UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > When I was Young...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

When I was Young...

I wanted a horse and a German Shepherd and never got them...

Folks used to dump dogs out on our road because there wasn’t any traffic and no neighbors close by so it was easy to do...I was able to keep a few plus a few that were given to me...

Once I got the idea to hunt with dogs I very seldom hunted without them...

We caught lots of game...I learned where to hunt in the drought or when it flooded...

I learned by the sound of the bark what they were running...

A certain bark for rabbit...
The same bark for jack rabbit and deer...
Different bark for snapping turtle or snake...
A different bark for treed game...
Armadillo was a muffled bark in a hole...
They bayed snakes and killed them on command...I didn’t let them kill a poisonous snake over 3 ft. Long...
My dogs killed skunks on command...something I shouldn’t have done...for more than one reason...

Used body language and hand signals to stalk game...verbal commands or a hiss to get the dogs attention during a stalk...the idea was to sneak up on something that was close to the big rose hedges and then make a mad dash to catch it before it could make it to safety...

I always had a dog with speed that ran down rabbits...one that struck and a smaller dog that flushed game out of rose hedges or caught in the hedges...they all caught together on coon or feral cats etc...

I sometimes hunted twice a day if I wasn’t working in the fields and not in school...

I about always hunted by myself and it was some of the best times in my life...when someone came along I had to tone it down on how I hunted...when alone with my dogs I was a lot like my dogs...I yipped and I hollered and clapped my hands and just brought out the best from dogs...kind of like that sayin...dancing like nobody is looking...I hunted my dogs like nobody was looking when nobody was looking...the dogs hunted best that way...I could about sick them on anything and call them off just as quick... I kind of hate to say it but they would take a beating for me and not back up until the job was done...

I took puppies hunting that could barely keep up...

I think a kid can be a better dog man than a grown up if given the opportunity...

This is a story I always wanted to tell...

Last edited by Reuben on 06-17-2020 at 03:34 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-16-2020 03:42 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Thanks for sharing.
I witness nearly daily how dogs and even very young pups respond and how the grand children communicate with the dogs. There is nothing like the special relationship between a child and there dog.
Just yesterday a friend of ours brought down his 2 boys to pick out a young puppy for that they can mess with this summer and to start hunting this fall. The youngest is very bashful and never said a single word in the time he was here but yet picked out the puppy he wanted and the pup also choose him. I sat in amazement once more (I've seen this before) as this little boy who never said a word very calmly and gently patted his upper leg and a pup who had not been paying any attention stopped playing with the other dogs turned and ran across our yard and sat at the boys feet.
Your story reminds me alot of Chey's of a dog named Cruiser and Dalton's of growing up with Buck and Willy. He and those dogs hunted everything that moved to the point I told him if he shot it he had to eat it, which he did by frying up bags of random critters lol.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-16-2020 04:26 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rueben

This is the kind of post that brings joy into my heart, I could read this post over and over and have a big old smile on my face every time. I am smiling as I write this and will smile when I read it again tomorrow. It's 5:24 am and I just got home from night fishing for crappies and resting a bit before going to bed, no doubt I will think of your post as I go to sleep. I can just see you and your little pack of dogs having a blast without a care in the world. Oh to have those days back! Keep on posting my friend, your stories mean a lot to some of us and bring back some fond memories. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 06-17-2020 at 12:29 AM

Old Post 06-16-2020 10:31 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Never forget the first coon our dogs treed. Well it was summer and by time we got time showing it to everybody in town it had an Oder lol.

Tar

Old Post 06-16-2020 12:09 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I sat on the front porch of a city house and talked to a dog every night. I didn't know what was out in them woods to chase and the dog didn't either. But I told him I would find out one day. That dog taught me a lot and all he did was sit there and listen. Like most kids with a dog in the city. There came a time when that dog wanted to roam more than I could let him. He had to go and we gave him to a man that had a small farm about 20 miles away. We would visit about once a month and the old man would tell me about the coon that dog treed. Not sure I had ever seen a real coon back then. But I knew someday I wanted to be out there chasing them also.

Old Post 06-16-2020 01:09 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Mullins
UKC Forum Member

There is nothing like the relationship between a boy and his dog. My first dog was half beagle half black & tan. I couldn’t been happier if he was a registered world champion.

Old Post 06-16-2020 02:53 PM
Larry Mullins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Mullins Click here to Send Larry Mullins a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Mullins Find more posts by Larry Mullins Add Larry Mullins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Thanks everyone...weekend before last I went to visit my sister and our grand niece was there from across the street...we were happy to see a youngster around as most older folks do...we started talking and my brother-in-law and sister were saying that our 9 year old grand niece had a way with the dogs...we looked out the window and on the back porch Melinda was just sprawled out between two dogs and all three just looked as happy as could be without her saying a word...

An example on how the dogs worked a cottonmouth moccasin...

A dog located a snake and would bay it...the snake tries to slither away and the dog grabs it by the tail and gives it a quick yank and the snake coils up and the dog keeps baying until the other dogs show up as well as me showing up...
I then would jump in and out like I was timing the jump rope to jump in as best I can describe it...the dogs would do the same...the coiled snake would strike and recoil and the dogs jumped back and as the snake was coiling to strike again the dogs crowded the snake and I did the same...
Once the dogs had the timing down and the snake struck again and while extended the big dog would grab the snake at the mid section and would shake the snake pretty hard while he backed up...within a few seconds the snake was pretty much dead...the snake would have its guts slinging out of both ends...a dog of mine never got bit doing this...if the snake was bigger I would kill it myself...

When I first started hunting with the dogs I carried a hoe and later I had one with a broken blade and I made a spear out of It...with the hoe blade broke off I straightened the hook in the vice and sharpened it with a grinder...later I added a slingshot to my arsenal that my uncle gave me...he also showed me how to make them...I got a little older and started carrying an old Remington 22 auto...I liked shooting rabbits in front of the dogs...I did ok if the rabbit was running straight away from me or even quartering...the dogs caught way more than I could kill...

Old Post 06-17-2020 04:17 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rueben

Your posts have been enjoyable, they brought back so many memories of my own childhood, coon hunting with my day and my friends dad, hunting and fishing every chance I got. Those were the days, not a care in the world, just one good day after another. No health issues, no worrying about rioting and other problems facing the USA and the WORLD. Thank you for your post, it was refreshing. Dave

Old Post 06-18-2020 07:35 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

This sounds like the dogs I had as a kid. I had a half poodle and fiest a half Alaskan husky and border collie and a pure bred lab. They all would tree anything that would climb. They wouldn't run a deer to far they would be back in 20 minutes. But would burn a rabbit up as long as it stayed in the hard woods. When I went hunting I came back with something one time they caught a otter the first me and my dogs had ever seen. And they where possum treeing machines they even treed a few coons.

Old Post 06-19-2020 10:50 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote