UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How long to hunt your pregnant dog?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mike Stewart
UKC Forum Member

How long to hunt your pregnant dog?

When do you all stop hunting your pregnant hounds before they
are due to have pups?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-04-2020 03:25 PM
Mike Stewart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Stewart Click here to Send Mike Stewart a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Stewart Find more posts by Mike Stewart Add Mike Stewart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Most of time they will let you know. They get worn out quickly and ya just know it's time to let them rest

Old Post 10-04-2020 08:57 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

It can depend on whether they're having 2 pups or 14.

Old Post 10-05-2020 12:22 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy212
UKC Forum Member

If at all possible I hunt her until she has about two weeks to go during cooler months. Usually just one drop.

Old Post 10-05-2020 03:14 AM
Andy212 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy212 Click here to Send Andy212 a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy212 Find more posts by Andy212 Add Andy212 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

With the cool weather and coons usually not running for many hours I would hunt her as much as she wanted until she slows down or until she doesn’t want to hunt which is close to the due date...or to be safe stop 1 week before the due date...

I believe hunting the Dam as long as possible during gestation is beneficial to the pups...the puppies environment is constantly changing based on what the Dam is doing...winding, trailing, treeing and fighting coons...This type of activity from the gyp is better for the pups than a pregnant gyp sitting in a kennel until pups are whelped and weaned...

Read Epigenetic articles...

Old Post 10-06-2020 02:35 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

I agree

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
With the cool weather and coons usually not running for many hours I would hunt her as much as she wanted until she slows down or until she doesn’t want to hunt which is close to the due date...or to be safe stop 1 week before the due date...

I believe hunting the Dam as long as possible during gestation is beneficial to the pups...the puppies environment is constantly changing based on what the Dam is doing...winding, trailing, treeing and fighting coons...This type of activity from the gyp is better for the pups than a pregnant gyp sitting in a kennel until pups are whelped and weaned...

Read Epigenetic articles...

I agree, and have done exactly as said above. And, during the weaning process, I've taken a nursing female hunting, and put them back with the pups when we got home. You just have to be careful. Of course, the female I did this with was my #1 dog, and I didn't like going hunting without her!!! That was the best litter I've raised, but I think it had more to do with the ability of the female than the process.

Old Post 10-06-2020 05:11 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote