UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Who remembers?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Who remembers?

When every hunt had a treeing contest and you decided to take your pup and when you cut him loose he fell on that treeing 110 barks a minute and you had to drag him off.

Sure bet a lot of big dreams started right at that moment.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-17-2020 02:12 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ricochet17
UKC Forum Member

Wasn't there a Treeing champion title back in the day?

Old Post 06-17-2020 02:23 AM
Ricochet17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ricochet17 Click here to Send Ricochet17 a Private Message Find more posts by Ricochet17 Add Ricochet17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

My earliest memory of anything to do with coondogs was driving past the Clarksville club on the way to the county dump with my dad. They were having a treeing contest and some water races and he stopped so I could watch. I couldn't have been more than 3-4.

Many a dog trader made a sale at those treeing contests.

Old Post 06-17-2020 03:31 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I always kept a high BPM treeing contest dog back in the day because they Always Calcutta near most all the treeing contest around hear.

Tar

Old Post 06-17-2020 12:25 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

I’m in my 20’s and I remember them, I even remember water races. In my family and group it’s always been “the time killers before the real hounds get hunted”

Old Post 06-17-2020 12:34 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JesseJ
UKC Forum Member

Treeing contest

I judged a lot more than I ever entered, it was a great time n never heard of any complaints or arguments! Even had team treeing contest. Of course there was always a dog get loose n enter themselves. LOL. A great time for all! JesseJ

Old Post 06-17-2020 02:30 PM
JesseJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JesseJ Click here to Send JesseJ a Private Message Click Here to Email JesseJ Find more posts by JesseJ Add JesseJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

I remember them well. They had nonsanctioned drag races around here too. I had a little short legged cur dog that always won line and she usually won line and tree.

Old Post 06-17-2020 03:25 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Treeing Contests, dash races, etc....

Nothing says that you can't still have them. Bring 'em back Tar!

Old Post 06-17-2020 04:04 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Local club here that just got started has both and has great participation.

Old Post 06-17-2020 04:11 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC
Treeing Contests, dash races, etc....

Nothing says that you can't still have them. Bring 'em back Tar!

The day events helped the kitchen and the youth I think I will lol.

Tar

Old Post 06-17-2020 04:25 PM
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
The day events helped the kitchen and the youth I think I will lol.

Tar

Exactly.

Old Post 06-17-2020 04:39 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Local club here that just got started has both and has great participation.

Nice. Give the participants what they want and everyone benefits. Takes more work and longer days on the part of the club members but that's the difference in the end. Club events used to be an all-day affair but too much of that has went by the wayside, especially, with clubs trying to operate with a lack of membership and help.

Old Post 06-17-2020 04:43 PM
JesseJ
UKC Forum Member

Sacking contest

Heard of coon sacking contest but never seen one? Older hunters had stories of contestants getting bit, I'm sure they did. JesseJ

Old Post 06-17-2020 05:47 PM
JesseJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JesseJ Click here to Send JesseJ a Private Message Click Here to Email JesseJ Find more posts by JesseJ Add JesseJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I watched a treeing contest on both Fri and Saturday at American Redbone Days this past weekend. Some of the dogs went as high as $85 in the Calcutta. One fellow (John Shelton) had a professional treeing contest dog. You have to attend the hunts if you want to see them.

Old Post 06-17-2020 05:54 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

How many ever saw the badger in a barrel contest? Badger was put in a small (35 gal) barrels and dog had to go in and get him out. Takes a gritty dog.

Last edited by Preacher Tom on 06-17-2020 at 06:40 PM

Old Post 06-17-2020 06:37 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JesseJ
UKC Forum Member

Treeing contest

So Richard did I the professional treeing contest dog win? JesseJ

Old Post 06-17-2020 06:38 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I just happen to have a 22 lb brisket I been saving for an occasion like this.

Tar

Old Post 06-17-2020 07:24 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
How many ever saw the badger in a barrel contest? Badger was put in a small (35 gal) barrels and dog had to go in and get him out. Takes a gritty dog.

Where can I find me a hound like that who also comes from a family of same type of hounds?

Old Post 06-17-2020 09:22 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

No the Pro didn't win. Somebody snuck a ringer in.
We don't have badgers in Tn. We had coon roll cage contests. We drew a big circle in the dirt and dog had to drag or knock the coon out of the circle. I had a big male that would slam the roll cage and knock it 20 ft.

Old Post 06-17-2020 09:33 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Best I remember because I was pretty young they had cut both ends out of those smaller metal barrels and welded it to another that had one end out. Dog had to crawl in and pull the badger out. Not sure who was brave enough to catch the badger.

Old Post 06-17-2020 09:44 PM
yadkintar
Banned

We built a fence about 6 foot round we had armadillo sacking for the wemon folk we caught about 10 they got to running around bumping into their legs it was the funniest thing you ever seen lol.

Tar

Old Post 06-17-2020 09:58 PM
JesseJ
UKC Forum Member

Tar

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I just happen to have a 22 lb brisket I been saving for an occasion like this.

Tar

what about all that catfish you caught n all the fixings? JesseJ

Old Post 06-17-2020 11:10 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Tar

quote:
Originally posted by JesseJ
what about all that catfish you caught n all the fixings? JesseJ

For you I will cook both.

Tar

Old Post 06-17-2020 11:37 PM
delta slough
UKC Forum Member

All of these events were popular at one time. The coon on the log event was a blast to watch. Some clubs had a coon in the hole event. They've all gone away now primarily due to the humane society and animal rights people not letting coon clubs use a real live coon; at least in Mississippi. Miss those events. Jr.Steelman

Old Post 06-18-2020 12:48 AM
delta slough is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta slough Find more posts by delta slough Add delta slough to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Treeing contest

quote:
Originally posted by JesseJ
So Richard did I the professional treeing contest dog win? JesseJ

No he didn't lol. Chey lost quite a bit from John convincing him to buy his professional dog 2 days in a row. Saturday I think he barked about 15 times lol!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-18-2020 01:34 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote