UKC Forums UKC Front Page :: Hunting Programs :: Dog Events :: Registration :: UKC Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Yellow eyed dogs
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dwils
UKC Forum Member

Yellow eyed dogs

have you ever heard people sayin(mostly old timers) they dont like a dog becasue its a "yellow" eyed dog? they claim they are rather strange acting and different apart from other dogs, untrustworthy or mean or something of the such. Just something i have noticed,lol, i have a dog with bright yellow eyes and the only thing i have noticed different about him is he seems to be very very intelligent. Just a Thought

Daniel

PKC CH GRNITECH "PR" SKUNA RIVER FRED BEAR(aka Hank)
'PR' Skuna River Faith (Bear X Cranking Good Time)

"LUCK FAVORS THE BOLD"

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-12-2009 06:09 PM
Dwils is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dwils Click here to Send Dwils a Private Message Click Here to Email Dwils Find more posts by Dwils Add Dwils to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Cattron
UKC Forum Member

I did not notice your dogs eyes being yellow, but your hunting partner was yellow then green that night he came down to hunt. LOL Hope he got feeling better, he lost his dinner twice that night.

Old Post 01-13-2009 12:05 AM
Mike Cattron is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Cattron Click here to Send Mike Cattron a Private Message Find more posts by Mike Cattron Add Mike Cattron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
heckler
UKC Forum Member

yeller eyed dogs that's a touchy subject with some folks.

My preference is black or dark brown.

That's as far as I'm going on that subject.

Old Post 01-13-2009 12:38 AM
heckler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for heckler Click here to Send heckler a Private Message Find more posts by heckler Add heckler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

I have a dog with yellow eyes, hes different acting doubtful its got anything to do with his eye color though lol

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
GRNITECH'PR'HIGH TECH MINI TESS

CH'PR'BUELL'S BLUE ROCKY

Old Post 01-13-2009 02:35 AM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Plottluvr
UKC Forum Member

Eye color doesn't matter to me. My pit bull X Bnt mix had yellow eyes and he was a smart dog. Too smart for his own skin at times.

As far as bench comps go as long as its not a fault I think it boils down to personal preference.

Personally, I think yellow eyed dogs are kinda neat lookin' on the creepy side even.

Old Post 01-13-2009 02:49 AM
Plottluvr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Plottluvr Click here to Send Plottluvr a Private Message Click Here to Email Plottluvr Find more posts by Plottluvr Add Plottluvr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee Currens Jr.
Banned

i scen a litter of all gr with green eyes,what would threw
that squirrell dogs

Old Post 01-13-2009 02:59 AM
Lee Currens Jr. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Currens Jr. Click here to Send Lee Currens Jr. a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Currens Jr. Add Lee Currens Jr. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Daniel,

Wolves are naturally born with light colored eyes, of course, eye color does not have anything to do with temperament, but it certainly did have an effect on breeding.

The "cold, heartless stare" of the wolf, made us "civilized" folks pretty nervous, and as we domesticated the wolf, and started breeding selectively when we were creating most of the breeds that originated from Europe, eye color was a breeding selection choice. We bred for darker colored eyes, that made us feel more "comfortable" with man's best friend.

Today, in domesticated breeds, the yellow eye color is linked to the "liver dilute" coat color gene. Have not ever seen your dog, but my guess is that it has a light tan head coloration to it.

Oak Ridge Coon Hounds

Old Post 01-13-2009 03:26 AM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gordy Sebert
UKC Forum Member

when i was a kid my uncle had a mouse colored walker dog that was a pretty well bred dog that had 2 yellow eyes. was a nice coon dog but the meaniest thing with hide streched over it that i had ever seen back then. bit me 3 different spots while i was walking by him one day, my uncle said he never had known hin to be mean but he said he had a crazy acting streak in him once in a while. i believed him after that.

Old Post 01-13-2009 03:42 AM
Gordy Sebert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gordy Sebert Click here to Send Gordy Sebert a Private Message Click Here to Email Gordy Sebert Find more posts by Gordy Sebert Add Gordy Sebert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Plottluvr
UKC Forum Member

Yellow eyes can be in brindle dogs too. I had a APBT that was brindle and he had yellow eyes. 'PR' Genuine's Kharouf IBN TPC aka Junior.

He had a black mask so they really stuck out.

Old Post 01-13-2009 05:59 AM
Plottluvr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Plottluvr Click here to Send Plottluvr a Private Message Click Here to Email Plottluvr Find more posts by Plottluvr Add Plottluvr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BIGCASTLEDAWGS
UKC Forum Member

Old Yeller...

..eyes....

Add yellow eyes to a BnT. Make the BnT 29-30 inches at the withers with a ridge on his neck... make him long legged and skinny... Live an hour from Boston and Providence... where coonhounds do Not exist.... Great Watchdog! .....

As for personality/temperment... this one is brain damaged form dehydration... so we assume his weirdness has Nothing to do with eye color...siblings and ancestors normal and Brown eyed as well... but for a rare other yellow eye....
We love it for this pet... I wouldn't hesitate to own one with yellow eyes if it hunted well and we hunted hard. We wouldn't breed it.... If I were a breeder I would breed for a dark brown eye. I prefer that look. That said I love this dog and think he is beautiful but wolflike....
Oh, as weird as this dog is and physically "dumb"... he is super intelligent. Just love these posts since we don't get to "show off" his yellow eyes often in this coondog world
Enjoy your hounds no matter the eye color!
Happy Hunting Heather

Old Post 01-13-2009 02:13 PM
BIGCASTLEDAWGS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BIGCASTLEDAWGS Click here to Send BIGCASTLEDAWGS a Private Message Find more posts by BIGCASTLEDAWGS Add BIGCASTLEDAWGS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
huntingnick
UKC Forum Member

I have a yellow eyed bluetick, I personally think he can see in the dark better than the other dogs.

Mketcher@aol.com

Old Post 01-13-2009 03:52 PM
huntingnick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for huntingnick Click here to Send huntingnick a Private Message Click Here to Email huntingnick Find more posts by huntingnick Add huntingnick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hopm
UKC Forum Member

I had a OMCB with yellow eyes and a pink nose. The guy I got him from said he had made the cross 5 times and one pup of each liter came that way. Unfortunately he got hit by a car and I never got to work with him. I have a mate to him that is 5 yr. old now and have decided I would like to raise some pups from him. Look forward to seeing if the yellow eyes show up.

Old Post 01-13-2009 04:04 PM
hopm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hopm Click here to Send hopm a Private Message Find more posts by hopm Add hopm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
perry co cooner
UKC Forum Member

I have a bluetick with yellow eyes and she is a crazy and backwards as the day is long. She's not mean in anyway and I don't know if she's crazy bc of her eye color. No one this plant except me would ever catch this dog or get her to come to them when she's loose. She also paces her kennel all day long, it's hard to keep weight on her bc of that.

Old Post 01-13-2009 04:06 PM
perry co cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for perry co cooner Click here to Send perry co cooner a Private Message Find more posts by perry co cooner Add perry co cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dwils
UKC Forum Member

thanks everyone

just something i have noticed,, like old timers sayin they liked a dog as far as it ran and treed but said they were set back beacsue it was a yellow eyed dog and acted kinda peculiar and didnt trust it. i never noticed anything wrong with ones i have hunted with,, old timers must be kinda superstitious bout things

Joe: he has a darker colored head, but when i come to think about it,,al the other yellow eyed dogs i have ever seen have had tan heads,

"LUCK FAVORS THE BOLD"

Old Post 01-13-2009 04:26 PM
Dwils is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dwils Click here to Send Dwils a Private Message Click Here to Email Dwils Find more posts by Dwils Add Dwils to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brian V
UKC Forum Member

My buddy had a plott with yellow eyes. Nothing the matter with her I just couldn't stand to look at her.

Old Post 01-13-2009 04:28 PM
Brian V is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brian V Click here to Send Brian V a Private Message Click Here to Email Brian V Find more posts by Brian V Add Brian V to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dwils
UKC Forum Member

when i come to think about it , my young dog(with yellow eyes) was quite crazy when i got him he was like jeckle n hyde, he would be nice until you put him in the box, when you opened it for nexxt drop he would act like he had no clue who you were or were he was, and would growl,,,,,,,long story short, she snapped at me and i fixed the prob right there.lol but so far has been the most natural born coon treeing dog i have ever owned and never had any prolems out of him since.. out of bojangles

"LUCK FAVORS THE BOLD"

Old Post 01-13-2009 04:37 PM
Dwils
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by topshot69
I did not notice your dogs eyes being yellow, but your hunting partner was yellow then green that night he came down to hunt. LOL Hope he got feeling better, he lost his dinner twice that night.

ha ha, yeah and was out huntin the next night, lol, i told him he got sick beacuse he dont eat healthy or nothin,, he says he healthy as you can get cuz he never gets sick! i told him you may look or feel it, but dont mean it!!

"LUCK FAVORS THE BOLD"

Old Post 01-13-2009 04:39 PM
roughcreek
UKC Forum Member

nothing turns me off more than a yellow eyed dog. cant stand to look at a yellow eyed b&t !!

Old Post 01-13-2009 05:48 PM
roughcreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roughcreek Click here to Send roughcreek a Private Message Find more posts by roughcreek Add roughcreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Plottluvr
Personally, I think yellow eyed dogs are kinda neat lookin' on the creepy side even.

yeah it does give them that creepy look

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
GRNITECH'PR'HIGH TECH MINI TESS

CH'PR'BUELL'S BLUE ROCKY

Old Post 01-13-2009 10:51 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote