UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Swimming,running,exercising hounds
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
anne95
UKC Forum Member

Swimming,running,exercising hounds

How do you prefer to exercise your hounds?If you can please post pictures of your set up!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-27-2014 05:48 PM
anne95 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for anne95 Click here to Send anne95 a Private Message Find more posts by anne95 Add anne95 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigtimberkennel
UKC Forum Member

I got a place to let 'em run loose but mostly HUNT 'EM.

Old Post 01-27-2014 07:32 PM
bigtimberkennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigtimberkennel Click here to Send bigtimberkennel a Private Message Find more posts by bigtimberkennel Add bigtimberkennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CSnowgren
UKC Forum Member

Exercise them in a manner that closely simulates your intended work performance during the event. If a powerlifter is preparing for an event, he isn't out running long distances. Simulate the same anaerobic/aerobic activity.

Old Post 01-27-2014 11:53 PM
CSnowgren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CSnowgren Click here to Send CSnowgren a Private Message Find more posts by CSnowgren Add CSnowgren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Burton
UKC Forum Member

Put em in the woods HUNT THEM. Lol

Old Post 01-28-2014 12:29 AM
T Burton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Burton Click here to Send T Burton a Private Message Find more posts by T Burton Add T Burton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CSnowgren
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by T Burton
Put em in the woods HUNT THEM. Lol

Yup, in a nutshell. When you can't get them to woods because of weather, etc for extended periods and you still want to keep them peaked, simulate the same style of work.

Old Post 01-28-2014 01:34 AM
CSnowgren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CSnowgren Click here to Send CSnowgren a Private Message Find more posts by CSnowgren Add CSnowgren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Burton
UKC Forum Member

Sorry I keep forgetting ya fellers are up north hardly nothin stoping us here but lightning and a few tornadoes plenty of wind but you can have a garmin hunt just won't hear them

Old Post 01-28-2014 01:39 AM
T Burton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Burton Click here to Send T Burton a Private Message Find more posts by T Burton Add T Burton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CSnowgren
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Sorry I keep forgetting ya fellers are up north hardly nothin stoping us here but lightning and a few tornadoes plenty of wind but you can have a garmin hunt just won't hear them

-2 degrees right now. Makes coon'n a bit tough.

Old Post 01-28-2014 01:47 AM
msinc
Banned

I run my dogs during the day in the woods behind my house. I have a lot of old logging roads I kept bush hogged and open. I drive either my Gator or my daughters 4 wheeler. You should be careful though. If you want them to hunt close don't do too much fast running on the 4 wheeler...it seems to make them run big when you start hunting them.
I start out with a new puppy just walking. When he gets the idea it's fun to walk around the woods as opposed to layin' around the kennel then I start to really make 'em run. It don't take long to build muscle tone if you do this once a day for about an hour and a half. I picked up a new pup about two months ago and when we first started out with the four wheeler he couldn't begin to keep up with my Jack Russell {that's been doing this for years"} Now the pup is 5 months old, about 4 times the Jack's size and easily leaves him behind.
The only thing about it is that once you start running them they want to do it all the time. My dogs will go for an hour long run with me on the four wheeler as many times a day as I will take them. At this point there is no wearing them down. Good luck.

Old Post 01-28-2014 03:51 AM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
anne95
UKC Forum Member

I hunt about 3+ nights a week when the weather and work allow..just thought I should try to always keep them in shape during the periods I cannot hunt

Old Post 01-28-2014 07:04 AM
anne95 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for anne95 Click here to Send anne95 a Private Message Find more posts by anne95 Add anne95 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

fenced in yard I just let them play with each other, they teach themselves the rest

Old Post 01-28-2014 09:27 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

quote:

Now that is funny but true.

Old Post 01-28-2014 09:31 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maves 22
UKC Forum Member

Roading

I hunt 3-5 nights when the weather lets me. I'll road them as well when i'm working on other dogs. Start with about a 3 mile run once they get used to that i've roaded them up to 10 miles with a few brakes. I've got a long gravel road near my house that works great. I've also roaded them between drops if its not a long ways away.

Grnitch'Pr' Like no Dawn J

Grnitch Pr' Maves' Nightmare Ms. Monster 2012 Top 100

Grnitch GRCH'Pr' Rebels War Cry 2015 Top 100

'Pr' M&S' Big Rig

'Pr' M&S' War Smoke

Cody Maves
715 579 2187

Old Post 01-28-2014 05:53 PM
Maves 22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maves 22 Click here to Send Maves 22 a Private Message Click Here to Email Maves 22 Find more posts by Maves 22 Add Maves 22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RandRHolcomb
UKC Forum Member

A lot of people teach them to run on a treadmill they it's easy to get them to do it but I don't know personally

Old Post 01-29-2014 12:59 AM
RandRHolcomb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RandRHolcomb Click here to Send RandRHolcomb a Private Message Click Here to Email RandRHolcomb Find more posts by RandRHolcomb Add RandRHolcomb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kris Cisna
UKC Forum Member

When these types of threads come up, it is the same with nutrition, the mindset of throw some dog food and hunt them seems to be the "only" answer.

You folks should realize some folks like working there dogs for the simple joy of working a dog on top of general activities.

Work a dog more than just hunting and you will see something great.

Old Post 01-29-2014 01:40 AM
Kris Cisna is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kris Cisna Click here to Send Kris Cisna a Private Message Click Here to Email Kris Cisna Find more posts by Kris Cisna Add Kris Cisna to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DA CHEMIST
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Kris Cisna
When these types of threads come up, it is the same with nutrition, the mindset of throw some dog food and hunt them seems to be the "only" answer.

You folks should realize some folks like working there dogs for the simple joy of working a dog on top of general activities.

Treadmill....

Old Post 01-29-2014 05:59 PM
DA CHEMIST is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DA CHEMIST Click here to Send DA CHEMIST a Private Message Click Here to Email DA CHEMIST Visit DA CHEMIST's homepage! Find more posts by DA CHEMIST Add DA CHEMIST to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
masonman1974
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Fisher13
fenced in yard I just let them play with each other, they teach themselves the rest

ditto,i have fenced in lot 1200 square feet ,I turned my male and female lose in there today and they played hard for 5 hours ,when I put them back on their chains both went straight to dog house and collapsed ,lol,wore out

Old Post 01-30-2014 12:00 AM
masonman1974 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for masonman1974 Click here to Send masonman1974 a Private Message Click Here to Email masonman1974 Visit masonman1974's homepage! Find more posts by masonman1974 Add masonman1974 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
anne95
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Kris Cisna

this is what I meant,I enjoy spending time with them outside of hunting

Old Post 01-31-2014 02:16 AM