UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Problems With Coonhunting
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Truth
UKC Forum Member

Problems With Coonhunting

What are the biggest problems we are faced with in the sport of coon hunting today?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-14-2018 03:45 AM
Truth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Truth Click here to Send Truth a Private Message Find more posts by Truth Add Truth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Truth
UKC Forum Member

Land

We are running out of land to hunt by way of Houses or roads. This is the common seen in every state.

Last edited by Truth on 07-14-2018 at 03:50 AM

Old Post 07-14-2018 03:47 AM
Truth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Truth Click here to Send Truth a Private Message Find more posts by Truth Add Truth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Finding a good dog

Old Post 07-14-2018 04:22 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

I will agree with land and understanding.

Too many idiots owning a postage stamp causing a ruckus when I hunt the 500 acre farm next to their 1/4 acre lot.

Makes me not want to hunt any more.

Old Post 07-14-2018 04:43 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RJ Burks
UKC Forum Member

I honestly believe this is why numbers are down in the hunts....having a place to hunt 4 dogs for 2 hours without getting into trouble....

Old Post 07-14-2018 05:04 AM
RJ Burks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RJ Burks Click here to Send RJ Burks a Private Message Find more posts by RJ Burks Add RJ Burks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James Garrison
UKC Forum Member

The dogs that blow out and get treed a mile from where you turn loose cause a big problem with me. I know they have the coon and win hunts but it still causes problems.

Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Hobo
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Luke
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Honey
Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Lead Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Belle
Nite Champion Garrisons Brindle Buckshot HTX
At Stud Grand Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Trax

Old Post 07-14-2018 01:22 PM
James Garrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James Garrison Click here to Send James Garrison a Private Message Click Here to Email James Garrison Find more posts by James Garrison Add James Garrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by RJ Burks
I honestly believe this is why numbers are down in the hunts....having a place to hunt 4 dogs for 2 hours without getting into trouble....

Unfortunately the styles of dogs have changed and the rules haven't I have enough woods to hunt 4 hrs in one spot and most guys my age do but we don't most train their dogs to the same mold to put hides on the barn you take the time to enter a hunt then you are stuck on the leash walking a mile very many times us old guys stop going .............. The death march ain't fun to the old guys.

Tar

Old Post 07-14-2018 01:32 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Undergrace316
UKC Forum Member

Re: Land

quote:
Originally posted by Truth
We are running out of land to hunt by way of Houses or roads. This is the common seen in every state.

Amen to that!!

Old Post 07-14-2018 02:42 PM
Undergrace316 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Undergrace316 Click here to Send Undergrace316 a Private Message Click Here to Email Undergrace316 Find more posts by Undergrace316 Add Undergrace316 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
............. The death march ain't fun to the old guys.
Tar

Speak for yourself old man. I just love walking 900 to 1,000 yards leading my dog. Especially when it is 75 degrees.

Old Post 07-14-2018 03:08 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Buuuuuuut I am not eskinny like you me is fat me is lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-14-2018 03:34 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe Moore
UKC Forum Member

General ease of life and technology. 30-50 years ago there wasn't much to do at night I assume, so hunting was the thing to do especially during the week. Now with TV and a million other things going on its hard to make yourself go as often as you should and eventually that gets less and less until you don't go at all. SO many distractions and things way "easier" then going coon hunting these days its hard to keep the people already doing it interested, let alone get new people in to it. That why I always find it funny when certain guys on here really paint the "hardcore" or "professional" hunters in a bad light, when in reality people like this are still supporting out sport every single night when most aren't.

-2004 PKC Youth World Hunt, 3rd place
-2005 UKC PA State Overall Show Champion
-2007 UKC Youh National Hunt, 3rd place

-PKC Silver Ch, GRNTCH 'pr' Tree Stalkins Stylish Striker

Old Post 07-14-2018 04:33 PM
Joe Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Moore Click here to Send Joe Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe Moore Visit Joe Moore's homepage! Find more posts by Joe Moore Add Joe Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, 30 to 50 years ago, I had plenty to do at night. I always had more to do than I could ever get done. But today they will put you in jail for what we used to do for fun.

Y'all talk about how bad coonhunting is but coonhunting keeps a lot of youngsters and grownups out of trouble. You are a lot better off in the woods than you are on the streets or in a bar.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 07-14-2018 at 05:02 PM

Old Post 07-14-2018 04:56 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sox12
UKC Forum Member

that is the best response Richard.I don't go to bars,but if the kids want to go hunting come on over.

CH Nt. Ch.PR Wandering Red & RR Bucksaw (GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge Rip X Grand Nite Raged Ridge Toadie )
GRNTCH.GRCh.PR Steffes' Whizz Bang[GRNTCH Big Walnut BooneXGRNTCH Raged Ridge Toadie]
GRCH.Wandering Red Pepper
GRCH.Wandering Red Honeys Sweety Pie

RIP
GR.NT.CH.GR.CH.PR Steffes wandering Red Tinkerbell {GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge RipsawXGRNTCH Ragged Ridge Toadie]

Old Post 07-14-2018 07:39 PM
sox12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sox12 Click here to Send sox12 a Private Message Click Here to Email sox12 Find more posts by sox12 Add sox12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

Biggest problem we have today is land to legally hunt. I’ve got a ton of hunting around me, land wise. Now as far as how much of it I have permission to hunt, it’s very little. Most of my spots I have to constantly check the Garmin to keep my dogs on land I’m suppose to be on. A few years ago, I didn’t care where they went or whose land it was but I’m too old for that now. In a few years my son will be old enough to start hunting with me. I want to make hunting as fun as possible for him. Worrying about dogs getting off your hunting grounds all night, slipping around and possibly getting in trouble are things I don’t want him to have to deal with. I’m currently down to one dog. If I had more places to hunt I would get serious about it again in a heart beat. For now the county I live in is still mostly rural but one county over is busting at the seems with new development. Places we hunted growing up are now strips malls, subdivisions and 4 lanes. I moved out of the area about 15 years ago to get away from the growth and hoping it doesn’t follow me. I’ve had dogs my entire life, no way I could imagine coming home in the evenings and not having to tend to my dogs. I’ve been riding trying to find some spots on the public land to hunt this fall and winter. It’s not ideal but it’s plenty of land and I’ve got permission to hunt it all lol.

Last edited by wildcat3 on 07-15-2018 at 04:59 AM

Old Post 07-15-2018 04:57 AM
wildcat3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat3 Click here to Send wildcat3 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildcat3 Find more posts by wildcat3 Add wildcat3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by wildcat3
........... Most of my spots I have to constantly check the Garmin to keep my dogs on land I’m suppose to be on. A few years ago, I didn’t care where they went or whose land it was but I’m too old for that now. In a few years my son will be old enough to start hunting with me. I want to make hunting as fun as possible for him. Worrying about dogs getting off your hunting grounds all night, slipping around and possibly getting in trouble are things I don’t want him to have to deal with...........

When I was younger and before Garmins, I too didn't know or care whose land they were on. Sneaking around to get them was half of the fun. I got cussed out and even shot at quite often. Now I am too old for that also. Maybe that is one of the things that is wrong with coonhunting. We have gotten too old. I won't hunt a lot of the spots that I used to hunt. The spots havent changed but I have.

Old Post 07-15-2018 03:49 PM
Blaze2014
Banned

Just read these forums, you will see quickly what the issue is. Yes maybe some land issues for some, time and work, but mainly it's a people problem. Some folks just know it all and want everyone to know it, and some rather **** you over t any cost.

Old Post 07-15-2018 04:28 PM
Blaze2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaze2014 Click here to Send Blaze2014 a Private Message Find more posts by Blaze2014 Add Blaze2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote