UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Which tracking collar?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yotetrapper
UKC Forum Member

Which tracking collar?

Hello all. I'm not new to coon hunting, but I have never owned a tracking collar before.

I just bought a puppy and so over the next couple months would like to purchase a tracking collar. I'm not rich, so I'm not looking for the best money can buy. At the time I'll only be using it on one dog, and possibly adding a second dog in the future. Most of my hunting is done close to home, in areas I know which is why I've never used a collar before. But my last redbone went missing about a year and a half ago and was never found and I'm thinking if she had a collar on that wouldn't have happened.

Since I don't own a shock collar either, I would like to buy one that does both.

I'm looking at the Dogtra Pathfinder. Do you think that's a good choice for someone like me, or are their better options?

Thanks in advance.
Angela

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-09-2020 12:44 AM
yotetrapper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yotetrapper Click here to Send yotetrapper a Private Message Click Here to Email yotetrapper Find more posts by yotetrapper Add yotetrapper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

My preference would be the Gamin Alpha system. Mainly because I believe the Pathfinder runs in conjunction with a cell phone. Where I live and hunt is in a region with lots of mountains. Cell coverage is spotty in most of the areas I hunt.

If you have good cell coverage where you hunt the majority of the time the Dogtra perhaps is a better fit. From what I hear they are real easy to use. Don’t believe they have the range the Garmin system has from what I read and hear.

Old Post 06-09-2020 03:06 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

The Dogtra Pathfinder uses a cell phone, but does not require cell phone service. I've used one for a couple years. Private message me if you have any specific questions.

Old Post 06-09-2020 04:06 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

Dogtra

I think the dogtra would be perfect for you.I have the dogtra and also have the garmin 320 with dc50 collar.I have used the dogtra probably around 100 nites by now and have never lost signal once.No doubt the dogtra has much better range than the garmin but iam kind of comparing apples to oranges as the dogtra probably should be compared to the alpha.Also the dogtra is much cheaper.

Old Post 06-09-2020 05:36 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Depends on your phone. If you have moved into the modern error of a smart phone. Then the Dogtra would work. If not you could probably get into a used 320 and TT5 for about $400 - 450 range.

Old Post 06-09-2020 05:45 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I'm not sure if the claims that the Dogtra has less range than the Alpha are correct. I did a test with my Dogtra and found it was picking up over 2 miles- not hunting conditions... clear line of sight. Out coon hunting I've only lost signal once in over a year.... was over 1000 yards away and over a huge hill (foot of the mountains).

I'm pretty sure they use the exact same technology, collars look identical, and I would be shocked if the GPS wasn't using the same satellites. Alpha may have better range, but I'm not sure why it would. Maybe someone with better education on the matter could explain to me why one would have better range.

They are essentially the same machine... one uses an independent computer / operating system. The other uses the computer (phone) you already use as the operating system.

Old Post 06-09-2020 06:06 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

You location has a lot to do with range. It is not uncommon for a group from all over the US to merge together on a message board and have different results. I think the average of the two are close enough that range on either one is adequate. There are always range enhancing antennas that can be used, if range is not up to your standards.

Old Post 06-09-2020 06:39 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Btt

Old Post 06-12-2020 03:06 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GCH Viper
UKC Forum Member

Dogtra

I have two dogtra systems. I quit hunting a lot of years and when I started back I used the alpha and the dogtra both. The dogtra is so slick! So so easy to use. Maps are awesome and you don't have to buy a $100 map card to get them! I have never lost communication in the year I've had mine. If your in a place with spotty signal and your maps aren't preloaded you just zoom out in a place you have signal and it will load the whole area.
As for the alpha. Take note on this site how many threads you see on people having various problems with them. I'd say a lot could be user era, but it can't be all of it. The screen is small on the alpha an I hate how you have to zoom in and out with a button vs using the touch screen on your phone.
Makes it super glitchy in my opinion. I hunt with guys that have the alpha and there have been several times when dogs get deep and we're try to figure out how the drive around and they ask to see my phone!
I have toned my dog at 1.2 miles and got her in. The thing works amazing!
My one and only beef with the dogtra is they DONT have a WATCH that pairs with it like the garmin.
To sum it up the alpha operates like something for the 1990's comepared to using the dogtra on a good iPhone.
Last thing is I found the alpha fairly hard to operate compared to the dogtra.
This is one mans opinion but I definitely have used them both.
I wasn't as much a money thing for me. I just was really impressed with the dogtra.

Old Post 06-12-2020 09:53 PM
GCH Viper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GCH Viper Click here to Send GCH Viper a Private Message Find more posts by GCH Viper Add GCH Viper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yotetrapper
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Most everyone who commented on the dogtra spoke about the GPS capabilities. What about the shock collar feature? Does it work similar to how the old tri-tronics worked?

My other question is cell phone battery drainage. I saw on one review on Amazon or somewhere that it drained the battery really quick. Any problems with that for you folks?

Thanks again.

Angela

Old Post 06-12-2020 10:02 PM
yotetrapper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yotetrapper Click here to Send yotetrapper a Private Message Click Here to Email yotetrapper Find more posts by yotetrapper Add yotetrapper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GCH Viper
UKC Forum Member

Dogtra

I never owned a shocking device until I bought the dogtra.
I can tell you that mine works awesome though. You can set it to nick or constant 1-100 and you just hold the button. I have nicked my female at 500 plus and trust me she received it.
As for the battery that's gonna depend on your phone and how much your constantly useing all the features on the dogtra.
I have never had my phone die. I do however plug it in between drops while driving. I bought a little cheap external battery pack to have to plug into in the field but have never had to use it. Even on cast where we went out on a late round I've had no trouble.
I could see where extreme cold weather could make a difference but like I said I personally have never had an issue.

Old Post 06-12-2020 10:15 PM
GCH Viper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GCH Viper Click here to Send GCH Viper a Private Message Find more posts by GCH Viper Add GCH Viper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yotetrapper
Thanks for all the replies.

Most everyone who commented on the dogtra spoke about the GPS capabilities. What about the shock collar feature? Does it work similar to how the old tri-tronics worked?

My other question is cell phone battery drainage. I saw on one review on Amazon or somewhere that it drained the battery really quick. Any problems with that for you folks?

Thanks again.

Angela

The phone battery issue will depend on two things.... How good of a phone you use, and how often you are checking it with how many options you are using. In almost two years of using the Pathfinder I've never had any battery issues. I did buy a cheap call phone battery pack, but have never needed it.

Old Post 06-12-2020 10:55 PM
yotetrapper
UKC Forum Member

Well I bit the bullet last night and ordered the Pathfinder. My pup is still too little for it, but we have some other dogs we can test it out on first to get the hang of how it works. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Old Post 06-13-2020 09:22 PM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yotetrapper
Well I bit the bullet last night and ordered the Pathfinder. My pup is still too little for it, but we have some other dogs we can test it out on first to get the hang of how it works. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions on operating it.... But you will find it very intuitive.

Old Post 06-13-2020 11:53 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Some folks are liking the pathfinder better than the alpha...

Can someone tell me how long a dog has to be stopped to get the alarm to mark treed?

Also how long for the dog to be stopped to alarm on point?

So if I were to start using the pathfinder with my iPhone, can I have it be able to track from said iPhone and my iPad at the same time as well?

Thanks

Last edited by Reuben on 06-14-2020 at 02:49 AM

Old Post 06-14-2020 12:57 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
Some folks are liking the pathfinder better than the alpha...

Can someone tell me how long a dog has to be stopped to get the alarm to mark treed?

Also how long for the dog to be stopped to alarm on point?

So if I were to start using the pathfinder with my iPhone, can I have it be able to track from said iPhone and my iPad at the same time as well?

Thanks

1. I don't think the collars activate treed based on how long they are stopped.... It's activated when it's horizontal plane changes ( dog is looking up).

2. No idea about indications on point, not an application I've used.

3. No, you can't use it in two devices at once.... You can share your dog with another Dogtra user, so you can see each other's dogs... But only one paired receiver per phone, or tablet.

Old Post 06-14-2020 10:34 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Houndsound...thanks

One last question...would it be easy to switch back and forth from my phone to iPad?

Use phone on the Dogtra today and tomorrow switch to iPad...just wondering how versatile this unit is...

I have a Garmin alpha I like very well but I like easy so I might possibly try a Dogtra with one collar just to see if the Dogtra collar can hold up as well as the TT15 collars...

Old Post 06-14-2020 10:53 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Yes, very easy to switch. Remember the receiver simply connects to your phone / tablet with bluetooth. So it's as simple as it is to connect, a bluetooth speaker to your phone one day, then connect it to your tablet another day.

Old Post 06-14-2020 06:25 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

10-4...thanks

Old Post 06-14-2020 08:40 PM
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

I’m also considering upgrading to a pathfinder this fall , I was wanting to do some research and get other hunting options. I’ve yet to hear any negativity on the pathfinder! I would like to talk to someone that hunts steep hills and deep hollers and see how the pathfinder does ?

Old Post 06-14-2020 09:36 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Heikki
UKC Forum Member

I hunt in West Virginia, not gonna get much more hills & hollers than where I hunt & I have no complaints with the pathfinder. I like it way better than the alpha

NtCh Yeager’s Poison Ivy
PKC CH The Midnight Toker
2023 Spring SS Freshman Champion

Old Post 06-14-2020 09:50 PM
Heikki is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Heikki Click here to Send Heikki a Private Message Click Here to Email Heikki Find more posts by Heikki Add Heikki to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Btt

Old Post 06-18-2020 02:58 PM