UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Cur and Feist Classifieds > Omcba Cur Pup's
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yankeeman
UKC Forum Member

Omcba Cur Pup's

Anyone in N.Y or N.E. Pennsylvania raise this type of dog's? Thank's looking for a pup

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-30-2014 10:32 AM
yankeeman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yankeeman Click here to Send yankeeman a Private Message Click Here to Email yankeeman Find more posts by yankeeman Add yankeeman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
huntsmenbob
UKC Forum Member

Not many people around that have curs but a few. Your best bet is to look around some. A lot of good bred curs in Ohio which could possibly even be closer for you. Don't let proximity persuade you into getting a pup that doesn't have the proof behind it. It might cost you a little more to get one a little further away but if you can not find one that is a good prospect close you are better off paying a little more to get it home. Don't get me wrong there are some real good dogs in PA but usually not many pups available right handy. I am not a rich man myself, far from it, but when you consider your time and the cost of upkeep on a dog it is best to get one that has a real good shot at making it. You will have countless hours in the woods and likely a lot of gas money unless you are lucky. If you got $400 in a pup and getting it home and it doesn't have the breeding and up-close good dogs in it you are better off having $550 in a great bred pup with proven parents and getting it home. The difference is $150 and yes to me that is a lot of money I don't have but that $150 is more than made up for when you consider that for that extra $150 chances are a lot better that you are going to get a dog you like. That $150 doesn't even compare to the money you are going to have into that pup by the time you have it finished. I ain't a gambler but the odds are more in your favor with a good bred dog with good hunting parents.

I don't know if I am explaining what I am trying to say very well.

With that said Mike1999 has a couple awsome bred OMCBA pups that I wish I had the money and the game to get going and he is located in Ohio. The one pup has totaly awsome breeding in my book if he still has it.

Last edited by huntsmenbob on 10-30-2014 at 06:19 PM

Old Post 10-30-2014 06:14 PM
huntsmenbob is offline Click Here to See the Profile for huntsmenbob Click here to Send huntsmenbob a Private Message Click Here to Email huntsmenbob Find more posts by huntsmenbob Add huntsmenbob to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
huntsmenbob
UKC Forum Member

Sorry I thought I read you were in N.W. but still really believe in what I posted. I think CasB has an account here on the UKC forums. If you look him up he may be able to help you. He hunts hounds and some curs, mostly yote and cat dogs I think, but he is very knowledgeable of dog hunters in the area and he might be able to help you find what you want. I believe he is in the Moosic area nearer to your neck of the woods.

Old Post 10-31-2014 05:49 PM
huntsmenbob is offline Click Here to See the Profile for huntsmenbob Click here to Send huntsmenbob a Private Message Click Here to Email huntsmenbob Find more posts by huntsmenbob Add huntsmenbob to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
huntsmenbob
UKC Forum Member

Don't know if this will work for you or not but here is contact info if it does:

http://forums.ukcdogs.com/member.ph...amp;userid=1664

Old Post 10-31-2014 05:54 PM
Clanc
UKC Forum Member

Just curious, in your opinion what is the breeding that is needed up close?

Old Post 10-31-2014 10:00 PM
Clanc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clanc Click here to Send Clanc a Private Message Click Here to Email Clanc Find more posts by Clanc Add Clanc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
huntsmenbob
UKC Forum Member

Lots of possibilities but he should make sure that the parents are treedogs. The pup that Mike has that I really like the breeding of is out of Eagle and a female that is out of River Road Grizz and Nicholson breeding. I don't think a fellow could go wrong with that pup. I do also like dogs with Jukebox in them though but the proff is in the pudding and if every dog in the pedigree was a good one and the parents are good I feel you have a good shot. Other pup he has posted on SDC also a good prospect is out of a proven cross acording to him and his word is good to me. It is a Thunder Jukebox cross and if Eagle is the sire which I believe he is it should also be a good one. I know you don't like me but I have been following crosses for a lot of years even had a chance to get a pup out of the same litter as Boones Schoolhouse Bear and really wished I could have swung it. That was one cross I thought would be great and it turned out to be. I am thinking that pup with Eagle and that Grizz/Nicholson female ought to be a great cross. For the fact that Grizz and the Nicholson dogs are great dogs and Eagle is doing great and is a great dog from the hunt results he has attained. Eagle has a good amount of Busher dogs in him as does Grizz. You misread what I posted but you can think what you want about me. It really doesn't matter to me. I have been following these dogs for years. Just don't have the money or the spare time and I am not in the right location compared to the hotspots for good squirrel dogs. No easy fox squirrels here although I love it when I can go to where they are. Not many greys either. Acorn mast has been awful. Spotty at best for literaly 6-8 years here. Used to be a mecca for game now game is really sparse. 20 years ago turkey were like chickens here, deer were literaly all over, squirrel population was good, rabbit was decent but it has really gone downhill. I was out the other day went 3 miles and saw one acorn on the ground. It has been like this for years. Acorns are spotty and there are some areas with acorns but not around here. Got a good amount of coon but I have never hunted them because I don't have anyone to go with. I want to and might see if my old cur will tree some. Trying to talk my brother into trying coon hunting.

To sum it up my ideal cross is either all Busher or Busher mixed with bigger Jukebox and /or Thunder dogs. That is just what I have gathered throughout the years entered in with my personal preferance in a cur dog which is a good handle and ability. I personaly like a cur that is around 40 pounds or more but that is just my preference also with the amount of snow and cold weather we get here a dog that is of that size works a lot better and can bust through the snow.

Some dogs are competition dogs for reasons some are not but are good pleasure dogs that can put the meat on the table. A dog can tree every squirrel in the woods but not want to hunt with unfamiliar dogs. Some will tree every squirrel in the woods in any company. The later are the ones that you read about.

Jukebox dogs get the short end of the stick sometimes because they can tend to be more of a one man dog and some people think they are "people strange" and of course because of the other issues but I really like a dog that is also protective of my family.Thing is it seems to me that they are only protective in their home territory. Once you get them out of their yard it seems they are not territorial at all. They just got that protect the homestead instinct.

Old Post 11-01-2014 05:41 AM