UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Thermal
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

Thermal

I had an AGM TM25 before I had to quit for a while. I now have an AGM TM15 and don't like it as well. Others have said they like theres so am I doing something wrong. Thanks for any help.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-15-2022 01:55 AM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LOUIEH5
UKC Forum Member

Thermal

You having owned both, give us your pros or cons on each. Thanks

Old Post 05-17-2022 01:10 PM
LOUIEH5 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LOUIEH5 Click here to Send LOUIEH5 a Private Message Find more posts by LOUIEH5 Add LOUIEH5 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

I really liked my TM25 but hear it has been discontinued. Have not had the same success with the 15 but seems like everyone else likes them. Bruce told me I might need to do and update and I tried that but not being very good with computers I didn't get thru the process. I will have some one help me and see if that helps. It's not that the the 15 doesn't work but it seems harder to find the coon. Sometimes when I have seen the eyes I still don't get a reading on the thermal. May well be user error. I have made some setting changes and found 2 with it last night.

Old Post 05-17-2022 04:37 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LOUIEH5
UKC Forum Member

What settings did you change? Thanks for the come back, keep us up to date.

Old Post 05-17-2022 07:06 PM
LOUIEH5 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LOUIEH5 Click here to Send LOUIEH5 a Private Message Find more posts by LOUIEH5 Add LOUIEH5 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

My hunting buddy has a 15. It's great. When people started using these I said I didn't need one, I have a very accurate dog. He's found 4 coon with it that my dog treed that we wouldn't have found without it. So it seems the more accurate your dog is, the better they are. LOL

Old Post 05-18-2022 01:14 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

I own the 25 and have some buddies with the 15 and I’ve used theirs. To me the 25 is just better IMO.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 05-18-2022 06:06 AM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Options

Do the thermals come with an accurate hound option! If so how much?

Old Post 05-19-2022 02:46 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Options

quote:
Originally posted by Dan&Ann
Do the thermals come with an accurate hound option! If so how much?
I think the ad says "Accurate hound sold separately."

Old Post 05-19-2022 02:48 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ddowdy
New UKC Forum Member

testing

Old Post 05-19-2022 06:14 PM
Ddowdy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ddowdy Click here to Send Ddowdy a Private Message Find more posts by Ddowdy Add Ddowdy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

Ok guys, here are the adjustments I made on the 15. Hunted a few nights to see if it made a difference and it did. Not sure I like it quite as well as the 25 but I'm finding coon with it on a regular basis. Here is what I did:
adjusted the focus (somehow I had gotten it way out of focus, Set the Contrast Mode to 3 (about 60%) and set the Scene mode to Jungle. I use the Red Hot mode most of the time. Works best for me. With these settings it is working well. Will you find every coon? No. some trees you will be 99'% sure they missed and some will be hard enough to look at that you just won't know. Still I don't hunt without it.

Old Post 05-23-2022 04:59 PM
JMiller
UKC Forum Member

???

While talking about thermals. I am wondering how many and what states that they are legal to use while coon hunting? I was talking with some of our conversation officers about them and they couldnt tell me for certain until they checked to make sure they was giving me the correct answer. After checking they told me that is says in Alabama Regulations 220-2-.02 section (e) it is unlawful to possess any equipment that uses electronics to increase the ability to see in the dark while hunting any species of wildlife, both protected or unprotected species. So I understand that a lot of people use them, I just wondering how many know they are unlawful to use or if they are in there state ?

Old Post 05-23-2022 05:49 PM
JMiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JMiller Click here to Send JMiller a Private Message Click Here to Email JMiller Find more posts by JMiller Add JMiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Re: ???

quote:
Originally posted by JMiller
While talking about thermals. I am wondering how many and what states that they are legal to use while coon hunting? I was talking with some of our conversation officers about them and they couldnt tell me for certain until they checked to make sure they was giving me the correct answer. After checking they told me that is says in Alabama Regulations 220-2-.02 section (e) it is unlawful to possess any equipment that uses electronics to increase the ability to see in the dark while hunting any species of wildlife, both protected or unprotected species. So I understand that a lot of people use them, I just wondering how many know they are unlawful to use or if they are in there state ?

I would hunting and training/competing are considered different ? You are not using the thermal to take the coon, just find it. In Ohio they’re 1000’s of folks using thermal scopes to shoot coyotes. I would think me using a thermal monoculture would be ok, but I never checked the rules myself.

Old Post 05-24-2022 12:09 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by PreacherTom
Ok guys, here are the adjustments I made on the 15. Hunted a few nights to see if it made a difference and it did. Not sure I like it quite as well as the 25 but I'm finding coon with it on a regular basis. Here is what I did:
adjusted the focus (somehow I had gotten it way out of focus, Set the Contrast Mode to 3 (about 60%) and set the Scene mode to Jungle. I use the Red Hot mode most of the time. Works best for me. With these settings it is working well. Will you find every coon? No. some trees you will be 99'% sure they missed and some will be hard enough to look at that you just won't know. Still I don't hunt without it.

Tom, where did u make these settings at? Did u need to do this as a update type thing on line?

Old Post 05-24-2022 12:13 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
Tom, where did u make these settings at? Did u need to do this as a update type thing on line?

No all these settings are part of the thermal setup. Original instructions explain them. It's not really complicated at all.

Old Post 05-24-2022 12:18 AM