UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting speed ?
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

For some of the non believers that there is dogs that hunt double digits for long periods of time night after night very considerable distances. Some day you may quit being Jealous and own 1. There out there.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-19-2019 03:00 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Some like dogs that fly through the country and some don't. It is a matter of personal preference. It has nothing to do with jealousy. I know that they are out there, I have one. But I don't hunt her. I hunt the one that trees coons close and if she starts flying through the woods, I tone her.
Now if you prefer one that flies through the woods, that is fine with me as long as I don't have to hunt with it or walk to it when it gets treed a mile deep.

Old Post 12-19-2019 03:08 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Where Richard and I live the Coons are considered thin but I can almost always strike and tree one in less than half mile so what is the point of walking a mile or more nearly every drop, it just don't make sense to me. But to each his own!

Old Post 12-19-2019 03:20 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

I certainly won't be jealous, ( double digits) night after night) considerable distance ) I'll have him or her for sale on this board! I live in Illinois 1000 yards or a mile to tree a coon I've walked by 7! In that distance you may need that in PA but not Here,I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but double digits,and considerable distance ,is a poor measuring stick for a coon dog, good hunting to ya!

Old Post 12-19-2019 03:29 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Hunting speed

I am certainly not jealous of anyone that has one of these "fast" moving hunting hounds. I am just stating simple facts that NO DOG can actually hunt at some of the speeds posted on here. Math put a man on the moon and math tells me a lot more than listening to anyone claims. At a speed of only 18 miles per hour, a dog must travel a mile every 3 minutes and 20 seconds, fact proven by math and does anyone actually believe any dog can maintain that kind of speed for 2 to 3 hours? To get an average one must travel even faster part of the time. Don't pizz on my leg and try to tell me it's raining. I have had my share of those fast moving dogs, yes they cover some ground, some actually hunting the ground they cover,a lot more just running through the woods hoping to find a track. Speed itself is not a determination of the quality of a coon hound. Running past a dozen coons to tree 1 coon is a serious fault to me, I am coon hunting not racing dogs or hunting for a dog. Dave

Old Post 12-19-2019 03:41 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

If I wanted to hunt in the next county or state I would go over there and turn loose.

Old Post 12-19-2019 04:18 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lblhunter
UKC Forum Member

Some dogs are hunted hard or ran on a treadmill and are in better condition than your average pleasure dog.
If a human can run a marathon of 26 miles + 300 some yards in 2hrs 2 minutes, 4 minutes 40 some seconds avg per mile what is a dog capable of?
Condition, terrain and genetics all play a huge part.

Old Post 12-19-2019 04:53 PM
lblhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lblhunter Click here to Send lblhunter a Private Message Find more posts by lblhunter Add lblhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Running and hunting are 2 completely different things. That is The point that some are trying to make. We know how fast a dog can run but just how fast can a dog "hunt". And I realize that some can hunt faster than others but at what point do y'all think hunting becomes running? I believe that their is an in between "grey" area. They have to give up hunting effectiveness to get hunting speed. It is kinda like giving up accuracy to get tree quickness.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 12-19-2019 at 05:37 PM

Old Post 12-19-2019 05:29 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Hunting speed

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I am certainly not jealous of anyone that has one of these "fast" moving hunting hounds. I am just stating simple facts that NO DOG can actually hunt at some of the speeds posted on here. Math put a man on the moon and math tells me a lot more than listening to anyone claims. At a speed of only 18 miles per hour, a dog must travel a mile every 3 minutes and 20 seconds, fact proven by math and does anyone actually believe any dog can maintain that kind of speed for 2 to 3 hours? To get an average one must travel even faster part of the time. Don't pizz on my leg and try to tell me it's raining. I have had my share of those fast moving dogs, yes they cover some ground, some actually hunting the ground they cover,a lot more just running through the woods hoping to find a track. Speed itself is not a determination of the quality of a coon hound. Running past a dozen coons to tree 1 coon is a serious fault to me, I am coon hunting not racing dogs or hunting for a dog. Dave

Some of you have some serious misconceptions about dogs that average in the double digits night in night out and hit upper teen speed on some tracks.
I can assure you not all are just a run away going mules for no reason and hunting this way with no rhyme or reason looking for a hot one to pop up a mile deep every time. Some can simply flat out run a track in ways others do not have the althetetism or stamina for.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-19-2019 05:30 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, before we were just jealous. Now we have "serious misconceptions". Isn't that a very fancy or PC way to say that we don't know what we are talking about? We are just redneck coonhunters. You will have to post so that we can understand. You don't have to worry about hurting our feelings.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 12-19-2019 at 05:44 PM

Old Post 12-19-2019 05:41 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: Hunting speed ?

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
When dogs are not struck what mph do you think a dog is being a thorough proficient hunter or having a run away ?
Tar

......."thorough proficient hunter".....Do y'all really think that a dog can run through a woods at 15 mph and be a "thorough proficient" hunter?

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 12-19-2019 at 05:51 PM

Old Post 12-19-2019 05:48 PM
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Hunting speed

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Some of you have some serious misconceptions about dogs that average in the double digits night in night out and hit upper teen speed on some tracks.
I can assure you not all are just a run away going mules for no reason and hunting this way with no rhyme or reason looking for a hot one to pop up a mile deep every time. Some can simply flat out run a track in ways others do not have the althetetism or stamina for.

There's no misunderstanding or misconception period,I respect your knowledge,and accomplishments, but all coons don't sit 1/2 mile off the road waiting for you to turn loose , all don't run a mile then bush! If you like that style of dog then I'm delighted your happy, but please don't try to sell that nonsense that a dog has to hunt so many mph to be proficient or get 1000 yards in to be effective no one is talking about some dogs running a track faster than others,most of us learned that years ago, treeing coons, running fast , getting deep,are 3 different topics, the misconception is not knowing the difference.....

Old Post 12-19-2019 06:02 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

This post points out why it may be so hard to raise coon dogs. Evidently we're not all looking for the same thing. I guess I have always wanted something in the middle. A dog that hunts with a lot of hustle but nearly always sticks within hearing.

Old Post 12-19-2019 06:37 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Oh my goodness, before we were just jealous. Now we have "serious misconceptions". Isn't that a very fancy or PC way to say that we don't know what we are talking about? We are just redneck coonhunters. You will have to post so that we can understand. You don't have to worry about hurting our feelings.

Trying to be nice Richard lol, I've got the holiday spirit!

Greyhounds can hit speeds over 40mph. Yard dogs speed may surprise you. I myself (and I'm no athlete by any meaning of the word) could at one time run a 5 min mile and the 1/4 in 64-67 sec.
There are many dogs that hunt in double digits speeds night in and night out and on certain tracks average in the upper teens (most are called walkers lol). Not all the dogs are straight line hunters many zig, zag and make large swings hunting a woods out treeing coons as they come to them while doing it like their tail is on fire.
Some of these post remind of when Dalton had acquired a blue dog this fall thinking if he trained it like he has been taught it would hunt the way he was accustomed to. He calls late one night because he could here the dog sniffing from 127 yards away. His dad laughed when he asked how to fix that. They both know that not all are like that but knew this one would never fit the bill for him even though he treed coons. It also reminds me of Chey's childhood stories of camp fires, biscuits and coffee hunting the redbones down here in these same hills (ozark mountains) he still enjoys to hunt. He was quite young when he went to looking for something different though he has many fond memories of those nights waiting around a fire. These dogs rarely missed how truly good were they when you have time for all that while waiting on the pack to get treed? The answer lies in what it is that the individual hunting is looking for.
Y'all can hunt your single digit dogs the beauty is there is something for everyone and to each his own, no judgement here. My group enjoys something different, as do many others do, a fast dog that moves around good and the endurance to go with it. Athletes and competitors.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-19-2019 06:49 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Hunting speed

quote:
Originally posted by Cotton 1927
There's no misunderstanding or misconception period,I respect your knowledge,and accomplishments, but all coons don't sit 1/2 mile off the road waiting for you to turn loose , all don't run a mile then bush! If you like that style of dog then I'm delighted your happy, but please don't try to sell that nonsense that a dog has to hunt so many mph to be proficient or get 1000 yards in to be effective no one is talking about some dogs running a track faster than others,most of us learned that years ago, treeing coons, running fast , getting deep,are 3 different topics, the misconception is not knowing the difference.....

I think the misconception is that you think all these dogs only get treed deep every time and that they only ambush coons.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 12-19-2019 06:51 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Re: Hunting speed ?

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
......."thorough proficient hunter".....Do y'all really think that a dog can run through a woods at 15 mph and be a "thorough proficient" hunter?

Yes some can and are.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 12-19-2019 06:53 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

To me it's funny that since Garmin we talk about dogs in terms of MPH and how many yards or miles away. I remember a time when talked about coon sense (the ability to find a coon), how fast they ran a running track(never heard anyone use MPH when talking about this) and striking within hearing. One thing that is plain and simple GPS has changed hunting and terminology. Another question is how fast can a coon run for 30 minutes?

Old Post 12-19-2019 08:08 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

To me it's funny that since Garmin we talk about dogs in terms of MPH and how many yards or miles away. I remember a time when talked about coon sense (the ability to find a coon), how fast they ran a running track(never heard anyone use MPH when talking about this) and striking within hearing. One thing that is plain and simple GPS has changed hunting and terminology. Another question is how fast can a coon run for 30 minutes?

Old Post 12-19-2019 08:08 PM
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2
I sure like to see them making big swings and Averaging in the double digits all the time. Sometimes in the flooded river bottoms they will slow down but then I still like to see them close to 10 mph. I turned a dog loose last winter in a bottom and he was 900+ yards treed before I could walk back and shut my tailgate. Went 18 mph across there. If a guy had one that did that all the time he would have something. They just don’t hardly make them though. I wish I had my name on the one I saw do it.
I'm not sure where I got that misconception from.....

Old Post 12-19-2019 08:39 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I just can't wait until the middle of June when I will get to see some of those double digit hunters go.
Four miles per hr, 2 miles in 30 min, 1 mile in 15 min is plenty fast enough for me. Eight miles per hr, 4 miles in 30 min, 2 miles in 15 min, 1 miles in 7 1/2 minutes is way too fast for me. I can't imagine trying to keep up with a dog that proficiently hunted at 16 mph.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 12-19-2019 at 09:15 PM

Old Post 12-19-2019 08:52 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Cotton 1927
I'm not sure where I got that misconception from.....

I see your from Illinois. Down here believe it or not most places dogs have to go look for a coon then run it and tree it. That coon treed at 900 may be the closest one in that section, that coon was struck ran and treed in short time. Would it have been better if it was struck boo hooed around on for 20 then treed? Is it better when if a track is longer than 400 yards a dog stops and comes back in? Sometimes they may get treed right out of the tailgate. Fyi getting treed at 900 yards away is not uncommon regardless of what style, breed or speed of dog you hunt here.
I just saw Tom mention coon sense. The most successful dogs have it they seem to know where and how to go look for one, even some of the fast ones. In some parts of the country it may not be as important but in others it definitely is. As for MPH that is what Tar initially asked about. It is an interesting conversation. He like many others knows when a dog is having a run away or if they are actually hunting. A dog can do the later at a higher speed than some may think. It is not rocket science to tell the difference. Do a quick Google search and you may be surprised at the speed athleticly built dogs can run and the distance that some speeds can be maintained.

Richard yell snake to one of your northern hunters down here when you come and see how fast they move, its mock speed!

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Last edited by Redneck Mafia on 12-19-2019 at 09:28 PM

Old Post 12-19-2019 09:19 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

The dog I'm speaking of was hunted up here for around 6 months. He won a pro classic, and several 30 and 50 entry hunts. We called him Big Doyle/ O'Doyle Rules. He wasn't everyone's type of dog. He could and did tree coons as he came to them. He was far from perfect. But he treed coons and won hunts. And he could look absolutely unbeatable at times.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-19-2019 09:27 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
osimpson4
UKC Forum Member

GPS

I got me a new alpha yesterday. I plugged it in to charge when I got home from work and after I got finished feeding the hounds and horses, doing my other chores and eating supper it was all charged up. So I sat in my recliner got out the owner's manual turned them on and started playing . After about 30 minutes of playing around I went the collar screen and it showed ole dog had been averaging 3.5 mph and he hadn't left my knee. LoL so I don't know how accurate them speeds are LoL.

Old Post 12-19-2019 09:30 PM
osimpson4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for osimpson4 Click here to Send osimpson4 a Private Message Click Here to Email osimpson4 Find more posts by osimpson4 Add osimpson4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

And my next question is how many have ever witnessed a high double digit dog? How many of you hunt walker dogs vs off color dogs?

If you've never seen it you'll be sceptical. I was sceptical myself before I saw it. Because the fastest I'd ever seen a dog move was 13 until I saw Doyle go.

And common misconception is that this type of hunter won't tree close. I saw him close at 55 yards and seen him far at 2 miles. But not the same night. If coons were moving her treed the close coons. I hated hunting against him in hunts, because he's get all of his and a good portion of yours and carry 100 strike. I never walked past any coons to him that I ever noticed. But we don't have that type of population here to know if you are or not. You can tell me he didn't acreage those numbers until your blue in the face. I hunted with him enough nights and long nights to know he could keep it up for longer than most people will ever hunt consecutive nights. IMO He was a freak. When 3 of us were hunting him to try n wear him down to possibly knock the "edge" off, we were never successful at doing it.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-19-2019 09:42 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Mine hunts at 2 miles per hour and trees coons. She just doesn't understand what's the big rush.

Old Post 12-19-2019 09:54 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote