UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Supplements??????
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jessica knight
UKC Forum Member

Supplements??????

Does anyone give there dogs joint and hip supplements? Are any other kind? Just wondering I want the best for my pups .

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-23-2019 01:36 AM
Jessica knight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jessica knight Click here to Send Jessica knight a Private Message Click Here to Email Jessica knight Find more posts by Jessica knight Add Jessica knight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigdiezel79
UKC Forum Member

Pick up some good feed keep their water clean and fresh, up to date on vaccinations and they will be fine. If you need to feed supplements you should just buy better feed.

Jeremy Harris

Old Post 11-23-2019 03:20 AM
bigdiezel79 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigdiezel79 Click here to Send bigdiezel79 a Private Message Click Here to Email bigdiezel79 Find more posts by bigdiezel79 Add bigdiezel79 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bigdiezel79
Pick up some good feed keep their water clean and fresh, up to date on vaccinations and they will be fine. If you need to feed supplements you should just buy better feed.

I would also a good wormer. I agree with every thing else.

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 11-23-2019 03:54 AM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Supplements??????

quote:
Originally posted by Jessica knight
Does anyone give there dogs joint and hip supplements? Are any other kind? Just wondering I want the best for my pups .

Glucosamine is good for old dogs. No need for anything extra for your pups other than what's listed above. Good quality feed, clean fresh water, regular wormer including for heart worms and I will add the necessity of keeping all dogs on flea and tick prevention.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Last edited by Redneck Mafia on 11-23-2019 at 04:36 AM

Old Post 11-23-2019 04:33 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:

The same thing people use to help with inflammation and joint health work as well for dogs. A good fish oil high in omega 3s ( wild caught cold water fish have higher omega 3s than famed fish) Glucosamine is also good for joint health. Both of these are readily available. With both of these you will need to do a larger dose for the first month to build the levels up. Dogs are expensive and we expect a lot out of them so why would you not want to help with there joint health.

Old Post 11-23-2019 05:02 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jessica knight
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by johnny reb
The same thing people use to help with inflammation and joint health work as well for dogs. A good fish oil high in omega 3s ( wild caught cold water fish have higher omega 3s than famed fish) Glucosamine is also good for joint health. Both of these are readily available. With both of these you will need to do a larger dose for the first month to build the levels up. Dogs are expensive and we expect a lot out of them so why would you not want to help with there joint health.

That’s exactly what I was thing . We have our pups on great food well at least I think so . I was just wondering because we have put a lot of money in these 3 pups already, which the food we feed has glucosamine in it I was also wondering if that’s enough for them. I just want the best for my hounds and I don’t want to run in to problems when they get older in the teens you know what I mean.

Old Post 11-23-2019 07:16 PM
Jessica knight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jessica knight Click here to Send Jessica knight a Private Message Click Here to Email Jessica knight Find more posts by Jessica knight Add Jessica knight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Check out alpha dog nutrition

Old Post 11-23-2019 08:40 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jessica knight
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by AAThoundhunter
Check out alpha dog nutrition

I definitely will.

Also what kind of flea and tick stuff do y’all use and wormer and all that?

Old Post 11-24-2019 12:32 AM
bigdiezel79
UKC Forum Member

I use Nexgaurd, It’s 50$ Every 6 months. It’s a chewable that you get from the vet along with heart worm meds. I also only use cedar shaving bedding and spray my kennel regularly with permethrin.

Jeremy Harris

Old Post 11-24-2019 01:12 PM
bigdiezel79 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigdiezel79 Click here to Send bigdiezel79 a Private Message Click Here to Email bigdiezel79 Find more posts by bigdiezel79 Add bigdiezel79 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I definitely will.

Also what kind of flea and tick stuff do y’all use and wormer and all that?

Jessica I also use Nexguard for fleas and ticks with no side affects,Ivermectin for heart worm prevention,All Wormer for the rest , I use corn cob bedding in the summer,and good dry grass hay in the winter for bedding hope this helps....

Old Post 11-24-2019 01:50 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jessica knight
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I use Nexgaurd, It’s 50$ Every 6 months. It’s a chewable that you get from the vet along with heart worm meds. I also only use cedar shaving bedding and spray my kennel regularly with permethrin.

We did have cedar shavings but a friend of ours told us not to use cedar with hounds because it will mess up there scent . There is actually an article about it to if I can find it I will try and figure out how to share it on this post. But since talking to that friend and reading that article I have talked to a couple old timer coon hunters and they have said the same thing. So quit using the cedar chips which sucks because it keeps them smelling good lol. I will definitely look in to all that thank you .

Old Post 11-24-2019 03:20 PM
Jessica knight
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cotton 1927
Jessica I also use Nexguard for fleas and ticks with no side affects,Ivermectin for heart worm prevention,All Wormer for the rest , I use corn cob bedding in the summer,and good dry grass hay in the winter for bedding hope this helps....

Yes it definitely helps thank you.

Old Post 11-24-2019 03:21 PM
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jessica knight
We did have cedar shavings but a friend of ours told us not to use cedar with hounds because it will mess up there scent . There is actually an article about it to if I can find it I will try and figure out how to share it on this post. But since talking to that friend and reading that article I have talked to a couple old timer coon hunters and they have said the same thing. So quit using the cedar chips which sucks because it keeps them smelling good lol. I will definitely look in to all that thank you . [/

Without trying to be a butt, be careful who you are taking advice from. Cedar shavings will in no way affect a dogs ability. I’ve had them in dog houses, dog boxes, and dog boxes made out of it filled with shavings and never had a dog perform any different with or without cedar shavings. That is an old wives tale like much of the stuff you will read on here.
You will never run a coon dog hard enough to worry about supplements making a difference for their body. When they age and get 7+ you can add some joint supplements to help prolong productivity but even then, a dog is not going to do much real hunting past the age of 10. A pleasure hunt here and there yes, but you can’t put 60 miles on them in 2 days like you can at 3-7.

Old Post 11-24-2019 03:56 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

1-800-petmeds. Super joint enhancer. Not a hunting dog, but have a Rottweiler/Pitt mix. Almost a year and a half ago. She could barely walk on her back legs. She did alot of balancing on her front legs. Especially after walking a 100 yards. We contiplated putting her down. Was suggested to try these.
Not kidding.. within 3 weeks, was really doing well. I could really see a diffetence. Recently, I saw her chase down a squirrel and catch it. An entirely different dog. I give her one every other day in the warm months and 1 a day in the colder months.
Don't know about hunting dogs, but I do swear by them.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 11-24-2019 05:12 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

I give Doc Roy's multi-vitamins. They're a 1 a day type of vitamins. Not sure if you have females but it can make a difference in the long run for them.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 11-24-2019 09:04 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jessica knight
UKC Forum Member

Yeah you definitely can’t believe everything you hear on the internet lol... I was just wondering if anyone was giving there dogs anything to help them more are what not . And yes I have one female right now we are looking to get another female. I will definitely look in to that vitamin too.

Old Post 11-24-2019 09:26 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

The dog is yours but the way I look at it, better be safe than sorry. And just because you feed a "higher end" dog food doesn't mean that you won't have health set backs with any dog. But it will minimize them for the most part, just like Jen said.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 11-25-2019 12:46 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost14
We did have cedar shavings but a friend of ours told us not to use cedar with hounds because it will mess up there scent . There is actually an article about it to if I can find it I will try and figure out how to share it on this post. But since talking to that friend and reading that article I have talked to a couple old timer coon hunters and they have said the same thing. So quit using the cedar chips which sucks because it keeps them smelling good lol. I will definitely look in to all that thank you . [/

Without trying to be a butt, be careful who you are taking advice from. Cedar shavings will in no way affect a dogs ability. I’ve had them in dog houses, dog boxes, and dog boxes made out of it filled with shavings and never had a dog perform any different with or without cedar shavings. That is an old wives tale like much of the stuff you will read on here.
You will never run a coon dog hard enough to worry about supplements making a difference for their body. When they age and get 7+ you can add some joint supplements to help prolong productivity but even then, a dog is not going to do much real hunting past the age of 10. A pleasure hunt here and there yes, but you can’t put 60 miles on them in 2 days like you can at 3-7.

Old Post 11-25-2019 02:43 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Say what you want about cedar shavings but I've had two dogs that were allergic to them. One was going to the world hunt and my handler lived in the same part of the country and got her just days before the hunt to get her and him familiar. He cleaned his kennel and put new cedar shaving in her box. After three days she was covered in big bumps and was in bad shape. Didn't get to hunt her. Took bath and benadril to get her straight.
Another friend had them in his dog box and I followed him down a rough woods road. When he hit a bump I could see dust come out his vents and his dog got out sneezing and blowing. Told him to clean out his box and that took care of things. For bedding I only use second cutting grass hay sprinkled with sevin for mites. No problems and dogs love them.

Old Post 11-25-2019 12:31 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost14

I’ll agree that most won’t hunt one hard enough to need performance based supplements. Supplements like being discussed for joint health is different. Just like you don’t do good or feel like doing much with aches joints. Your not going to get the best and maintain the best with bad joint health.

Old Post 11-25-2019 01:17 PM
Jessica knight
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
Say what you want about cedar shavings but I've had two dogs that were allergic to them. One was going to the world hunt and my handler lived in the same part of the country and got her just days before the hunt to get her and him familiar. He cleaned his kennel and put new cedar shaving in her box. After three days she was covered in big bumps and was in bad shape. Didn't get to hunt her. Took bath and benadril to get her straight.
Another friend had them in his dog box and I followed him down a rough woods road. When he hit a bump I could see dust come out his vents and his dog got out sneezing and blowing. Told him to clean out his box and that took care of things. For bedding I only use second cutting grass hay sprinkled with sevin for mites. No problems and dogs love them.

Dang that’s not good hopefully she was good after that. Our one pup has issues with cedar chips also and we found out that’s what it was because we had him in the house and at night we would put him in a pet porter so he would get in to stuff well I gave him a bath and the next morning he had beat red chest and his belly and everything was red . So we got different puppy soap because we thought it was that but it ended up being the cedar chips so we are using pine for them for right now but have been noticing that all three pups are dusty and smell bad. So now I am looking for something different that won’t cause dust and our one pup will be okay with.

Old Post 11-25-2019 01:48 PM
Jessica knight
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I’ll agree that most won’t hunt one hard enough to need performance based supplements. Supplements like being discussed for joint health is different. Just like you don’t do good or feel like doing much with aches joints. Your not going to get the best and maintain the best with bad joint health.

I guess because it’s in there food it will be okay. I am new to all this and the glucosamine is something we looked for in there food. I honestly just want the best for these pups

Old Post 11-25-2019 01:50 PM
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Dog food doesn’t have enough stuff in it for it to be beneficial. It’s not hurting but it’s not an amount to be beneficial.

Old Post 11-25-2019 02:16 PM
Jessica knight
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Dog food doesn’t have enough stuff in it for it to be beneficial. It’s not hurting but it’s not an amount to be beneficial.

That’s what I was thinking.

Old Post 11-26-2019 04:47 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Dang that’s not good hopefully she was good after that. Our one pup has issues with cedar chips also and we found out that’s what it was because we had him in the house and at night we would put him in a pet porter so he would get in to stuff well I gave him a bath and the next morning he had beat red chest and his belly and everything was red . So we got different puppy soap because we thought it was that but it ended up being the cedar chips so we are using pine for them for right now but have been noticing that all three pups are dusty and smell bad. So now I am looking for something different that won’t cause dust and our one pup will be okay with.

I use wheat straw in the winter no bedding in the summer except the dog box mats that are in there year around. I get new mats for the truck once a year and use the old ones in their houses. It does make a big difference especially for old dogs joints but even keeps the young ones from getting hair worn areas on elbows and shoulders where they lay. If your dogs are kept on flea and tick pills for preventative you will never have an issue with fleas and need anything but bedding for comfort and warmth in the winter - no chips or shavings of any kind.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 11-26-2019 07:57 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote