UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Gardening Thread
Pages (18): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I threw 4 🍅s away last wk. They were rotten on the bottom. probably not going to get any because of the fungus. IF we have a garden next yr, we'll have to move it.
Blueberries r almost over, Lodi apples are falling. We've given them to my mom, Chuck's mom and sister and a couple of friends. Still lots left. 6 deer were under the tree munching on them before dark tonight.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-08-2016 03:01 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Our cucumbers look pathetic The deer ate almost all their leaves off. Last night, we picked 🍅s and had sandwiches for supper getting some peppers and zucchini now, too. Have a few decent looking cantaloupes and 🍉 coming...hope nothing gets them.

Chuck planted turnips in his food plots on Wednesday. $5 a lb for deer food. We haven't ckd the trail cameras for a wk. Going to move one out here to see what's eating all the apples and peaches in the orchard. Last night, 2 8pts were out there.

Old Post 08-13-2016 04:45 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

HELLO, ANYONE OUT THERE?

Yesterday we had 🍅s, green peppers, and cucumbers out of the garden for lunch. Have some yellow zucchini that need picked, probably cook them on the grill today.

Old Post 08-14-2016 05:28 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

All I am getting right now is cherry tomatoes and okra. Oh and weeds!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-14-2016 11:52 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We have lots of weeds, too. Chuck picked a cantolope today. I picked over a doz cucumbers: saved a couple for us and split the rest between 2 neighbors. Doubt we'll get many more because we only have vines, deer ate most the leaves.

Old Post 08-15-2016 12:16 AM
yadkintar
Banned

All my tomatoes are getting ripe at the same time letting the rest go going to pull it up get ready to plant turnips and beets.

Old Post 08-15-2016 12:21 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hayseedlady
UKC Forum Member

Mators are coming on now, along with the peppers & hot peppers. Yea salsa & Okie salad with the cukes! Taters are in a weedy mess, smh. Zucchini took a drift of 24D but is coming out of it.

Woke up last weekend to my onions & garlic tilled up. Still not sure why that happeneday but it did.

Old Post 08-15-2016 01:09 AM
Hayseedlady is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hayseedlady Click here to Send Hayseedlady a Private Message Click Here to Email Hayseedlady Find more posts by Hayseedlady Add Hayseedlady to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Ok....just so u all know, I've never ate OKRA. I did a search on it though...I think it would grow here, I'll have to check it out better. What does it taste like? And no one better say CHICKEN! LOL

Eating tomatoes every day and giving yellow squash away. Just finished r first cantaloupe and it was yummy 😋 Have a few green peppers, too.

Got lots of pictures of deer eating🍎s off the trees some while standing on their hind legs. Have a few nice bucks around. Chuck's turnips are coming up nice, so hopefully that will keep them around in the fall.

Old Post 08-17-2016 04:34 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Ridge
Ok....just so u all know, I've never ate OKRA.

You have been missing out! I think it would grow about anywhere so give it a try. The key is to pick it when it's just a few inches long or it gets tough and woody. I just slice it up and roll in cornmeal w/ seasonings and deep fry. Also awesome pickled.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-18-2016 03:26 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hayseedlady
UKC Forum Member

I grew some for a friend's Mom a couple of years. Just eh on it. Very easy to grow & pick. Not one of my favorite veggies.

Old Post 08-18-2016 03:55 AM
Hayseedlady is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hayseedlady Click here to Send Hayseedlady a Private Message Click Here to Email Hayseedlady Find more posts by Hayseedlady Add Hayseedlady to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Maybe next yr.

Old Post 08-18-2016 04:30 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Chuck's parents came up today because his dad wanted to check out r 🍉. Chuck told him yesterday we had a bunch of them and one was almost as big as my FIL's. He had to c it for himself We've been eating cantaloupe and 🍅s everyday.

Old Post 08-28-2016 05:16 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Stopped and bought a 45lb watermelon from a boy with a road side stand by their farm today. I've iced it down to have after dinner tonight at my momma' s house and gonna save some seeds to see if I can get them to grow for next year.
Good news I've finally convinced Chey to let me have a big garden here in the yard next year. This is a big deal for him, he has a thing for trying to grow grass to mow lol. He put one stipulation, I've got to put a nice fence around it not like the hillbilly structure like I have around my little garden now. With pups always running loose and over abundance of rabbits a fence is a must anyway.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-28-2016 11:06 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I was in our garden tonight, what a bunch of weeds but I picked an orange pepper and 3 zucchinis. Cabbage looks decent, a tomato jungle, and lots of watermelon. As soon as I finish the one I bought, we're going to pick one.

Old Post 08-29-2016 02:34 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Anybody put out a fall garden? After not producing like it normally does I should be ready to give up lol but really thinking on pulling some seeds and putting in a few things for fall.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 09-10-2016 12:34 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Not here. Just told Chuck, I looked at extended forecast and by the end of the month lows will be in the high 30's 😞 I've only been camping with the horse 5 nights this yr. Was hoping to make up for it this month, but I don't have a furnace in my trailer so unless I can get an electric site, I won't be going.
Darn deer came in and helped themselves to one of my biggest cabbages. My peppers didn't do much, but giving 🍅s and zucchinis away. Gave a few cantaloupes away earlier, but they're just about over. Chuck picked a nice big 🍉 that wasn't ripe yet so he threw it away. Still have a few, but now he's afraid to pick them.

Old Post 09-10-2016 01:40 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Rex Ridge glad your garden did some producing. I wish mine would have did a little more this is the first time mom and I haven't canned. I did do a few beets and she got enough corn to freeze but usually we do lots of green beans and tomatoes, salsa and an assortment of other veggies. I was thinking on starting some cabbage, lettuce, carrots , may be some more beets and trying some broccoli out. It would take some work to get it done so it will depend on time but I've got the seeds.
I would imagine you would have to have some cold frames up there to get much through the winter. Around here you just never know in January it may be 70 one day and ice or snow storm the next then warm again.
Hope you get some more camping in, we have some friends down here that trail ride and camp with their horses.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 09-10-2016 04:30 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Chuck picked a 36lb 🍉 today! He said there's at least 8 more. His friend told him to freeze it. Anyone ever try that?

Do ur friends ever come to PA riding? There are several places around here to camp.

Old Post 09-19-2016 02:42 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Ridge
Chuck picked a 36lb 🍉 today! He said there's at least 8 more. His friend told him to freeze it. Anyone ever try that?

Do ur friends ever come to PA riding? There are several places around here to camp.

That is a big watermelon! That one I bought from the boy selling was that big, something diamond was the kind I believe. I saved some seeds from it gonna see if I can grow some next summer. I am thinking of having dad fence me off a little place down by the spring for some melons. I did finally get all the weeds pulled from my little garden and the okra is still growing I'm having to bend down the tips to pick them they are well over 8ft tall, the cherry tomatoes are growing like mad but everything else is about done. I did get ONE beautiful solar flare tomato, they are red w/ gold looking stripes it's was one of the best I've ever eaten I wish it could have produced lol. I am going to go ahead and plant some more lettuce this week I think it will be up good before it frost.
Most of the rides they go on are down here in the Ozarks, NE OK, SW MO and NW AR.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 09-19-2016 05:06 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Thought I'd ck on my cabbage, was hoping to have some for supper. The deer ate half or over half of every one of them!! Ate my pepper plants, too. They left me 4 big red nice peppers. 🍅s r all dead so except for a few watermelon, the garden is over. Think Chuck wants to plant wheat for the deer there. My 6MM Mohawk will be in the corner by the backdoor whenever I don't have it out hunting this deer season.

Old Post 09-21-2016 08:39 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We gave a friend one of our 🍉s and he took it to a family gathering in NC and they thought it was delicious!! Our friend called tonight to ask what kind it was because his nephew wants to get some seeds to plant next yr. Of course, we don't have a clue. We just cut another one, have a few more put in the barn refrigerator; hope they keep.

PS...had a girls' day out today at the Golden Corral, I tried okra! Don't think it will ever be on my favorite list, but it was ok.

Last edited by Rex Ridge on 10-12-2016 at 05:43 AM

Old Post 10-12-2016 05:39 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Thought I would pull this one back up instead of starting a new one. It's about that time of year to get started!
I did some cleaning in my little garden it's not quite time to plant but time to get everything ready to go. Tires are ready for the potatoes to go in and I will be checking the Farmer's Almanac for best planting time on root vegetables this month. I plant them in a tires and start out with a single layer filled with dirt and straw then stack another as the plants pop up through the top then stack another, more dirt and straw, they usually end up up 4 or so high but will keep going till you decide to quit stacking and the tires will be filled with them all the way up. It's a great space saver for anyone with limited space or for those like me with poor dirt for growing and to many rocks. I'm getting ready to get some seeds started indoors so they will be ready when it's time, I wish I had a little greenhouse! I would love to build some more raised beds but we will see what time allows on if i get it done or if Chey allows anymore of his yard space to be taken up. He has this thing about grass to grow and i would just assume fill it up with things to eat! The weather here has been pretty good and we haven't had a frost in about 3 weeks. We had really warm weather in late February and everything started blooming then had a hard freeze in March, many are worried about their fruit trees. Mine apple trees were just planted last year so I don't expect anything from them for a while but it turned all the blooms on the flowering shrubs brown, they are just now pulling out of it. Dad has got someone coming in to till the big garden down at their house he isn't gonna be able to do it this year so mom and I are on our own for the first time with it. Dad was just diagnosed with stage 4 small cell lung cancer that has spread to several other areas, right now he feels great but it's a long road and a bad diagnosis. Keep him in your prayers. Grandma, now almost 90, was giving us instructions on getting everything ready for her tomatoes Sunday. We all live within a half mile of each other so growing and canning is a community effort here. I think grandma could grow them under a rock and produce more than me lol.
Keep us all posted on your own garden progress and any ideas you have.
Here's to hoping that we don't have another invasion of the beetles and the weather is good for a great harvest this year!
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 03-28-2017 06:08 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

After the big flood and 18" of rain in less than a week things are finally drying out enough to get back to gardening. Finally got the rest of mom's garden in and its a good thing they had waited to get the corn and beans in or they would have ended up in Oklahoma! Today we got some things planted for my 89 yr old grandma. She had specific request for 12 tomato plants, 4 bell peppers, cucumbers, radishes, lettuce, and some onions. I added some garlic and dill so she can make me some pickles. All this was planted in a fence row along the barn lot in her upper yard so we can just mulch it all even though she seems to love pulling weeds. This should help keep her busy when she isn't out picking up rocks or cleaning fence rows.
Cheyenne still won't till up the spot in the yard I want to turn into a garden but I did get him to till up a space along the back of the house that gets some good sun for extra space for more tomatoes and some okra. Baby steps lol I'll eventually wear him down. With limited garden space I've been tucking plants here and there in his flower beds seemed like a great place to grow squash and peppers. I just bought a few things to add to a medicinal herb garden I'm working on and maybe save a few trips to the herb store.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 05-10-2017 11:49 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Chuck said "no garden" time will tell. We just had 2 frosty mornings so the orchard might be a goner, too. Last yr, it wasn't the best, but we had enough apples to keep the deer coming in for awhile.

I bought sunflower seeds that I want to get planted soon.

Good luck with all ur gardens, Jen.

Ps...I tried okra several times at a buffet this winter.

Last edited by Rex Ridge on 05-11-2017 at 05:05 AM

Old Post 05-11-2017 12:46 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Rex ridge I think that the taste of okra is growing on you I've got some seeds I can send you. Hope those fruit trees are ok and maybe Chuck will give in on the garden and let you plant a few things. If not do what I am and just surround your house with vegetables tucked in with the flowers.
Here are a couple of things I am trying this year. I put a spoon full of Epsom salts with the tomatoes and peppers, roses are supposed to love the magnesium sulfate from it too. You can make your own miracle grow with epsom salt, baking soda and ammonia that I am going to try in my quest for organic gardening. My squash plants I have planted in those funnel shaped tomato cages. Place the cage upside down over the plant and break off the wire that normally would stick in the ground to use for stakes to hold them in place. Train the plants up as they grow. This is supposed to help keep the squash bugs off and make picking easier. I moved mine into the flower bed hoping this may help with the bugs too. Along with campanion gardening and plenty of marigolds. My daughter is wanting to make some homemade baby food for the new little one so no pesticides.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 05-11-2017 04:16 AM