UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Whats the best bedding for new born pup's ?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bridget264
New UKC Forum Member

whelping box for puppies

I have pregnant female dog and I bought a whelping box from https://www.caninewhelpingbox.com/ for her and her puppies. According to me, it is one of the best bedding for dogs and puppies. It comes with soft and adorable material. It comes with weaning pen areas for newborn puppies. You can make or buy whelping box according to your requirements.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-21-2018 06:15 AM
bridget264 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bridget264 Click here to Send bridget264 a Private Message Click Here to Email bridget264 Visit bridget264's homepage! Find more posts by bridget264 Add bridget264 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Melanie H.
I've always went and bought a couple of the black industrial rugs with the rubber backing.. They are heavy enough I've never had a dog pull them up.. If you have a momma who is trying to dig them up, you can tack them down in the whelping box... I use the headed pads in there for them to lay on.. When it's cold they are all piled up on the heating pad..

EXACTLY the way i do mine !!! The rubber backed mats are the best !!! I Tack down first one with screws and big fender washers. Put a Kane brand heat pad on one side and put two other mats over that. When she whelps i remove the top wet nasty one and leave the dry one ( middle) below and usually have to remove it fairly quick also ( 12- 24 hrs) . This leaves the bottom mat that is screwed down which is always dry. Rail along side is a MUST . I dont know how or why anyone would not use the rail . Later on i'll scatter some loose hay in there. If its REAL cold out i'll put a heat lamp above with either just a light bulb or heat bulb depending on how cold . Also have a timer on the bulb if projected weather stays same for many days . You gotta make sure momma and pups can get away from the bulb or the heat mat anytime they decide its too hot . Raising happy healthy pups takes time and alot of work . The KANE heat pads are expensive but they are very high quality and worth it .

Old Post 12-21-2018 06:48 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I raise mine on the plywood floor. No bedding. If it's in cold weather, I attach heat tracing to the under side of the floor.

Old Post 12-21-2018 07:51 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BEST EVER
Banned

Hard to beat the whelping pans, set the temp and they will do the rest.

GRNTCHGRCH PR Super Blue Riptide
GRNITECH 'PR' Prairie Creek Blue Big Horn

Mark Robbins Home : 812-547-1358 cell 812-309-8290
Corey Robbins Cell : 812-608-1645 / Home 812-547-2775

Old Post 12-21-2018 08:58 PM
BEST EVER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BEST EVER Click here to Send BEST EVER a Private Message Find more posts by BEST EVER Add BEST EVER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guy lucking
UKC Forum Member

I like fine grass or straw if out side just make sure to get it in so the female has plenary of time to nest. I also have a very nice whelping box for inside the house it has rails in a rubber mat I just put newspaper down in there and is a pups are born I pull it out and put dry stuff under them I've never lost a pup in the whelping box ever I would recommend that everyone build one if you're going to raise puppies

Old Post 12-22-2018 11:52 PM
Guy lucking is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guy lucking Click here to Send Guy lucking a Private Message Click Here to Email Guy lucking Find more posts by Guy lucking Add Guy lucking to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by oklared
SHEDDED NEWS PAPER, WILL OBSORB MESS, AND IF THEY GET UNDER IT WONT SMOTHER LIKE WITH CARPET, BLANKET, OR HAY OR CHIPS. DEPENDING ON WEATHER THEY DONT NEED MUCH OF ANYTHING.
20 or so years ago i took a trip to dave deans cabin with a friend who was picking up a pair of blue tick pups . dave had 2 new born litters in the house .kept them in shoe boxes with shredded news paper .he kept half of each litter nursing and switched the pups out every 4 hours .

Old Post 12-25-2018 12:59 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I've never used bedding. When the pups wet the bedding does the dam eat the wet bedding or leave the pups in a wet mess?

Old Post 12-25-2018 03:31 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JOE H BROOKS
UKC Forum Member

Bedding

I will never, use straw again, as one pup lost an eye to it, and an old friend, said an old vet said, to not use straw, as it's sharp and can put an eye out.

Old Post 12-27-2018 03:45 AM
JOE H BROOKS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JOE H BROOKS Click here to Send JOE H BROOKS a Private Message Find more posts by JOE H BROOKS Add JOE H BROOKS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote