UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > average life span of walker coonhound
how long a healthy coon hound will live
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
8-10 12 10.62%
10-12 64 56.64%
12-14 34 30.09%
14-16 3 2.65%
Total: 113 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Family
UKC Forum Member

average life span of walker coonhound

lets hear it..how old can you expect a male dog to live? a hunted supposedly healthy coon hound

Grand Nite Champion Turpins Stylish Rube.

Sire of World Champion "Insane Jane"

Also another--Hamptons Stylish Jewel Placing 9th in The UKC World Hunt Last Year. She Took Them to 14th Place This Year !!!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh85/HuntingFamily/100_1125.jpg

"Turpins Stylish Rube" Breeding Females with 400 million live sperm/98% motility

"High Quality Sperm, like His Dad Stylish Hickory Nut Harry" Dr. Kenneth O'Hanlon-All Pets Medical Center, Altus, Ok.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-07-2009 12:02 AM
Family is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Family Click here to Send Family a Private Message Find more posts by Family Add Family to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Family
UKC Forum Member

please vote?

Grand Nite Champion Turpins Stylish Rube.

Sire of World Champion "Insane Jane"

Also another--Hamptons Stylish Jewel Placing 9th in The UKC World Hunt Last Year. She Took Them to 14th Place This Year !!!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh85/HuntingFamily/100_1125.jpg

"Turpins Stylish Rube" Breeding Females with 400 million live sperm/98% motility

"High Quality Sperm, like His Dad Stylish Hickory Nut Harry" Dr. Kenneth O'Hanlon-All Pets Medical Center, Altus, Ok.

Last edited by Family on 11-07-2009 at 12:24 AM

Old Post 11-07-2009 12:19 AM
Family is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Family Click here to Send Family a Private Message Find more posts by Family Add Family to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
copperheadcreek
UKC Forum Member

my male died at 7 years old. he was a great hound that could get-er-done

NTCH 'PR' Yadkin River Rose(4 wins toward grand)

Old Post 11-07-2009 12:40 AM
copperheadcreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for copperheadcreek Click here to Send copperheadcreek a Private Message Click Here to Email copperheadcreek Visit copperheadcreek's homepage! Find more posts by copperheadcreek Add copperheadcreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
intellectualist
Banned

The last one I had was around 10. His dad was around that age when he died as well.

Old Post 11-07-2009 01:21 AM
intellectualist is offline Click Here to See the Profile for intellectualist Click here to Send intellectualist a Private Message Click Here to Email intellectualist Find more posts by intellectualist Add intellectualist to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coldtrail
UKC Forum Member

His life expectancy depends heavily on if he trees a coon or not..............

Old Post 11-07-2009 01:26 AM
coldtrail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coldtrail Click here to Send coldtrail a Private Message Click Here to Email coldtrail Find more posts by coldtrail Add coldtrail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BRYAN J
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by coldtrail
His life expectancy depends heavily on if he trees a coon or not..............

Thats very true!

SAVE THE COON, HUNT WITH A HOUND!

Old Post 11-07-2009 01:47 AM
BRYAN J is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BRYAN J Click here to Send BRYAN J a Private Message Click Here to Email BRYAN J Find more posts by BRYAN J Add BRYAN J to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Nethery
UKC Forum Member

Its been my observation, over the years, that most of the Walkers I know of that have died of old age, were around Ten years old.
They seem to start going downhill pretty bad when they are eight years old.

GRNITECH GR"CH "PR" KIZERS Bleedin Blue Slugger, Bluetick and PR Netherys Trixie Bluetick

Old Post 11-07-2009 02:43 AM
Richard Nethery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Nethery Click here to Send Richard Nethery a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Nethery Find more posts by Richard Nethery Add Richard Nethery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee Stocking
UKC Forum Member

Depends on how hard they are hunted too....but average id guess is 10

NTCH PKCSilverCH Coble & Stocking's Swamp Rat Poison

NTCH Coble & Stocking's Stinger (GRNTCH Troubles x GRNTCH Fancy)

NTCH ACHA WReserve Team Troubles Trippy
Black & Tan

Old Post 11-07-2009 03:55 AM
Lee Stocking is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Stocking Click here to Send Lee Stocking a Private Message Click Here to Email Lee Stocking Find more posts by Lee Stocking Add Lee Stocking to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ronald schultz
UKC Forum Member

females seem to go sooner

8 or younger

Old Post 11-07-2009 04:48 AM
ronald schultz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ronald schultz Click here to Send ronald schultz a Private Message Find more posts by ronald schultz Add ronald schultz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

If they don't die from a hunting accident most of mine live past 12.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 11-07-2009 05:16 AM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fasteddie
UKC Forum Member

we got one right now that is 13 and still hunting him

Old Post 11-07-2009 05:25 AM
fasteddie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fasteddie Click here to Send fasteddie a Private Message Click Here to Email fasteddie Find more posts by fasteddie Add fasteddie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rockrivhuntr
UKC Forum Member

old walker

My dual ch male is 13 yrs old and I still hunt him some.

owner of:

'PR' Richard's Tarheel Talking Tiny
(ENG)...off GRNTCH CH 'PR' Kay's Blue John Bathis x 'PR' Little Penny********

'PR' Richard's Main Street Blue Gal
(ENG)...off of GRNTCH Main Street Blue x
GRNTCH Main Street Blueberry Jam

'PR' Lobo's Little Tarheel Shadow
(Plott)...off of FCH CH GRNTCH Shatley's Lobo
x Moses' Rugged Ridge Shout

Old Post 11-13-2009 03:10 AM
rockrivhuntr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rockrivhuntr Click here to Send rockrivhuntr a Private Message Click Here to Email rockrivhuntr Find more posts by rockrivhuntr Add rockrivhuntr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildbill
UKC Forum Member

my oldest male died around 14 and was hunted every season but not as much as he would have liked..his half sister is around 12 right now and her daughter is 9 + .....

i dont think this is the norm for reg purebred coondogs

most of my purebred walkers that died of normal old age ,usually died around 9-10 years old.....

some have die of lead poising for growling at the hand that feeds it and a few other stupid thing they shouldnt have done ..

but a normally life span of the good dogs i've had in the last 37yrs is between 9-10 yrs old..
i have 2 females 9 and 12 and
2 males (littermates)at 9 yrs old right now..
i consider all 4 of these dogs on borrowed time and only god can say how much more time they will be here...

wildbills101@yahoo
http://wildbills101.homestead.com/wildbills101.html

Old Post 11-13-2009 03:31 AM
wildbill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildbill Click here to Send wildbill a Private Message Click Here to Email wildbill Visit wildbill's homepage! Find more posts by wildbill Add wildbill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hitman1881
UKC Forum Member

i have a 9 year old grnt female that looks and acts alot younger and will go hard all night but after those long nights you can tell the old girl is a little stoved up.

Home of:

PKC CH - GRNTCH 'PR' Chic's Gone Wild

Ch 'PR' Salt Creek Saddie Mae

GRNITECH CH 'PR' A&L's Madd Treeing Maggie RIP

www.iowacoonhunters.com

Old Post 11-13-2009 03:47 AM
hitman1881 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hitman1881 Click here to Send hitman1881 a Private Message Visit hitman1881's homepage! Find more posts by hitman1881 Add hitman1881 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hmbdog1
UKC Forum Member

age of walkers

Had a walker drown by a coon at 12, not one sign of old age on him, hard hunter still had all his teeth never could hunt him down and pups and young dogs had tough time staying up with him. His dad died at 16 only because some coyotes got him down and pulled out his manhood, but his dad lived to 18 tuff line of hounds.

Old Post 11-13-2009 05:38 AM
hmbdog1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hmbdog1 Click here to Send hmbdog1 a Private Message Click Here to Email hmbdog1 Find more posts by hmbdog1 Add hmbdog1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
capt_agricultur
UKC Forum Member

/////

**** short on this property......

Old Post 11-13-2009 12:33 PM
capt_agricultur is offline Click Here to See the Profile for capt_agricultur Click here to Send capt_agricultur a Private Message Click Here to Email capt_agricultur Find more posts by capt_agricultur Add capt_agricultur to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

I got a female that is 12 that just won't quit. She will be 13 if she makes it through the winter.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 11-13-2009 01:21 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SCBluetickGal
UKC Forum Member

The oldest we've had was 10 when he died, but it wasn't from poor health or old age...we believe he broke his neck trying to get out of his pen. Except for the white in his face you would have never guessed how old he was, and he would still go ALL night in the woods, literally. I believe the old boy would have been hunting at least 3 years more if it hadn't been for that freak accident. No matter how long they live it's never long enough for the ones you love, in my opinion.

CH'PR'Moss Blue Carolina Rain-Queen of Show, BBOA Zone 6 Championship
NITECH CH 'PR' Carolina Flo
CH 'PR' Poison Whiskey Waylon
CH 'PR' Cruse's I'm Your Huckleberry
CH'PR' PoisonWhiskey WildHoney
'PR' Poison Whiskey CowgirlsDontCry
CH'PR' Bowers & O'Connor's Foxy Roxy
PoisonWhiskey SonOfTheSouth

Poison Whiskey Hello Darlin'-2013 AL State BMOS, AL State Hall of Fame King of Show

PoisonWhiskey LilMsHonkyTonk

Coming Soon...
PoisonWhiskeyMaybeItWasMemphis
PoisonWhiskey Heart Like Mine
-------------------------
In loving memory...
CCH GRCH 'PR' Swampland Blue Gypsy-RIP sweet girl
'PR' Miller Time

Old Post 11-13-2009 01:42 PM
SCBluetickGal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SCBluetickGal Click here to Send SCBluetickGal a Private Message Click Here to Email SCBluetickGal Find more posts by SCBluetickGal Add SCBluetickGal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
liberalcreek
UKC Forum Member

I have one that is 13 and gets hunted 1-2 nights a week and still looks like a pro and gets it done right.

Old Post 11-13-2009 03:38 PM
liberalcreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for liberalcreek Click here to Send liberalcreek a Private Message Find more posts by liberalcreek Add liberalcreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote