UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Is Coon Hunting Results Oriented.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Is Coon Hunting Results Oriented.

We all look for results in our lives. Then we hang success on those results. Many times the results can be looked at and examined and you realize they are not the results you should be getting. Or many mistakes that go unnoticed took place to get those results. Many mistakes are noticed but are overlooked.

Now that I have you confused. How many really understand that when our dogs strike a feeding coon track and many, many times it is more than one coon at the point the dog strikes. The one he first opened on may have headed north but the one he tries to follow or swaps off on went south. How many times is your dog trailing one coon and swaps off on a hotter coon. We all talk about dogs falling off a deer track and treeing a coon. Don't hear much about a dog falling off one coon track and treeing another one. Since most never realize a dog swaps tracks or even cares. The next most important part of the game is TREEING a Real Live Coon. Here is where we as hunters have messed up. Most are just happy with a tree. A tree without a coon in it is nothing to smile about. It is nothing to take no action on. It is nothing to make you feel you have anything close to a coon hound on your leash. This is the part of the hunt that you as the Hunter can evaluate and act upon. This is the part of the hunt that allows you to determine if you have the right dog or not. Why do hunters close their eyes and fool themselves when it comes to the dog having a coon in the tree. We cry for days about a rule that may make it harder for a cast to be won. We cry about how a rule might make you walk an extra half mile. When the truth is you walk miles to slick treeing dogs and then smile about it. Only to pet them and think you have a coon dog. I guess in coon hunting it is OK to fool yourself, just don't let your buddy or his dog cause you any pain. Even if it is a coon dog and has the meat.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 09-11-2019 at 01:16 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-11-2019 01:12 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I couldn’t win a 1 dog hunt right now if I was the only one in it. I have not hunted much this summer it is just been unbearably hot you get to the woods when is just barley dark and hit bad cold tracks. If you battle through it and about midnight the coons start moving if I ain’t got mad and quit by then. Got a good crop of pecans this year and the coons need it it’s so dry they are already eating hackberries. Bruce you go to the pay window for the strike and the meat in the tree at the end what’s in the middle don’t count as long as they do it ahead of the other dogs.

Tar

Old Post 09-11-2019 01:24 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

Re: Is Coon Hunting Results Oriented.

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
We all look for results in our lives. Then we hang success on those results. Many times the results can be looked at and examined and you realize they are not the results you should be getting. Or many mistakes that go unnoticed took place to get those results. Many mistakes are noticed but are overlooked.

Now that I have you confused. How many really understand that when our dogs strike a feeding coon track and many, many times it is more than one coon at the point the dog strikes. The one he first opened on may have headed north but the one he tries to follow or swaps off on went south. How many times is your dog trailing one coon and swaps off on a hotter coon. We all talk about dogs falling off a deer track and treeing a coon. Don't hear much about a dog falling off one coon track and treeing another one. Since most never realize a dog swaps tracks or even cares. The next most important part of the game is TREEING a Real Live Coon. Here is where we as hunters have messed up. Most are just happy with a tree. A tree without a coon in it is nothing to smile about. It is nothing to take no action on. It is nothing to make you feel you have anything close to a coon hound on your leash. This is the part of the hunt that you as the Hunter can evaluate and act upon. This is the part of the hunt that allows you to determine if you have the right dog or not. Why do hunters close their eyes and fool themselves when it comes to the dog having a coon in the tree. We cry for days about a rule that may make it harder for a cast to be won. We cry about how a rule might make you walk an extra half mile. When the truth is you walk miles to slick treeing dogs and then smile about it. Only to pet them and think you have a coon dog. I guess in coon hunting it is OK to fool yourself, just don't let your buddy or his dog cause you any pain. Even if it is a coon dog and has the meat.

The older i get the steeper these hills get. Im in very thin coon and rough country. Im NOT walking to a dog over and over with a habit of slick treeing. Life is too short and all this time away from our familys spent in woods IS NOT worth walking to a slick treeing "treed dog " . I LOVE a HUGE mouth hard classy treedog BUT what do u have if he dont have the meat ? Accuracy is EVERYTHING !

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Old Post 09-11-2019 03:15 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

What about the hound that sits and spins its wheels trying to figure out which end of the track its suppose to run? Some of those empty trees are because a useless track dog has gone the wrong way on the track and locked up treed on the tree the coon came out of!! It happens more often than many realize or are willing to admit.

Old Post 09-11-2019 03:24 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I am harder in judging my dogs than some people. I really believe I know every fault my dog has and he has plenty. I know that when the leaves are on you can't find every coon but I feel like every tree I don't find one in is slick. I know that's not true because in the winter he is very accurate but I still think if it;s there I should see it. One thing is if they are getting treed quick without me finding the coon is different than when they have worked the track to the best of their ability and then take a chance on a tree (and my dog does) I can put up with that a little better. Isn't it aggravating that just a few little changes and your dog would be all you want it to be but you (or at least I) can't bring those changes about.

Old Post 09-11-2019 05:26 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
I am harder in judging my dogs than some people. I really believe I know every fault my dog has and he has plenty. I know that when the leaves are on you can't find every coon but I feel like every tree I don't find one in is slick. I know that's not true because in the winter he is very accurate but I still think if it;s there I should see it. One thing is if they are getting treed quick without me finding the coon is different than when they have worked the track to the best of their ability and then take a chance on a tree (and my dog does) I can put up with that a little better. Isn't it aggravating that just a few little changes and your dog would be all you want it to be but you (or at least I) can't bring those changes about.

Mr.Tom we see things alot alike...if I can't see it, it's probably not there.

Old Post 09-11-2019 06:59 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Re: Is Coon Hunting Results Oriented.

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey

good post Bruce and to point. older I get the harder iam to please any more. believe I will just start hunting for others and quit trying to please me.. Be a lot easer . I will cull one in a heart beat .

Old Post 09-11-2019 09:34 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Is Coon Hunting Results Oriented.

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH
good post Bruce and to point. older I get the harder iam to please any more. believe I will just start hunting for others and quit trying to please me.. Be a lot easer . I will cull one in a heart beat .

I'm not that old and I do the same thing. Usually its over a major fault that I can't live with and most can't ( not going hunting)

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 09-11-2019 10:21 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Mr Conkey, as a business man I would have expected you to have taken a less controversial stance as to the definition of a coon dog.

You see those so called whiners you are referring to are "in some cases" very much like TRUMP supporters. You know the ones once called deplorable. They too are staunch supporters of a set of requirements set forth by the founding Fathers of competition coon hunting, much like those in support of the 2nd Amendment. These very same fundamental HOUND characteristics that these (so called Whiners) are voicing concern over, is much like the position so many good American Patriots have taken in reference to the 2nd Amendment rights to keep and bare arms

They are taking a stand on what traits a HOUND should have, and not wanting to see the competition guru's change traits of a HOUND just to make it easier to win a hunt.

Those very same people (those so called whiners) equal at least 30 percent of a market of which YOU depend on.

Since you suggested we are results driven in order to be successful, why would you care how many empty trees another man walks to. As long as his tree is empty, you are still going to beat him in competition, so long as your dog makes no mistakes, and as a handler you yourself also makes no mistakes. The more trees he walks to, the more boots you sell, the more lights you sell, and the list goes on and on.

Maybe I missed the point of your intention of this post, and please forgive me if I did, but I don't take kindly to someone trying to belittle me because I have a different opinion as to the direction of what/how a HOUND is to operate.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 09-11-2019 10:31 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Rocket man I didn’t get offended by word he said. If the shoe fits wear it. Besides he didn’t mention your name or mine for that matter. Suck it up.

Old Post 09-11-2019 10:41 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

If as you say, most coon hunters are satisfied with a tree and don't really care if there is a coon in it is it any wonder there are so many slick treeing hounds out there??

I've said for years that before any hound, wether coon hound or beagle, gets a champion degree it should have to be seen solo in the field by a licensed judge bringing its game to the gun. Be that in a tree, circled as in a hare/rabbit or bayed up like a hog.

Do that and the Champion population will dwindle dramatically and the champion degree will have far greater meaning.

Old Post 09-12-2019 12:01 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
elvis
UKC Forum Member

scratch them dogs for treeing obvious slicks and watch the accuracy improve drasticly.

they scratch them for treeing off game. should be the same for slicks.

I say try it at a major event and have a panel on standby to
go and look at trees in question and barr the ones that voted to scratch on a legit circle tree or barr whoever made the panel go look at an obvious slick, id say six mnths on the sidelines would have them voting more honestly in the future

you know it could be done

Old Post 09-12-2019 02:21 AM
elvis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for elvis Click here to Send elvis a Private Message Find more posts by elvis Add elvis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Slick treeing is the main thing I wanted to see addressed in the rule changes. It was avoided like the plague.

Old Post 09-12-2019 02:35 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
I know that when the leaves are on you can't find every coon but I feel like every tree I don't find one in is slick.

I am new to the game but it burns my a$$ when I can't find the coon. I've got a young dog that I am trying to train right and I want to see the meat in the tree. To me that is a measure of success and a reflection on my training of the hound.

Iraq War Vet 03-04, 05-06
RECON
618-410-3034

Old Post 09-12-2019 03:59 AM
Nathan Harder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Harder Click here to Send Nathan Harder a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Harder Find more posts by Nathan Harder Add Nathan Harder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Is Coonhunting Results Oriented

That depends on how you measure results.

If I go deer hunting and see 20 deer, but bring back none, did I have a successful result?

If I go fishing and see 20 fish, but bring back none, did I have a successful result?

If I go coonhunting, and see 20 coon, but bring back none, did I have a successful result?

Sometimes, no tangible results, but a nice day or night is a success for me. Other times, it is not. It depends on my objective for that day or night.

Old Post 09-12-2019 04:26 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldsouth123
UKC Forum Member

Elvis

I can't see them minusing a tree,one of the k.c.'s has already declared that you can't minus a dog for treeing fowl.If a turkey is not trash,pray tell what could be.At least possums and squirrels climb trees.If you can't minus a turkey why would you minus a slick tree.There must be something to that because you can hardly get them to minus a tree no matter how questionable it is.I'm sure when you're pleasure hunting ,if your dog tree's a turkey it's alright because he won't get minus.It would be nice if they had night hunt rules to fit a coonhunting dog.Hunters that have been around know the difference.

Old Post 09-12-2019 05:13 AM
oldsouth123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oldsouth123 Click here to Send oldsouth123 a Private Message Find more posts by oldsouth123 Add oldsouth123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Re: Is Coonhunting Results Oriented

quote:
Originally posted by honalieh
That depends on how you measure results.

If I go deer hunting and see 20 deer, but bring back none, did I have a successful result?

If I go fishing and see 20 fish, but bring back none, did I have a successful result?

If I go coonhunting, and see 20 coon, but bring back none, did I have a successful result?

Sometimes, no tangible results, but a nice day or night is a success for me. Other times, it is not. It depends on my objective for that day or night.

I see what your saying. An I understand a dog can have an off night.i don’t believe we putting how many we harvest in the equation here. If my dog stricks a track an trees I plan on seeing a coon when I get there. Yes dogs will miss. If I walk to any slick trees my success rate is no good for that night. I soon for him to keep his mouth shut if he can’t show me the evidence when I get to the tree.

Old Post 09-12-2019 09:48 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

To some degree, dogs that slick tree a high percentage of the time can be blamed on the handler/trainer.

I got to where I didn't praise my dogs up or encourage them to tree until AFTER I found the coon. Some dogs don't need much of any encouragement or praise when they tree. Others the praise seems to be an encouragement. If I was certain the tree was empty I just snapped on the lead and led them away with no praise.

In today's world with the collars we have now, a good trainer with a good collar has options we didn't once have. That same collar in the hands of a poor trainer will ruin a hound in short order.

In the end I will always want the naturally born accurate tree dog and even those will miss occasionally. When I see the perfect hound I'll expect to find the perfect handler on the other end of the leash! Good luck with that!

Old Post 09-12-2019 12:14 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I agree with a lot of what you said Dan
For me I would also add that I don't like blowing on a sqauller beating on the tree or shaking vines till I have already found the coon at least while I'm training and if someone is going along for a hunt with me while I'm training I expect them to do the same or we won't be training together long.
Trainer/handler has a lot to do with accuracy.
Dens are also leashed and walk away no petting.

Old Post 09-12-2019 02:09 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

I had female that was around 70% accurate. But fast as could be and first and first kinda dog super hard flashy tree dog but she got tick fever never was same. So I told buddy I was goin find something super accurate. And I have but I had give up some speed and lost little bit quickness on strike but he somewhere in 90% range on accuracy. And just steady stay put treedog nothing fancy. But I win more with steady honest hound that gets little to no minus and has coon when he parks. Takes stress out handling and its simple. Not mention lots more enjoyable to pleasure hunt.

There are a few world class hounds that are fast and accurate blow down tree dogs. But most time you have to decide what's most important to you and give up something to get it get something.

And I cant wait for leaves to get off.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 09-12-2019 04:01 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sonnyr
UKC Forum Member

I started coonhunting about 1965. I can tell you that few hounds in this area would tree period. The ones that did were very accurate because the hunters would find the coon if it was there, sometimes by climbing the tree or waiting until daylight. Blank tree dogs were culled quickly.
I don't many of us want to go back to the day that it was so hard to find tree dog . I think each hunter should enjoy what you hunt or get something different and let the other person decide what they like. If you are worried about the type of pups being produced go hunt with parents

Old Post 09-12-2019 08:07 PM
sonnyr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sonnyr Click here to Send sonnyr a Private Message Click Here to Email sonnyr Find more posts by sonnyr Add sonnyr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote