UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Where have they all gone.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Where have they all gone.

Having extra time being on Corona arrest. I looked at a 1999 Cooner today 298 pgs. I saw alot of names of guys that were real big breeders and promoters and hunters in that era. Looking at a Cooner of March 2020, 98 pgs. Have they all passed, quit hunting? Find an old Cooner and just thump through it, SAD

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-26-2020 03:52 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Roy Grant

Sadly, a lot have passed away, but newspapers and magazines are a dying business. Newspapers and magazine numbers are declining rapidly. My local daily newspaper is a fraction of the size it used to be and the number of people taking the paper has reduced to less than half of its former glory days. Social media has replaced the local papers, no one needs them anymore. We are now in the electronic era where folks get their news, etc. Dave

Old Post 03-26-2020 04:34 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Yes Sir Roy. The Cooner every month was like a Christmas Present in the mail. I don't know how many days I was at work and Ii would call the wife and the first thing I would ask is. "Did the Cooner come today". She started not to like my calls around the beginning of the month. I know everyone had their favorite sections and I had mine. I think the rules corner with Mr. Brandenburger was my first read. Them days are gone. To answer your questions. Yes a lot have passed away. But I think it is mostly the internet has changed the advertising market. Also a big difference is most hunters today are interested in who is winning and those guys get enough free press they don't need to advertise and when they do Face Book is their choice. A lot of the ads form the past were dogs that made Grand Night Champion and then retired and wrote about. But it was great and I loved reading the magazine. I get a chance to see Mr. Walker at least twice a year. He is a pleasure to talk with and does a lot more for the hound world than just publish a few magazines. Is is out there working to keep dog hunting legal and does a good job.

Old Post 03-26-2020 12:45 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JesseJ
UKC Forum Member

My Brother had subscription's for Full Cry n American Cooner. I always look at them before he got home from work. I always like OL Beckham stories in Full Cry.The stories Dave Dean were really good in American Cooner also. Man we wore the covers off before the next months subscription came.oh the GOOD OL DAYS! JesseJ

Old Post 03-26-2020 01:40 PM
JesseJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JesseJ Click here to Send JesseJ a Private Message Click Here to Email JesseJ Find more posts by JesseJ Add JesseJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Hunts

Most people don't realize how much money they have donated to purse hunts and other hunts over the years also they go with hunters rights and other thing. I wonder if they have thought about combining the 2 magazines as one

Old Post 03-26-2020 02:51 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James B Grice
UKC Forum Member

Always liked reading Emet Brohard, OL Beckham ,

Old Post 03-26-2020 07:25 PM
James B Grice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James B Grice Click here to Send James B Grice a Private Message Click Here to Email James B Grice Find more posts by James B Grice Add James B Grice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BuckeyeBoys
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by James B Grice
Always liked reading Emet Brohard, OL Beckham ,

NUFF SAID !!!!

Old Post 03-26-2020 08:00 PM
BuckeyeBoys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BuckeyeBoys Click here to Send BuckeyeBoys a Private Message Find more posts by BuckeyeBoys Add BuckeyeBoys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Boondok Kennels
UKC Forum Member

Cooner

This will make many laugh, but I always look to see what “coondogs” ole preacher man Jim Kennard has for sale!!! NEVER bought one, just like seeing what he’s got in the ad. Then, it’s onto stud dog ads. It’s a shame they’re almost gone now.

*Buck Creek Fancy
*Buck Creek Rambler
*Ch Blaster's Big Roller...RIP
*Buck Creek Sugie...RIP
*GrNiteCh Buck Creek Hitler...RIP

Old Post 03-27-2020 03:14 PM
Boondok Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Boondok Kennels Click here to Send Boondok Kennels a Private Message Find more posts by Boondok Kennels Add Boondok Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

You only have to look at the web site. Almost nothing any where but here.

Old Post 03-27-2020 07:08 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adams, Harold
UKC Forum Member

The couple old area legends have passed. A lot of the rest have quit, I haven't talked to a local hunter but one in a few years other than on social media and that's usually trumpy trump related not hunting. I wouldn't be foolin' with a dog if it wasn't for grandkids wanting to. Pretty much wasted my life chasing these Ol hounds ... Did get to see some of the country thru the dog adventures though so I guess it wasn't a total loss... Lol....

Old Post 03-27-2020 08:08 PM
Adams, Harold is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adams, Harold Click here to Send Adams, Harold a Private Message Click Here to Email Adams, Harold Find more posts by Adams, Harold Add Adams, Harold to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

There was a guy that advertised dogs in the Cooner if I'm not mistaken his name was Cecil Bowen advertised them as country coondogs. Anyway I went down there and bought a 5 year old female everyone said I had lost my mind until they hunted with her. She became my measuring stick just a all around nice coondog.

Old Post 03-27-2020 10:25 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

If I were a younger man I'd have a few more hounds in my yard and a few curs too.

Old Post 03-27-2020 10:42 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Harold Adams

Harold, times sure have changed that's for sure, I recently drove over 250 miles to an area we used to coon hunt, so much of the big hardwood were clear cut, did not even look like the same place. We drove for miles seeing the same thing clear cut as far as you could see, mademe sick to look at all the prime hunting land gone, never to return. Getting old sucks, but seeing all the land being destroyed that the younger hunters will NEVER have a chance to hunt on really burns me up. I was told most of the hardwood was being shipped to China where they be needed it and made furniture to ship back to the USA and other countries. Maybe our getting old is a blessing, we won't be around to see the hunting grounds all destroyed or even the hunting stopped. Dave

Old Post 03-27-2020 10:46 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Guys we have lived the best of times. Music, fast cars, everyone had respect for their powers to be. Dave with what the bible has predicted for the world, I too don't mind being on the back side of life.

Old Post 03-28-2020 01:50 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D.Boyd
UKC Forum Member

What about ole Bob Polston and “The Frog Dog”? lol he was always interesting

Gr.NT.CH. PKC Platinum Ch. Thunder’s Wild Clyde Pkc Platinum Ch.Priceless Hank Gr.Nt. Pkc Platinum Ch.Clear Creek Chief. Gr.Nt.Pkc Platinum Ch. Cabin Creek Girly Gr Nt Pkc Platinum Ch.Big D’s Little Dee Gr Nt. Gold Ch. Nkc World Ch Tree Talking Hoss Gr Nt Pkc Gold Ch. Hardwood Money Gr Nt Ch.Boyd’s Forestwood Dan Gr Nt Pkc Silver Ch History Repeat’s Itself

Old Post 03-28-2020 03:51 AM
D.Boyd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D.Boyd Click here to Send D.Boyd a Private Message Click Here to Email D.Boyd Find more posts by D.Boyd Add D.Boyd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Our dogs may have not been all grand they might not have been all hound. We might not have been hunting for money. But that good meal , good fellowship, and that well earned trophy against tuff competition meant way more to me than all today’s condiments.

Tar

Old Post 03-28-2020 01:17 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote