UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > Getting a dog back in shape
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TEnncooner1
UKC Forum Member

Getting a dog back in shape

I bought a female that’s did a lot of winning in her time she just turned 5 but hasn’t been hunted much in a year I’ve been hunting her but she don’t seem like she’s getting any better shape wise like getting hot not treeing very good cause she’s hot ive started out slow and not trying to blow her up she’s really accurate but after a couple trees she’s wore out I know in this heat it’s tough on a dog especially on that’s been sitting in the pen any help appreciated she is fat and out of shape

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-22-2019 05:01 PM
TEnncooner1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TEnncooner1 Click here to Send TEnncooner1 a Private Message Click Here to Email TEnncooner1 Find more posts by TEnncooner1 Add TEnncooner1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

Get her checked for tick bourne diseases,, heart worms and thyroid. If she is clean, your path forward should be more clear.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 09-22-2019 08:17 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kordog
UKC Forum Member

it takes atleast three weeks to get bear hounds in top shape with running and healing up mixed in .that's with running all day lots of times.so if you take a coondog out for a few hours a night lets say that's been siting in the pen ,and are over weight in the heat to boot.i think your expectations are a little high.if a dog is fat it is because they are overfed even in a kennel.adjusting their intake to their activity level is one key to the health of a dog.if the dog has health problems that will certainly rob performance.try cutting back to a cup of real good high quality dogfood a day.believe me your hound wont die of starvation despite what some think lol.do this for a week while hunting.a hounds prey drive will usually increase if they aren't so full.do an assessment on your hound after the week,and adjust accordingly.lots of clean water goes without saying.

Old Post 09-23-2019 10:46 AM
kordog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kordog Click here to Send kordog a Private Message Click Here to Email kordog Find more posts by kordog Add kordog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote