UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Frozen Semen Studs
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

I only tried it once to the sire of my once in a lifetime dog. The whole litter was worthless and it cost me a ton of money.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-12-2019 01:31 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I only tried it once to the sire of my once in a lifetime dog. The whole litter was worthless and it cost me a ton of money.

Tar

What is the dollar amount of one ton of money?

Old Post 01-12-2019 01:42 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

A week at the vet purchase the seman $1,100

Raised till 2 yrs old $3000.

25 cents worth of 22 shells.

How's that.

Tar

Old Post 01-12-2019 01:49 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Out of 25 year old semen, we like him allot

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 01-12-2019 02:08 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

$4,100.50 weighs a ton? It must have been all pennies.

I just bred a female to some old semen. It cost $2,000 for 2 straws, $200 for shipping, $500 for AI and boarding, $100 for gas. I didn't get any pups so I guess that I saved the money for the .22 shells.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 01-12-2019 at 02:15 PM

Old Post 01-12-2019 02:10 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Conrad mine was out of grntch yadkin tar chief direct son of rattler it was a grandfather X grandaughter cross she reproduced on everything else but him they were worthless!!

Tar

Old Post 01-12-2019 02:13 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
$4,100.50 weighs a ton? It must have been all pennies.

Raise 5 pups and hunt them till 2 yrs old see what it cost you unless you feed that Tennessee ole bow wow dog food and not much of it.

Tarbaby

Old Post 01-12-2019 02:16 PM
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Tar, Should have bred him to a Lipper bitch

Old Post 01-12-2019 02:19 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Female I am hunting now is out of above female rattler 4 times lipper 5 times out of a direct son of bad habit lol. Going to a stud ( live breeding lol ) that has rattler 3 times lipper 4 times.

It ain't like it ain't already there lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-12-2019 02:26 PM
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

I have raised three AI litters and hunted pups out of all three of those litters. I think the pups are as good as the ones from a natural breeding but the litters I raised were from dogs that were good reproducers when they were alive.

In my opinion over 90% of the dogs being collected are not good enough producers to be freezing semen on. There are really only a handful of males from each decade that are good enough producers to freeze semen from. Maybe only 1 or 2 per decade. Most of the semen in storage should be thrown away.

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Old Post 01-12-2019 05:57 PM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

From frozen semen, You still get some good ones, some bad ones and some in between.
I like that i can go back and get some traits that i want, and breed an older style dog.
And yes their is a difference, in their build and actions in some of these dogs. Some bad some good.
Frozen semen to me is like having a library of traits for me to use in breeding...

Old Post 01-12-2019 06:02 PM
V. Cannon
UKC Forum Member

Old semen isn’t as big of a problem as semen from some old dogs.

Old Post 01-12-2019 06:13 PM
V. Cannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for V. Cannon Click here to Send V. Cannon a Private Message Find more posts by V. Cannon Add V. Cannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Travis Brown
In my opinion over 90% of the dogs being collected are not good enough producers to be freezing semen on. There are really only a handful of males from each decade that are good enough producers to freeze semen from. Maybe only 1 or 2 per decade. Most of the semen in storage should be thrown away.

What percentage or number of studs today should be used for live breeding?

Old Post 01-12-2019 06:15 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

That's a good question Richard!

Old Post 01-12-2019 09:14 PM
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
What percentage or number of studs today should be used for live breeding?

Few I'm sure but that question will be a lot easier to answer ten years from now.

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Old Post 01-12-2019 11:32 PM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D Brothers
UKC Forum Member

I am hunting the 4th generation of frozen semen dogs, and yes they produce and are in the Winners Circle.I have had this stock of dogs for 29 yrs.

Old Post 01-13-2019 01:19 AM
D Brothers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D Brothers Click here to Send D Brothers a Private Message Click Here to Email D Brothers Find more posts by D Brothers Add D Brothers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote