UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting speed ?
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Hunting speed ?

When dogs are not struck what mph do you think a dog is being a thorough proficient hunter or having a run away ?

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-16-2019 05:39 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Hunting speed ?

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
When dogs are not struck what mph do you think a dog is being a thorough proficient hunter or having a run away ?

Tar

You can't just go off of speed alone. I've seen a dog hunt at 18 mph all night and hunt from close to far. And I've seen a dog hunt at 4 mph in a straight line. It all depends on how methodical the dog hunts. I like 1 to move at a minimum of 7-8 mph. But I'd sure own 1 like the extremely fast hunter any day. He hunted the area out, and could fly on track. But that type is far from common. And 7-8 is faster than most.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-16-2019 06:14 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Mph is a poor indicator on how proficient a dog is hunting ,terriran ,cover,scenting conditions, all have an effect,Garmin is a wonderful aide,but you can't see it all from the tailgate not even with Birdseye .....

Old Post 12-16-2019 06:15 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

What exactly is a run away? The dog running away or the coon?

Aim small miss small

Old Post 12-16-2019 06:27 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

A run away is my female about once a month would go amuck you would cut her loose and your Garmin looked like a gas pump rolling over by time I got in the pickup and drove 50 miles an hour she was splatted on the highway 1 1/2 miles away. I put up with that 8 yrs the female I got now is out of her on nights the coon ain’t moving she can be a pain in the butt too.

And the one I am hunting is 7yrs old I keep wondering when I am going to get one of them lazy rattler dogs I hear about I need one lol.

Tar

Old Post 12-16-2019 06:37 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
A run away is my female about once a month would go amuck you would cut her loose and your Garmin looked like a gas pump rolling over by time I got in the pickup and drove 50 miles an hour she was splatted on the highway 1 1/2 miles away. I put up with that 8 yrs the female I got now is out of her on nights the coon ain’t moving she can be a pain in the butt too.

And the one I am hunting is 7yrs old I keep wondering when I am going to get one of them lazy rattler dogs I hear about I need one lol.

Tar

So is this thread more about a close hunter then? Or is it actually about speed? I'm confused about this. But some dogs can hunt fast and be good, other can't. Speed is important but not the number 1 factor for me. Coon sense out weighs speed everyday.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 12-16-2019 08:09 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Eric just wanting to know how fast mph is unproductive.

Tar

Old Post 12-16-2019 08:13 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Eric just wanting to know how fast mph is unproductive.

Tar

Anything under the 4-5 range from turn loose to tree and I usually don't like the dog.

Old Post 12-16-2019 09:05 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Anything under the 4-5 range from turn loose to tree and I usually don't like the dog.

Depends on where I am hunting them but about 13 ish. I just found it on my Garmin. But when they hit openings which I don’t think they are being productive it goes way up.

Tar

Old Post 12-16-2019 09:16 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

A dog isn't gonna run 7-10mph thru the woods up here it's just too thick.

Not gonna drive a Suzuki thru either lol.

Old Post 12-16-2019 10:01 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joseph L.
UKC Forum Member

One of the most effective and fastest hunters I've ever seen and have walked behind on hundreds of trees with coons in them is a English mutt named "hardtime crow". I seen him cover a mile of open field and hit the woods with a coon in a matter of moments several times. He's a fast hunting SOB

Joe levan

Old Post 12-16-2019 10:07 PM
Joseph L. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph L. Click here to Send Joseph L. a Private Message Click Here to Email Joseph L. Find more posts by Joseph L. Add Joseph L. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
A dog isn't gonna run 7-10mph thru the woods up here it's just too thick.

Not gonna drive a Suzuki thru either lol.

Pecans and acorns are on now I ain’t hunting the jungle. My dogs don’t know how to act in open woods.

Tar

Old Post 12-16-2019 10:55 PM
V. Cannon
UKC Forum Member

I had one that I always knew that in 10 minutes she could be out of hearing when she struck and if it took 30 minutes to get struck she could be 5 miles down a creek. The farthest I had her go was 14 miles.
Most of the time she was struck and treed in less than 5 minutes.

Old Post 12-16-2019 11:34 PM
V. Cannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for V. Cannon Click here to Send V. Cannon a Private Message Find more posts by V. Cannon Add V. Cannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randywoodard2
UKC Forum Member

So Tar u saying u got one of those deep and lonely dogs?

Pr.Woodards Late Night Trix

Old Post 12-16-2019 11:51 PM
randywoodard2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for randywoodard2 Click here to Send randywoodard2 a Private Message Click Here to Email randywoodard2 Find more posts by randywoodard2 Add randywoodard2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randywoodard2
UKC Forum Member

Pr.Woodards Late Night Trix

Old Post 12-16-2019 11:51 PM
randywoodard2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for randywoodard2 Click here to Send randywoodard2 a Private Message Click Here to Email randywoodard2 Find more posts by randywoodard2 Add randywoodard2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

Mine just hunt with the pace car. Just passes you at the checkers....lol

Old Post 12-16-2019 11:54 PM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by randywoodard2

I plead the 5th lol.

Tar

Old Post 12-16-2019 11:58 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I imagine it can very in many ways from 1 collar to the next, territory and terrain on and on. 1 of my best is also 1 of the slowest on mph. She hustles around nice and sure enough isn't lazy. When other dogs run fast game she just trees coon behind them. She tracks as fast as she hunts normally without a loss or any trouble, locates fast and accurate. I wish she was faster but not to often ya find everything under 1 collar. This dog trees more coon under 1000 yards than any dog I ever hunted with in my years.

Old Post 12-17-2019 12:05 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Six mph is about 600 yds in 5 min. Can a dog really "hunt" that fast?

Old Post 12-17-2019 12:10 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert

My Garmin must be fibbin but I am electronically challenged.

Tar

Old Post 12-17-2019 12:16 AM
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert

2-3X that fast .......

Old Post 12-17-2019 12:36 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

6 miles per hour is one mile every 10 minutes. 880 yds in 5 minutes.

Old Post 12-17-2019 01:24 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Thats a tough one

In my experience most seem to hunt based on where they are turned out. If its in a field or trail, road. They seem to kick dirt. When cut loose in thick woods which I like to do they seem to pick there way more. I like to see a dog work through the woods and find coon as opposed to sprinting down a road to jump a hot one. I never understood why someone would turn down a road, when a road hold no scent. Not to say I don't ever do it, but its usually only when I want to see em go.

Old Post 12-17-2019 01:27 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Thats a tough one

quote:
Originally posted by Fisher13
In my experience most seem to hunt based on where they are turned out. If its in a field or trail, road. They seem to kick dirt. When cut loose in thick woods which I like to do they seem to pick there way more. I like to see a dog work through the woods and find coon as opposed to sprinting down a road to jump a hot one. I never understood why someone would turn down a road, when a road hold no scent. Not to say I don't ever do it, but its usually only when I want to see em go.

So you don't cut down old logging roads or cut in open fields?

How many prefer a dog to edge a field? And how many prefer a dog to just bust to the back 40? I'd say it depends where you hunt and what your coon population is and what they're feeding on. But I don't care what type of cover, weather conditions, or scenting conditions are. My dog better be moving faster the 4 or 5 mph. Speed is a factor in which I judge a dog. I don't like to be able to walk faster than the dog will hunt.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Last edited by novicane65 on 12-17-2019 at 01:45 AM

Old Post 12-17-2019 01:43 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Can you walk 1 mile in 10 min through the woods? That is 6 mph. If I turn my dog down the edge of a field or down a road, she better head out into the woods in less than 100 yds or she is going to get zapped.

Old Post 12-17-2019 02:26 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote