UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > !!!---Your Thoughts on Dogtra Pathfinder---!!!
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

So I just figured out there was a difference between google maps and google earth haha. The google maps I'm lookin at on my phone shows only roads and major waterways. Doesn't even show the little creeks and brooks we hunt at all. Is that about as good as it gets or
aare the maps thru the dogtra ap more detailed ?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-16-2017 03:37 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Huntnharris
UKC Forum Member

Google earth map

www.harrishoundsupply.net

Old Post 11-16-2017 03:46 AM
Huntnharris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Huntnharris Click here to Send Huntnharris a Private Message Click Here to Email Huntnharris Visit Huntnharris's homepage! Find more posts by Huntnharris Add Huntnharris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
So I just figured out there was a difference between google maps and google earth haha. The google maps I'm lookin at on my phone shows only roads and major waterways. Doesn't even show the little creeks and brooks we hunt at all. Is that about as good as it gets or
aare the maps thru the dogtra ap more detailed ?

If you enable the sattelite view on Google maps they are the same

Old Post 11-16-2017 05:09 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Yup that's better. I've been trying to find a glitch with this thing and there really isn't one is there. Nice little unit.

Old Post 11-17-2017 01:17 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I took a phone today that I had purchased off amazon for around $70. This phone has no data plans with any company. It is a BLU Android but I am sure any would work. I connected it to wifi and downloaded the Dogtra app. It also had a app on it for GOOGLE MAPS. I selected satellite maps and it put them on the phone with the dogtra app open. They are on there for the whole US with the dogtra app open and not there when it is closed. So I think the issue of not having the best maps is solved.

I also learned through this process there is a difference in Google Earth and Google satellite maps. They look identical but I am sure Google earth has some added features.
Use the Google Sattelite maps.

Old Post 11-20-2017 07:51 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I took a phone today that I had purchased off amazon for around $70. This phone has no data plans with any company. It is a BLU Android but I am sure any would work. I connected it to wifi and downloaded the Dogtra app. It also had a app on it for GOOGLE MAPS. I selected satellite maps and it put them on the phone with the dogtra app open. They are on there for the whole US with the dogtra app open and not there when it is closed. So I think the issue of not having the best maps is solved.

I also learned through this process there is a difference in Google Earth and Google satellite maps. They look identical but I am sure Google earth has some added features.
Use the Google Sattelite maps.

Old Post 11-20-2017 07:52 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BGathright
UKC Forum Member

Sharing

With Garmin, I have 2 handhelds that are linked to my collars. My hunting buddy uses one handheld and I have the other.

Can this be accomplished with the Dogtra?

Old Post 11-21-2017 04:02 PM
BGathright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BGathright Click here to Send BGathright a Private Message Click Here to Email BGathright Find more posts by BGathright Add BGathright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Huntnharris
UKC Forum Member

Re: Sharing

quote:
Originally posted by BGathright
With Garmin, I have 2 handhelds that are linked to my collars. My hunting buddy uses one handheld and I have the other.

Can this be accomplished with the Dogtra?

Yes, as long as you have 2 gps connectors you can track the same Collars on separate phones.

Old Post 11-21-2017 04:09 PM
Huntnharris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Huntnharris Click here to Send Huntnharris a Private Message Click Here to Email Huntnharris Visit Huntnharris's homepage! Find more posts by Huntnharris Add Huntnharris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BGathright
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Sharing

quote:
Originally posted by Huntnharris
Yes, as long as you have 2 gps connectors you can track the same Collars on separate phones.

Thank you

One final question, if purchasing more than one collar, are the collars different colors, like Garmin?

Again, thank you so much

Old Post 11-21-2017 04:13 PM
BGathright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BGathright Click here to Send BGathright a Private Message Click Here to Email BGathright Find more posts by BGathright Add BGathright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Huntnharris
UKC Forum Member

Collar straps come in orange, green, blue and black from the factory.

Old Post 11-21-2017 04:17 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

If you and a buddy stay close to the one connector you can pair two phones to it. Like Mr. Harris said if there is any distance between the two hunters the paired phone will drop bluetooth signal and two connectors are needed.

Old Post 11-21-2017 05:09 PM
BGathright
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
If you and a buddy stay close to the one connector you can pair two phones to it. Like Mr. Harris said if there is any distance between the two hunters the paired phone will drop bluetooth signal and two connectors are needed.

I am looking at the maps now. I hunt in an area with no cell reception. So I will have to download maps beforehand. Are the Offline maps of the same quality as Google earth, etc.?

Old Post 11-21-2017 06:28 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I did this yesterday and if you use Google Maps it is.

I am not talking google earth but it is the same quality map and is found in the google maps app. Download that and then select off line maps and then select satellite imagery and you should have quality maps with no data usage. The phone I used yesterday is not hooked up to any service. Just has wifi connection that I can download apps if I am at home or at the store.

Old Post 11-21-2017 07:37 PM
rgregory
UKC Forum Member

How do connect two phones at same time?

Old Post 11-21-2017 08:43 PM
rgregory is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rgregory Click here to Send rgregory a Private Message Click Here to Email rgregory Find more posts by rgregory Add rgregory to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Either look in your instruction manual or go on line and download the instructions. It has a whole place devoted to doing this.

Here is the problem with helping people with the Dogtra. If it was a Garmin I tell you exactly which buttons to push. With Dogtra everyone may using a different phone and the key is learning your phone so when the instructions tell you to do something you know how to do it. Most phones in principle are the same but there is a big difference on where you find the stuff on different phones.

Old Post 11-21-2017 08:54 PM
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Dogtra Pathfinder .....

I am thinking that the People that own these are liking them ?
The reason I think that is I have Not seen one single used one 4-sale, anywhere.
Tons of Garmins on here 4-sale though.....

Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 11-25-2017 03:31 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tim, I like the Dogtra. But I check eBay pretty regular and see if they are selling. I sell more Garmins in a month than all the Dogtras sold on eBay in six months. I wish they were selling because I would love another revenue stream.

Garmins have had many different models out and most people are selling to move up or selling to move back down because they aren't comfortable with the new model they just got.

Actually there are several products that Dogtra makes that I think are top of the line. I love their YS 600 Bark Collars.
Several years ago they made a shocking system for the hound hunter. Something like model 1801. Problem is no one with any dog sense helped them develop it. They made it so you had to buy a one dog system, a two dog system, a three dog system or 4 dog system. The system was one of the best ever made but not just building it and having it expandable when you needed to add a extra collar really hurt it and I feel hurt their relationship with the hound hunter.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 11-25-2017 at 04:42 PM

Old Post 11-25-2017 04:36 PM
JAH
Banned

I have a couple questions about this thing.I'll admit I'm dumb when comes to tracking systems in 50 years of hunting never had one but kind of thinking about getting one now.So all I do is buy the collars program them into my phone somehow and can track or find my dogs I guess should say when or if need to? If no cell service at all will it still find them? I could care less about having maps of the woods.I know where stuff is in the woods where I hunt.But do you have to download the maps?

Old Post 11-25-2017 04:45 PM
JAH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JAH Click here to Send JAH a Private Message Click Here to Email JAH Find more posts by JAH Add JAH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Jam that is NO and NO and NO and Yes. Or something like that.

I will try and explain it and give a comparison of the components to the Garmin.

Pathfinder has collars. Track and Train and also just track.
Garmin has collars. They do the same functions.

Here is where it gets different.

Garmin Collars collect satellite data and then sends it back to the Garmin Handheld. It then because it has navigation capabilities process the data and shows it on the screen.

The Dogtra is different here. The dogtra collars collect satellite information and sends it to a BLACK BOX called a connector. The connector stays with the hunter and it sends the information by bluetooth to the phone. The navigation capabilities of the phone then make it work on the phone screen.

Yes you have to download maps. Generally wifi is the way to download stuff.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 11-25-2017 at 05:05 PM

Old Post 11-25-2017 04:56 PM
JAH
Banned

Does the connector come by itself or can you get it with the track only collar? I sure don't need a training or shock collar.I'll admit I am one of those who don't need to own a shock collar.I'd light the dog up like a Christmas tree if ever needed to shock one.All I'd want is being able to find the dog if or when needed to

Old Post 11-25-2017 07:08 PM
JAH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JAH Click here to Send JAH a Private Message Click Here to Email JAH Find more posts by JAH Add JAH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

You can buy the system two ways. Track only or track and train. Both come with connector and the appropiate collar.

Old Post 11-25-2017 07:36 PM
Louie3
New UKC Forum Member

I'm looking at buying one of these systems. Is there a reason to buy the garmin instead other than worrying about damaging your phone while you are out hunting? If you lose connection with the dogtra between the dog and connector does it mark the last known spot of the dog like garmin? Is the garmin alpha handheld waterproof?

Old Post 11-25-2017 09:44 PM
Louie3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Louie3 Click here to Send Louie3 a Private Message Find more posts by Louie3 Add Louie3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dogtra Pathfinder .....

quote:
Originally posted by Triple K Kennel
I am thinking that the People that own these are liking them ?
The reason I think that is I have Not seen one single used one 4-sale, anywhere.
Tons of Garmins on here 4-sale though.....

Tim

Probably over a million garmins sold to all the different dog hunters out there. So you are going to see a few for sale used. Same goes for anything else sold.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 11-26-2017 02:12 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Dogtra Pathfinder .....

quote:
Originally posted by joey
Probably over a million garmins sold to all the different dog hunters out there. So you are going to see a few for sale used. Same goes for anything else sold.

Yeah, I know that about the Garmins.....But with the Dogtra, you would think you would see a used one somewhere 4-sale ?
To me, the Garmins have way to much junk on them that most Hunters don't use.
I have been doing more research on the Pathfinder and it seems simple....
I always have my phone on me, so that's not an issue with losing it etc.
I don't need to Track my Buddies Hounds.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 11-26-2017 03:37 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

You do not have to download maps. I've had one since last winter and never used the downloadable maps.

Old Post 11-27-2017 01:18 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote