UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > vicks vapor rub on females in heat
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bluetickcooner
UKC Forum Member

vicks vapor rub on females in heat

i heard that vicks will cover the smell of a dog in heat? what is your opinions on this? if you were in a hunt and u applied it before the hunt and a male dog goes and smells the female and gets vicks on its nose would it hurt his smelling ability?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-03-2010 07:26 PM
bluetickcooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluetickcooner Click here to Send bluetickcooner a Private Message Click Here to Email bluetickcooner Find more posts by bluetickcooner Add bluetickcooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonsmen
UKC Forum Member

I was just told this while hunting with a friend Monday night. Never tried t but he said it works well. I'd think it would burn the female though. I def wouldNt go trying it in a nite hunt. I'd be pi$$Ed i casted out with a female comming in heat regardless Vicks or not

Last edited by coonsmen on 03-03-2010 at 07:38 PM

Old Post 03-03-2010 07:34 PM
coonsmen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonsmen Click here to Send coonsmen a Private Message Click Here to Email coonsmen Find more posts by coonsmen Add coonsmen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
william endress
UKC Forum Member

yes it does

This is an old nite hunt trick. I have seen it done and seems to effect the other dogs that smell it. My male wouldn't open on track and kind of half hearted treeing. A few nites later I found out the female had a coat of vicks applied to her. But my male was fine the next time out. live and learn i guess.

Old Post 03-03-2010 07:51 PM
william endress is offline Click Here to See the Profile for william endress Click here to Send william endress a Private Message Click Here to Email william endress Find more posts by william endress Add william endress to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bullet
UKC Forum Member

I drew out with a guy in the Zone semi-finals one year that covered up scent on a female in heat. He didn't say anything until after the hunt was over then showed us all of the crap he had put on his female. He said she was qualified and he wanted to hunt her bad. I understand that but I also understand the rules. The rule reads that if a female is found to be in season she is scratched. I know you will get the argument that she has to be smelling strong enough to affect other dogs but doesn't the strong smelling Vick's affect them too? I believe if someone is found to be circumventing the rules on purpose like that they should be barred. That is my opinion. I hope I have not offended anyone but that is just my humble opinion.

No Jesus.....No Peace

Old Post 03-03-2010 08:04 PM
Bullet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bullet Click here to Send Bullet a Private Message Find more posts by Bullet Add Bullet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
capt_agricultur
UKC Forum Member

/////

Diesel fuel

Old Post 03-03-2010 08:33 PM
capt_agricultur is offline Click Here to See the Profile for capt_agricultur Click here to Send capt_agricultur a Private Message Click Here to Email capt_agricultur Find more posts by capt_agricultur Add capt_agricultur to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

rub that stuff on your own nether regions first.

Lone Pine North

Old Post 03-03-2010 08:35 PM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blue Ice
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bullet
I drew out with a guy in the Zone semi-finals one year that covered up scent on a female in heat. He didn't say anything until after the hunt was over then showed us all of the crap he had put on his female. He said she was qualified and he wanted to hunt her bad. I understand that but I also understand the rules. The rule reads that if a female is found to be in season she is scratched. I know you will get the argument that she has to be smelling strong enough to affect other dogs but doesn't the strong smelling Vick's affect them too? I believe if someone is found to be circumventing the rules on purpose like that they should be barred. That is my opinion. I hope I have not offended anyone but that is just my humble opinion.

I Agree

Home of 'GRNTCH 'GRCH PR' Aaron's Hidden Meadows Blue Max (Bluetick)
Gone But Not Forgotten 6/25/15

NiteCh Dalton's Fathead Coonsmoker Ace (English) Gone but not Forgotten

CH'NiteCh'PR' LoneTree Subzero (Walker) Gone but Not Forgotton 5/25/14

Old Post 03-03-2010 08:48 PM
Blue Ice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blue Ice Click here to Send Blue Ice a Private Message Click Here to Email Blue Ice Find more posts by Blue Ice Add Blue Ice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MATTY G
UKC Forum Member

Jesse, I've used Vicks on my females when in season while pleasure hunting with buddies.. It seems to work pretty good but I would not use it in a nite hunt,,I wouldn't take the chance to screw up the cast its not fair to the other guys in the hunt...

Old Post 03-03-2010 08:58 PM
MATTY G is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MATTY G Click here to Send MATTY G a Private Message Find more posts by MATTY G Add MATTY G to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stone3
UKC Forum Member

Re: /////

quote:
Originally posted by capt agricultur
Diesel fuel

i just believe that will affect a male dog if he gets that in his nose to!!!

Zach Smith
Cell:910 220 6775
Home:910 439 5262

Old Post 03-03-2010 09:13 PM
Stone3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stone3 Click here to Send Stone3 a Private Message Find more posts by Stone3 Add Stone3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM

I used it twice at hunts. Both times I was away on the road when she came in. I used Vicks and it worked well both times. It's really very simple, if it doesn't work your bitch is scratched.

Old Post 03-03-2010 09:17 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetickcooner
UKC Forum Member

its not a ukc licensed nite hunt its more of a buddy hunt thing at a local club i was just wondering for future reference. but thanks for all the input

Last edited by bluetickcooner on 03-03-2010 at 10:42 PM

Old Post 03-03-2010 10:37 PM
bluetickcooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluetickcooner Click here to Send bluetickcooner a Private Message Click Here to Email bluetickcooner Find more posts by bluetickcooner Add bluetickcooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AndyMiller
UKC Forum Member

///

take perfume thats got a strong smell it works use a can that u can spray best thing is not 2 hunt them when thr in heat

Last edited by AndyMiller on 03-03-2010 at 11:20 PM

Old Post 03-03-2010 11:06 PM
AndyMiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AndyMiller Click here to Send AndyMiller a Private Message Click Here to Email AndyMiller Find more posts by AndyMiller Add AndyMiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bullet

but it isn't against the rules, if they aren't attracting the other dogs then it makes no odds
quote:

Allen / UKC wrote on 06-10-2008 12:48 PM:
quote:

Autumn Clements wrote on 06-01-2008 01:10 PM:
Allen
After reading the topic on the msg board and everones opions on the ruling i'm curious to what UKCs ruling is for sure
Dogs will be scratched
Rule 6h. Bitches smelling strong enough to attract dogs or a dog that is just bad to bother bitches while other dogs pay them no attention.
People seem to interut it one of two ways ... the males have to be bothering the female before she can be scratched or a female in heat is scratched wether males bother her or not.

Autumn, That's pretty much it. A male must be affected by it before a female can be scratched for being in heat. Don't think there's really a need for anything beyond that as most owners would not even consider taking the chance of hunting a female in season when there's a chance they could get bred in the process.
Allen

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 03-03-2010 11:15 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jculler8
UKC Forum Member

I've used it in NITE HUNTS and have NEVER seen it effect ANY OTHER DOGS IN THE CAST FROM TREEING REAL LIVE RACCOONS!

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show

Old Post 03-03-2010 11:18 PM
jculler8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jculler8 Click here to Send jculler8 a Private Message Click Here to Email jculler8 Visit jculler8's homepage! Find more posts by jculler8 Add jculler8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mnplottman
UKC Forum Member

Ive had dogs get into a skunk and go tree a coon after and if that dont mess up thier smell vicks souldnt. Ive been in a hunt with a guy that used it and my male never bothered her at all.

Old Post 03-03-2010 11:23 PM
mnplottman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnplottman Click here to Send mnplottman a Private Message Find more posts by mnplottman Add mnplottman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetickcooner
UKC Forum Member

my dog is just coming into heat. last year she started bleeding on the 19th of march. last night i went hunting with her and 2 other male dogs and they were just checking her out. we treed 2 dens and a coon. i dont think they were bothering her too much other than just checkin her out. she isnt swollen or anything either.

Old Post 03-03-2010 11:37 PM
triker
UKC Forum Member

rub some on your self and see how it feels.is the hunt really worth it.give me a break leave the dog home.

GRCH GRNTCH CARGILLS JEWELL

Old Post 03-03-2010 11:55 PM
triker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for triker Click here to Send triker a Private Message Click Here to Email triker Find more posts by triker Add triker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buckshot
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by triker
rub some on your self and see how it feels.is the hunt really worth it.give me a break leave the dog home.

I guess a plastic trophy to some is worth gambling a OOPS litter for.

Old Post 03-04-2010 12:00 AM
Buckshot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Buckshot Click here to Send Buckshot a Private Message Click Here to Email Buckshot Find more posts by Buckshot Add Buckshot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonsmen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Buckshot
I guess a plastic trophy to some is worth gambling a OOPS litter for.

lol agreed. there is always next weekend.

Old Post 03-04-2010 12:12 AM
coonsmen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonsmen Click here to Send coonsmen a Private Message Click Here to Email coonsmen Find more posts by coonsmen Add coonsmen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sandi
UKC Forum Member

LOL my dad used to use this technique... DO NOT BE FOOLED!!! His new addage is "all it did was grease it up for him" !!! If you own females this is the down fall an you truely are taking a gamble... OH and it was a house dog that she tied up with loose on the farm

Heart.throbcoonhounds@gmail.com

Old Post 03-04-2010 01:19 AM
Sandi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sandi Click here to Send Sandi a Private Message Click Here to Email Sandi Find more posts by Sandi Add Sandi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rob Smith
UKC Forum Member

I used to use it at times it doesnt burn your female but it does mess up every male that sniffs her for 15 min. or so but it will also mess with your dog if you have to box her and move

Old Post 03-04-2010 02:15 AM
Rob Smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rob Smith Click here to Send Rob Smith a Private Message Find more posts by Rob Smith Add Rob Smith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Boggs
Banned

why

would you chance it if you had a GOOD BITCH knowing it could get bread to a no good dog when they are in heat eather breed it to the dog of your choise OR LEAVE IT AT HOME,david,,ps thats just how i fell about it is all.

Old Post 03-04-2010 02:58 AM
David Boggs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Boggs Click here to Send David Boggs a Private Message Click Here to Email David Boggs Find more posts by David Boggs Add David Boggs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jculler8
UKC Forum Member

Re: why

quote:
Originally posted by David Boggs
would you chance it if you had a GOOD BITCH knowing it could get bread to a no good dog when they are in heat eather breed it to the dog of your choise OR LEAVE IT AT HOME,david,,ps thats just how i fell about it is all.

See my female comes in different times. It's not like clockwork around here. Sometimes it's 5 months, others it's 6, heck it was 7 months between cycles. Dogs might be checking her for a month before she actually comes in. I don't want dogs foolin with her, so I put it on. I know Vicks will not hurt a dogs nose, and if it hurt any it would be the dog running around with it on all night!

If my bitch is bleeding, she's stayin at home! I really do not see how there is anything wrong with using it before a bitch actually comes in just to eliminate any kind of sniffing, etc.?

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show

Old Post 03-04-2010 05:34 AM
jculler8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jculler8 Click here to Send jculler8 a Private Message Click Here to Email jculler8 Visit jculler8's homepage! Find more posts by jculler8 Add jculler8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
late round lady
Banned

I will try that on my hubby see if it keeps him away lolo

Old Post 03-04-2010 12:32 PM
late round lady is offline Click Here to See the Profile for late round lady Click here to Send late round lady a Private Message Find more posts by late round lady Add late round lady to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
david r
UKC Forum Member

Vicks Vapor

quote:
Originally posted by late round lady
I will try that on my hubby see if it keeps him away lolo

HAHAHAHAHAHAH I might too!
Mary Reynolds

Team Trouble

Old Post 03-04-2010 01:41 PM
david r is offline Click Here to See the Profile for david r Click here to Send david r a Private Message Click Here to Email david r Find more posts by david r Add david r to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote