UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Question I think I already know the answer....
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

I hunted a female 1/2 sister to the one I am hunting now she belonged to a freind I done a lot of winning in $$$ hunts with her. She was mean I everytime I heard her make a bad bark I gave her a nuclear meltdown took me 60 days to break her all I did was make her be alone all the time. As long as I was hunting her or till this day if I am in the woods she is an angel Sombody else hunts her not so much. The one I have will stay but if you go to a tree and she I back off of it there is a problem her grandpa was the same way and he treed so hard he would be foamed up when you got there. When I figure out there is a problem I delete it.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-02-2019 03:50 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I know people that tried to teach their dog to sit and it didn't work.
exactly

Old Post 01-02-2019 05:52 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

I have a question for the Wild Willy fans. I’m sure the guy has a great method and can break most from fighting but I’m just curious what the do when they draw out with a rough dog after they have been broke? Do they back up or leave? Just curious. To me if they leave after I tree them in they are useless because there is gonna come a time they have to fight to stay and I want to handle mine with his toe nails dug in come hell or high water.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 01-03-2019 03:24 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

According to Willy if your dog doesn't fight and he's been run off the tree by other dogs, he can get him to stay and not fight. Funny question from a guy with a dog named Fang Slinging Demon

Old Post 01-03-2019 03:47 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

Mine is as far from “Rough” as you can get but if he is going to be bellied up when you get there no matter what. Rough dogs alligator comes out of the swamp or the devil him self comes from the ground you’ll put a lead snap on him when he gets treed. I won’t have one starting anything but I’m less likely to have one that will leave.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 01-03-2019 04:02 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2
Mine is as far from “Rough” as you can get but if he is going to be bellied up when you get there no matter what.....

Oh my goodness, I know what to expect when I hear that. I don't think that I have ever heard anyone say, "my dog is rough". Does " no matter what" mean "if a dog accidently bumps into him"?

Old Post 01-03-2019 03:39 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

A dog that stay no matter what will take a scratch now and then. Most understand that.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 01-03-2019 03:49 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
A dog that stay no matter what will take a scratch now and then. Most understand that.

Do they? Or do they fuss, argue and pitch a fit if you try to scratch them. How many times have you heard, " my dog never starts anything".

Old Post 01-03-2019 03:56 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Play by plays !!

Ole fang slanger treed for 100.

Meat grinder treed for 75.

Ole fang slanger leaves minused 100.

Alan says you hear it you don't have to see it but do they follow the instructions ......... No let um rumble !!

Tar

Old Post 01-03-2019 03:57 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

They just jockeying for position

Old Post 01-03-2019 07:20 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

The difference between a rough dog and a tough dog is who starts it and who is there to be handled in the end. One that’s good at it will never be caught fighting and you’ll never hear it happen all the other handlers will be left scratching there heads and taking tree minus. My dog just looks at a tree like I do a dinner table. Don’t show up late for dinner and mind your manners while your there. If you can’t do that you can’t stay and eat.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 01-03-2019 08:33 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
....My dog just looks at a tree like I do a dinner table. Don’t show up late for dinner and mind your manners while your there. If you can’t do that you can’t stay and eat.

Did your mother teach you that or is it hereditary?

Old Post 01-03-2019 09:59 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I like a little wine , soft candlight , and a little Barry white music at my dinner table lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-03-2019 10:06 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

When I was growing up, I had 2 brothers and you had to fight for what you got. But now that I am more mature, I just eat what I am given.

Old Post 01-03-2019 11:58 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Times have changed Richard. Maybe look at it like this back when we were young not saying we were not competitive but the only real money we made was maybe sell a puppy or a grown dog but most was made from hides. We only had ukc no $$$ hunts and we were tickled with a trophy and wasn't usually a big investment to go. We had about 4 big hunts a year down here and we worked hard on our dogs between them. So here goes the rest of the story. These young folks are in a big hunt for big money a lot and it cost the crap out of them to go and I can see their point you know before you go you are going to draw Ill dogs before you go sooner or later you pay a $250 entry drive 16hrs if you don't have one that will stay you are out all that expense. Do I think they should stand there and let them rumble no !! Defiantly not !! But it's kinda like the babbling thing 3 of them leave babbling every drop how you going to minus them your out voted.

Jmo
Tar

Old Post 01-04-2019 12:34 AM
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

That’s all it boils down to Tar. You know better than I do that you can’t win while taking tree minus and that not everyone is packing a perfect little Angel. Sooner or later most of the time it’s sooner your dog is either gonna have to fight or leave because the backing up doesn’t work all the time. When I tree a dog In I want to know without a shadow of a doubt that it’s gonna be there. We have like 5 or 6 pro hunts/Pro Classics coming up in the next few months and if I’m gonna spend a couple thousand of my hard earned dollars to go I want to be confident I can win and I don’t want to be worried when I draw certain dogs.
As far as the manners go I don’t know that they were hereditary but my mom is a lot like a rough coon dog. When I was out of line she struck quick and painfully and didn’t make a huge seem to alert everyone else. A few blows from that extra thick handled wooden Ladel and I learned my manners lol.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 01-04-2019 01:00 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Dalton I kinda got off topic but wanted to let you know I understand.

Tar

Old Post 01-04-2019 01:03 AM
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

Speaking of being off topic.... No one ever answered my question on what happens after they are broke from fighting. I wasn’t being a smart butt I was honestly curious as to if they left or backed up or wht they did when things got rough. I’ve tried to break one dog from being rough and all I succeeded in doing was light breaking him. I tried the extremely rough female shocking and a big stick but at the end of the day he loved to fight. I sold him to a pleasure hunter.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 01-04-2019 01:10 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

As much as we like to think we are all good trainers, there are some folks who know a few tricks we don't. There are trainers that can teach two killer whales to jump through hoops simultaneously. Willy claims he can teach your dog to not fight and not leave. Give him a call.

Old Post 01-04-2019 01:30 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Speaking of being off topic.... No one ever answered my question on what happens after they are broke from fighting. I wasn’t being a smart butt I was honestly curious as to if they left or backed up or wht they did when things got rough. I’ve tried to break one dog from being rough and all I succeeded in doing was light breaking him. I tried the extremely rough female shocking and a big stick but at the end of the day he loved to fight. I sold him to a pleasure hunter.

It all revolves around positive reinforcement. The dogs that I have seen him work on for fighting back up at the tree. He will tell you that he can not fix a truly genetic aggressive dog. The premise behind it is that almost all the problems are created by something we did or allowed and never realized it. He is fixing those problems.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 01-04-2019 02:36 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

I wish he'd require a dog be spayed or neutered before he trains ill dogs not to fight. In the past ill dogs that weren't culled would wind up with pleasure hunters or hide hunters to be hunted alone and weren't considered breeding stock as rough dogs usually had a reputation..

Old Post 01-04-2019 02:38 AM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
It all revolves around positive reinforcement. The dogs that I have seen him work on for fighting back up at the tree. He will tell you that he can not fix a truly genetic aggressive dog. The premise behind it is that almost all the problems are created by something we did or allowed and never realized it. He is fixing those problems.

See the dog I had was rough from the time I started him. Line Bred Bellars stock. Treed with his butt to the tree begging dogs to come to him. Bad thing was he had all of the potential to be a BIG TIME winner. Probably had more tools in one dog than anything we’ve got. He was just born mean though.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 01-04-2019 03:00 AM
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shane_atchison
I wish he'd require a dog be spayed or neutered before he trains ill dogs not to fight. In the past ill dogs that weren't culled would wind up with pleasure hunters or hide hunters to be hunted alone and weren't considered breeding stock as rough dogs usually had a reputation..

This dog is not I’ll genetically. . It’s 2 years old and just started. Every hound he has rehabilitated would have never fought at a tree because he raised them. Now I will tell you I stopped hunting males because almost every real coon treeing male I’ve had has been in my book over the edge. Why? I like a loner with a big moter which means they are the ALPHA dog. They Alpha dog is desighned to hunt and eat alone. I’m not saying there all that way but there suppose to be by nature. In all reality the FOOD is right over there head. I will promise you if you got the best 10 males in the country and turned them loose in a big pen together it wouldn’t be long you would have some dog fights. Turn them loose to hunt together there fine because they’ve been desensitized to hunting together. My point is some dogs Willy rehabilitates are not mean at all until they get around a tree or food that’s not a genetically mean dog.

Old Post 01-04-2019 04:53 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Had way more trouble with females being aggressive than males. Now on anouther note back in the day after a male did his fair share of winning they were retired to stud. They keep hunting them now. Everybody knows how your disposition changes when a young man finds out about girls lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-04-2019 01:41 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
this fellow has a good question but no answer yet? Anyone?

Old Post 01-05-2019 03:02 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote