UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > how to get a pup to tree better?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Harry Plotter
UKC Forum Member

i just dont understand. there has to be more going on. it seems the stuff changes from post to post on his part. dog is treeing good and consistent. dog is leaving trees if he ain't there quick. then it's she just quits barking. then it's because of a neighbor and using a bark collar. i guess i figured he was smart and if the dog was treeing good already and then he put a bark collar on and she quit treeing and wanting to leave trees that it would have been obvious. like i said when you got to make excuses for a dogs performance it might not be what you want and trying to make it that usually ain't gonna happen. maybe he's just green. i remember them days.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-22-2012 06:36 AM
Harry Plotter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Harry Plotter Click here to Send Harry Plotter a Private Message Click Here to Email Harry Plotter Find more posts by Harry Plotter Add Harry Plotter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whiskey1117
UKC Forum Member

If ud like harry plotter ill pm u my adress n u can send a check to put a better pup n my kennel but untill then im goin to give a 13 month old pup every chance i can i firmly believe after ready the helpful poste on this thread that its a man made problem and can be corected not a inherited problem......im in the woods now with out her shock collar on to see if thats the problem and to clear things up she doesnt have a problem leaving trees shes left 2 that i tryed to stop n let her start treeing again before I went to her and shell tree clear up until im close enough to shine her with the light.....think you VERY much lyle for being helpful with my question

Old Post 03-22-2012 08:15 AM
whiskey1117 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for whiskey1117 Click here to Send whiskey1117 a Private Message Click Here to Email whiskey1117 Find more posts by whiskey1117 Add whiskey1117 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan Dogs
UKC Forum Member

if you have shot a gun around her at the tree before, could be she is a tad bit gun shy..not all dogs tuck their tail and run. watch her body language when you walk in to her. is she happy to see you or does she drop her tail down. sometimes dogs are a little uneasy around gun shots but will usually come out of it.

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Old Post 03-22-2012 08:52 PM
Dan Dogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Dogs Click here to Send Dan Dogs a Private Message Click Here to Email Dan Dogs Find more posts by Dan Dogs Add Dan Dogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Harry Plotter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by whiskey1117
If ud like harry plotter ill pm u my adress n u can send a check to put a better pup n my kennel but untill then im goin to give a 13 month old pup every chance i can i firmly believe after ready the helpful poste on this thread that its a man made problem and can be corected not a inherited problem......im in the woods now with out her shock collar on to see if thats the problem and to clear things up she doesnt have a problem leaving trees shes left 2 that i tryed to stop n let her start treeing again before I went to her and shell tree clear up until im close enough to shine her with the light.....think you VERY much lyle for being helpful with my question

how'd it go. did she stay treed. i ain't trying to be smart or throwing off. i just was giving an honest opinion. i can only go by what you say. like i said i figure there's more to your situation. i hope it gets fixed. but if it don't you just move on. that's the way it goes sometimes. if it's just manmade i guess you did it so you can fix it too. and if you want a check to buy another i suggest you go earn one. now that's just a joke about your entitledness. from what i read on here you can get a good one gave to you if your a hard hunter.

Old Post 03-23-2012 05:48 AM
Harry Plotter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Harry Plotter Click here to Send Harry Plotter a Private Message Click Here to Email Harry Plotter Find more posts by Harry Plotter Add Harry Plotter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

I'd like to know how it's going in a month or so myself when she is 14 months old , Might not be a Quick fix like most would like but consistency and pup maturity pays off.

Old Post 03-23-2012 06:28 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whiskey1117
UKC Forum Member

She started her heat cycle i took her and she was a complete idiot couldn't figure out wut was going on so i went back home pissed off and check on her this morning and shes all swelled up and starting to drip......i been watching her cuz shes been acting different and figured this might has something to do so ill let u know wen i get to start working her again and hopefully she'll come around with time

Old Post 03-23-2012 06:33 AM
whiskey1117 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for whiskey1117 Click here to Send whiskey1117 a Private Message Click Here to Email whiskey1117 Find more posts by whiskey1117 Add whiskey1117 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whiskey1117
UKC Forum Member

She's still got growing up to do so im hoping that keeping her in the wood and hope she keeps improving with age

Old Post 03-23-2012 06:36 AM
Harry Plotter
UKC Forum Member

heat cycles effect females different. hormones and thyroids can make a dog get all out of whack.

Old Post 03-23-2012 06:51 AM
l.lyle
Banned

Whiskey, I got me a cur/hound september before last nine months old and ready to start. Problem was she was in a frame of mind that she did not like me at that age. You would have thought I stole her the way she acted towards me. (and I realize this has absolutely nothing to do with your dog) . Well, it got to be Thanksgiving before I felt I could trust to take her hunting. She did alright and I shot a few coons out to her the other dogs had treed . Then she started to loving me. She got to running like a striped ass ape as they say and straight as an arrow.Coon on the brain. Then the Heat cycle happened along and I had to lay her up. Then I had a couple of weeks to hunt her before the alligators came out and I had to lay her up all summer. When October rolled back around she had had 7 months to think about it siiting around in the pen. She treed the second coon she run like she had been doing it for years but she was an "old thing " at 21 months by then. Sometimes you just have to read it in a dogs eyes.
Also I have got rid of some 12 months olds that were treeing at 5 months old but farting around and not getting any better . But Lord they could tree. They was easy to shuck off from me and even put some change in my pocket going jing aling aling. LOL

Old Post 03-23-2012 07:00 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote