UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Penicillon For Dogs???
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PRITCHARD
UKC Forum Member

Penicillon For Dogs???

Does anyone know how much Penicillon do you give a dog per body weight? Thanks..JMP

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-06-2010 05:56 AM
PRITCHARD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PRITCHARD Click here to Send PRITCHARD a Private Message Click Here to Email PRITCHARD Find more posts by PRITCHARD Add PRITCHARD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DarkMan
UKC Forum Member

2cc for 3 to 4 days,a half to 1cc for pups...a fresh bottle too.

Old Post 07-06-2010 08:47 AM
DarkMan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DarkMan Click here to Send DarkMan a Private Message Find more posts by DarkMan Add DarkMan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Patrick Moore
UKC Forum Member

PRITCHARD,

I HAVE A VIAL OF PENN G SUSPENSION (DURA-PEN) - YOU CAN ONLY GIVE IT SUB-Q (UNDER THE SKIN) DO NOT GIVE IN THE MUSCLE. SHAKE WELL & GIVE 1cc THEN SKIP A DAY AND GIVE ANOTHER. THIS IS ALL THEY SHOULD NEED.

MINE IS LABELED TO GIVE 2cc FOR 150 lbs, SO 1cc WOULD BE THE PROPER DOSEAGE FOR AN ADULT COONHOUND. 1/2cc FOR A PUP

THIS IS PER MY SMALL ANIMAL VET & MY LARGE ANIMAL VET. BOTH SAID THE SAME THING & DO NOT KNOW EACH OTHER.

Old Post 07-06-2010 02:26 PM
Patrick Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick Moore Click here to Send Patrick Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Patrick Moore Find more posts by Patrick Moore Add Patrick Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan Dogs
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Moore
PRITCHARD,

I HAVE A VIAL OF PENN G SUSPENSION (DURA-PEN) - YOU CAN ONLY GIVE IT SUB-Q (UNDER THE SKIN) DO NOT GIVE IN THE MUSCLE. SHAKE WELL & GIVE 1cc THEN SKIP A DAY AND GIVE ANOTHER. THIS IS ALL THEY SHOULD NEED.

MINE IS LABELED TO GIVE 2cc FOR 150 lbs, SO 1cc WOULD BE THE PROPER DOSEAGE FOR AN ADULT COONHOUND. 1/2cc FOR A PUP

THIS IS PER MY SMALL ANIMAL VET & MY LARGE ANIMAL VET. BOTH SAID THE SAME THING & DO NOT KNOW EACH OTHER.

never heard of penicillan not being intermuscular, whats the side effects?? ive put in the muscle all my life. i know the doctor put it in my azz when i had bronchitis..lol

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Old Post 07-06-2010 03:08 PM
Dan Dogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Dogs Click here to Send Dan Dogs a Private Message Click Here to Email Dan Dogs Find more posts by Dan Dogs Add Dan Dogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CSnowgren
UKC Forum Member

If this is for the gyp with the uti, take 30 minutes out of your day and look into gram positive and gram negative bacteria, which is most likely in your gyp and how effective pen is with existing infections as a result of the type of bacteria. Pen is useful in preventing infections and sub-par (in most cases) when infections already exist that are of any great concern. Additionally, if you get her loaded up with pen for 3 days and it doesn't work, you can't/shouldn't mix another antibiotic with it. Which means she runs the risk of having permanent damage to what was originally a simple fix in the beginning.

Old Post 07-06-2010 03:50 PM
CSnowgren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CSnowgren Click here to Send CSnowgren a Private Message Find more posts by CSnowgren Add CSnowgren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Patrick Moore
UKC Forum Member

DAN DOGS,

MINE IS CLEARLY LABELED TO GIVE SUB-Q ONLY. FROM WHAT I'VE READ & BEEN TOLD IT MAY CAUSE TISSUE DAMAGE TO THAT AREA & LEAVE RESIDUALS IN THE MUSCLE. IT IS JUST AS EFFECTIVE GIVEN SUB-Q.

AND I DISAGREE WITH ITS EFFECTIVENESS ON ALREADY PRESENT INFECTIONS. IT WORKS VERY WELL ON GRAM POSITIVE BACTERIA BUT NOT EFFECTIVE ON GRAM NEGATIVE INFECTIONS. I RECENTLY GAVE 2 DOSES TO MY FRIENDS 90 LB BULLDOG 36 HRS APART THAT HAD KENNEL COUGH AND HE WAS WELL ON THE 4TH DAY- NO COUGH. YOU CANNOT USE TETRACYCLINES WITH THIS PRODUCT.

CLICK ON LINK FOR INFO.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/dura-pen.html

Old Post 07-06-2010 04:44 PM
Patrick Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick Moore Click here to Send Patrick Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Patrick Moore Find more posts by Patrick Moore Add Patrick Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CSnowgren
UKC Forum Member

lol The point that I was trying to make is that pen sucks for most severe infections because it only works on a certain type of bacteria. More often than not, many other bacteria will exist and thrive due to the initial infection and pen can't touch them. The secondary infections may become so great as to limit the pen's effectiveness for what it was designed for.....hence the phrase "broad spectrum". Argue semantics all you want, if the uti is bad or has been given a headstart, pen will be ultimately insufficient as it will take much longer than necessary and additional damage could occur due to secondary "unseen" infections. Go for whatchya know I guess.

Old Post 07-06-2010 05:08 PM
CSnowgren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CSnowgren Click here to Send CSnowgren a Private Message Find more posts by CSnowgren Add CSnowgren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CSnowgren
UKC Forum Member

http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthrea...threadid=362434

Blood in the urine is beyond pen's help.

Old Post 07-06-2010 05:16 PM
Dan Dogs
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Moore
DAN DOGS,

MINE IS CLEARLY LABELED TO GIVE SUB-Q ONLY. FROM WHAT I'VE READ & BEEN TOLD IT MAY CAUSE TISSUE DAMAGE TO THAT AREA & LEAVE RESIDUALS IN THE MUSCLE. IT IS JUST AS EFFECTIVE GIVEN SUB-Q.

AND I DISAGREE WITH ITS EFFECTIVENESS ON ALREADY PRESENT INFECTIONS. IT WORKS VERY WELL ON GRAM POSITIVE BACTERIA BUT NOT EFFECTIVE ON GRAM NEGATIVE INFECTIONS. I RECENTLY GAVE 2 DOSES TO MY FRIENDS 90 LB BULLDOG 36 HRS APART THAT HAD KENNEL COUGH AND HE WAS WELL ON THE 4TH DAY- NO COUGH. YOU CANNOT USE TETRACYCLINES WITH THIS PRODUCT.

CLICK ON LINK FOR INFO.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/dura-pen.html

i see this is different than pen G. which i use on my dogs and cattle.

Old Post 07-06-2010 06:05 PM
Dan Dogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Dogs Click here to Send Dan Dogs a Private Message Click Here to Email Dan Dogs Find more posts by Dan Dogs Add Dan Dogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Patrick Moore
UKC Forum Member

DONT SEE WHERE THE ORIGINAL POST WAS FOR A UTI ? - I DONT USE PENICILLAN FOR THAT ANYWAY. MOSTLY FOR RESPIRATORY ISSUES

Old Post 07-06-2010 06:26 PM
Dan Dogs
UKC Forum Member

i use agri cillin pen G proclain and it is for intramuscular use only!! so depending on what you use, you better read the label.

Old Post 07-06-2010 06:56 PM
jodaviess1
UKC Forum Member

EXCEED

EXPENSIVE YES. LOOKS LIKE CHOCOLATE MILK. IT WORKS FOR ABOUT EVERYTHING. <v>

Old Post 07-07-2010 01:29 AM
jodaviess1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jodaviess1 Click here to Send jodaviess1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jodaviess1 Find more posts by jodaviess1 Add jodaviess1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PRITCHARD
UKC Forum Member

Cephalexin

Cephalexin is what my vet to use on my female with the Bladder infection. So we will see how well it works.

Old Post 07-07-2010 03:44 AM
PRITCHARD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PRITCHARD Click here to Send PRITCHARD a Private Message Click Here to Email PRITCHARD Find more posts by PRITCHARD Add PRITCHARD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buckshot
UKC Forum Member

Re: Cephalexin

quote:
Originally posted by PRITCHARD
Cephalexin is what my vet to use on my female with the Bladder infection. So we will see how well it works.

Last time I had one with it, that is what I used to treat it.

Old Post 07-07-2010 03:51 AM
Buckshot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Buckshot Click here to Send Buckshot a Private Message Click Here to Email Buckshot Find more posts by Buckshot Add Buckshot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

Depending on the probablem, first time i hit them very hard, like 3 or 4cc's, then back it off to 2 or 3 cc's wont hurt your dog.

Old Post 07-07-2010 04:09 AM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CSnowgren
UKC Forum Member

Re: Cephalexin

quote:
Originally posted by PRITCHARD

That is the right tool for the job!

Old Post 07-07-2010 01:45 PM
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

If you are using penicillin to prevent infections from fresh wounds 3-4 days of treatment is fine. However, if you are usinig it to fight an established infection you must use it a minimum of 10 days!!!!!!!!

Here is a clip from Petmed website: "Penicillin was the first antibiotic made available to humans during World War II. It was very effective against gram-positive bacteria, but didn’t last long and was susceptible to stomach acid so was wasted inside the body. It is often administered as a pre-operative injection, but is also used to treat dental and skin abcesses.

Bacteria often build resistance to this drug. Penicillin contain a molecular component known as a beta-lactam ring that is able to be interfered with by bacteria. This is how bacteria such as Staphylococci has been able to become resistant to these drugs."

By not using a full course (10 days) you are increasing the chances of creating antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 07-07-2010 04:10 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote