UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Discussing the most influential of the Breeds.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Discussing the most influential of the Breeds.

Something I think we should consider and give a lot of thought to. I don't think the dogs of yesterday were influential for the same reasons the dogs of today are.

A lot of dogs from years past were influential because some people understood advertising and they also had a driving desire to coonhunt and own good dogs and promote them. The dogs may not have been as good as they advertised them to be.

Todays dogs are known (if your head isn't stuck in the sand) for what they do, week in and week out. With the internet, message board (depends on how fast Allen is) and Facebook. We know the results of these hunts within hours of completion. Sometimes the final cast are promoted live to us. In the past we read about them once a month.

I think Mr. BAll and the original Harry dog from the mid to late 70's is a good example of this. He had a tremendous impact on the walker breed. I think it was the advertising that got him recognizes and God Bless Mr. Ball for advertising him. But in todays world whee a dog isn't titled and put on a shelf to read about and breed to. I don't think Harry could match what is happening today. Please I am not taking anything away and I know Mr. Ball did hunt the old hickory nut harry is many states and was't afraid to show him. By the standards set then. He was tops. Just saying times have changed. Not sure for the bad or the good, but they have changed.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-26-2018 05:56 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ethan howard
UKC Forum Member

Mr Ball would include on the old ad's he put out for Harry, all the pros and cons about him. He spoke the truth on all his ads

(865)-603-7567
crkdogs@gmail.com
CLINCH RIVER KENNELS
Grch Grnitech 'PR' Clinch River Jack Daniels
2017 RQE#22 Overton County 2nd Place
Highest scoring dog at SEB&TD sectional
King of Show Tellico Mountain Coon Hunters Club Walker Sectional
2017 Ukc World Qualified
2017 PKC Youth World Qualified

Tall Tails Hunting and Feed Supply
C-(865)-603-7567

Old Post 01-26-2018 05:59 PM
ethan howard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ethan howard Click here to Send ethan howard a Private Message Click Here to Email ethan howard Find more posts by ethan howard Add ethan howard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morgan branch
UKC Forum Member

Agree completely. The difference in a good hound and a great hound in most eyes are simply the marketing behind them.

Old Post 01-26-2018 06:21 PM
morgan branch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for morgan branch Click here to Send morgan branch a Private Message Find more posts by morgan branch Add morgan branch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Elvis Black
UKC Forum Member

My favorite Mr. Ball quote, “He will run anything from a bumble bee to a jet plane.”

Old Post 01-26-2018 07:06 PM
Elvis Black is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Elvis Black Click here to Send Elvis Black a Private Message Click Here to Email Elvis Black Find more posts by Elvis Black Add Elvis Black to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Elvis I remember it as he will run anything from a Humming Bird to a Jet plane. But that was many years ago. lol He was a marketing genius. I don't think it was many times we loaded up the hounds that we didn't discuss his latest ad or discuss one of his famous quotes about the banker and your wife. LOL I got two females out of the Old Harry and a dog that was located in the Tampa Fl area back around 1978 or 79. Trying to remember Harry's life span. It had to be from the early 70's to around 1980 something.

One of the most popular crosses on him was Rutans Bear Creek Princess. Thats were Owens Hardwood Bozo came from.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-26-2018 at 08:10 PM

Old Post 01-26-2018 08:06 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote