UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Yes or no but you can elaborate
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
O. Shelby
UKC Forum Member

I've never understood how people determine they get one good hound or one best dog ever. I've been very fortunate and have had countless. A few I'd like to have back, but none of trade straight across for what's on the end of my leash today.
Grade bluetick named Killer
Nt ch Arkansas Robo Gnt Ch Arkansas Lisa*
Gnt ch Mill Creek Rebel Gnt ch Hillbilly Willie
Gnt ch Black leg Sassy Grnt ch All Grand Kate
Drives Bullet Nt Ch Hillbilly Bone Slayer
Nt ch Little Levite Gnt ch Pkc WCh The Outsider
These are just the ones off the top of my head. I've had 23 in the pkc top 16 in Arkansas and two state Leaders. I don't believe a person only gets one.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-09-2019 12:53 AM
O. Shelby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for O. Shelby Click here to Send O. Shelby a Private Message Click Here to Email O. Shelby Find more posts by O. Shelby Add O. Shelby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

O. Shelby

We are not talking about good dogs, we are talking an exceptional dog, when or if you get one, you will know how those few that have had one knows their best dog. I have always tried to own the best dogs I could find and thought that I had owned some goid ones, that is until I hunted with my first real coondog. I found out fast what separates the good from the exceptional dog. I later bought that dog and he was my first real coondog. After knowing and seeing that kind of dog, I was never satisfied with just good, twenty years later, I was able to own my second real coondog and it was nearly 24 years later that I found my 3rd real coondog. All 3 if these digs were exceptional coon dogs, they did not care what others digs did, run trash, tree slick, not hunt, you name it, they were not affected by other dogs behavior, all they done was tree coons and that's all they had on their minds. They all were deadly accurate, track driving dogs, I think you get the picture. Your hunting buddies will tell you that they have never seen one like that before, most people haven't, some will say they don't exist. Seeing is believing, I hope you get to see one some day. Dave

Old Post 09-09-2019 01:22 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
O. Shelby
UKC Forum Member

Dave you just described most of the dogs on my list. And I'm not blind. I know what they were. And I'm not the guy that says I have a good one behind the barn. All of those dogs proved themselves in the hunts. I'm lucky and hunted my early years with absolutely some of the best houndsman. Guys that made a living skinning coons. Maybe I picked up some of the trade. Most of the dogs where either bought young or raised at my house. And if my good dog died tonight I'd have me another by this time next year I'm sure of it.

Old Post 09-09-2019 02:00 AM
O. Shelby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for O. Shelby Click here to Send O. Shelby a Private Message Click Here to Email O. Shelby Find more posts by O. Shelby Add O. Shelby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr, Shelby

I am always in need of one like I described and if they are that common for you, I will buy one . I have hunted and bought the best I could find for over 50 years and I have only seen 3 like I described. Either you are one lucky guy or our standards are different. If you have one for sell like I described I will try my best to buy it in the woods. Just being clear, I mean no disrespect to you by my comments, it's just been rare for me to see the kind of dog I describe as a true coondog. I too have owned several really nice dogs, but I knew they were just that and not exceptional. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 09-09-2019 at 03:09 AM

Old Post 09-09-2019 02:53 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CWard
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mr, Shelby

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I am always in need of one like I described and if they are that common for you, I will buy one . I have hunted and bought the best I could find for over 50 years and I have only seen 3 like I described. Either you are one lucky guy or our standards are different. If you have one for sell like I described I will try my best to buy it in the woods. Dave

Amen I’m with u Mr. Dave! They are hard to come by. It seems Brains, track, tree, and understanding! is hard to come by. And what I mean by understanding is I had 1 and I mean 1ONE! that I believe knew what I was gonna say b4 I said it. I wish they all understood English.

Old Post 09-09-2019 03:11 AM
CWard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CWard Click here to Send CWard a Private Message Find more posts by CWard Add CWard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
O. Shelby
UKC Forum Member

You're more than welcome to buy the one I have now. I hunted him in 15 casts last month won 12 of them. He made 21 trees 19 of them by himself 20 of them plussed one circle. He barks it's a coon. He locates he is treed and will have it. I've had him for going on three years. He was 2 and half when I got him and had been to the woods about 15 times. Pkc Gold ch and a UKC nite champion with 4 or 5 wins.

Old Post 09-09-2019 04:33 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

O Shelby

Sounds like you have a real nice dog, and yes, I would buy him if he fits my description, not just nice but exceptional. I own 3 pretty nice dog and 1 over the hill exceptional dog that's nearly 14 years old ( Dec). Send me a pm regarding your price and location. Dave

Old Post 09-09-2019 04:47 AM
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

I have hunted in 25 different states and owned and hunted 100s of young dogs and pups, truck loads of Gr. Nite Chs. and hunted with many of the so called once in a life time coon hounds. I could count on one hand the dogs that were once in a life time track dogs and would have fingers left.. Now here is a thread that everyone has owned one.. when 99% for all coon hunters have never seen or hunted with a "Real Track Dog" I'm not trying to be smart but I have hunted for 50 years and I do believe this. Till next time: See you later and Good hunting.... Ed Hutzel

Old Post 09-09-2019 12:58 PM
edwardfasteddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for edwardfasteddy Click Here to Email edwardfasteddy Find more posts by edwardfasteddy Add edwardfasteddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Re: Ron Moore

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Have you ever owned a true coondog one that stood out from all the rest you had ever seen? A dog that amazed all that hunted with it, never had to make an excuse for, made treeing coon look easy, made good dogs look bad. When you get that kind of dog, you will know what some if us are saying. Now, there is always going to be another dog that comes along that measures up to that standard, but not very often and rarely does the same man have the good fortune to own more than one in a lifetime. I consider myself blessed to have owned 3 dogs that met my standards of being that kind if coondog. Dave

Mr. Dave,
I do appreciate your comments on my post and respect them all but I have owned and hunted with some pretty dang good dogs in the last 50+ years. I will never say I have had the best because in my honest opinion, there's no such thing. The best to you may not be the best to me or someone else. By no means am I trying to insult your intelligents because there's no doubt you've had some top hounds. I could never say I've owned or hunted with the best when I haven't hunted with all the dogs in this country. I will not boast on what I have had because you haven't hunted with them and there's no way you could judge them nor I yours. I enjoy hunting what I have at this time and I figured out years ago that there's a little more to coon hunting than a top dog. Dogs will come and go but a true dedicated hunting partner, well they don't come along every day. My wish is for everyone to hunt the best that they can and enjoy what they have and remember to leave a good impression where ever you go....Thanks, Ron

Old Post 09-10-2019 02:17 AM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ron Moore

Thanks for such a respectful answer to my question. I understand exactly what you are saying in your answer. My comments regarding an exceptional dog were only made to acknowledge that they do exist, but are rare. I have hunted many more nights with average or pretty good dogs than I have ever hunted with an exceptional coondog. I have also, been fortunate to hunt with the exceptional dog that showed me what a dog could be capable of doing, boy does that spoil a man. A dog like that makes a man want to hunt every night and I did hunt every night except Sunday. I realize that some, maybe most hunters will never see that kind of dog operate, but they will know if they ever see one like that. Dave. P.S. I never said they were the best ever, only that they were exceptional.

Last edited by Dave Richards on 09-10-2019 at 04:31 AM

Old Post 09-10-2019 04:19 AM