UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > No Leash Lock ?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

No Leash Lock ?

With the option to keep a dog on the leash if there is another dog treed or turn loose how long after scoring your tree do you have to decide if you want to turn loose or stay on the leash? How long/far can you walk your dog off the tree before turning back loose if that is your choice?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-11-2020 08:24 AM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

The decision to use your option to stay on the leash has to be made right after the scoring of your tree. If you go with this option you cannot change your mind your dog remains on the leash until you've scored the next ones tree unless it is determined that the dog has left the tree then you recut.
If you instead choose to recut off of your tree if there is another dog treed you are able to lead as far away as you are comfortable within reason UKC doesn't have a set time. If no dogs are treed and any dog(s) have been struck in you recut when a dog barks on trail (8 minute rule for barking on trail is in play in this scenario before you can recut even with the no leash lock rule).

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-11-2020 09:30 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
The decision to use your option to stay on the leash has to be made right after the scoring of your tree. If you go with this option you cannot change your mind your dog remains on the leash until you've scored the next ones tree unless it is determined that the dog has left the tree then you recut.
If you instead choose to recut off of your tree if there is another dog treed you are able to lead as far away as you are comfortable within reason UKC doesn't have a set time. If no dogs are treed and any dog(s) have been struck in you recut when a dog barks on trail (8 minute rule for barking on trail is in play in this scenario before you can recut even with the no leash lock rule).

Maybe I am wrong, but I have allowed the cast to walk about 100' and listen to make their decision. In case dog has left tree, or wants to cut a different direction. If dog quits treeing, you wait the 2 minutes... But once that decision is made, then yes to all above.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 07-11-2020 02:26 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

X2 Dan, without a time limit set you can walk pretty much as far as u want

Old Post 07-12-2020 02:52 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Thanks guys

Old Post 07-12-2020 03:34 AM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

The key with the leash lock rule is to keep dogs competing with each other, which is why a leashed dog is recut after hearing a running dog (declared struck) actually opening. Dogs opening should/would determine how far the distance traveled to actually recut would be in some cases, coupled with the judges discretion.

Old Post 07-13-2020 01:19 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

What it means is you don’t have to have first strike to win anymore and if ole deep and alone gets out of pocket we will tree coons walking to him.

Contrary to belief coons are social animals I score a tree I want to cut mine immediately!! Because there might be anouther one close.

Tar

Old Post 07-13-2020 01:54 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Some day the rest of the world will realize what a genius Tar really is or was depending on how long it takes!

Old Post 07-13-2020 03:36 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

2ol2hunt

Tar/Genius in one sentence may just be an oxymoron. Lol. Dave

Old Post 07-13-2020 05:46 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Mr.Dave

Tar is a walking encyclopedia on coonhunting and you might as well get on board!! Lol

Old Post 07-13-2020 05:59 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tar already knows what a genius he is and he doesn't care what everyone else thinks. We are just fortunate that he is willing to share his knowledge and experiences with the rest of us that aren't as fortunate.

Old Post 07-13-2020 06:02 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

NOW... y'all are beginning to catch on!!! We need to start a ground swell " MAKE COONHUNTING GREAT AGAIN" TAR for president!

Old Post 07-13-2020 06:12 PM
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Corey Gruver
The key with the leash lock rule is to keep dogs competing with each other, which is why a leashed dog is recut after hearing a running dog (declared struck) actually opening. Dogs opening should/would determine how far the distance traveled to actually recut would be in some cases, coupled with the judges discretion.

That all makes sense Corey , but where does it tell us that in the rules? I only ask cause this has been a point of “discussion” in some hunts I have been part of. I personally like to cut mine in a minute or less but some guys like to walk them across a field or over a ridge or along the corn field in the direction we are moving until they feel “comfortable” or the dog “gets gamey”. I like the idea of walking a set time and listening for another dog that is struck in or treed. Sometimes you are required to walk to where you last heard a dog to put time on it.

Old Post 07-13-2020 08:13 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Sonny

That’s what I was thinking too with no time limit you can walk your dog as far as you’d like really. I was on a cast and walked about a minute and re cast and my dog goes back to the same tree, of course, then we had to go score another dog that was 800 yards away, by the time we got back to mine the hunt was over. In reality I could have just walked him halfway there and then re cast, then I’m sure he wouldn’t have went back to the same tree. Just stuff to think about/learn from.

Old Post 07-13-2020 08:46 PM
trevorwade09
UKC Forum Member

Putting a set time of 30 seconds or 1 minute was up for vote at the rules discussion last year at Autumn Oaks. It did not pass. I can tell you that a lot of the discussion referenced the freedom to walk a little more or less depending on your surroundings and of course taking the other dogs in the cast into consideration.

UKC's position on this is to leave it up to the appointed judge to make sure that handlers don't walk any more or less than is deemed necessary. No competent, respectable judge would let you walk that far without cutting loose.

Old Post 07-13-2020 09:02 PM
trevorwade09 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trevorwade09 Click here to Send trevorwade09 a Private Message Click Here to Email trevorwade09 Find more posts by trevorwade09 Add trevorwade09 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetikman
UKC Forum Member

What if you score a dog on tree and no other dogs are struck in?

So if another dog is struck in you have to hear a dog bark before you cut back loose?

'Pr' Mabel's Treeing Blue Jay (bluetick)
GrCh 'Pr' Josh's Stylish Hitman 2nd in ukc (walker)
Ch 'Pr' Hard Knocking Deamon (walker)

Old Post 07-14-2020 01:01 AM
bluetikman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluetikman Click here to Send bluetikman a Private Message Find more posts by bluetikman Add bluetikman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Your right like tar or hate him he don’t care. Buuuuuuut how many were unselfish enough to battle for you for 6 long years to get you the rules you got to enjoy ?

Because your just sheep you wait for sombody else to do the work then criticize them because Lordy goodness they know how it works.

I paid my dues I don’t owe y’all squat.

Tar

Old Post 07-14-2020 01:57 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar

I paid my dues I don’t owe y’all squat.

Lol did you miss your nap today

Old Post 07-14-2020 02:11 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
Lol did you miss your nap today

All day long in 103 degree heat. I don’t have but one good nerve left and I ain’t doing intellectually challenged individuals wise cracks very well.

Tar

Old Post 07-14-2020 02:16 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Did you get your panties in a wad and wind up with Chaffed thighs? Or did you drink tea and wind up dehydrated and cranky? We all love you brother don't go and have a heat stroke, maybe Mr. Lambert will share some of his Special brownies with you if you ask politely. Lol. Dave

Old Post 07-14-2020 04:18 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by trevorwade09
Putting a set time of 30 seconds or 1 minute was up for vote at the rules discussion last year at Autumn Oaks. It did not pass. I can tell you that a lot of the discussion referenced the freedom to walk a little more or less depending on your surroundings and of course taking the other dogs in the cast into consideration.

UKC's position on this is to leave it up to the appointed judge to make sure that handlers don't walk any more or less than is deemed necessary. No competent, respectable judge would let you walk that far without cutting loose.

Respectable or not as a judge, you can’t make a handle do something that isn’t in the rules. Even if tar says so.... it can work for you or against you. You might get the raw end of the deal from it or you may benefit from. Bottom line is you can pretty well walk as far as you want to.

Old Post 07-14-2020 04:34 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
Respectable or not as a judge, you can’t make a handle do something that isn’t in the rules. Even if tar says so.... it can work for you or against you. You might get the raw end of the deal from it or you may benefit from. Bottom line is you can pretty well walk as far as you want to.

1. There is no punishment for going back to a tree in ukc.
2. I didn’t say it was a rule I train mine to recut from the tree.
3. You can’t tree coons on the leash.
4. If I have a dog that will tree his own coon and get a piece of your coon with these rules it’s going to long night for you.

Tar

Old Post 07-14-2020 11:47 AM
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Sonny

I like the idea of a set walk time to re-cut too. I'm not sure how practical that is, for various reasons. The problem with a discussion on the practicality of not having a "hard and fast" rule is, there is a lot of variation in how a recast can take place (to your point).

Last edited by Corey Gruver on 07-14-2020 at 01:37 PM

Old Post 07-14-2020 01:23 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
4. If I have a dog that will tree his own coon and get a piece of your coon with these rules it’s going to long night for you.

Tar

dig iin Tar I'm still with you!

Old Post 07-14-2020 03:08 PM
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Tar

I understand and agree with you, I was just saying that we can’t under current rule say when the dog has to be recut. Often times folks get in the culture of doing things a certain way or using a rule from a different registry (1 min). I personally would like cutting mine in a min or less most of the time. I am sure a situation would arise where I might choose to keep it on a leash till next tree is scored but it would be a “circumstance” that I would need to deal with in the moment .

Old Post 07-14-2020 08:02 PM