UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting speed ?
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

Interesting Thread & Responses!

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
This post points out why it may be so hard to raise coon dogs. Evidently we're not all looking for the same thing. I guess I have always wanted something in the middle. A dog that hunts with a lot of hustle but nearly always strikes within hearing.

quote:
To me it's funny that since Garmin we talk about dogs in terms of MPH and how many yards or miles away. I remember a time when talked about coon sense (the ability to find a coon), how fast they ran a running track (never heard anyone use MPH when talking about this) and striking within hearing. One thing that is plain and simple GPS has changed hunting and terminology.

Very true words spoken here! I guess with time, the only consistent thing is change.

In the pre-tracking collar days in my area, you just didn't see many folks toting around the go yonder style dog. Too much time spent dog hunting & not enough time treeing coon which equated to $$ being missed out on. Hide hunting was in full swing with hides bringing top $$, with many more hunters & many less coon than today.

The GPS is a fantastic tool, & takes away a lot of the guessing that went on in the pre-tracking collar & even the beep beep days. It allows being able to hunt a go yonder style dog, keep up with them, & eliminate the wasted time dog hunting.

As has been mentioned, there's something out there for everybody. The purpose for hunting & technology available of present day drive the reason for a different style of dog being more popular than the purpose & lack of technology driving the reason of yesteryear.

As long as you're having fun, more power to ya!

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-19-2019 10:09 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Mine hunts at 2 miles per hour and trees coons. She just doesn't understand what's the big rush.

No rush at all if your just out pleasure hunting. Just don't walk hunt her or you'll pass her by... the average person walks 3-4 mph.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-19-2019 10:13 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
No rush at all if your just out pleasure hunting. Just don't walk hunt her or you'll pass her by... the average person walks 3-4 mph.
That's what I like about the Alpha. I know where she is and I never pass her.

Old Post 12-19-2019 11:36 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Must be hunting blueticks.... lol 😂 ... sorry I couldn't resist!

Old Post 12-19-2019 11:57 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

My dog can moon walk as good as Michael Jackson.

Tar

Old Post 12-20-2019 12:00 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Some one asked.
I hunt blue dogs mostly and have hunted double digit blue dogs not many and non that I felt was what I was looking for but there out there.

Old Post 12-20-2019 12:09 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dog speed

The only number that interests me, is the number of coons treed and seen. I don't care if it's pleasure hunting or competition hunting, the number of coons treed and seen is what counts. Treeing the most coons usually wins hunts and makes for a very pleasurable hunt just pleasure hunting. Different strokes for different folks, but do not over think coon hunting. Dave

Old Post 12-20-2019 12:23 AM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

X2

Old Post 12-20-2019 12:35 AM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

This is an honest question not meant to stir up controversy: Are these 13-18 MPH dogs that way when you are starting them or do they get that way? How hard is it to start a pup that goes wide and fast? Seems like I have a hard time trying to corral my pups that don't go near that hard.

Old Post 12-20-2019 01:16 AM
Preacher Tom is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Y'all have gotten me to watching my Garmin with all of this mph talk. I turned my little dog loose tonight and she struck and grubbed a cold track with only 4 or 5 lonesome bawls before she treed. The Garmin said that she traveled .5 miles at 4 mph and treed. That meant that it took her 7 1/2 min. I drove down the road and walked 75 yds to her. She had a little kitten coon. She may not be a high powered dog but I sure do like my little 4 mph dog.

Old Post 12-20-2019 01:19 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
This is an honest question not meant to stir up controversy: Are these 13-18 MPH dogs that way when you are starting them or do they get that way? How hard is it to start a pup that goes wide and fast? Seems like I have a hard time trying to corral my pups that don't go near that hard.

Mr. Tom,
You can train one to operate this way to a point. You can get them to fire in fast and hard but usually the dog slows down after a short distance. Doyle and Trax both were that way naturally to my knowledge. I've seen some that could do the high rate of speeds for short distances but not all night that were trained. I honestly have no idea on how Doyle was bred. But I do know some of Trax pedigree. I'm not a pup man and probably will never be a pup man.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-20-2019 01:26 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Y'all have gotten me to watching my Garmin with all of this mph talk. I turned my little dog loose tonight and she struck and grubbed a cold track with only 4 or 5 lonesome bawls before she treed. The Garmin said that she traveled .5 miles at 4 mph and treed. That meant that it took her 7 1/2 min. I drove down the road and walked 75 yds to her. She had a little kitten coon. She may not be a high powered dog but I sure do like my little 4 mph dog.

That's all that matters. You feed her, not me. Speed is only 1 factor of many to look at when examining performance of a dog.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-20-2019 01:30 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Eric DePue

You got that right, speed is great when they have ALL the other tools. Treeing the most coons is the name of the game and that takes way more than just being fast or hunting on the run. Dave

Old Post 12-20-2019 02:42 AM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Eric DePue

Double post

Old Post 12-20-2019 02:42 AM
chainsaw
UKC Forum Member

Speed

Here’s another way to look at this subject a dog can wind a track at 50 mph on the back of a truck but there not hunting a block of woods so if a dog is running at full speed in a straight line he could wind a track easy but if he is working a old track it takes time to do that

Old Post 12-20-2019 03:40 AM
chainsaw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chainsaw Click here to Send chainsaw a Private Message Click Here to Email chainsaw Find more posts by chainsaw Add chainsaw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

https://www.rover.com/blog/how-fast-can-a-dog-run/

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-20-2019 04:46 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

The Garmin displays an AVERAGE speed ....not how fast a dog is running/hunting

Old Post 12-20-2019 06:04 AM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
The dog I'm speaking of was hunted up here for around 6 months. He won a pro classic, and several 30 and 50 entry hunts. We called him Big Doyle/ O'Doyle Rules. He wasn't everyone's type of dog. He could and did tree coons as he came to them. He was far from perfect. But he treed coons and won hunts. And he could look absolutely unbeatable at times.
O'Doyle rules that's cool

Old Post 12-20-2019 02:08 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta nightlife
UKC Forum Member

Has anybody seen how fast a me to dog is I bet there fast as greased lightning

Old Post 12-20-2019 02:34 PM
delta nightlife is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta nightlife Click here to Send delta nightlife a Private Message Click Here to Email delta nightlife Find more posts by delta nightlife Add delta nightlife to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by delta nightlife
Has anybody seen how fast a me to dog is I bet there fast as greased lightning

A me too dog cannot be faster than a sure enough coon dog...but a really good one can pass up a good coon dog at the tree and get first locating bark and make it look really good...

Old Post 12-20-2019 03:33 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
A me too dog cannot be faster than a sure enough coon dog...but a really good one can pass up a good coon dog at the tree and get first locating bark and make it look really good...

Since they do not have their nose on the ground they are able to run faster.

Tar

Old Post 12-20-2019 03:35 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
The Garmin displays an AVERAGE speed ....not how fast a dog is running/hunting

Yes I know. According to the that article our dogs or dogs of very similar build may be able to reach speeds of up to 30 mph for short durations.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 12-20-2019 04:02 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Since they do not have their nose on the ground they are able to run faster.

Tar

🤔😁

Old Post 12-20-2019 04:13 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Yes I know. According to the that article our dogs or dogs of very similar build may be able to reach speeds of up to 30 mph for short durations.

I agree with 30 mph...

I used to run my dogs at the beach back in my younger days and before it became popular to the public...

My 60-65 pound Mt curs at that time consistently could run 28 mph and hold that speed for at least half a mile...and the tires on my truck were slightly oversized...

I am pretty sure these dogs could probably run a mile under three minutes...

20 mph for a mile is 3 minutes and if a dog of this type was in top shape I would say it is very doable...

Old Post 12-20-2019 04:23 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

The fastest hound is the one you're trying to head off before he gets on the highway.

Old Post 12-20-2019 04:24 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote