR' CC'S SOUTHERN OUTLAW TRACKER~Tracker X Grace
2012 MO Federation High Point Water Race Champion

AKC CH CGCH UKC GRCH 'PR' RIVER RIDGE EYE ON SATURN
2008 #7 UKC Top Ten Redbone Bench Show Dog
AKC CSG UKC WCH GRFCH GRCH 'PR' CRITTERCREEK MOMMAS GOTTA HEMI~Tracker X Saturn
09/2012 Cast win for a 2nd place in her first nite hunt
2012 American Redbone Days Hunting Pairs

WCH CH
'PR' CRITTER CREEKS JOHNNIE ANGEL~Tracker X Saturn
2013 Indiana State Youth 1st Tree Field Trial Champion
CH 'PR' CRITTER CREEKS GIRLS CAN II~Tracker X Saturn

AKC CH CSG UKC GRFCH WCH GRCH 'PR' SECOND EDITIONS MAKING WAVES
2013 UKC Performance Sire
2012 #5 UKC Top Ten Redbone Bench Show Dog
2012 MISSOURI FEDERATION ZONE 8 HIGH POINT BENCH CHAMPION
2012 UKC Performance Sire
2012 Southern Redbone Days/Friday/CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS/Pairs
2012 Grand American CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS/Champion Redbone Male
2011 Annual KING & QUEEN Kinder, MO/CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS
2010 AUTUMN OAKS/Best Senior Redbone Male
2009 NATIONAL REDBONE DAYS/Best Male Of Show
2010 AKC SOUTH CAROLINA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP/Best Male Of Show

Old Post 05-23-2011 08:59 PM
s/s is offline Click Here to See the Profile for s/s Click here to Send s/s a Private Message Click Here to Email s/s Visit s/s's homepage! Find more posts by s/s Add s/s to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lakeland Kennel
Banned

One of the most well known and popular coon clubs in the country, the Flora Coon Club of Flora, Illinois, currently hosts water races. I would bet they were schedualed for Black and Tan Days.

I am like some of the others, I used to race because of the exercise for my dogs, not to win. And no, water races never hurt a dog for night hunting. I would like to have a nickle in my pocket for every water race I turned the crank for as a boy and young man. I am a member of the Flora club but I haven't raced yet. The local club, the Coles Co. Coonhunter's Club has a pond, gate, and poles with wire between them.

Water racing is fun for the whole family.

LAKELAND KENNELS
PKC Sq Ch Lakeland's Mini Mouse
SqCh Lakeland's Goldie
SqCh Lakeland's Kate
GrCh HBCh Lakeland's Cricket II

Old Post 05-23-2011 09:09 PM
Lakeland Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lakeland Kennel Click here to Send Lakeland Kennel a Private Message Click Here to Email Lakeland Kennel Find more posts by Lakeland Kennel Add Lakeland Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

Re: Water Races ???

quote:
Originally posted by Rivers Edge
JUST WONDERIN WHAT PEOPLE THOUGHT ABOUT IT ? CAN YOU RUN THE SAME DOG YOU COMP HUNT IN THE WATER RACE?

Just a Note !!!! In the photo I Posted above ... Their happens to be 2- Real CoonHounds in that Photo ~~

Lady's Man in the Fore Ground and Harry Right behind him ....

Some of the Very Best "Their Was and Is" !!

In The Very Top Photo I posted is the Most Titled Hound their Is !!!!!

"Adonis"

Home of the UKC's Most Titled Coonhound
URO1 GRFCH GRWCH FO NITECH CCH GRCH
'PR' Chelle's Heartstop'n Spot "Adonis" HTX (AKC FCH WCH RN CGC)

Swim the Heck out of Them !!!!

Thanks on the Photo SS

540-421-2875

French X American Hounds

Last edited by Majestic Tree H on 05-23-2011 at 10:10 PM

Old Post 05-23-2011 09:13 PM
riproarinkennel
Banned

YEE HAW !!!!

http://www.myspace.com/janetandbarrymorris

Old Post 05-23-2011 09:35 PM
riproarinkennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for riproarinkennel Click here to Send riproarinkennel a Private Message Click Here to Email riproarinkennel Find more posts by riproarinkennel Add riproarinkennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

Saltlick's "Boo" Lead Hound in this Race ... 9 months old and the First Day he ever Saw a Live Coon ....

http://www.youtube.com/user/Saltlic.../19/fc2ZLsgGEVE

540-421-2875

French X American Hounds

Old Post 05-23-2011 10:25 PM
Dale Young
UKC Forum Member

Many Clubs around here are getting almost as many entries from the shows ,Field Trials and Water races as they are the hunts these days.

Old Post 05-24-2011 01:45 AM
Dale Young is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dale Young Click here to Send Dale Young a Private Message Click Here to Email Dale Young Find more posts by Dale Young Add Dale Young to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stonehill
UKC Forum Member

Water races are rapidly gaining in popularity here in Mo. too, especially since MCHF has started a points race for very serious prizes just like they do with their hunts and shows . I look for more MO. clubs to start holding races , and neighboring states should join in too ! Check it out Guys !!!!

Last edited by stonehill on 05-24-2011 at 03:57 AM

Old Post 05-24-2011 03:50 AM
stonehill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stonehill Click here to Send stonehill a Private Message Click Here to Email stonehill Find more posts by stonehill Add stonehill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Badlandcat
UKC Forum Member

Great fun to watch and compete in. Water Ch degree is one of the harder ones to earn. The hound earns it by itself, all you do is load them in the start box and leash them up at the tree, no fancy calling in between.

GRWCH CCH GRFCH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Tias Razor Rippin' Ruby(1st Black and Tan Quintuple Champion)

NITECH GRFCH CCH GRCH 'PR' Sage Creek Sky (5 points from WCH)
FCH GRCH 'PR' Sage Creek Sammy HTX
CH 'PR' Tia's Cowboy Troy
CH 'PR' Tia's Happin' Haley

Old Post 05-24-2011 03:59 AM
Badlandcat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Badlandcat Click here to Send Badlandcat a Private Message Click Here to Email Badlandcat Find more posts by Badlandcat Add Badlandcat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Baldwin
UKC Forum Member

They had one over here at our local club. The only dog that opened up going across the water was the walker dog. I tried to get the rest minused for being silent on track but no one listened.

Old Post 05-24-2011 03:59 AM
Jason Baldwin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Baldwin Click here to Send Jason Baldwin a Private Message Find more posts by Jason Baldwin Add Jason Baldwin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
riproarinkennel
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Badlandcat
[B] Water Ch degree is one of the harder ones to earn. The hound earns it by itself,

'NUFF SAID.

http://www.myspace.com/janetandbarrymorris

Old Post 05-24-2011 11:16 AM
riproarinkennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for riproarinkennel Click here to Send riproarinkennel a Private Message Click Here to Email riproarinkennel Find more posts by riproarinkennel Add riproarinkennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

Think about it. I don't know why coonhunting has as big a following as it does. Would you "watch" the Kentucky Derby if it were run at night in the dark. Hello. I can enjoy a baseball game on the radio but only because they have an anouncer calling the play by play. What's in it for people at a coonhunt event, buy goodies, watch a bench show, watch a water race, and watch a treeing contest. That's about it and that's only at the bigger ones.

Old Post 05-25-2011 05:17 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

I am going to my first water race EVER this Saturday. I can't wait! If Cash's papers are here I'm gonna put him in. I know I'm gonna take my new gal (co owned with Doug Bowers off of toucan sam) and let her have a go. She's all coon dog too.

Don't rain on our parade. As long as I can be around my hounds and other houndsman I don't care what I'm doing.

Sabrina,

How's the Wade master doing?? Be safe girl friend. You got some nice hounds!

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Old Post 05-25-2011 10:56 AM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
s/s
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cleo

As long as I can be around my hounds and other houndsman I don't care what I'm doing.

Sabrina,

Good luck this weekend and have fun!!!!

Wade is doing great! And now that Cluez has moved up to WCH, Wade and Ice Baby will have a better chance to shine...That dang pup is stinkin' fast!!! 3 races in 3 states with 3 wins=WCH !! I have sent Hot Dog off to get started in the woods..No word yet on how he's doing. My hands are about to fall off because I have been sitting on the for over a week to keep from calling..LOL
We've had a bit of a slow down due to Sam falling and hurting his back. So, I have been real selective about how far I am going. We are definitely not going to be able to make it to any of the breed days this year. I am really bummed about that. But, I think I am finding enough to do to stay busy with these hounds..Like most, I wish there were more of these water race events closer, but I am ALWAYS on the lookout for anything within a 5 hour drive..It's all about having fun!!

Home of:

At Stud/Private Treaty
2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 UKC Performance Sire / 2010 AKC Supreme Breeders Sire

2012 Missouri Federation Youth Championship Cast winner, 4th Place & Queen of Hunt

2008~Charleston, MS State Championship Champion of Champion Female @ 9 months old
RIP lil buddy, you were definitely one of a kind and you are truly missed~my heart

AKC CSG UKC FCH GRWCH GRCH 'PR' CRITTER CREEKS BIG RED TRACTOR~Tracker X Ice Baby

RIP Hot Dog. I wish I could have a redo with you big guy. Truely sorry you're gone </3

WCH CH

Old Post 05-25-2011 01:43 PM
s/s is offline Click Here to See the Profile for s/s Click here to Send s/s a Private Message Click Here to Email s/s Visit s/s's homepage! Find more posts by s/s Add s/s to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
s/s
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cleo

As long as I can be around my hounds and other houndsman I don't care what I'm doing.

Sabrina,

Good luck this weekend and have fun!!!!

Wade is doing great! And now that Cluez has moved up to WCH, Wade and Ice Baby will have a better chance to shine...That dang pup is stinkin' fast!!! 3 races in 3 states with 3 wins=WCH !!
I have sent Hot Dog off to get started in the woods..No word yet on how he's doing. My hands are about to fall off because I have been sitting on them for over a week to keep from calling..LOL...I know he is in awesome hands, so I'm trying not to stress it..When he has something to tell me, he'll call...
We've had a bit of a slow down due to Sam falling and hurting his back. So, I have been real selective about how far I am going. We are definitely not going to be able to make it to any of the breed days this year. I am really bummed about that. But, I think I am finding enough to do to stay busy with these hounds..Like most, I wish there were more of these water race events closer, but I am ALWAYS on the lookout for anything within a 5 hour drive..It's all about having fun!!

Home of:

At Stud/Private Treaty

WCH CH

Old Post 05-25-2011 01:46 PM
Dale Young
UKC Forum Member

It's all about having fun!!

Thats where it all should start and stop.

Old Post 05-25-2011 01:48 PM
Dale Young is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dale Young Click here to Send Dale Young a Private Message Click Here to Email Dale Young Find more posts by Dale Young Add Dale Young to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redkid
UKC Forum Member

just like riproarin kennel said (my papaw) it is tough on a dog in the water race. my dog is a grand champion in the water race and she is in perfect health.

Old Post 05-25-2011 03:02 PM
redkid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redkid Click here to Send redkid a Private Message Click Here to Email redkid Find more posts by redkid Add redkid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote