UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Proposal 12 - Scratched for Fighting
Should dogs be seen in the act of fighting or attempting to fight before scratching?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes, the judge should have to see dogs in the act. 69 57.02%
No, a competent judge knows what a fight sounds like without having to see it. 52 42.98%
Total: 121 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Wonder why it’s always the same people having to draw out and hunt with a mean dog? The mean ones are few and far between.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-25-2019 05:29 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I'm still trying to understand two dogs tied to a truck while shining a tree. Do some of you drive to trees?

Old Post 06-25-2019 10:53 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Here's how I see this.

Group 1) they have heartless gutless backpacking dogs that can't handle pressure of any kind and want tree jackers, blowers, and any dog that can win over there's scratched. I don't care for a true mean dog, never have and never will. They don't tend to make it here.

Group 2) this group likes mean dogs and prays on everyone else's dogs. And this type don't tend to be loners, they backpack more so than the typical cuz its how they win is to back a dog and run it off the tree. I hate type of dog and don't care much for the owners either.

Group 3) (my group)Dog doesn't take deal from others, but doesn't ever seem to fight anything unless teeth were applied to it. I don't want a mean dog. But I want 1 that doesn't take any deal from the rest of them. And honestly I like them to end the squabble fast and in a hurry. My Bildo dog I would definitely not put in the mean category. He would take some cheap but as soon as some teeth came in contact he ended it pretty quick only seen 2 dogs that he wouldn't tolerate on tree much. Both of those dogs would run other dogs off the tree. And I've got some good memories of the look on the handlers faces to those dogs when they couldn't run Bildo off a tree.

I know people are getting scratched for their dog defending itself, and honestly it happens more than most of want to admit. It won't effect me anyway this rule goes down. But I do happen to think you can't scratch a dog for a fight it didn't start. If you think that's right then you need to re-evaluate the sport if your choice. A dog defending itself doesn't mean a mean or aggressive dog. If you do then you fit in group 1.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 06-27-2019 01:31 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

👆Well said sir.

Old Post 06-27-2019 01:40 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
why change a rule for the worse to fix the wrong problem? You keep saying it yourself, the judge ( real doozie)
Even the fellows on here don't have the balls or knowledge to judge the MOCH HUNT. Yes boys scratch them both. No use standing there trying to figure out the aggressor. That's just clueless and stupid.

Ya your right I probably don't have the knowledge or kahunas to judge it but it just so happens I'm headed to PA this weekend. Not sure what your MOCH hunt is exactly but you arrange it and I'll give it a shot I'm sure I've judged bigger hunts than this.
Chey

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-27-2019 02:20 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

Re: Yes & No

quote:
Originally posted by Rolin Blues
If you have 4 dogs treeing on tree, you have to see which 2 dogs are involved. It usually is a 'bad break' for someone for that hunt, but as a handler of a 'clean' tree dog, you go home knowing it's not going to happen again any time soon.

If only 2 dogs on tree & fight breaks out, I would also give them 1 warning to see if I could figure out who aggressor was UNLESS they are both balled up when I walk in. If next tree has a fight with different dog, then you can figure out who aggressor in first incident probably was. Take care, Ron.

Here you go

Old Post 06-27-2019 02:25 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Chey
The MOCH HUNT is in the post. You can judge it from where your at. No one else could.

Your stupid for having both dogs together on a tailgate. If it wasn't during the duration of the hunt I don't care what they do. I guess if I'm judge and they did it under my authority after the card was given out they'd be scratched if the were actually fighting out, If not no interference can happen while on the leash so nothing would happen. The handlers may have been scratched before the dogs if y'all get along as well at a hunt as you do here.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-27-2019 04:20 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

This rule isn't grey in any way but I do not trust Joe blow that the local club has judging to be able to tell the difference in a dog fight and some blowing at a tree. There is also way to many ways to screw this up.

Chey, you mentioned earlier of a judge being able to basically scratch the whole cast with out seeing whats going on. They cant do that. In order for you to scratch 2 dogs for fighting you there can only be 2 dogs there and you must know without a doubt where the other dogs in the cast are. Lots of people miss that. You have to know for a fact there are only 2 dogs around that tree to scratch them.

I don't like this rule at all. Ukc should of never allowed it. Its not that it cant be done right because it can. The problem is 50% of the judges cant even right the scores on the card right and keep proper time. I'm not trusting them to scratch 2 dogs without seeing them fighting.

My dog trees with a steady chop then breaks loose with a bunch of screaming and squalling then back to chopping. It sounds like a war is going on in there. The thing is he sounds the exact same way by himself. I know that with this rule I'll run into a judge one day that will try to scratch him and that is just his tree style. Needs done away with.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-28-2019 01:28 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Your stupid for having both dogs together on a tailgate. If it wasn't during the duration of the hunt I don't care what they do. I guess if I'm judge and they did it under my authority after the card was given out they'd be scratched if the were actually fighting out, If not no interference can happen while on the leash so nothing would happen. The handlers may have been scratched before the dogs if y'all get along as well at a hunt as you do here.
chey I gave you to much credit and thought more of you. I been wrong before and now again. Carry on. I'm out

Old Post 06-28-2019 01:44 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I have only seen 10 mean dogs in 40 years there is a difference in a mean dog and one that just don’t like or agitated at anouther. Most of the ones I seen were back when we had non hunting judges on champion cast or mostly at higher level hunts. If you can see your dog is not wanting to get along with the other dogs in the cast you as a handler should withdraw and as a judge I will give you that oppertunity. But you force a mean dog on the cast and you think it’s cute you will be scratched.

But we also got to realize dogs are animals they sense things we do not and the will defend their self. I go through a lot of dogs to find the ones that just back up and get out of the way.

Tar

Old Post 06-28-2019 02:06 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chaz2012
Banned

Boy reading this thread has told me all I need to know about the Mafia team

Charlie Portwood Jr.

Old Post 06-28-2019 02:14 AM
chaz2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chaz2012 Click here to Send chaz2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email chaz2012 Find more posts by chaz2012 Add chaz2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, you can't tie your dog up close to another dog without it getting into a fight? What happens when you put it into a dogbox with another dog? Or what happens when another dog is treeing right beside him?

Old Post 06-28-2019 03:25 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

It is called common sense.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Old Post 06-28-2019 03:30 AM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, this is getting better than "The Young and the Restless" or "As The World Turns".

Old Post 06-28-2019 01:27 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

can we scratch handlers for fighting ? or do we have to see it !

Old Post 06-28-2019 01:57 PM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

This "poll" has been viewed 4,000 times but only 100 people have voted and it is a 50/50 tie on whether to change the rule or not.

Old Post 06-28-2019 01:59 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I have hunted in 500 UKC casts (just guessing but sounds about right) and I have never seen dogs get scratched for fighting that were not fighting. On the other hand, I have heard a lot of dogs that I thought were fighting that didn't get scratched. So, leave the rule alone or you will just have a bunch of light broke fighting dogs. Yes there is always the theoretical chance that a judge could scratch dogs that weren't really fighting but in the real world, it just doesn't happen. "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Old Post 06-28-2019 02:08 PM
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

T Felderman

Bring it on, this weekend in Wisc. There might be a little spur under the saddle waiting for you!! Or is that burr?? you figure it out!!!!! Take care, Ron.

Old Post 06-28-2019 04:47 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

Ive said it before i'll say it again ...
If you're ok with dogs fighting or want to fight dogs there are places underground you can do it . This is the sport of COONHUNTING . If you yourself want to fight there are places for that as well . Let the rest of us who want COONHUNT , COONHUNT and the ones who dont care to or have knowledge enough to break a problem dog , well , your possibly gonna get scratched . Its your dice to roll . It is what it is . Pack a clean dog you'll have a clean card.

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Old Post 06-28-2019 05:07 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Toad Hill

Truer words were never spoken. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 06-28-2019 06:19 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blue blue
UKC Forum Member

Im

Going to agree with Richard on this one. I been in several hunts in my 68 years and never seen dogs scratched from listening from a distance and only a very very few scratched when looking at them.

Old Post 06-28-2019 11:11 PM
blue blue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blue blue Click here to Send blue blue a Private Message Click Here to Email blue blue Find more posts by blue blue Add blue blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Very Well Stated

quote:
Originally posted by Toad Hill
Ive said it before i'll say it again ...
If you're ok with dogs fighting or want to fight dogs there are places underground you can do it . This is the sport of COONHUNTING . If you yourself want to fight there are places for that as well . Let the rest of us who want COONHUNT , COONHUNT and the ones who dont care to or have knowledge enough to break a problem dog , well , your possibly gonna get scratched . Its your dice to roll . It is what it is . Pack a clean dog you'll have a clean card.

100% Agreed.

Old Post 06-30-2019 03:45 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Re: Aggressive Dogs or Dishonest Judges

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
The innocent dog has a choice when attacked of either giving ground, fighting back, or leaving the tree. A lot of young dogs don't realize that they can backup and stay. They view it as fight or flight situation. My dogs first encounter with an aggressive dog is probably at a competition hunt as I won't knowing hunt with one.
When you hear a fight and discover bloody dogs it could be two aggressive dogs, but it could be that one dog refused to leave the tree and the innocent dog fought in self defense.

There isn't a perfect solution, but it is time to quit penalizing the innocent and identify the crooked judge and aggressive dog. And I don't just mean taking it to the Master Of Hounds. I encourage you to file a written report with UKC so that the parties in question have a record on file for when they do it again.

IF YOU NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION THEN ARE PROBABLY THE PROBLEM. Ken Risley

This rule needs changed to take away one tool that the dishonest hunting judge uses to eliminate the competition by scratching or giving undesired minus points. The Master of Hounds is going to side with the Crooked Judge if the cast vote is 2 to 2. I have personal experience with this at the 2018 Marshalltown, Ill. Zone hunt where the Judge refused to walk 20 feet to observe the two dogs.

Old Post 09-24-2019 09:28 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Observing Aggression before Scratching

Has UKC made a final ruling on this??

Old Post 09-29-2019 11:44 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
why change a rule for the worse to fix the wrong problem? You keep saying it yourself, the judge ( real doozie)
Even the fellows on here don't have the balls or knowledge to judge the MOCH HUNT. Yes boys scratch them both. No use standing there trying to figure out the aggressor. That's just clueless and stupid.

What is a MOCH HUNT?

Such a big deal I've never heard of it.

Old Post 09-29-2019 03:30 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote