UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Which is more important?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Bassett vs Greyhound.. like compareing lemons to oranges.... Hmmmmm.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-17-2018 01:01 AM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
Never seen a poodle with a NtCh degree.
😂 ,me neither! Seen some of them titled culls for sale for mucho $denaro$ though. Hunted with one not long ago. I'd just as soon have a 🐩, 😂.

Old Post 12-17-2018 01:55 AM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Well, I've trained a few that made me think I was a great trainer. And I've tried to train some that brought me back to reality. I would say it's more about the dog.

Old Post 12-17-2018 02:21 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Can you teach a hound how to run a track?

Can you teach a hound how to locate the right tree and have the game?

Can you teach a hound to stay at his/her tree regardless of the distractions going on around it?

Can you teach a hound how to hunt for it's game in terms of search or desire to find its game?

75-80% of what makes a top hound, regardless of the game it pursues, occurs a nano-second after the male dogs sperm penetrates the females egg in the breeding pen.

The remaining 20-25% of what makes a really good hound can be credited to the handler/ trainer. I may be giving a little to much credit to the handler/trainer.

Old Post 12-17-2018 02:58 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

It was a great hound that trained me all about what the difference is between an average dog and a good dog! He knew more about Coons than I did! But I was a fast learner!

Old Post 12-17-2018 03:55 AM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I’m pretty well known to pack a winner and known to be a pretty decent dog man. And I’m here to tell you some just don’t have it regardless who has the dog. Some of these may run and tree a coon but they just don’t have IT!!
Now if you give a guy a dog that never has done anything with a dog and you take the shocker away. A good bred pup will start its self if they hunt it.
But give the same pup to a dog man and he can make it phenomenal. Cause it’s the little things a lot of guys never will understand that make and break a young dog!!

Old Post 12-17-2018 04:52 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss
I’m pretty well known to pack a winner and known to be a pretty decent dog man. And I’m here to tell you some just don’t have it regardless who has the dog. Some of these may run and tree a coon but they just don’t have IT!!
Now if you give a guy a dog that never has done anything with a dog and you take the shocker away. A good bred pup will start its self if they hunt it.
But give the same pup to a dog man and he can make it phenomenal. Cause it’s the little things a lot of guys never will understand that make and break a young dog!!

Amen to that...

Old Post 12-17-2018 07:46 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I have asked this question on here for about 20 years.
Does the Dog make the Man or does the Man make the Dog

Did Houses Chief make Joe House or did Joe House make Houses Chief. Did the Original Hickory Nut Harry from the 60's make Tim Ball or did Tim Ball make Hickory Nut Harry.

Takes a combination of things. A man determine to be successful and then having the understanding of finding the dog to be successful with. Unfortunately most of these dogs turn out to be Walkers and has caused a lot of people to dislike them.

Problem with coonhunting is many Men are not happy with an average amount of success. They then become jealous of those that have more. That is when it gets ugly. Many breeds have suffered because of this. Many a night hunt has went from fun to aggravation because of this. They are just dogs and we are the Men who are suppose to have the Brains, Heart and Compassion to sort all this out and forge ahead. Good Luck with that!

Old Post 12-17-2018 12:39 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Without a good trainer, the best bred pup won't succeed..

Without a good bred pup the best trainer won't succeed.

that says it all

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 12-17-2018 12:44 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

If you're willing to learn a really good hound can teach you a lot!😉

Old Post 12-18-2018 01:55 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I have asked this question on here for about 20 years.
Does the Dog make the Man or does the Man make the Dog

Did Houses Chief make Joe House or did Joe House make Houses Chief. Did the Original Hickory Nut Harry from the 60's make Tim Ball or did Tim Ball make Hickory Nut Harry.

Takes a combination of things. A man determine to be successful and then having the understanding of finding the dog to be successful with. Unfortunately most of these dogs turn out to be Walkers and has caused a lot of people to dislike them.

Problem with coonhunting is many Men are not happy with an average amount of success. They then become jealous of those that have more. That is when it gets ugly. Many breeds have suffered because of this. Many a night hunt has went from fun to aggravation because of this. They are just dogs and we are the Men who are suppose to have the Brains, Heart and Compassion to sort all this out and forge ahead. Good Luck with that!

I think you have the words "make" and "promote" confused.

Old Post 12-18-2018 12:59 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Re: Which is more important?

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
Is the breed of coonhound or the trainer/handler more important?

When I was 25 my answer to this question would have been that environment was more important than DNA, but after raising hundreds of hounds and four kids my answer with everything being equal, is that heredity is more important.
And it isn't even a close contest, but the highest talented dog will never achieve its potential with the average dog man. The higher the IQ of a dog, the less the trainer/handler can mess up.

Old Post 12-19-2018 04:59 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Kler Kry...

I will have to say environment is very important starting at gestation and socializing the pup as best as possible...and a potentially great pup can be ruined by an in-experienced trainer...

I agree with most of what you are saying but in my opinion to get the very best out of a dog we cannot do the wrong things...but we don't need to put much effort in the right things because the right dog will either learn them quickly on it's own or it was born knowing instinctively on what to do in certain conditions...

Old Post 12-19-2018 09:56 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

great genetics

Coupled with as good of handler as possible but genes is more important in my opinion seen it to many times.real genetic dogs will do what you can't teach the other

Old Post 12-19-2018 05:21 PM
treedog69 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog69 Click here to Send treedog69 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog69 Add treedog69 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Burns
UKC Forum Member

Which is more important, dog breed or trainer/handler?

I have raised and hunted two dogs in my life that would make any man happy. One was a Redbone and one was a Bluetick. Both were naturals. I did nothing special with either dog and make no claim to be a great dog handler or trainer. It was the dogs that had the right stuff and they had it from birth. They just naturally had what it took to run the track in the right direction, tree the game and bark treed until I got there. I have also had many that didn't do so well. Some trailed in the wrong direction, couldn't follow a track until the game treed, left the tree, etc. Some of their shortcomings may have been because they had a poor trainer/handler (me) but I tend to think that most of it was that they just didn't have the genetic make-up to be top tree hounds. Personally, I think that the best trainer that ever pulled on a boot couldn't turn a Poodle into a coon-dog.

Old Post 12-28-2018 07:30 PM
John Burns is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Burns Click here to Send John Burns a Private Message Click Here to Email John Burns Find more posts by John Burns Add John Burns to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. John Burns

You sir., hit the nail on the head! Honest a post as I have read. Dave

Old Post 12-28-2018 10:26 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

Good Post

There's that 🐩, 💩 up again.😂
Thank you sir, for cutting straight to the truth.

Old Post 12-29-2018 01:45 AM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Good Post

quote:
Originally posted by swamp1

Well...how many times will the truth have to be said before the non believers start believing?

Old Post 12-29-2018 11:13 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Good Post

quote:
Originally posted by swamp1

Well...how many times will the truth have to be said before the non believers start believing?

Old Post 12-29-2018 11:13 PM
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Good Post

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben

The truth makes people not like you. #1 thing I’ve learned in coon hunting!!

Old Post 12-30-2018 02:30 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skeets
UKC Forum Member

ive raised several sure nuff coon dogs and i can guarantee you it wasnt because i was such a good trainer,it was because they was bred to be coon dogs.way i figure it if breeding wasnt that important why not get a pomeranian and train it and when your ready to head home just put him in your pocket and head out.lol

Old Post 12-30-2018 01:01 PM
skeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeets Click here to Send skeets a Private Message Click Here to Email skeets Find more posts by skeets Add skeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Skeets, I think you're a better trainer that you give yourself credit for. You understand where the foundation comes from which is their genetics. Then you're smart enough to stay out of the dogs way and let the genetics work while being there to keep everything headed in the right direction. You probably also realize when the genetics are not there as you had hoped it to be and you know when to move on.

Old Post 12-30-2018 01:38 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

I have a litter right now, that i have allowed to run loose there whole life (5.5 months) on 90 acres of hardwoods, they are what i consider exceptional breeding They are driving me crazy treeing everything in the woods, at any given time the three, i have kept for my self will be treed together or split on the property somewhere. I do not expect to do anything but tweak these pups in a few areas as to how i want them to operate.
Was it the environment? The strict breeding plan? Both?

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 12-31-2018 04:28 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

80-20

I believe its 80% breeding 20% handler,and just hope handler doesn't screw up the 80%.

Old Post 12-31-2018 05:33 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote