UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > NITECH wins---what do you think?
What do you think of the current system for earning NITECH wins
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Current system is best 34 43.04%
It could be better 45 56.96%
Total: 79 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ryan Layton
UKC Forum Member

NITECH wins---what do you think?

My thoughts on it are if you can win a NITECH cast with plus points that oughta be worth something. I don't know how you can do anything about what happens on another cast, or how you can compete with dogs in a totally different situation. I'm not saying every NITECH cast win should be worth what a win that counts as one of the 5 now. Maybe it should be worth half of a win or something like that, and what would be a win now should still be worth the same. This would make things a little more consistent between areas with lots of hunters, and areas witho

Last edited by Ryan Layton on 08-21-2003 at 12:53 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-21-2003 12:51 AM
Ryan Layton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan Layton Click here to Send Ryan Layton a Private Message Click Here to Email Ryan Layton Find more posts by Ryan Layton Add Ryan Layton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bulkyker
UKC Forum Member

Sure would be a heart breaker to come in with 775+ and discover that you are tied for 1st then lose it on a coin toss. You did your best the dog did it's best and the combination of you and your dog's score prooves that you did as well that night as any other dog handler combo in the woods. You would really be strecting things to send dogs back out in the woods in states such as Virginia or West Virginia where there is no hunting allowed on Sundays .... so the coin toss would be the only real option, and to loose that would really kinda suck.

Old Post 08-21-2003 01:37 AM
bulkyker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bulkyker Click here to Send bulkyker a Private Message Visit bulkyker's homepage! Find more posts by bulkyker Add bulkyker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce Ordway
UKC Forum Member

>if you can win a NITECH cast with plus points that oughta be worth something<
This is one of the reasons I don't bother hunting a dog too much after it makes NT CH

Old Post 08-21-2003 01:41 AM
Bruce Ordway is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce Ordway Click here to Send Bruce Ordway a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce Ordway Visit Bruce Ordway's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce Ordway Add Bruce Ordway to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dealer
UKC Forum Member

Leave it the way it is. This is why they call it Grand, it takes a lot to do it. I don't own a GRNite nor have I ever, but I will own one, hopefully the one I am currently hunting. I think it should be hard to make a dog Grand. Otherwise everyone and their brother would have a Grand, and it would mean nothing!!!

Rock Creek Kennels

Old Post 08-21-2003 03:57 AM
Dealer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dealer Click here to Send Dealer a Private Message Click Here to Email Dealer Find more posts by Dealer Add Dealer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
papa
UKC Forum Member

nite ch.

i think a judge or moh should see the dog run an tree by himself before hes titled . there is to many me to nite ch dogs.

Old Post 08-21-2003 04:03 AM
papa is offline Click Here to See the Profile for papa Click here to Send papa a Private Message Find more posts by papa Add papa to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
poolecw
UKC Forum Member

let the nt ch cast winners hunt it out.

Old Post 08-21-2003 11:32 AM
poolecw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for poolecw Click here to Send poolecw a Private Message Click Here to Email poolecw Visit poolecw's homepage! Find more posts by poolecw Add poolecw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM

Anyone who has followed this board very long has heard plenty said about titled dogs that can't tree coons, cheap titles, and all that stuff. I would be dead set against anything that made it even slightly easier to finish a dog. I know a well known breeder in this area who had 4 wins on his female and won 7 straight casts without getting that final win. He had about the nicest comp female I'd seen in a long time. He won the 8th hunt and finished her to grand. The standards have been the same for a longtime now, any lessening of the standards would be a slap to every dog that has made it. If a dog can't meet the standard then the dog isn't good enough to wear the title. It's as simple as that. Most dogs can't get those titles won, if most dogs could the titles would truely be meaningless.

Old Post 08-21-2003 02:31 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan Layton
UKC Forum Member

You know I've talked about this a lot with people before, and I don't agree with the agrument about the tititle being too easy to come by and dogs that can't even tree a coon having them and all that. What I am saying is how are you gonna beat dogs on another cast. You can't do it, because you aren't competing with those dogs, they are in a completely different situation and against different dogs. I feel like the current system depends too much on guides, and is a better measure for luck and hauling dogs to a bunch of hunts rather than a meausre for coon dogs.

I hunt UKC over PKC, but this is one area that I feel PKC has UKC beat. They don't place as much emphasis on competition between casts, because PKC recognizes that it isn't a fair comparison. In my opinion it is a meaningless comparison.

In truth I really think they should make it where you have to have 10 or 15 NITECH cast wins with plus points no matter what NITECH place you earn. That wouldn't be making it easier. In some cases it would make it harder. It demands a higher level of consistency, but puts less emphasis on guide and luck.

Old Post 08-21-2003 04:13 PM
Ryan Layton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan Layton Click here to Send Ryan Layton a Private Message Click Here to Email Ryan Layton Find more posts by Ryan Layton Add Ryan Layton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Truly, I think that any time that we allow ourselves to believe that anything is "good enough the way that it is" we are settling for what we know to work.

Grand should be very tough to attain. And I believe that before the title is bestowed on a dog, the dog should have to strike, run, tree and stay treed all by itself! Or better yet, before it is titled as a night champion. Have a "certification" process where the dog is taken to the woods by a "certification" judge all by itself.....limit the number of dumps a dog gets to do this, and if they can not produce a coon in a tree....they don't get the title.

I for one understand the difference between casts. Just last night, I was guided on a cast that turned loose in a 200 acre corn field. While another cast turned loose in a river bottom. Guess which cast came back with the higher score? Does that make the other cast a "winner" and our cast losers? No, to me all things being equal, the dogs that scored on two coon out of the cornfield worked harder for their score than the river bottom cast...which is the measure of a Grand Champion?

The plus point cast winners should recast, and let the competition begin in earnest! Or give credit to each cast winner and change the number of "wins" necessary to achieve the title.

Last edited by Oak Ridge on 08-21-2003 at 05:35 PM

Old Post 08-21-2003 05:29 PM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Christy
UKC Forum Member

Location: Sylva, North Carolina (the far Western Tip of the State)

Nite Champion winners:

When the NTCH winners come back in, the +points winners should be recast and see who's who.

ALL the dogs in the registered portion of the hunts get something through 10th place.

I personally don't think that it's fair not to award the NTCH's anything for their hard work. Just because their NTCH, dosent mean that they did or didn't work just as hard as the registered dog for it's win, and it'll get some credit for it.

There's nothing that makes a NTCH cast winner madder than coming in knowing you got a good score, and then getting beat out of a win by a half a point. Because that's all it takes to knock you out of it.

I think that it should be revised in some way to make it more fair.

*GRCH NTCH'PR'RB'S Rock River Sid-R.I.P.

*CH'PR'Jet's Tember Shakin Sadie (UKC 2ND)

*Banjo

Independent Consultant for Jamberry Nails!! Check them out!!

Quincy-828-269-8768
OR Christy-828-269-4678---If we dont answer, please leave a message!!!

EVERYTHING happens for a reason.

Old Post 08-21-2003 05:58 PM
Christy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Christy Click here to Send Christy a Private Message Click Here to Email Christy Visit Christy's homepage! Find more posts by Christy Add Christy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coon dawg
UKC Forum Member

Oak Ridge.........

you said it, buddy..........I like both those options (I had a hound that I had in 37 nite champion casts...........he won his cast with plus points 30 times, 3 more with circled points..........had 4 wins toward Grand nite when I quit huntin' in the hunts..........and 2 of those were in RQE's...................went 5 hunts in a row where I had 225 on the only coon, and somebody comes in with 250 on 2 coons and beats me...........just bad luck I guess).

Old Post 08-21-2003 06:18 PM
coon dawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coon dawg Click here to Send coon dawg a Private Message Find more posts by coon dawg Add coon dawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BignBlue
UKC Forum Member

Leave It Alone

If this title becomes easier to get then everyone will have a grand nite. If anything I think it should be made a harder process than what it already is. After getting all of your wins the hound should be made to meet some criteria such as treeing coon all by itself or something that way. Look at the seal on your pedigrees that say "honor to whom honor is due", making it easier to be a grand nite will only cheapen that statement. And for all of you who are saying "How can I compete with another cast of hounds that I am not with".... Well how did you get the first place win to become a Nite champion? You beat every dog in every cast that night. A dog on its way to grand should be able to consistently post the numbers to do that five times, if not maybe its not meant to make it to a grand nite title. Here again I say leave it alone.

When the tailgate drops,... The excuses just get more frequent.

Old Post 08-22-2003 02:03 PM
BignBlue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BignBlue Click here to Send BignBlue a Private Message Click Here to Email BignBlue Find more posts by BignBlue Add BignBlue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan Layton
UKC Forum Member

I'd like to make one thing clear about this. I said different, and that doesn't always translate to easier. It is possible to have a system in which the degree of difficulty would still be just as high or higher, and still reward dogs for winning a cast with plus points. If you make a dog win 10 or 15 NITECH casts with plus points that could be just as hard or harder than winning 5 firsts (or others that count as NITECH wins now). It just depends on what kind of hunts you go to, what part of the country your in, and who you draw for a guide.

Also when you won that first in my opinion you didn't beat everyone on those other casts any way. Did they have a chance to compete against you head to head. If not then you didn't beat them. Just to illustrate this I'll make a baseball comparison. Say St. Louis beats the Cubs 4-1, and Atlanta beats San Diego 10-9 on the same day. It doesn't mean that the Braves are a better team, or that they did a better job than St. Louis. They just scored more points against their opponant. I also don't think that anyone would say that this means that the Braves beat the Cardinals that day.

Old Post 08-22-2003 03:34 PM
Shawn E. Ott
UKC Forum Member

David, I agree.

I took my female from nothing to Gr. Nt. I entered her in a lot of hunts, won a few, and lost a few. As a Nt. Ch. I had numerous cast wins with plus points, but another cast came in with a higher score. It took me 8 months to go from nothing to Gr. Nt. Oh well, that is part of the game. I do not have a hound that could win the world hunt, but she is consistant, and consistancy is what made her a Gr. Nt.; consistancy on her part and my part. Since finishing her out to Gr. Nt., I often wish she was not finished, or it would take more than 5 wins, as I enjoyed hunting her in competition, win or loose. For me, this is what it is all about, fun, having a good time, and I am sure MANY of you that have a Gr. Nt. wish you could still hunt your hound in competition.

In closing, I would just like to voice my opinioin... LEAVE IT ALONE !! or make it harder. The title of Gr. Nt. is not ment to be, or should be easy, and I have a lot of respect for anyone who is able to finish a hound to Gr. Nt., as I know it is not an easy task. One more thing, If a hound is able to attain this title, I feel that is proof he or she is a coon hound, and can tree their own coon. I have hunted in a lot of competition hunts, and feel, in my opinion, that it is near impossible for a hound to attain 5 Nt. Ch. cast wins with plus points, and not be able to tree their own coon. These are just my thoughts and opinions on this subject, and not ment to upset anyone.

Shawn.Ott@vaehinc.com

Gr.Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch. 'PR' Ott's Good Golly Miss Molly (Deceased August 12, 2014)

Gr.Nt.Ch. 'PR' Ott's Shenandoah Valley Kate(Deceased)
Gr.Nt.Ch.Ch. 'PR' Tree Slammin Mac (Deceased)

"A little less tree and a little more track"

Last edited by Shawn E. Ott on 08-22-2003 at 03:51 PM

Old Post 08-22-2003 03:46 PM
Shawn E. Ott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shawn E. Ott Click here to Send Shawn E. Ott a Private Message Click Here to Email Shawn E. Ott Find more posts by Shawn E. Ott Add Shawn E. Ott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BignBlue
UKC Forum Member

Braves vs. St Louis

"What I am saying is how are you gonna beat dogs on another cast. You can't do it, because you aren't competing with those dogs, they are in a completely different situation and against different dogs."

I might can see that statement being true for your baseball scenario, But what about when they are playing the same team? If the Braves beat the Mets and sweep the series, and then the Mets just pound the Dodgers for three games wouldn't it be fair to say that the Braves are probably gonna beat the Dodgers? Yes I think so. That is the consistency I mentioned. But with all that aside look at your statement. You said how can I beat the other casts. The measure of winning in the baseball world is quite different from that of the competition coonhunt. There are multiple game series, wildcard spots and playoffs. In a competition hunt there is one night for two hours to tree all the coons you can to come out on top. There is no division title to win that will forgive all of those losses all season long. You are correct in saying that no you didn't directly compete against another cast winner to defeat him, but you did out score him, and in a nite hunt the highest number of points wether there homeruns or basehits is gonna be the measure of your winning.

Old Post 08-22-2003 05:40 PM
BignBlue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BignBlue Click here to Send BignBlue a Private Message Click Here to Email BignBlue Find more posts by BignBlue Add BignBlue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Payne
UKC Forum Member

It could be better

I agree with Ryan on this one. Especially when it comes to the big hunts where there are 50 to 100 Nite Champions entered.

GrNiteCh 'PR' Dixie's Ragin' Black Magic (2005 Purina B&T Champion, 4th place overall)
GrNiteCh 'PR' Dixie's Deadly Black Viper (King of Hunt, 2009 Southeastern B&T Days)
NiteCh 'PR' Dixie's Ragin Black Jack (Viper x Magic)

Old Post 08-22-2003 05:41 PM
Jason Payne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Payne Click here to Send Jason Payne a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Payne Visit Jason Payne's homepage! Find more posts by Jason Payne Add Jason Payne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

I think they need to stop letting a guy hunt if he's the only Nt Ch their.I know of several dogs that have picked up several of their wins by being the only dog at the hunt.I also know this won't go over well with the majority of the people that read this.But if a Nt Ch doesn't have comp then he shouldn't get credit for a win !!!

Old Post 08-22-2003 06:46 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan Layton
UKC Forum Member

I don't know Hobo. Isn't that the situation where the dog has to go out there and prove that it can tree a coon all by it's self like everyone is saying so many titiled dogs can't do. Although that is the situation that makes me want to force a dog to have more cast wins as a NITECH.

Big'n Blue, the point for the baseball scenario was that the teams were going against different competition just like you are going against different competition in a night hunt. You aren't hunting against the same cast of hounds. Some casts might not even have the same amount of hounds. It's all in the luck of the draw--I think GRNITE is to important a title to leave so importance on luck.

We don't agree on this, but that is o.k. It is good to have people from both sides voice their opinion. It's the best way to make an informed decision. Although I doubt if UKC is interested in changing anything anyway. Just a fun topic to talk about.

As far as whether or not the Braves sweeping the Mets, and the Mets sweeping the Dodgers meaning that the Braves are gonna beat the Dodgers, I still say it most certainly doesn't. But don't get me started on baseball, I like talking about baseball almost as much as I like talking about coonhounds, and I have just as much to say lol.

Old Post 08-22-2003 07:43 PM
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

I know what your saying Ryan but what about the one nt ch that goes out alone and if the handler isn't the judge then they let his buddy judge,who knows what happens on these kind of cast I just think they shouldn't be allowed to hunt like that any longer. But hey I hunt Walkers so what do I know?????? ROFL ROFL ROFL

Old Post 08-22-2003 08:53 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BignBlue
UKC Forum Member

Civil Disagreement

Ryan, yes we do disagree on this one and that is probably a good thing. If everyone was the same, then things would become awfully boring. But you know as well as I do wether things change or stay the same we are both going to keep showing up and donating, its just that one of us is gonna bitch more depending on the scenario.

Old Post 08-22-2003 10:09 PM
Ryan Layton
UKC Forum Member

You hit that one on the head David, but I prefer to call it discussing---makes me feel more intelligent lol.

Old Post 08-23-2003 01:23 AM
Bruce Ordway
UKC Forum Member

>If this title becomes easier to get then everyone will have a grand nite.<
?? who said anything about making it easier?
Heck, why not make it even harder?

How about a GRNT degree taking 25 or 30 cast wins instead of the 5 wins it takes now?

For that matter I don't like the requirement of getting a 1st to make NTCH either. Here too, we could boost it up to 10 or 15 cast wins.

Why can't we just drop the lucky 1st's?
What do they really add to the game anyway?
It usually just means you lucked into some good spots.

But, to be honest, I haven't gone to a hunt in a couple of years.
So what the heck am I complaining about?
I guess I just remember how much disliked 1st's when I was going regularly.
This just gives me a chance to spout off about it.
Even if the degree requirements are changed it's not likely to draw me back.

But, you guys that are hitting the hunts hard right now, ya' might want to consider these ideas.

BTW, anybody know this? Can the degree requirements be changed by breed organizations, the rules committee? Or are they set solely by UKC?

Old Post 08-23-2003 03:53 AM
Bruce Ordway is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce Ordway Click here to Send Bruce Ordway a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce Ordway Visit Bruce Ordway's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce Ordway Add Bruce Ordway to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick Pritchard
UKC Forum Member

Ryan,
I think it really played out like this.............it's the bottom of the ninth,and tied 4 to 4. Sammy crushes a hanging breaking ball from Morris out of Wrigley that lands on Waveland Avenue sending the Cardinals to their defeat, and sending the Cubs into the World Series where they beat the Yankees in seven.And "NO" the bat was not corked !!! LOL.............

Rick GO CUBS !!!!!!!!!!

Old Post 08-23-2003 01:28 PM
Rick Pritchard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick Pritchard Click here to Send Rick Pritchard a Private Message Find more posts by Rick Pritchard Add Rick Pritchard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ryan Layton
UKC Forum Member

I don't even know how to respond to that one Rick. The Cubs winning a World Series. Is anyone still living that has actually seen that happen?

I do remember a ninth inning lead change on a walk off homerun between the Cards and Cubs in the last couple of years, but it was Edgar Renteria hitting one on ESPN Sunday night baseball that started an 11 game winning streak for the Cards which was the begining of a Cardinal push to the Division titile. In a division that the Cubs were leading at the time of the shot.

The Cubs winning a World Series. That is less likely than a dog that can't tree a coon making GRNITE in a month of hunts.

Old Post 08-23-2003 04:15 PM
Roby C
UKC Forum Member

my feelings on this are there are too many hunts that just have one cast of night ch. dogs going out. If I ever finish one to grand I hope the rules stay just like they are, I want that feeling of doing it honestly and proper

Old Post 08-23-2003 10:26 PM
Roby C is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roby C Click here to Send Roby C a Private Message Click Here to Email Roby C Find more posts by Roby C Add Roby C to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote