UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > when to give up
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jimbob_walker
UKC Forum Member

when to give up

I have a young dog 20 months old. Has every quality that I like in a dog. Has split with the coon and held pressure. Has a huge mouth with a great locate and change over. Very very accurate. Only walked to one slick with her so far as long as oppossum early on don't count. What she doesn't have is much hunt. Some times she just stands at your feet and some times she might range out 2-300 yards. Then other nights she will hunt. I have tried everything I can think of and not been successful. I've heard her breeding are late starters. Any advice?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-23-2014 10:48 PM
jimbob_walker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jimbob_walker Click here to Send jimbob_walker a Private Message Click Here to Email jimbob_walker Find more posts by jimbob_walker Add jimbob_walker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allbritton
UKC Forum Member

your dog

I'm not an expert by any sense of the word, but in my opinion I'd just give her time. She's still pretty young. If she's going and treeing some and doing decent she probably just needs a little time. Just hunt her as much as possible.

Old Post 11-24-2014 12:09 AM
Allbritton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allbritton Click here to Send Allbritton a Private Message Find more posts by Allbritton Add Allbritton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

She wipeout? Cause I got one the same way.

Old Post 11-24-2014 12:13 AM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

I think when you start askin yourself that question, the time is near.

Old Post 11-24-2014 12:21 AM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

You seem to be talking about heart.....a lacking of such. Heart, drive,
whatever you want to call it, it' don't come with age.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 11-24-2014 12:25 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hootowlman
UKC Forum Member

I hear you I got one 18 months just the opposite will hunt like crazy more times than not be first strike. But for the life of me I can not get her to tree or stay on tree. Pop one out and she acts like she could care less.... All she is interested in is running track and on to the next one shows no interest what so Evers at tree. Tried tieing her back and shooting it out to other dogs now she just doesn't leave tree as bad but will not bark on tree at all... She has 3 world champions in her pedigree 2 are great grand parents one is her dad and is all grand except her mother. So I know it should be in there somewhere. 90 percent of what is hurting her is super low coon population she don't get to see them much. I think anyway

Old Post 11-24-2014 01:04 AM
hootowlman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hootowlman Click here to Send hootowlman a Private Message Click Here to Email hootowlman Find more posts by hootowlman Add hootowlman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allbritton
UKC Forum Member

your dog

Dogs do get more heart or drive to hunt with age. Pups are a simple proof of that. Iv had one do the exact thing you are saying and as he got older he quit hangin around and started hunting out. Most guys have no patience with dogs. But if you like the dog enough just give her some more time. Its all up to you and how much time you are willing to give her. But just for the record dogs do come out of this.

Old Post 11-24-2014 01:13 AM
Allbritton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allbritton Click here to Send Allbritton a Private Message Find more posts by Allbritton Add Allbritton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mad83
UKC Forum Member

I know what you all are going through. I have a 17 month female that will hunt as hard as you want with another dog. Will split tree and hold pressure but she does not like to go by herself. If she does she will only range out a couple hundred yards. I have tried everything and no results. If you all figure out how to correct let me know. Good luck

Old Post 11-24-2014 01:14 AM
mad83 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mad83 Click here to Send mad83 a Private Message Click Here to Email mad83 Find more posts by mad83 Add mad83 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jimbob_walker
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by john Duemmer
I think when you start askin yourself that question, the time is near.
I've been asking myself when enough is enough for awhile now. She has got a lot better in the last 6 months, but still not what I want. I've only ever had one other dog that had no "heart" at a young age, the one day she had all the heart you could want. I guess that's why I've put so much hope into her switch clicking. As far as her breeding, she is out of cold sweat and a female out of x and jane.

Old Post 11-24-2014 01:21 AM
jimbob_walker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jimbob_walker Click here to Send jimbob_walker a Private Message Click Here to Email jimbob_walker Find more posts by jimbob_walker Add jimbob_walker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lrhone
UKC Forum Member

hootowlman

U wouldn't happen to have an xpectation pup would u? I have one the same age and doing the exact same thing. She'll run track like crazy but won't tree.

Past home of...
NITECH FCH GRCH 'PR' Timber Shocker Phil HTX (Shocker x ntch Yeller)

NITECH CH 'PR' Hesston's Midnite Bandit (Buzz x ntch Queeny).... (R.I.P)

NITECH FCH GRCH 'PR' Hesston's Midnite Buck HTX (grnt Aftershock x ch Music)

Present home of...
NITECH CH 'PR' Wades Big Red Style (Grnt Red x Grnt Hope)

Hesston's Midnite Tater Tot (Nitech Ch Style x Ch Music)

Old Post 11-24-2014 01:23 AM
lrhone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lrhone Click here to Send lrhone a Private Message Click Here to Email lrhone Find more posts by lrhone Add lrhone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jimbob_walker
I've been asking myself when enough is enough for awhile now. She has got a lot better in the last 6 months, but still not what I want. I've only ever had one other dog that had no "heart" at a young age, the one day she had all the heart you could want. I guess that's why I've put so much hope into her switch clicking. As far as her breeding, she is out of cold sweat and a female out of x and jane.

I would take her out with another dog,cut her loose,leave the other dog in the box. When she comes back, put her right back in the box, get your other dog out hunt that dog.
Leave her in there a drop or two, cut her loose again the minute she comes back in put her back in the box. Do this for 3 to 4 weeks.

Have you tried this?

If you see that she starts to become hard to catch but it doesn't make her hunt harder, I would try something else.

Have you treated her for limes? This can really bog a dog down.

Have you tried an extended lay up. 3 to 4 weeks, this also seems to put a little extra hustle.

Some dogs obviously will always be close hunters, and others are wide hunters but the three things I listed above, imo will make the most difference, when it comes to getting a little extra hunt.

At the end of the day, I will take a laid back close hunting treeing coon all night behind the other dogs, kinda dog then a straight lined mile deep hot nosed slick treeing fool.

Hard hunting doesn't equal coon dog. So imo if you have a dog where you can only find one fault in it, thats a dog worth waiting for.

Old Post 11-24-2014 01:57 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jimbob_walker
UKC Forum Member

Re: hootowlman

quote:
Originally posted by lrhone
U wouldn't happen to have an xpectation pup would u? I have one the same age and doing the exact same thing. She'll run track like crazy but won't tree.
would be the same as her mommas side.

Old Post 11-24-2014 01:57 AM
jculler8
UKC Forum Member

It's all in what you want and can handle. I had one that I carted to NC at 17 or 18 months for SETW Days and she was a double cast winner, placed Friday night. Treed 8-9 coons in 2 nights... Every single one was by herself. Brought her home and as the tracks got better, the more she stood at my feet. I walk hunted her in good coon population and she got better with age. She's going to be 5 this summer and is still doing a nice job and winning. She has probably won 40 or 50 casts in the last 2 years. I wouldn't recommend being rough with her or switching her. It seems like she enjoys being around you.

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show

Old Post 11-24-2014 06:10 AM
jculler8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jculler8 Click here to Send jculler8 a Private Message Click Here to Email jculler8 Visit jculler8's homepage! Find more posts by jculler8 Add jculler8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jimbob_walker
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Fisher13
I would take her out with another dog,cut her loose,leave the other dog in the box. When she comes back, put her right back in the box, get your other dog out hunt that dog.
Leave her in there a drop or two, cut her loose again the minute she comes back in put her back in the box. Do this for 3 to 4 weeks.

Have you tried this?

If you see that she starts to become hard to catch but it doesn't make her hunt harder, I would try something else.

Have you treated her for limes? This can really bog a dog down.

Have you tried an extended lay up. 3 to 4 weeks, this also seems to put a little extra hustle.

Some dogs obviously will always be close hunters, and others are wide hunters but the three things I listed above, imo will make the most difference, when it comes to getting a little extra hunt.

At the end of the day, I will take a laid back close hunting treeing coon all night behind the other dogs, kinda dog then a straight lined mile deep hot nosed slick treeing fool.

Hard hunting doesn't equal coon dog. So imo if you have a dog where you can only find one fault in it, thats a dog worth waiting for.

I have tried all you have mentioned. I vaccinate for lime every year. She has only one fault so I am going to give her more time and just single her out and not run her with another dog all season.

Old Post 11-24-2014 10:51 AM
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jimbob_walker
I have tried all you have mentioned. I vaccinate for lime every year. She has only one fault so I am going to give her more time and just single her out and not run her with another dog all season.

Does she have a hunt command?

If you have big enough woods have you tried hunting her with out an e collar?

Casting her out in a field?

Hunting her in more open woods? some times these woods up here in pa, are tougher on a dog then one would think.
Sounds like you are doing all the right things! Bol!

Last edited by Fisher13 on 11-24-2014 at 01:10 PM

Old Post 11-24-2014 01:07 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jimbob_walker
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Fisher13
Does she have a hunt command?

If you have big enough woods have you tried hunting her with out an e collar?

Casting her out in a field?

Hunting her in more open woods? some times these woods up here in pa, are tougher on a dog then one would think.
Sounds like you are doing all the right things! Bol!

fields seems to be the worse. Hunts way better if I cut her in the woods. But she will check in after 200 yards or so most times. Each time I will recast her and she'll go in a different area for about the same distance. I try to hunt mostly open woods. She is very indipendant when cut with other dogs. Most of the time she is hunting in her own direction. Usually doesn't come to another dog unless it trees and she isn't working on a track. But even with another dog she doesn't hunt big.

Old Post 11-24-2014 02:14 PM
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

does this dog wear a e collar ?

Old Post 11-24-2014 05:08 PM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jimbob_walker
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by groworg1
does this dog wear a e collar ?
yes

Old Post 11-24-2014 05:54 PM
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Sounds to me like she is just a close hunter, she should win her fair share of casts though if she hunts in her own direction. I wouldn't worry about it if she is accurate, and independent. I bet over time she will hunt out more and more. You did say she has progressed a lot over the past 6 months, so I would assume she will only continue to do so.

Another thing I have done, is giving them a quick switch, as I unsnap the lead, this seems to give them a little extra hustle, and to communicate to hurry up.

I would imagine though if you prefer a dog that hunts a 1000 yards deep, you may not ever be satisfied, and it may be better to cut your losses. I guess your the only one that can answer that question.

Old Post 11-24-2014 06:29 PM
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

she ever been bumped for trash ?

Old Post 11-24-2014 10:11 PM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hootowlman
UKC Forum Member

Re: hootowlman

quote:
Originally posted by lrhone

Nope but close. Father is 2013 ACHA world champ trick magic, mother is insane gi Jane, who's father was insane cane.... X jr and insane Jane

Old Post 11-24-2014 11:28 PM
hootowlman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hootowlman Click here to Send hootowlman a Private Message Click Here to Email hootowlman Find more posts by hootowlman Add hootowlman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jimbob_walker
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by groworg1
she ever been bumped for trash ?
yes both deer and oppossum. She didn't hunt any different prior. I'm going to take some advice from this thread and see what comes about. If she don't make it then she don't make it. She just has a lot of good quilities that will make her a coon dog if this one thing turns around. I've had plenty of crap eaters so I know one when I see it

Old Post 11-25-2014 12:21 AM
barbwire
UKC Forum Member

Its coming from the cain side

Old Post 11-25-2014 12:35 AM
barbwire is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barbwire Click here to Send barbwire a Private Message Click Here to Email barbwire Find more posts by barbwire Add barbwire to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jimbob_walker
UKC Forum Member

This female isn't out of Cain. She's out of janey. But the othe female I had with the same issue, that came out of it, was direct out of cain.

Old Post 11-25-2014 01:24 AM
barbwire
UKC Forum Member

The trick dog has been throwing some nice pups an all I have seen out of him hunts hard.

Old Post 11-25-2014 01:52 AM
barbwire is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barbwire Click here to Send barbwire a Private Message Click Here to Email barbwire Find more posts by barbwire Add barbwire to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote