UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Which are you?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Which are you?

In my 60 years of coon hunting I have found 2 kinds of hunters (there are a lot more categories but for this discussion just 2). Those that can only see the good things their dog does and the bad that your dog does and Those that see everything their dog does wrong and notice all the good things your dog does.

The first category seem to be happier with their dogs but have a hard time improving them and the second type is never really happy with their dog and always looking for something better.

True example: 25 years ago I hunted with a female named Candy that in my opinion beat my dog every time we hunted them. Friend that owned her turned down a legitimate $11,000 for her. He got sick and wanted to give her to me. I told him I would hunt her until he got better. Now here's the interesting part. Once I had her I didn't think she was nearly as good. Maybe she worked better for him but I really think it was the different way I looked at it. Being too critical of your dog can be a curse.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-31-2019 04:47 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I would love to have better but at this stage in the game what’s the point 🤷🏼

Tar

Old Post 12-31-2019 05:17 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I have found mostly the first hunter you described. And it has taken the fun out of pleasure hunting with others. For years if someone new came to the area. I wanted to hunt with them. Then things changed. No matter how much fun you have or understanding you have towards their dog. If your dog outperforms theirs. They can't help but find fault. They blame your dog for their dog looking bad.

Another pet peeve of mine. I absolutely refuse to hunt a young dog with anyone. Why, because young dogs look foolish at times. Thing is that young dog can go on to be a top hound. But the guy you let hunt with you when that dog was 6 months old. Remembers everything foolish thing that dog did and thats the first thing they share with others when discussing the dog. They call this human nature, I think. Well Human Nature has drawn me to isolation with it comes to pleasure hunting. Pay up you entry fee if you want to see my hound. It may still look awful, but at least you paid for the information that will be used against him.

No one is more critical about the facts of my dog then me.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 12-31-2019 at 05:22 PM

Old Post 12-31-2019 05:18 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I would love to have better but at this stage in the game what’s the point 🤷🏼

Tar

The same here Tar, if I had a world beater I couldn't do it justice anymore! Lol 😂

Old Post 12-31-2019 09:07 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I'm too critical on all dogs.... especially mine...I haven't been satisfied in years.

Old Post 12-31-2019 09:14 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Preacher Tom

I just overlook the faults in the other man's dogs, I see them, but since the dogs aren't mine I try and overlook them the best I can. Now my dogs are different, I see all their faults and try to correct them if I can. Lol. Dave

Old Post 01-01-2020 02:17 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I can see the faults in all of them, and I've really had to learn to accept what I consider mediocrity. I'll always kinda be looking for better, but good enough can be alot of fun when you resign yourself to it.
Now mediocrity is incredibly subjective. I've hunted with breed leaders, state champions, and world hunt winners, but I can only think of two dogs I've ever seen in nearly 30 years of hunting that I would call incredible. Most of the rest have fallen somewhere close to average on my personal spectrum.

Old Post 01-01-2020 02:50 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Well here's what I've come to. I've gone through a fair share of hounds in the last 42 yrs. Got rid of a few that I regretted later on. I like consistency, I abhor a trash runner, I hate a hound that won't handle and one that is a PIA in the pen, can't stand a dog that won't shut up in the kennel. I like a hound that likes to see me coming and thoroughly enjoys my attention when not hunting. I like well built hounds. Could care less about color. Like a dog that has a good mouth but the best hound I ever owned had the poorest mouth I ever heard on a hound but I came to love to hear her go.

Give me a well built hound that runs the game it's suppose to, has way more good days/nights than bad and is enjoyable to have around no matter where I go and I can be happy! I'm always hoping for a better one but I'm not going to let that stop me from thoroughly enjoying a good one when I've got one. Anymore that's all I can ask!

Old Post 01-01-2020 03:17 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
Well here's what I've come to. I've gone through a fair share of hounds in the last 42 yrs. Got rid of a few that I regretted later on. I like consistency, I abhor a trash runner, I hate a hound that won't handle and one that is a PIA in the pen, can't stand a dog that won't shut up in the kennel. I like a hound that likes to see me coming and thoroughly enjoys my attention when not hunting. I like well built hounds. Could care less about color. Like a dog that has a good mouth but the best hound I ever owned had the poorest mouth I ever heard on a hound but I came to love to hear her go.

Give me a well built hound that runs the game it's suppose to, has way more good days/nights than bad and is enjoyable to have around no matter where I go and I can be happy! I'm always hoping for a better one but I'm not going to let that stop me from thoroughly enjoying a good one when I've got one. Anymore that's all I can ask!

Im right there with ya I gotta like one at home as well in the timber ....

Old Post 01-01-2020 03:29 AM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I’d say it’s safe to say I hate all dogs 😂😂

Old Post 01-01-2020 06:08 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss
I’d say it’s safe to say I hate all dogs 😂😂

Black and Tan man Carl Minehart told me that once. Said it was a shame such a fine sport was dependent on such a terrible animal as a coonhound...

Old Post 01-01-2020 06:25 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Which are you?

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
In my 60 years of coon hunting I have found 2 kinds of hunters (there are a lot more categories but for this discussion just 2).

Those that can only see the good things their dog does and the bad that your dog does...

and Those that see everything their dog does wrong and notice all the good things your dog does Right.

The first category...I have a hard time hunting with these types...my dog strikes and bays and they will say it was their dog...my dog gets out there quick and is covering some ground and I am told my dog is not manageable and hunts to crazy...my dogs are running deer...my dogs bark too much on a hot track...

The thing about these characters I wouldn’t feed the majority of the dogs they keep...

I honestly cannot say I am in category 2...but I don’t give a pup a long time to prove he is a keeper...I do not hope that he will turn on at 14 months old...the ones that excite me are showing me things I like at 5 or 6 months old...I don’t even name the dogs until I decide they are keepers...

Sometimes I keep a dog that I am not real happy with out of necessity but he is definitely on the list to be traded...chances are he will do good elsewhere...

On category 2...I think those guys are never satisfied even when they have a top dog...those guys will tell you there is no such thing as a perfect dog...there is no such thing as a finished dog...a finished dog is one that no longer hunts...

I see it in a different way...good dogs are like professional athletes...if he is a veteran in that group then he is a good one...and he will look good in any company when given the opportunity...

Old Post 01-01-2020 10:56 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Good & Bad?

This is a subject that I have given a lot of thought to over the years and some on here have echoed my exact thoughts. One thing that really irritates me is when someone tries to insult our intelligents. Example; I drove a very long way to buy a well bred pup from a very well known breeder/hunter at one time. I wanted to see the sire go so we cut him and another female loose. For the sake of not speaking to long, the hunt boiled down to us chasing down those two dogs after a long run through several sections and circling back through at a high rate of speed. We finally corralled them and his words were, "I don't know how your coon run in WV but these coon down here can get long winded at times". The next drop we must have struck and treed one of those (WV) coon cause it only went about 300 yards, LOL! Any coon hunter with any experience would have known what those dogs were running yet this (well known man) insulted me by making this lame excuse to make himself and his dogs look better. Now, that's something that really offends me! Other than that, I can put up with about anything !

Old Post 01-01-2020 11:51 AM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Good & Bad?

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Moore
This is a subject that I have given a lot of thought to over the years and some on here have echoed my exact thoughts. One thing that really irritates me is when someone tries to insult our intelligents. Example; I drove a very long way to buy a well bred pup from a very well known breeder/hunter at one time. I wanted to see the sire go so we cut him and another female loose. For the sake of not speaking to long, the hunt boiled down to us chasing down those two dogs after a long run through several sections and circling back through at a high rate of speed. We finally corralled them and his words were, "I don't know how your coon run in WV but these coon down here can get long winded at times". The next drop we must have struck and treed one of those (WV) coon cause it only went about 300 yards, LOL! Any coon hunter with any experience would have known what those dogs were running yet this (well known man) insulted me by making this lame excuse to make himself and his dogs look better. Now, that's something that really offends me! Other than that, I can put up with about anything !

Well did you go ahead and buy the puppy lol ?

Tar

Old Post 01-01-2020 12:15 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I had a cold nosed Lipper female some said she hunted like a bluetick. Put her in one hunt because it was raining and I knew she would get a coon treed and she did and won. But I didn't think she was enough dog for the big boys. And I have spent 25 years trying to get one just like her. With no luck so for.

Old Post 01-01-2020 12:26 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

She was out of Nailor not Lipper.

Old Post 01-01-2020 12:31 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Everybody agrees that there is no perfect dog but everyone keeps looking for one...go figure!

Old Post 01-01-2020 05:04 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dog

We ALL know that there is NO PERFECT MAN, so if anyone is searching for a perfect dog, they are barking up an empty tree. Lol. I have only seen 4 to 5 digs that I considered top coon dogs and every one of them had something that I would have changed if I could. We ALL see things a little different, so what one likes, another may dislike. Like some folks have already mentioned, if you have a dog that you like most things about, you better KEEP that dog. Shucks, I have kept some that had several things that I did not like, just because they were too good to replace. My father in law always told me that a dog will always disappoint you at some time and he was RIGHT. NO matter how good they are, we always want better and even the best dog will do something to disappoint you, may not happen often, but it WILL HAPPEN. Dave

Old Post 01-01-2020 08:54 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

You're a smart man Dave...lol

Old Post 01-01-2020 09:09 PM
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

When you become complacent with what you have, there is no room for improvement.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 01-01-2020 11:46 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pigsit
When you become complacent with what you have, there is no room for improvement.

I agree with complacency is not a good thing...especially if we are breeding dogs...

Old Post 01-02-2020 01:10 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Complacent

There is a BIG difference in being complacent and being honest with what we have. I want the best dog that ever lived and I am positive that I have never owned or even seen THAT DOG. I can enjoy a pretty good dog even when I know that there are better dogs out there somewhere. Wanting the best dog is a good thing, it's keeps us from being complacent, now getting the best dog ever may never happen and we should not define ourselves on that basis alone. I can say that with over 50 years of owning and trying to find that so called best dog ever, I have managed to find a very few that were close. I sure had fun with them and none of the very few I am talking about could not have been a little better in some way. All of the top athletes in the world have had their moments when they did not look so good, but reached a level that others only dream about, the same can be said about a select few coon dogs. Dave

Old Post 01-02-2020 01:34 AM
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Good & Bad?

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Well did you go ahead and buy the puppy lol ?

Tar

Yes I did Tar, another mistake, lol. But I've bought many pups over the years that were lacking what we all are looking for. It wasn't what the dogs did on that night as it was what the owner tried to pull off. The sire finally treed a coon and was very impressive at doing it with all the bells and whistles. I just wish I had back all the money I've put into these dang hounds, I could buy me a real COON DOG, .

Old Post 01-02-2020 10:18 AM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Good & Bad?

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Moore
Yes I did Tar, another mistake, lol. But I've bought many pups over the years that were lacking what we all are looking for. It wasn't what the dogs did on that night as it was what the owner tried to pull off. The sire finally treed a coon and was very impressive at doing it with all the bells and whistles. I just wish I had back all the money I've put into these dang hounds, I could buy me a real COON DOG, .

Well last night my 2 yr old looked like something familiar he is the 5 th generation of these dogs I have raised 1 den and 1 tree with 2 in it the speed from strike to tree is what’s familiar. I don’t like to hunt by myself much anymore but I have started doing it again I had to take him away from my 7 yr old 4th generation female he let her do all the work. I also got my 6th generation that will be old enough next fall to hunt. If I breed my female again I am just going to take her to shack and that’s just because I owe a buddy a pup.

For some odd reason I used to be consumed at all cost to go to hunts and compete. I lost it !! I enjoyed my night just me and my dog and my thermos of good coffee and his familiar traits brought back tons of memories.

Tar

Old Post 01-02-2020 12:59 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Shack???? Oh my goodness, has something happened to Country?

Old Post 01-02-2020 02:18 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote