UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Athletes
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Athletes

Many folks on here and other places will say they only have had 1 or 2 really good hunting dogs in their lifetime...some will say a dog is never a finished dog unless it is dead...because said dogs are always learning...

Below are my thoughts on this and also would like your thoughts as well...thanks

I believe that it is the same with people and dogs...in the work place we see that many are average folks and then we have those that are above average which will be less of them in that average...we see the young and new employees that you know will really be good at what they do one day and already are...just needing more exposure/experience...and we see the young ones that gravitate towards leadership roles and they volunteer to help in anyway they can and when they get their chance they step in and do a great job...these are even fewer of and these guys thrive because they are born with that desire and drive...and then we see a family of brothers and or sisters and all are business owners or all have leadership roles...probably genetic and products of their environment...

Football...sometimes we see it at a real young age...but most professional football players were scouted when playing in high school and again in college for the pro’s...and then they still need to make the team...once they make the team they play for a few years and peak out...and it is down hill from there...experience with exceptional talent will keep them in the game longer...

I see hunting dogs in exactly the same way...they peak out and most the time it is not that they don’t have it anymore...they get beat out by the same caliber of dog that at the top of his game which is good conditioning and the right age...

Great athletes can walk away for a duration and can come back quickly and be better than average...they practice and review film and take guidance from great coaching because they are competing against other teams of the same standards and potential...

With hunting dogs it is the same...
For me I want the same caliber of dogs as how the pro athletes are chosen...but I also know I don’t have to maintain that high discipline of training...I don’t have to feed this dog a ton of tracks to get a level of performance I am pleased with...
I also know what a good hunting dog is in my mind...and I want my dogs to meet that standard...hopefully these are more than 1 or 2 in my lifetime...these should be more the normal than not...

Last edited by Reuben on 04-18-2019 at 01:15 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-18-2019 12:03 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Hard to prove a dog is an athlete in a 1 hour hunt !!

Tar

Old Post 04-18-2019 12:11 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Not really Tar. My dog has no clue what time it is, other than he better get in the dark when cut. Nobody is telling him he has 10 minutes left. Good ones hunt. Lazy ones wait on the dog that's hunting. Time and length of hunt has no bearing on how well a dog performs. As is the case with athletes, that is determined by practice and preparation. Condition your "athlete" to the expectations they are to encounter and results are always better. My experience in the 1 hour hunts is the dog on the card that is ahead at end of hour one is almost always the same at end of hour two. What a one hour hunt does is bring the handler into play more. They can't sit back and play the conservative game as well and have to get on the card to stay in the game. I personally love the one hour limits, simply because of limited hunting ground, and old straight line Joe better tighten his program if he wants to win tonight.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 04-18-2019 12:32 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Not really Tar. My dog has no clue what time it is, other than he better get in the dark when cut. Nobody is telling him he has 10 minutes left. Good ones hunt. Lazy ones wait on the dog that's hunting. Time and length of hunt has no bearing on how well a dog performs. As is the case with athletes, that is determined by practice and preparation. Condition your "athlete" to the expectations they are to encounter and results are always better. My experience in the 1 hour hunts is the dog on the card that is ahead at end of hour one is almost always the same at end of hour two. What a one hour hunt does is bring the handler into play more. They can't sit back and play the conservative game as well and have to get on the card to stay in the game. I personally love the one hour limits, simply because of limited hunting ground, and old straight line Joe better tighten his program if he wants to win tonight.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 04-18-2019 12:32 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Rock I love the one hour hunts but they are not a true measure of an athlete. Especially with the rules we have in place hard to show your stuff when your stuck on the leash.

Tar

Old Post 04-18-2019 12:44 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Is the one hour hunt the only time you could be leash locked?

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 04-18-2019 01:46 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tar how about the ones scoring 400 or 500 points in an hour. Sure the coon have to cooperate. But the dog has th tree them. With no mistakes.

Old Post 04-18-2019 01:49 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
Is the one hour hunt the only time you could be leash locked?

Tim in thick coon country it’s not a big of a problem. But in thin coon country and these dogs being independent to a fault it’s a problem.

Tar

Old Post 04-18-2019 01:57 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Tim in thick coon country it’s not a big of a problem. But in thin coon country and these dogs being independent to a fault it’s a problem.

Tar

That’s not what I asked you.
JMO, the best dog will win the one hour hunt, dog makes one mistake an he is done.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Last edited by nitehunter2004 on 04-18-2019 at 02:04 PM

Old Post 04-18-2019 02:01 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
That’s not what I asked you.

No lol. Here is an exzample of a two hour one he got struck ( quickly lol ) I got struck for 75 deeper in in 15 minutes he went all the way through a 1 mile section across a road treed at 500 yards other dogs are out of pocket don’t hear them we pull of I hear mine treed I tree her by time we get to her hunts over he had a coon she had a coon she is 300 yards from the pickup. I get beat she didn’t get a chance to be an athlete. We should have treed 5 or 6 coons in those woods.

Jmo

Tar

Old Post 04-18-2019 02:11 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
No lol. Here is an exzample of a two hour one he got struck ( quickly lol ) I got struck for 75 deeper in in 15 minutes he went all the way through a 1 mile section across a road treed at 500 yards other dogs are out of pocket don’t hear them we pull of I hear mine treed I tree her by time we get to her hunts over he had a coon she had a coon she is 300 yards from the pickup. I get beat she didn’t get a chance to be an athlete. We should have treed 5 or 6 coons in those woods.

Jmo

Tar

So if you don’t win it’s not fair? What rule change would change the outcome of that example?

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Old Post 04-18-2019 02:25 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If Tarbaby doesn't win, then it has to be the rules or the time. It couldn't be his dog or his handling. Tarbaby, if you had more time, then that other dog would have just treed another coon and you would have walked within hearing of the dogs that were out of pocket and scored them.
Everyone has an excuse: there wasn't enough time; I was leashlocked; my dog got out of pocket; the other dog got struck on a babble; blah, blah, blah. Nobody just gets beat anymore. You never hear: my dog was too slow; my dog doesn't get struck quick enough; my dog outhunts his mouth.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 04-18-2019 at 02:37 PM

Old Post 04-18-2019 02:31 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Hunted a one hour hunt few weeks ago, we cut loose dog A struck for 100 dog B (my dog) struck fo 75 Dog C struck for 50, Dog A trees for 125 75 yards from us, we find his coon 225+, we walk a minute dog B is treed deep for 125 dog C still working, Handler of dog A cuts loose gets struck for 25 with a line, 5 minutes is up and he never treed dog A But she is there when cast arrives, Dog B has a coon, Dog A gets next available and is minus 75-.
Dog A 225+ 75-
Dog B 200+ Hunt is over I win, if dog A would had been leash locked or never cut loose he wins.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Old Post 04-18-2019 02:43 PM
yadkintar
Banned

You old fuddie duddies are like playing cards with my sisters kids ! You think that dog struck that coon and run it 1 1/2 miles in 15 minutes your all wet. I don’t think y’all hunt either.

Tar

Old Post 04-18-2019 02:46 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Osborne, why in the world did you give dog A next available and minus it if a coon was seen in Dog B's tree?
Tarbaby, do you make up your own rules when you play with your sister's kids so that you can win?

Old Post 04-18-2019 02:53 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
You old fuddie duddies are like playing cards with my sisters kids ! You think that dog struck that coon and run it 1 1/2 miles in 15 minutes your all wet. I don’t think y’all hunt either.

Tar

If your dog couldn’t tree a coon in 300 yards before a dog trees a coon at 1 1/2 miles she will never be an athlete under any rule changes.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Old Post 04-18-2019 02:55 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Mr Osborne, why in the world did you give dog A next available and minus it if a coon was seen in Dog B's tree?
Tarbaby, do you make up your own rules when you play with your sister's kids so that you can win?

Not really sure but it was kinda crappy.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Old Post 04-18-2019 02:59 PM
yadkintar
Banned

He covered 1 1/2 miles in 15 minutes !!!! We was in a death march to keep up !!!! Didn’t hear mine treed till we started back !!!! Had to score him first anyway!! But he was an athlete lol.

I think we got off topic.

Tar

Old Post 04-18-2019 03:06 PM
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Scoring mistake

No dog gets assigned tree points unless dog is there treeing when you arrive & the tree is slick or has off game in it. NEVER assign tree points if coon is seen or tree is circled. Still can't believe people don't understand that rule for as long as it has been around. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 04-18-2019 04:38 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

quote:
If your dog couldn’t tree a coon in 300 yards before a dog trees a coon at 1 1/2 miles she will never be an athlete under any rule changes.
MAN, that hurts!

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 04-19-2019 04:32 AM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by pigsit
MAN, that hurts!

That was way over 15 yrs ago it was just an exzample. Buuuuuut rock river gap destroyed that dog in the world hunt. Because he could keep cutting behind him.

Just sayen

Tar

Old Post 04-19-2019 12:13 PM
Midnightghost
UKC Forum Member

Well as far as Mr Osborne case if the guy that lost was a good handler he had the cast won. Should have elected to walk his dog sounded like the hunt would have been over after the scoring of Tim's tree. So the handler lost that cast.

Old Post 04-19-2019 12:30 PM
Midnightghost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Midnightghost Click here to Send Midnightghost a Private Message Click Here to Email Midnightghost Find more posts by Midnightghost Add Midnightghost to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

We had a blast, handler of dog A is one of if not my best friend, we hunt 3 nites a week together, I was not the judge.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Old Post 04-19-2019 12:49 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
We had a blast, handler of dog A is one of if not my best friend, we hunt 3 nites a week together, I was not the judge.
your friend owes you 1 for sure. Either ya nether 1 knew the rules or ya gave your friend the shaft.

Old Post 04-19-2019 02:28 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
your friend owes you 1 for sure. Either ya nether 1 knew the rules or ya gave your friend the shaft.

Easy now, We question it MOH said judge was right.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Old Post 04-19-2019 03:00 PM