UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Can anyone else relate to this.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Can anyone else relate to this.

Over the years (55) my mode of operation was to get a pup out of a winning stud dog from winning family of dogs. I perhaps put more emphasis on the family behind the Sire of my pups but none the less the sire was an accomplish hound. Started in the late sixties with a young dog out of Houses Chief. Moved to breeding to Houses Tom Tom in the early seventies and progressed until today. The thin I wanted to mention today was. Many pups I got from good lines. Just did not make it here in the swamps as a coon Tree'er. But however as I look and see dogs throwing good pups and look at their pedigrees. I see well known dogs you couldn't give me another pup from. Being the grand sire of dog that seems to be reproducing well. I first noticed this with Mathis Carolina Casey years ago. I feel was a lot better positioned in a dogs pedigree as grand sire than as the sire.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-13-2022 03:56 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Sire & Grandsire

Bruce
I have been paying attention to this for about the last 12 to 15 years.
It always catches my eye for a Good Blooded Pup or Young Dog and what their Grandsire is.
Good Topic....👍👍
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 05-13-2022 04:14 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

We call it the grandsire effect. I notice it alot with Trackman dams. They seem to produce better than they themselves are. I see it with a few others too but this one as a whole.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 05-13-2022 04:28 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Actually the Trackman dam is what prompted my to write this. When I see something that catch's my eye. I check out the pedigree. Trackman Dams seem to be in a lot of them. Not putting dog down. But the direct sons (2) I had out of trackman. Just didnt want to go far enough in these Fl swamps.

Old Post 05-13-2022 05:10 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RedCreek Hunter
UKC Forum Member

I have had several nice outfits over the years that were heavy Lipper bred and even a couple Lipper grand pups. The ones that I had directly out of Lipper I didn’t care for nearly as well.

Old Post 05-13-2022 06:32 PM
RedCreek Hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RedCreek Hunter Click here to Send RedCreek Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by RedCreek Hunter Add RedCreek Hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I have seen similar results with cattle. Very mixed results. Some sires can't sire good sons but there grand sons are excellent. Others make excellent sons but there grand sons are nothing special. The combination of genetics goes on and on. I'm sure coonhounds are no different.

Old Post 05-13-2022 11:26 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
purgatoryblue
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Guy Orimston has written a lot on the subject of using dams, granddams,and etc. and back massing their blood in pedigrees. A lot of us "oldtimers" have thought for a long time about line breeding on specfic females and how strongly they influence a litter's performance. I've been guilty a long time of not heeding Mr. Ormiston's research and his articles on maintaining a particular strain by using females. I ,like a lot of others believed males were the way to go.

Old Post 05-13-2022 11:34 PM
purgatoryblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for purgatoryblue Click here to Send purgatoryblue a Private Message Find more posts by purgatoryblue Add purgatoryblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Personally, I think the Dam is more important than the Sire. I have seen females produce very good pups from every Sire they were bred to and were bred to several different Sites. I have noticed this for the past 50 plus years. I was never s breeder myself, but knew many guys that were and they bred their producing females to several different Sires and got good pups out of each litter. If I were a dog breeder, I would look for that female that produces good pups. Dave

Old Post 05-14-2022 03:14 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy Mathis
UKC Forum Member

breeding

Bruce,
The thoroughbred race horse owners do more research and spend more money on the art of breeding. You hardly ever see a horse being advertised in any manner which doesn't list the sire and dam and always the dam's sire ! Secretariat was known far more as a grand sire than a sire when it came to the breeding and we all know he is the greatest race horse ever.

Old Post 05-24-2022 03:06 AM
Andy Mathis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Mathis Click here to Send Andy Mathis a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy Mathis Find more posts by Andy Mathis Add Andy Mathis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I like to see the pedigree on my hunting dogs stacked with proven reproducers. I’ve heard it said that people will chase the latest and greatest titled dogs all over the country so they can flaunt a 7 generation pedigree full of titled dogs.

I could care less about the titles. It is really hard to find a really good line of hounds that reproduce above average hounds with some semblance of success.

There are very few people who have the means, fortitude and commitment to successfully breed a true line of above average hounds. It’s hard work, requires a certain degree of ruthlessness and a brutal honesty. First with themselves and then carrying over to those who buy hounds from them.

Old Post 05-24-2022 03:25 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DL NH
I like to see the pedigree on my hunting dogs stacked with proven reproducers. I’ve heard it said that people will chase the latest and greatest titled dogs all over the country so they can flaunt a 7 generation pedigree full of titled dogs.

I could care less about the titles. It is really hard to find a really good line of hounds that reproduce above average hounds with some semblance of success.

There are very few people who have the means, fortitude and commitment to successfully breed a true line of above average hounds. It’s hard work, requires a certain degree of ruthlessness and a brutal honesty. First with themselves and then carrying over to those who buy hounds from them.
[/QUOTE fact! truth be told

Old Post 05-24-2022 03:39 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

First let me say that I am not a breeder. If memory serves me right, in 60 years of coon hunting I have raised 2 litters. I do like to buy a good pup and start it. I look first for a female that has reproduced. Nothing scientific about this just my experience. Was told as a young man to look at Aunts and uncles. There is one thing about a pup out of a winning male dog: if there is something about it that doesn't suit you there will be someone who wants to buy it. So mostly I have purchased pups or young dogs out of reproducing females and Name Brand males. Has worked pretty good for me but I have never had a world champion just dogs that tree coon.

Old Post 05-24-2022 04:20 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

It seems when studying pedigrees…looking for a pedigree that has many grand night champions and world champions scattered throughout…buy a pup based on the pedigree to find that the pup does not meet expectations…

Common sense tells me that championship titles does not mean the titled dog is worthy of the title…the proof is in the offspring produced…

If titled dogs are a good representation of the best hunting dogs then over a short period of time the percentage of top quality pups should be high…

I think females are very important…I put more emphasis on the male on account he can produce more litters and I like that flexibility…

Old Post 05-25-2022 02:44 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote