UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon seen / coon not seen. The REAL story on accuracy..
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
fullhouse
Banned

The 4 or 5 most accurate dogs Ive ever been with rarely made a den from spring till fall and didn't make many even in the winter. I had a dog out of Wessels Wild Card that I tracked every tree he made from Nov 1st to Feb 28th with no leaves. He was about 81% counting dens as slick and about 88% not. Ive had and seen a 1000 that couldn't touch it and can count on one hand the ones Ive been with that I thought was as good or better then that.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-03-2014 08:17 PM
fullhouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fullhouse Click here to Send fullhouse a Private Message Find more posts by fullhouse Add fullhouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

Went out lastnite dog treed 5 trees,4 trees had a coon seen,and the 5th tree had 2 coon seen in it,,does that mean my dog is 120% percent accurate,,,lol

Old Post 10-03-2014 08:46 PM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigdog061
UKC Forum Member

I hunt a blue dog too Vic! LOL!! Hunted with some crossbreed hounds once upon a time. 2 in particular where accurate the same in Dec through the rut. Why would they loose Accuracy any time of year? Maybe unseen I agree.....but a dog that can show 46 out of 50 trees has obviously been around long enough to learn the tricks coons can through

Paul

Old Post 10-03-2014 11:26 PM
bigdog061 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigdog061 Click here to Send bigdog061 a Private Message Find more posts by bigdog061 Add bigdog061 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kayapellijed390
Banned

Accuracy

I have hunted in SD, IA, MN, NE, KS, WI, OH, IN, TN, CO, MT, MI, and I'm prolly missing a state or two. Point is I have seen firsthand how different the trees, land, and even coons are. I totally understand why you Indiana boys throw the B.S. Flag when you hear people talking about 80-95% accurate dogs. Hell I have a heck of a hard time finding coon every time I go to Indiana for Oaks. It is a lot easier when I come out in March for Leopard days but still .... Y'all's trees are tall and thick! But to make blanket statements like you guys are making seems a little foolish to me. Have any of you hunted in terrain like this?

Mostly scrub oak, the tallest trees are maybe 30' tall, most den trees are short snarly, oaks that are real easy to climb and look in the den holes. You can almost always shine a tree real good with the leaves on and it's not even fair when the leaves are off. Usually only takes a few seconds to tell if it is slick or not. This is what most of the stuff I pleasure/hide hunt looks like ( this is a pic of one of my hunting spots) and yes I am one of those guys who claims to have a 90+% accurate dog. I may not see that many eyes in Indiana with him but I sure do in my woods. 70% accurate in my woods is pushing the limit of what I'll feed.

GRNITECH 'PR' DERBY CITY SANDY
GRNITECH GRCH CASH'S CAMO JUG OF SHINE
--2012 National Grand Nite Champion American Leopard Hound
--High Scoring Leopard 2012 Autumn Oaks
--High scoring Leopard Saturday night at Leopard days 2011
--Qualified for the 2011 UKC World Hunt.
--High Scoring Leopard of the 2011 UKC World Hunt
--Breed Winner for the 2011 Purina Race Hunt
--2011 South Dakota State Hunt Champion
CH RYLEIGH'S GRIM REAPER
--Tri-State Coonhunters Association 2010 Bench show dog of the year

And the Redbone--
2013 Tri-State Overall Bench Show Dog of the Year:
'PR' CH RAGGED RIDGE CJ (Willie) co-owned with Bob Julson

Old Post 10-04-2014 12:10 AM
kayapellijed390 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kayapellijed390 Click here to Send kayapellijed390 a Private Message Click Here to Email kayapellijed390 Find more posts by kayapellijed390 Add kayapellijed390 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kayapellijed390
Banned

After hunting this kind of ground for years on end I have come to a few conclusions. The very accurate dogs tree VERY FEW dens. When a real accurate dogs tree on a den, if you climb it, they almost always have a coon in them. The dogs that have bad accuracy tree lots more dens and they often don't have a coon in them if you climb them. In my opinion over 75% of the trees that get circled in a hunt (nationwide) are SLICK! If I had my way there would only be plus or minus and do away with minusing out.

GRNITECH 'PR' DERBY CITY SANDY
GRNITECH GRCH CASH'S CAMO JUG OF SHINE
--2012 National Grand Nite Champion American Leopard Hound
--High Scoring Leopard 2012 Autumn Oaks
--High scoring Leopard Saturday night at Leopard days 2011
--Qualified for the 2011 UKC World Hunt.
--High Scoring Leopard of the 2011 UKC World Hunt
--Breed Winner for the 2011 Purina Race Hunt
--2011 South Dakota State Hunt Champion
CH RYLEIGH'S GRIM REAPER
--Tri-State Coonhunters Association 2010 Bench show dog of the year

And the Redbone--
2013 Tri-State Overall Bench Show Dog of the Year:
'PR' CH RAGGED RIDGE CJ (Willie) co-owned with Bob Julson

Last edited by kayapellijed390 on 10-04-2014 at 01:16 AM

Old Post 10-04-2014 12:35 AM
kayapellijed390 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kayapellijed390 Click here to Send kayapellijed390 a Private Message Click Here to Email kayapellijed390 Find more posts by kayapellijed390 Add kayapellijed390 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nathan cooley
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bigdog061
Treed twice the other night, seen first 1, 2nd tree beech with hole in bottom of tree. 50% right there. I can live with that! Does that mean my dog is 50% "ACCURATE"????

I completely understand the coon seen/unseen and agree with y'all! But how about these folks that get on here and say there dog tree 50 times and seen 46? Do you believe them?

Yes or no??????

Paul

u can believe what u want but I have a wholelot of pics and people to back my statement. I've never seen nothing like it in my life. He rarely trees in a den and even rare not to find a coon.

2014 perf. sir
GRCH NTCH Late Nite Swamp Bustin Blaze R.I.P
Liking River Cheddar Bob
Skuna River Crazy Kate

Old Post 10-04-2014 05:53 AM
nathan cooley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nathan cooley Click here to Send nathan cooley a Private Message Click Here to Email nathan cooley Find more posts by nathan cooley Add nathan cooley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tom Jones
UKC Forum Member

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Vic Stoll [/ From mid December on through the rut, as you well know those "coon seen" percentages will drop. [/B]

Lol you just said all you need to say right there lol.

Old Post 10-04-2014 03:44 PM
Tom Jones is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tom Jones Click here to Send Tom Jones a Private Message Click Here to Email Tom Jones Find more posts by Tom Jones Add Tom Jones to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bigdog061
I hunt a blue dog too Vic! LOL!! Hunted with some crossbreed hounds once upon a time. 2 in particular where accurate the same in Dec through the rut. Why would they loose Accuracy any time of year? Maybe unseen I agree.....but a dog that can show 46 out of 50 trees has obviously been around long enough to learn the tricks coons can through

Paul

I'm talking using JiM's coon seen/coon not seen method. I guarantee you, during mid December on through the rut in this country, your den percentages will go up.

As I stated earlier in this post, the several more accurate ones I have followed treed very few dens, the majority they did tree over a years's time were mid December through the rut.

On a side note, I had a hunt the other night where my potlicker was 0%. Could I cheat a little & count the possum for 1%

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 10-04-2014 07:57 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigdog061
UKC Forum Member

I had one that was 4%!!!!! LOL!! No joke!!!! I mean, she probably treed 100 times and seen coon in 4 trees!!! Ain't that pittiful!!!!!

Paul

Old Post 10-04-2014 09:16 PM
bigdog061 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigdog061 Click here to Send bigdog061 a Private Message Find more posts by bigdog061 Add bigdog061 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bandithunter
UKC Forum Member

I hold with Kaya, some of it is terrain, but a lot is what yer willing to put up with. I live in se minn and I've shot dogs that were better than 50% and most of them were spotted.

Old Post 10-04-2014 10:40 PM
bandithunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bandithunter Click here to Send bandithunter a Private Message Click Here to Email bandithunter Find more posts by bandithunter Add bandithunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jackson87
UKC Forum Member

Vic you ant kidding about the rut.When it gets bad cold and there breeding they find a coon motel to stay in and don't wonder far from it.
kayapellijed390 some of these trees are hard to shine.Heck last time I hunted my dog would tree I would shine,squall,shake and not find nothing.Id send her on and look back and there would be 2 eyes looking down.Treed 6 coons that night and half wouldn't look till the dogs were lead away.
One thing is forsure if you have a hot nosed dog they are a lot more accurate.They will prolly pass up more coons than they tree and go twice as far to tree a coon.Some people love that kind but I can't stand to see a dog run by coon to find a easy one.

Old Post 10-06-2014 05:29 PM
Jackson87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson87 Click here to Send Jackson87 a Private Message Find more posts by Jackson87 Add Jackson87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
elvis
UKC Forum Member

the dogs ive seen that were 90+%ers using jims scorecard were so hot nosed they almost had to see the coon climb before theyd tree.
I certainly haven't seen every dog in the world though.

Old Post 10-06-2014 05:39 PM
elvis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for elvis Click here to Send elvis a Private Message Find more posts by elvis Add elvis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D. McNaughton
UKC Forum Member

Re: Accuracy

quote:
Originally posted by kayapellijed390

I'm out of breath just thinkin bout walk in up them hills!

Old Post 10-07-2014 08:56 PM
D. McNaughton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D. McNaughton Click here to Send D. McNaughton a Private Message Click Here to Email D. McNaughton Find more posts by D. McNaughton Add D. McNaughton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by elvis
the dogs ive seen that were 90+%ers using jims scorecard were so hot nosed they almost had to see the coon climb before theyd tree.
I certainly haven't seen every dog in the world though.

Elvis you beat me to the draw on this one.

Years ago when I was a much younger man I owned a Bluetick female with as cold a nose as any man's dog.

Me and Shawn Gillespie hunted her one winter (This was before he got the Kane dog) and between climbing trees and using a chainsaw and a chopping axe, I believe you could have counted the coons she missed the winter she was 4 years old on one hand, and we were hunting hard and keeping hides.

She treed coon fairly often that other dogs couldn't open on.

However,,,she was a trailing type track dog and didn't get in a hurry about settling on a tree.

She was not a tree the first coon up type of dog. You could tree coons behind her.

She was tough to beat in thin coon and easy to beat where they were thick.

Was she accurate? Absolutely.

Would most of the members of this board want one like her?

No.

I hunted her one cold, moonlit night at Gary Uchtmans when he lived near Pontiac MO and we found her treed eight miles from where we cut her loose.

She was not for the faint of heart but she would go somewhere and tree you a coon just about any night of the year.

But a lot of dogs will tree more coons on less acres of ground than she would have,

I loved her and kept the old hussy till she died.

Old Post 11-23-2014 08:54 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
garminguru
UKC Forum Member

Coon seen has always been the method I use. I do not know why anyone would use any other method. Trying to make their self feel better I guess.

Old Post 11-24-2014 02:46 AM
garminguru is offline Click Here to See the Profile for garminguru Click here to Send garminguru a Private Message Find more posts by garminguru Add garminguru to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

I put this theory to the test a couple years ago. Took 5 of the most wanted final 4 to be in and averaged them out to dogs backing on trees with no coons seen. I believe a coondog should wind up under a coon no matter the circumstances they are put under but all those final4 averaged out they were 39%. Get tired of 95% being advertised on Internet for sale. This argument will always have variables. Time of year location. Dog will usually be more accurate in northern Indiana than in southern swamps.

Old Post 11-24-2014 04:50 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd Miller
UKC Forum Member

If I was to look at percentages on coon seen vs circle trees, I would keep track of the percentage of coon seen, and a percentage of circles. Statistically its the only way you could even come close to figuring out the most accurate hounds. But you also need another common factor between the 2.

Last edited by Todd Miller on 11-24-2014 at 07:34 PM

Old Post 11-24-2014 07:32 PM
Todd Miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Miller Click here to Send Todd Miller a Private Message Find more posts by Todd Miller Add Todd Miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

I could never see any point in keeping track of circles since there is no possible way to know if a circle tree has a coon or not. What's the point in keeping track of something totally unknown?

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 11-24-2014 08:32 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
I could never see any point in keeping track of circles since there is no possible way to know if a circle tree has a coon or not. What's the point in keeping track of something totally unknown?

Tie-breaker purposes?

Old Post 11-24-2014 09:12 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roadrunner22
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Vic Stoll

On a side note, I had a hunt the other night where my potlicker was 0%. Could I cheat a little & count the possum for 1%

Im not gonna lie I've seen a bunch of them ol goose egg nights...

Old Post 11-25-2014 03:51 AM
roadrunner22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roadrunner22 Click here to Send roadrunner22 a Private Message Click Here to Email roadrunner22 Find more posts by roadrunner22 Add roadrunner22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roadrunner22
UKC Forum Member

And I ve seen it out of walkers, blues, english, black and tans and plotts. Can't say I've ever seen a redbone even tree a coon so I can't speak for them LOL jk jk!

Old Post 11-25-2014 03:55 AM
roadrunner22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roadrunner22 Click here to Send roadrunner22 a Private Message Click Here to Email roadrunner22 Find more posts by roadrunner22 Add roadrunner22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd Miller
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM

I understand your thought on circle trees Jim, whatever the percentage maybe on circle trees, it would put some weight on the over all average in any type of consideration or as Allen mentioned Tie breaker.

Old Post 11-25-2014 04:06 PM
Todd Miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Miller Click here to Send Todd Miller a Private Message Find more posts by Todd Miller Add Todd Miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote