UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Jones Boys 1966, Amesville Ohio, Tick Ridge Check Out This Pic's& History
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
cowboyjones
UKC Forum Member

Jones Boys 1966, Amesville Ohio, Tick Ridge Check Out This Pic's& History

!!!!!A LITTLE HISTORY !!!!!!
In 1797, Ephraim Cutler made his home in Ames Township. Other families followed, including George Ewing and his son Thomas, who was in the first graduating class from Ohio University. Sylvanus Ames settled in the area around 1800; he became the second sheriff of Athens County, a trustee of Ohio University, and representative to the 16th and 17th General Assemblies. At the time, these pioneer settlers didn't realize the impact they would make on the future town of Amesville.

AMESVILLE SCHOOL

Amesville is perhaps best known for the Coonskin Library. At an 1803 town meeting -- held to discuss roads -- settlers talked about their desire for books and their lack of money to pay for them. Most of the business was done by barter, so little money was in circulation. However, the surrounding forest had pelts that could be sold in the East to buy books. In the spring of 1804, Samuel B. Brown was given the pelts and, accompanied by Ephraim Cutler, went east to bring back books for the town. Fifty-one books -- mostly on religion, travel, biography and history -- were purchased for $73.50. These books were passed from home to home until Ephraim Cutler was elected librarian in 1804.

The original books can be found at the Ohio Historical Society, as well as Ohio University's Alden Library. A commemorative marker, placed by the Nabby Lee Ames D.A.R. Chapter of Athens in 1925, is located near the Community Bank on State Street. The Coonskin Library Museum opened in May of 1994 in the former cafeteria of the Amesville Grade School.

Left: Amesville Grade School, 1952

Amesville grew slowly but steadily. In 1802, the first school built in Ames Township was taught by Charles Cutler. The Amesville Academy was established after the town held a meeting about better education. The first Amesville Post Office was located in a brick building at the corner of State and Main Streets in 1821. At the time, the building was also home to a store. The Amesville United Methodist Church was formed in 1824, followed by the Amesville Presbyterian Church in 1829.

Unfortunately, the town's location on the bank of Federal Creek and by the McDougal Creek branch have made it prone to flooding. The first flood occurred in 1873. Many floods have followed, including back-to-back floods in 1997 and 1998. Each time, the community has come together to rebuild the town.

Amesville has been the home to many people. Slaves escaping the South walked through Amesville as part of the Underground Railroad. Its landmarks -- such as the Masonic Hall on Franklin Street -- are important to families living there, as well as visitors to the village. Other landmarks, such as the old Clover Farm Stores building, have been abandoned or torn down, but new landmarks and memories are taking their place.
CLOVER FARM STORE

GR NT CH STYLISH SUPER BEE
GR NT CH RIDGETOP SADIE II
GR NT CH BRETTS TREE TALKING ROSE
GR NT CH JONES TREE TALKING MISSY
NT CH JONES' CARRIE
NT CH JONES LUCIFER
NT CH JONES DAKOTA
NT CH JONES COUNTRY PRIDE

Last edited by cowboyjones on 11-27-2007 at 08:24 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-27-2007 08:13 PM
cowboyjones is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cowboyjones Click here to Send cowboyjones a Private Message Click Here to Email cowboyjones Find more posts by cowboyjones Add cowboyjones to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

jones boys

what a group of muts no the dogs. the one in the middle was the best thats the one i am holding. RAY PERRY from Gallipolis oh. let me hunt the blacktan for Him. Chester jones on left Carson Jones in the middle and Victor Jones on the right.

Old Post 11-27-2007 08:22 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

btt

btt

Old Post 11-27-2007 09:57 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cowboyjones
UKC Forum Member

btt

NT CH JONES' CARRIE
NT CH JONES LUCIFER
NT CH JONES DAKOTA

Old Post 11-29-2007 03:45 AM
cowboyjones is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cowboyjones Click here to Send cowboyjones a Private Message Click Here to Email cowboyjones Find more posts by cowboyjones Add cowboyjones to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

tickridge

1-redtick and 2 black&tans the BT on far rite would catch things on ground a bring back. that dam thing caught a skunk one nite and brout it in and we had to throw sticks at him to keep him from carring it in and dropping it at your feet. LOL

Old Post 01-13-2015 03:09 PM
BlueDrifter
UKC Forum Member

Nice to see again. Thanks Brett

Old Post 01-14-2015 01:18 AM
BlueDrifter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BlueDrifter Click here to Send BlueDrifter a Private Message Click Here to Email BlueDrifter Find more posts by BlueDrifter Add BlueDrifter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Coon Skin Library

Man does those pictures bring back some old memories. That school house was originally built and served all 12 grades of school. Somewhere between 1952 and 1960/1961 the elementary school was built one block behind the school in the picture. I say that because I started school in the fall of 1961 first grade, and I went to the other school one block back.

That pic of Victor, Chester, and Carson may have been taken just about the time this family first moved on to Tick Ridge, from Kentucky, Carson and I were in the same room. He was a country boy just like I, and we had to work if we wanted to eat. Times were hard at that time and those hounds helped put food on the table, and money in your pocket. I probably lived about 8 miles from Carson at this time as I was raised on Hooper Ridge. Which sits between the McDougal Branch and Federal Creek Branch.

I remember that Clover Farm store, as I would sometimes sneak down town during recess and by 2 cent bubble gum or a dime for a candy bar, (if I had the money) I was probably in the 2nd-3rd grade at that time LOL.

A Mr. Avery eventually became the principle of the Amesville Elementary school in the 80's. My kids were starting school and I would see him at school functions with the kids. Mr. Avery had a HUGE interest in rebuilding the Coon Skin Library and wanted to build it on its original site of 1804. Mr Avery found out I loved to coon hunt and asked me to attend a couple of meetings to discuss his idea of rebuilding the Library using funds generated by the selling of coon pelts, just as our forefathers had done in 1804.

Myself, Darrel Ball, and a few other hunters of whom I cannot now recall their names attend a few of these meetings and we volunteered to put on a coon hunt each year, with every hunter donating all the pelts they caught on that one night to be sold to generate funding to rebuild this Library. We held hunts for 5/6 years (if memory serves me correctly) donating all hides for this purpose. Now keep in mind hides were still bringing pretty good money in the mid 80's.

We would turn in somewhere near 100 pelts each year, as there would be 30-40 teams of hunters signed up to help out with this cause. I'm sure they had other fundraisers as well to get the building built, but that is how the hunters in our community come together to replace this once historical structure that was rebuilt in 1994.

For those that do not know, the Coon Skin Library was the first library built in the Northwest Territory, when our country was being founded.

Carson do you remember what year you guys moved here from Kentucky??

One of my first memories was Victor, having a big Ole Hoot Owl that he had caught and tamed and he brought it to school for all to see. Well those danged teachers didn't take a liking to that very well so they told him to take it home. The next day here he came with a pet groundhog. Well they didn't like that very well either and sent him home again. Man those were the good Old days.

Carson about the time the pic of you three boys was taken, Dad had an old grade Black & Tan that he had raised from a pup, that turned out to be the first real coondog we every owned. Both her parents were redbone in color and she was the only pup that came out black and Tan, LOL.

Thanks for sharing Brett, Man what fond memories!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 01-14-2015 05:35 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr nelson
UKC Forum Member

when I was a boy in the late seventies my neighbor had black and tans. His male was a heck of a big dog, he would crunch a skunk, it seemed as soon as you got to the woods. And then he liked to come back and slobber and rub the stink off on ya. That dog soured me on black and tans, probably for good.

Old Post 01-14-2015 11:45 AM
mr nelson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr nelson Click here to Send mr nelson a Private Message Find more posts by mr nelson Add mr nelson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Great reading thanks for the post.

Old Post 01-14-2015 01:57 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coon Skin Library

quote:
Originally posted by Rocketman55
Man does those pictures bring back some old memories. That school house was originally built and served all 12 grades of school. Somewhere between 1952 and 1960/1961 the elementary school was built one block behind the school in the picture. I say that because I started school in the fall of 1961 first grade, and I went to the other school one block back.

That pic of Victor, Chester, and Carson may have been taken just about the time this family first moved on to Tick Ridge, from Kentucky, Carson and I were in the same room. He was a country boy just like I, and we had to work if we wanted to eat. Times were hard at that time and those hounds helped put food on the table, and money in your pocket. I probably lived about 8 miles from Carson at this time as I was raised on Hooper Ridge. Which sits between the McDougal Branch and Federal Creek Branch.

I remember that Clover Farm store, as I would sometimes sneak down town during recess and by 2 cent bubble gum or a dime for a candy bar, (if I had the money) I was probably in the 2nd-3rd grade at that time LOL.

A Mr. Avery eventually became the principle of the Amesville Elementary school in the 80's. My kids were starting school and I would see him at school functions with the kids. Mr. Avery had a HUGE interest in rebuilding the Coon Skin Library and wanted to build it on its original site of 1804. Mr Avery found out I loved to coon hunt and asked me to attend a couple of meetings to discuss his idea of rebuilding the Library using funds generated by the selling of coon pelts, just as our forefathers had done in 1804.

Myself, Darrel Ball, and a few other hunters of whom I cannot now recall their names attend a few of these meetings and we volunteered to put on a coon hunt each year, with every hunter donating all the pelts they caught on that one night to be sold to generate funding to rebuild this Library. We held hunts for 5/6 years (if memory serves me correctly) donating all hides for this purpose. Now keep in mind hides were still bringing pretty good money in the mid 80's.

We would turn in somewhere near 100 pelts each year, as there would be 30-40 teams of hunters signed up to help out with this cause. I'm sure they had other fundraisers as well to get the building built, but that is how the hunters in our community come together to replace this once historical structure that was rebuilt in 1994.

For those that do not know, the Coon Skin Library was the first library built in the Northwest Territory, when our country was being founded.

Carson do you remember what year you guys moved here from Kentucky??

One of my first memories was Victor, having a big Ole Hoot Owl that he had caught and tamed and he brought it to school for all to see. Well those danged teachers didn't take a liking to that very well so they told him to take it home. The next day here he came with a pet groundhog. Well they didn't like that very well either and sent him home again. Man those were the good Old days.

Carson about the time the pic of you three boys was taken, Dad had an old grade Black & Tan that he had raised from a pup, that turned out to be the first real coondog we every owned. Both her parents were redbone in color and she was the only pup that came out black and Tan, LOL.

Thanks for sharing Brett, Man what fond memories!!

we came from KY in mid 40s move to little hocking and around 52 moved to cutler. and from there move to amesville around 62. the old log house still stands today that we lived in. poor! but what fun we had.

Old Post 01-14-2015 02:13 PM
Riverbottom Ron
UKC Forum Member

GREAT READING GUYS !

THIS POST IS A BREATH OF FRESH AIR ! I CAN READ THESE KIND OF POSTS EVERY DAY ,POST AFTER POST JUST LISTENING READING THE WORDS BRINGS BACK MANY MEMORIES OF MY BOYHOOD. .... MOST POSTS YA READ ARE NEGATIVE ,ARGUEING OF SOME TYPE OR CUTING OTHERS DOWN,,,,THANKS GUYS FOR THIS NICE POST ! IM READING SOMETHIN WITH POSITIVITY AND GOOD ! YOU ALL HAVE A BLESSED ONE ,,FROM THE RIVERBOTTOM,, KEEP IT GOING,,,RON

ALWAYS REMEMBER GOD GAVE US FRIENDS AND COONHOUNDS, " I AM A GREATLY BLESSED",HIGHLY FAVORED" " IMPERFECT BUT FORGIVEN CHILD OF GOD "KEEP YOUR {FAITH IN GOD } FAITH SEES THE INVISIBLE,BELIEVES THE INCREDIBLE,AND RECIEVES THE IMPOSSIBLE. WERE BLESSED !!

Old Post 01-14-2015 02:37 PM
Riverbottom Ron is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Riverbottom Ron Click here to Send Riverbottom Ron a Private Message Find more posts by Riverbottom Ron Add Riverbottom Ron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Moving from Kerntucky

Wow Carson, I didn't realize you guys had lived down by Little Hocking, and then Cutler, before settling on Tick Ridge. Richard Croston (another childhood friend) that I had the privilege of working with and hunting with for more than 20 years, had always told me your family had originally moved from Kentucky. Man Richard and I had a wonderful 20 some years of hunting together at least one night per week. Don't get to go as much any more but I think I'm going to change that this year, LOL

I remember going to Elementary school together maybe 3rd grade before you came to our school was what I kind of remember. And if memory serves me correctly, your brother Victor, would partner up with Bill Stover on those coon skin hide hunts. Other Hunters from the area that hunted in it were, Bobby Hawk (deceased) Bob Hart (deceased) Bob was the nephew of Orville Hart, owner of Harts Timber Joe who won the Autumn Oaks in 1967 and 1968. Randy VanNest, Fred Hart(deceased) Paul Keirns, Chester Jones, Rodney Wright from here in Glouster, Oh. Bob Ashcraft (who loves the black & Tans) and many many others that I cannot remember.

Carson, did you hunt in any of those hunts?? If memory serves me correctly, you had already move from the area and was raising your family up there where you now live.

Anyway, I sure have enjoyed this post, and look forward to getting back in the timber with my friend Carson. It has been way too many years gone by. See ya when the weather cooperates for us!!

Thanks again!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 01-14-2015 06:36 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

moved

1969 we moved on north! really loved the hunting down there. squirrel hunted a lot in fall. when school was out all we had to do was coon hunt. and work our butts off with dad cutting timber. boy how times have changed. looking forward to hunting with ya! LOL

Old Post 01-14-2015 06:55 PM
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

lol

a little tour! where I came from!!lol

Old Post 07-25-2016 12:15 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

A great read. Thanks!

Old Post 07-25-2016 12:33 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Greg Burks
UKC Forum Member

I like reading stories about the old times....when I was a kid I liked to sit around the fire and listen to the older folks tell old stories. ...

Old Post 07-25-2016 12:39 AM
Greg Burks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Greg Burks Click here to Send Greg Burks a Private Message Find more posts by Greg Burks Add Greg Burks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

yes

Out hunting at nite!! memories take me back to when I was a young ladd!! had some great times and hard!!

Old Post 07-25-2016 01:25 AM
Riverbottom Ron
UKC Forum Member

HEY GUYS OR GALS

HOW ABOUT ADDIN SOME MORE TO THESE OLD STORIES ,VERY INTERESTING TO READ.IT TAKES YER MIND OFF THE STUPID TRASHY STUFF IN TODAYS WORLD. NO MATTER WHERE YER FROM PUT SOME MORE ARTICALES ON HERE OF DAYS PAST ... THE LORD GAVE US A GIFT TO HAVE MEMORIES AND THESE SURE MAKE A DAY BETTER.HAVE A BLESSED ONE ,,,RON

ALWAYS REMEMBER GOD GAVE US FRIENDS AND COONHOUNDS, " I AM A GREATLY BLESSED",HIGHLY FAVORED" " IMPERFECT BUT FORGIVEN CHILD OF GOD "KEEP YOUR {FAITH IN GOD } FAITH SEES THE INVISIBLE,BELIEVES THE INCREDIBLE,AND RECIEVES THE IMPOSSIBLE. WERE BLESSED !!

Old Post 07-25-2016 03:48 AM
Riverbottom Ron is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Riverbottom Ron Click here to Send Riverbottom Ron a Private Message Find more posts by Riverbottom Ron Add Riverbottom Ron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Good reading.

Old Post 07-25-2016 09:29 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
elvis
UKC Forum Member

good stuff

Old Post 07-26-2016 12:22 AM
elvis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for elvis Click here to Send elvis a Private Message Find more posts by elvis Add elvis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Riehle
UKC Forum Member

great post any more pictures

Old Post 07-26-2016 11:18 AM
Dave Riehle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Riehle Click here to Send Dave Riehle a Private Message Find more posts by Dave Riehle Add Dave Riehle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cowboyjones
UKC Forum Member

Pics

I'll have to see what I can dig up !! Lol film was expensive in them days lol

NT CH JONES' CARRIE
NT CH JONES LUCIFER
NT CH JONES DAKOTA

Old Post 08-28-2016 06:14 PM
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

lol

Nice to be able to go back to where it started!!! and I have been going back there quite abit this summer!! and hope will be many more trips!!seems as some of those hills got a lot taller! and valleys a lot deeper!!lol

Old Post 08-28-2016 08:07 PM