UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Florida hunting
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bryan K Webb
UKC Forum Member

Florida hunting

Down here at east point staying on St. George Island with the family this week and was just curious what the hunting was like down here??? We drove through a refuge called Tate's Hell this morning, and it got me to thinking what the hunting might be like down here??? Everywhere I go I always wonder what the hunting is like and how many coonhunter are in the area.. If anybody would like to respond it would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks
Bryan Webb

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-22-2016 01:48 AM
Bryan K Webb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bryan K Webb Click here to Send Bryan K Webb a Private Message Click Here to Email Bryan K Webb Find more posts by Bryan K Webb Add Bryan K Webb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

Tate's Hell can be rough. No really easy hunting in this state. Gotta work gor these coons

Old Post 07-22-2016 03:30 AM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve Fielder
UKC Forum Member

Since you asked....

I moved to Florida three years ago. Having hunted in virtually every state where coon hunting with hounds exists, I would rate Peninsular Florida to be on the very bottom of the list of places for a coon hunter to enjoy releasing the dogs. My reasons are this:

1. Coon hunting, at least enjoyable coon hunting, is only possible in the winter months.

2. Florida is in the tropics meaning vegetation grows at warp speed and in many cases is impenetrable.

3. It's incredibly hot and humid here in the summer time.

4. Alligators are thick as fleas on a dog's back and live in the same habitat that coons live. They will kill and eat your hounds.

5. Cottonmouth water moccasins are found anywhere there's water as well. Rattlesnakes, the big, eastern diamondbacks with heads as big as your fist, are found in the palmettos and cane breaks that exist on higher ground.

6. Private land on which to hunt is in extreme short supply. The ranches where one can drive from bay head to bay head to spot hunt as we would do in the woodlots of the Midwest are being sold at record speed to developers. Public lands largely consist of pine scrub and sand with few hardwoods along the tributaries. I've lived here three years and without friends that have access to some existing ranches here in central Florida I would not have anything but state land to hunt.

7. Training pups here is extremely difficult due to all of the above reasons.

Despite all of the above, being able to hunt, if you can find a place, is great when everyone up north is iced in and suffering cabin fever. I lived in Michigan for 23 years and much of my time is spent daydreaming about the awesome hunting I had up there.

Last edited by Steve Fielder on 07-22-2016 at 02:00 PM

Old Post 07-22-2016 01:57 PM
Steve Fielder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steve Fielder Visit Steve Fielder's homepage! Find more posts by Steve Fielder Add Steve Fielder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Steve hit on a lot of valid points and I will echo this as Steve also pointed out. Each area of our Great Country has it's good points and bad points. I have lived in FL for 67 years and even when I was young and could get around the woods I never liked the mountains of TN, NC, etc. Swamps are hard but easier on me than any mountain hunting I did.
I think when we get into these conversations we tend to tell you about the worse spots no matter what state your talking about. Coon Hunters are a tough breed and do a lot in all States most other types of hunters wouldn't think of doing.

With that said, I feel I have some good places to hunt as long as the coon cooperate. When asked about coonhunting and what type of terrain you have to go through my answer has always been. You pull up to a spot and turn the dogs loose. They generally end up in the worse swamp or thickest woods the coon can find. Every now and then we tree one on the side of a road but not often.

What I love is year round hunting. Only exception is Spring Gobbler season. Still can find a few places to hunt as most of the rules are club based rules.

Where Mr. Webb is asking about they have some type of vine in that area that has claws like a cat and can rip most shirts to threads. I experienced it once back in the late 70's at the state hunt held in Chipley, FL Since then I have stayed on my side of the state.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 07-22-2016 at 04:47 PM

Old Post 07-22-2016 04:44 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I'm glad I live where I do. We have our own issues with snakes, mosquitoes and such but it’s tolerable. The winters are not bad. We have a good coon population on the entire east side of the state and great hunting. The best part is it's not hard to get permission and if you don’t feel like it we have beautiful public ground with coon that you can hunt 9 months of the year. Private ground is year round. I haven’t hunted everywhere but I have hunted several states and I have not seen better hunting then we have here.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 07-22-2016 06:33 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D.Shores
New UKC Forum Member

I live 100 miles north of where your at, Tates hell is pretty rough hunting we got some great woods to hunt but theres always a chance they gonna get where you dont want them to. I still go 4-5 nights a week and its not unusual to fill your boots up with water once a week.

Old Post 07-23-2016 08:54 AM
D.Shores is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D.Shores Click here to Send D.Shores a Private Message Click Here to Email D.Shores Find more posts by D.Shores Add D.Shores to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryan K Webb
UKC Forum Member

thanks for the replies.. We've been down the last couple of years and my family really likes the island.. I did actually pass several trucks with dog boxes on the way through the small towns on our way back to the interstate.. Good to see hunters still out hunting.. Some people would say that I live in a coon hunters paradise, but the part of Illinois I live in is actually hilly with a medium coon population compared to the rest of Illinois.. The crazy thing is we don't have many hunters left and deer hunting has gotten huge and the places to hunt are down to basically state or federal forest ground when deer season is in..

Old Post 07-24-2016 01:07 AM
Bryan K Webb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bryan K Webb Click here to Send Bryan K Webb a Private Message Click Here to Email Bryan K Webb Find more posts by Bryan K Webb Add Bryan K Webb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve Fielder
UKC Forum Member

Much of the negativity in my reply can be attributed to the fact that I'll be 70 years old. In the 70,s I hunted in Florida with John Miller of Tampa and in the 80's with Bill Slaughter and Wayne Bowman around Land O' Lakes and don't recall complaining. I hunted in thick rattlesnake country in West Texas in '69 and '70. Things change with age. I can still beat you to the tree on most ground but the fire that once drove me to a fever pitch now warms me to the idea of staying home most of these torrid Florida summer nights.

Old Post 07-24-2016 10:17 PM
Steve Fielder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steve Fielder Visit Steve Fielder's homepage! Find more posts by Steve Fielder Add Steve Fielder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Steve

I talked ro MR. B last night and he filled me in on a few things. Is everything still going your way. H L

Old Post 07-24-2016 11:55 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Steve, I didn't see much negativity in your post. Kind of told it like it is. You have hunted around the country 100 times more than most of us have and seen about all of it.

You didn't even mention the swamp roads you have to drive down here and the number of trucks they tear up.

Steve two summers ago I was only 65 and hunted about 5 nights a week through the summer. This year after some heath issues that I feel I am starting to use more for excuses I am down to one maybe two nights a week. Good news is fall is just around the corner.

Old Post 07-25-2016 03:39 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

Fla

Neither of yawl mentioned the Black Berry Briers down here lol but hey that's where the coons are so we go there Iv lived all my life in the North West Fla Area, we hunt mostly Branches and big creeks, I like to hunt the open swamps cause they are easier to get around in but the races aren't that long in the open swamps ! I hunt summer and winter and have never really had an issue with the snakes or Gators but I know they are there !
Pick your turnouts carefully and you can have some good hunts ! and bring plenty of Ice water cause its show nuff hot down here

Ray Hudson

Old Post 07-25-2016 04:01 PM
Ray&Luie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray&Luie Click here to Send Ray&Luie a Private Message Find more posts by Ray&Luie Add Ray&Luie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Steve/Bruce

Sounds like a good senior cast with me on it. Will turn the big 7...0 next Feb. Come on up to Iowa before winter & enjoy some good cornfield races!!! Was miserable last week with your humidity, but cool air & 60's tonight, so just might have to go tree a couple tonight. Take care, Ron

Old Post 07-25-2016 09:41 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
George pouliott
UKC Forum Member

Florida hunting

I went last night 11 pm sweating bullets training young dog's i hunt public land and just getting to a spot to hunt is hard for the roads tore up clubs are expensive here around 1800 $ a year and still don't have the best of roads 3 day's ago Annabelle got snake bit by a ground rattler i carry a book bag with benadryl and bandages quite a few bear too only had one issue with a gator but i cleaned him main thing is the heat its miserable and I've been here all my life but i still hunt it eventually I'll get to hunt some farmlands up north but I'm not big on snow either .

Old Post 08-07-2016 07:27 PM
George pouliott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for George pouliott Click here to Send George pouliott a Private Message Click Here to Email George pouliott Find more posts by George pouliott Add George pouliott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

florida

Florida!! ha that's just a place old folk go!! After they retire!! and all they do is sit around and complain about the weather!!like a bunch old ladies!! Yadkintar should join you all down there!! OOOhell no you guys have enough winers!!that would just add to it!!!lmao

Old Post 08-07-2016 11:49 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I sure am glad I don't have to hunt in Florida with those gators and snakes and swamps and mosquitoes.

Old Post 08-08-2016 01:57 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Re: Since you asked....

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Fielder
I moved to Florida three years ago. Having hunted in virtually every state where coon hunting with hounds exists, I would rate Peninsular Florida to be on the very bottom of the list of places for a coon hunter to enjoy releasing the dogs. My reasons are this:

1. Coon hunting, at least enjoyable coon hunting, is only possible in the winter months.

2. Florida is in the tropics meaning vegetation grows at warp speed and in many cases is impenetrable.

3. It's incredibly hot and humid here in the summer time.

4. Alligators are thick as fleas on a dog's back and live in the same habitat that coons live. They will kill and eat your hounds.

5. Cottonmouth water moccasins are found anywhere there's water as well. Rattlesnakes, the big, eastern diamondbacks with heads as big as your fist, are found in the palmettos and cane breaks that exist on higher ground.

6. Private land on which to hunt is in extreme short supply. The ranches where one can drive from bay head to bay head to spot hunt as we would do in the woodlots of the Midwest are being sold at record speed to developers. Public lands largely consist of pine scrub and sand with few hardwoods along the tributaries. I've lived here three years and without friends that have access to some existing ranches here in central Florida I would not have anything but state land to hunt.

7. Training pups here is extremely difficult due to all of the above reasons.

Despite all of the above, being able to hunt, if you can find a place, is great when everyone up north is iced in and suffering cabin fever. I lived in Michigan for 23 years and much of my time is spent daydreaming about the awesome hunting I had up there.

All that can be said for southeast GA also. We still go and deal with it, like most real coon hunters do.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 08-08-2016 03:29 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

I will take Ohio any winter over that.

I lived in Orlando area for a year and soon said see you later to florida. I can hunt way into winter most years. I enjoy the ice over sometimes just to get to see the hounds have to hunt out further to try and get a coon going.

Old Post 08-08-2016 05:10 PM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Rattlesnakes with heads as big as your fist,every kind of poisonous snake and spider god put on the continent and a bunch more he didn't,man/dog eatin gators.

Where do I sign Lmao

Bruce anaconda pond all yours buddy your a better man then I am. I'll stick to having to wear snow shoes couple months a year.

Old Post 08-08-2016 05:40 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

Florida

If you cant take the Heat Stay out of the Kitchen, cause its cookin right down here LOL. Im sure anyplace on the Gulf coast is pretty steamy right now , an it will be until mid October probably Morning Hunting is the best if you don't have to work ...

Ray Hudson

Old Post 08-08-2016 07:35 PM
Ray&Luie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray&Luie Click here to Send Ray&Luie a Private Message Find more posts by Ray&Luie Add Ray&Luie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote