UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Land required for coon hunting?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

Land required for coon hunting?

I’m just curious how much land you guys think you need to coon hunt. Assume it’s mostly timber, and you don’t have permission from the neighbors. Would thirty acres be enough? Fifty? 100? And can you coon hunt on land that is fenced off?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-21-2018 02:23 PM
Peterhunts101 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Peterhunts101 Click here to Send Peterhunts101 a Private Message Find more posts by Peterhunts101 Add Peterhunts101 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

If I don't have 500 plus here I won't cut my dog loose. We don't have a really good population of coons. What I like to do is get as many adjacent properties as I can. Hopefully those properties are big farms.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-21-2018 02:36 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

I cut loose in 10 acre patches without second thought. Around here the average woods is maybe 30 acres.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 12-21-2018 03:34 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

Novicane You like to play it real safe huh? Jim how fast can your dogs clear those ten acre patches though? Are they fenced, like what happens once they get close to someone else’s property?

Old Post 12-21-2018 03:37 PM
Peterhunts101 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Peterhunts101 Click here to Send Peterhunts101 a Private Message Find more posts by Peterhunts101 Add Peterhunts101 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RedSealKennels
UKC Forum Member

How much land you need depends on your coon population and how deep your dog hunts. The dog is going to go were it goes regardless of if you have permission for that property. Your best bet is to get permission from everyone in the area that you hunt. I always just go to every house there is on a road and all the roads surrounding it to ask for permission. They might not all give it but then at least they know someone runs dogs in the area.

Old Post 12-21-2018 03:43 PM
RedSealKennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RedSealKennels Click here to Send RedSealKennels a Private Message Click Here to Email RedSealKennels Find more posts by RedSealKennels Add RedSealKennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by RedSealKennels
How much land you need depends on your coon population and how deep your dog hunts. The dog is going to go were it goes regardless of if you have permission for that property. Your best bet is to get permission from everyone in the area that you hunt. I always just go to every house there is on a road and all the roads surrounding it to ask for permission. They might not all give it but then at least they know someone runs dogs in the area.

So then is buying land not smart for coon hunting because neighbors might not give permission and you’ve sunk all that money into the land? Is it bad to shock a dog if he gets too far away?

Old Post 12-21-2018 03:46 PM
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

Land is an investment no matter how you look at it. You can tone a dog to get it to stop, you can holler, blow the horn, a whistle or shock. That’s why obideance training comes in. Whatever you prefer. I often hunt bigger tracts but will and have turned out on 6-30 acre tracts knowing good and well it’s highly unlikely they stay on the peice I’m hunting. Doesn’t bother me as long as it’s open land I let them do what they want.

Old Post 12-21-2018 04:57 PM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by blacksc1
Land is an investment no matter how you look at it. You can tone a dog to get it to stop, you can holler, blow the horn, a whistle or shock. That’s why obideance training comes in. Whatever you prefer. I often hunt bigger tracts but will and have turned out on 6-30 acre tracts knowing good and well it’s highly unlikely they stay on the peice I’m hunting. Doesn’t bother me as long as it’s open land I let them do what they want.

If you didn’t want your dogs going on to other people’s land, how much land minimum would you want to have before you let your dogs run?

Old Post 12-21-2018 05:26 PM
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

I have turned loose on 3000 acres and I have turned loose on 100 acres......it seems almost a given if there is one house in the area the dogs will tree within sight of it half the time.

I will no longer hunt multiple dogs as they seem to go further faster with a buddy to compete against. If you really enjoy coonhunting you can turn loose about wherever you have permission and just face the music when your dog inevitably gets where it doesn't belong. To me its more nerve racking every year, or maybe I am just more sensitive.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 12-21-2018 05:43 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

I typically try to get permission from the one landowner that will most likely let me hunt. Then I will approach the surrounding landowners and let them know that I will be hunting there neighbors place, some will let me go ahead and hunt there places too, some will not. The ones that do not want me hunting I ask them if my dog gets on there property is it alright to go ahead and retrieve it or do they want me to come to there residence in the middle of the night to retrieve my dog.... 99% of the time they will tell me to go ahead and get my dog. I also never park at someone’s house or anything like that, the least amount of interaction you have with a landowner the better... so to sum it up if I have a 20 acre patch that will give me access to hundreds of acres. And I never ask for permission until deer season is over usually.

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 12-21-2018 05:52 PM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Peterhunts101
Novicane You like to play it real safe huh? Jim how fast can your dogs clear those ten acre patches though? Are they fenced, like what happens once they get close to someone else’s property?

Well, I'd rather play it safe and be trouble free. The almighty whitetail has ruined about every other form of hunting known to man. And like stated earlier, ask as many neighbors as possible. It can save you and your dog from being shot or shot at.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-21-2018 07:19 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Bourne
UKC Forum Member

Non issue

When the farmer pulls up which is rare, he knows who I am, if a neighbor to the landowner stops, I politely tell them who I am and they do not own it. If I have a dog with no reverse, get to my dog as fast as I can if they get out of pocket, get out asap, works good for me, if I stop and got permission to retrieve, it usually gets me chewed out, no people contact, works for me . Always stay away from houses, never leave ruts!
6 acres for me, coon are really.thick here.

Old Post 12-21-2018 07:20 PM
Jason Bourne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Bourne Click here to Send Jason Bourne a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Bourne Find more posts by Jason Bourne Add Jason Bourne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lipperman22
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
I cut loose in 10 acre patches without second thought. Around here the average woods is maybe 30 acres.
same

Old Post 12-21-2018 07:46 PM
Lipperman22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lipperman22 Click here to Send Lipperman22 a Private Message Click Here to Email Lipperman22 Find more posts by Lipperman22 Add Lipperman22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

My biggest fear would be letting my dog run on not that much property without permission from the neighbors, and the dog gets on their property and the neighbors either don’t let me retrieve the dog, or hurt the dog. Maybe Jason musky or Ron you guys can tell me does that happen? Is it a valid fear?

Old Post 12-21-2018 07:56 PM
Jason Bourne
UKC Forum Member

Hate confontation

I have NEVER asked to retrieve, anymore,I go get the dog, lights out, you better be in shape! It is the WORST part of coon hunting, the last dog; I bought you can call in, new ones tone in, but back in the day no tracker, no shocker, no reverse it was rough. Non issue now that you can tone in.

Last edited by Jason Bourne on 12-21-2018 at 08:37 PM

Old Post 12-21-2018 08:34 PM
Jason Bourne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Bourne Click here to Send Jason Bourne a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Bourne Find more posts by Jason Bourne Add Jason Bourne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I give mine the whole world!! I Own everything around here after dark!!

Old Post 12-21-2018 08:38 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

Re: Hate confontation

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Bourne
I have NEVER asked to retrieve, anymore,I go get the dog, lights out, you better be in shape! It is the WORST part of coon hunting, the last dog; I bought you can call in, new ones tone in, but back in the day no tracker, no shocker, no reverse it was rough. Non issue now that you can tone in.

If there’s no trespassing signs doesn’t that become illegal? What does tone in mean?

Old Post 12-21-2018 09:02 PM
Jason Bourne
UKC Forum Member

Tone in

You train a dog from day one to come to you when you hit the tone button on the trainer.
I have never been arrested, but a misdeamner tresspassing I can afford, getting my dog back asap is priceless !! The quicker you get the dog the better, don't mess around.

Last edited by Jason Bourne on 12-21-2018 at 09:25 PM

Old Post 12-21-2018 09:21 PM
dbender
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss
I give mine the whole world!! I Own everything around here after dark!!

This kind of attitude is the reason dog hunting in general is looked down on by so many!!!!!!

Old Post 12-21-2018 09:50 PM
dbender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbender Click here to Send dbender a Private Message Click Here to Email dbender Find more posts by dbender Add dbender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

This is me personally so don’t get your panties in a wad. Train yours to suit you I’ll train mine to suit me!!
10 acres is enough for mine to empty out. It’s nothing to get him 2 miles from where he was cut. When he trees I go get him. When I tone him he’s trained to pick up the speed not come. When I hollor x dead! He comes. He knows he’s got a name and his name is x, not tone!! X is like my family so no matter where he goes I’m gonna go get him or call him to me. I’m not gonna leave him for doing his job. Call the game wardens, call the cops, I apologize for any inconvenience to the land owners and law enforcement But I’m going to go get my dog. I don’t hunt around houses but a lot of times I might end up next to one. If they are awake I’ll politley ask to go get him. Around here most do not care this time of year. Around deer season yeah it sucks. But regardless I’m going to get my dog. Frown upon, call me names I don’t care I’m going to go get my dog.
If you feel like you have a dog that doesn’t need to go that far!! Come on down I’d love to see them

Old Post 12-21-2018 10:29 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Great posts

Some good posts here because one of the posters is a retired game warden

Old Post 12-21-2018 10:36 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Great posts

wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Great posts

Peterhunts101
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tone in

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Bourne
You train a dog from day one to come to you when you hit the tone button on the trainer.
I have never been arrested, but a misdeamner tresspassing I can afford, getting my dog back asap is priceless !! The quicker you get the dog the better, don't mess around.

So is the tone button like a warning before you shock the dog? But you make the dog associate it with coming back? Sounds like a cool useful tool

Old Post 12-21-2018 10:41 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I have taught my dogs the tone and love it but I also have the attitude that after dark the whole world is mine thing going on. Until I have trouble then it's not always safe or fun.lol just like most I have been cursed at chased and shot at.

Old Post 12-22-2018 03:09 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote